PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

chapo123
10-11-2008, 11:36 AM
this is just my take and opinions on this season so far and I 'd like to see happen in the draft:

-trade down and pick up a 2nd and 4th rd pick in the 1st

1. wr -julian iglesias: would pair up nicely w/josh morgan since the depth is not very good and johnson is a fa after this season
2.ot -alex boone: along w/joe staley he is a massive body and can help protect whoever will be playing qb next season since sf has already given up 19 sacks
2. og - kraig urbik: ditto
3. cb - brandon underwood: walt harris is 35 and a fa, s.spencer tore his acl and sf secondary gets burnt up more than a foreman grill. cb would be great here.
4. olb - clay matthews: spikes,ulbrich are getting the ages and matthews can play in and out
4. de - eric moncur: sf needs to place more pressure @ the line of scrimmage. this gives them a fresh body they can rotate in and out.
5. qb - john parker wilson: smith is gone after this yr, hill couldent beat him out, and jto is playing like garbage. very low key qb to groom. its a very weak qb class.
6. wr - mike thomas: in the shaun mcdonald mold. good pick for martz.
7. c - alex fletcher: sf o-line is weak and beatup. the qb needs better protection otherwise sf will end up going thru quite a bit @ this rate.

CJSchneider
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Way to soon for me to predicting anything past the 2nd round with any accuracy but, here are the top 4 positions in order I think we should go after.

1 WR or OL
2 OL or WR
3 DE
4 DB

Brent
10-11-2008, 08:17 PM
It's not even halfway through the season. I don't think it's even reasonable to think about this. Discussing positions of need aren't even relevant at this point because we don't know who is coming back or who will get cut.

Borat
10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Well, this is a draft site ...

Brent
10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, this is a draft site ...

True but I think at this point it's more about rating prospects and not about who a team should take.

Menardo75
10-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah I know we are all used to our season being over at this point, but lets hold off on this right now. Knock on wood

Madirishman
10-12-2008, 01:36 PM
The Niners or Cardinals will win the NFC West. We have a chance to take over 1st Place today. Let's hold off Draft talk and projections for a couple more weeks. Go Niners!

chapo123
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
u guys are right...let's hold off on wins like the one sf blew today as well right?

Madirishman
10-12-2008, 07:13 PM
That's the 3rd Win they gave away/couldn't hold onto this year. What a joke.

chapo123
10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
That's the 3rd Win they gave away/couldn't hold onto this year. What a joke.

no kidding

FG4prez
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
yea after today i think we can talk about draft stuff any time we want. i'd like to see us draft the monster NT cody from alabama. OT should also be priority, and then wr and qb. of course, you gotta draft by talent instead of by need. i still cant believe no desean jackson this year. yay balmer you look great out there

Madirishman
10-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Though Balmer was a surprise, I'm not totally against the pick, nor am I regretful we didn't take Jackson in the 1st. It's always easier to fall in love with the skill position players as they are the ones that make the highlights, not the guys in the trenches who often determine which team wins and which team loses.

We've lost our games in the trenches this year, either not blocking well enough, or allowing the other team to continue to jam the run down our throats, running out the clock.

Borat
10-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Though Balmer was a surprise, I'm not totally against the pick, nor am I regretful we didn't take Jackson in the 1st. It's always easier to fall in love with the skill position players as they are the ones that make the highlights, not the guys in the trenches who often determine which team wins and which team loses.

We've lost our games in the trenches this year, either not blocking well enough, or allowing the other team to continue to jam the run down our throats, running out the clock.

100% agree. WRs aren't our problem. We have serious O-line and D-line problems. Philly's massive O-line was moving our D-line 3-4 yards off the ball in the first half. I thought they were going to score 7 every possession. They owned us in the 4th quarter too. We have to get bigger and stronger players on both sides of the line to be a legitimate playoff team.

Menardo75
10-13-2008, 05:46 PM
100% agree. WRs aren't our problem. We have serious O-line and D-line problems. Philly's massive O-line was moving our D-line 3-4 yards off the ball in the first half. I thought they were going to score 7 every possession. They owned us in the 4th quarter too. We have to get bigger and stronger players on both sides of the line to be a legitimate playoff team.

Totally agree

chapo123
10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
yea after today i think we can talk about draft stuff any time we want. i'd like to see us draft the monster NT cody from alabama. OT should also be priority, and then wr and qb. of course, you gotta draft by talent instead of by need. i still cant believe no desean jackson this year. yay balmer you look great out there

how about a qb in the later rounds and re-sign jto for another season until sf can decide what its going to do?
wr should still be looked @ along w/ot and guards

Brent
10-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Chase Patton!

49ersfan_87
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
If i had to categorize offensive and defensive needs

Offense
-QB (we wont go anywhere with Sully or Hill)
-OT
-OG
-Backup RB

Defense (4-3)
-DT
-DE (Pass Rusher)
-OLB
-CB

Didnt say FS because i think Reggie Smith is our FS of the future. CB would have been higher but i am sold on Tarrell Brown. He's played well whenever ive seen him with the exception of one Desean Jackson reception.

Brent
10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
if are going to speculate on offensive positions:

QB - obviously we need a franchise guy, hopefully it wont be someone taken high and thrown into the fire

RB - a back up would be good but I don't think it's critical

RT - Gebus do we need a better RT

I would love to see us take Bomar but I am just a homer since I used to go to SHSU.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Put me on the Matt Stafford bandwagon. Yes it would require a high pick and a lot of money but York has to pay for putting us through another year of Nolan.

I don't think o-line is really that big of an issue. I think the protection issues are more of Martz's scheme then the players itself....expect for Barry Sims, he doesn't get a free pass.

I agree with everyone else the d-line must be addressed. They are getting blown off the line and it would benefit Pattywagon a lot more then drafting a TED.

Brent
10-13-2008, 10:57 PM
If they take a QB in round one, his ass better ride pine for at least a year. I hate when teams throw rookies into the fire. Unless they have the mental strength of Matt Ryan (that guy's unreal), I feel they should ride the bench.

Menardo75
10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
RT is the biggest need right now. Next I would say a top notch D-lineman unless Balmer works out too early to tell though. Right now RT whould be what I would go with.

Madirishman
10-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Put me on the Matt Stafford bandwagon. Yes it would require a high pick and a lot of money but York has to pay for putting us through another year of Nolan.

Hilarious! :) Pay up York!

CJSchneider
10-14-2008, 09:55 AM
After the Philly game, my order is now:
O-Line
DE
WR
DB
QB - I think given the tools Sullivan can do the job

Menardo75
10-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes I still have all the confidence that JT is the guy. It seemed like all the scouting reports on him early in his career were he eventually could turn into a very good NFL QB.

Brent
10-14-2008, 05:53 PM
After this past game, I don't believe he's going to be the guy. He seems prone to throwing into coverage.

chapo123
10-15-2008, 12:33 AM
the thing about this years class of qb's...unless tebow or strafford come out it would be wise to get a qb in the latter part of the draft

BackwoodsBoy
10-15-2008, 02:43 AM
Now that our injuries are starting to heal (Stallworth, Tucker, Steinbach and Hadnot) and our offense is getting back on track, if Derek Anderson continues to be consistent, do you think the 9ers would be interested for a reasonable price? I think DA is perfect for Mike Martz system since he loves going deep and is accurate doing so. He's also good at short dump offs and screens to backs. I think Martz system would eliminate for the most part his glaring weakness of throwing the midrange ball accurately.

Brent
10-15-2008, 09:10 AM
No because DA will take too much in return and doesnt have a fast enough release for Martz.

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah his release is too slow he is a vertical passing game QB. J.T. is just young he will get it.

Brent
10-15-2008, 02:13 PM
J.T. is just young
he's 30, not 24

Madirishman
10-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't see DA having more success than JT in the Martz system.

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 08:44 PM
he's 30, not 24

He is young as far as playing experience goes.

Zyro_1014
10-15-2008, 09:14 PM
You guys need to draft Marc Sanchez and all of your problems will go away :)

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 09:33 PM
You guys need to draft Marc Sanchez and all of your problems will go away :)

Not Mark Sanchez, but more Sc guys in general for sure :). Seriously would not mind seeing, Clay Matthwes, Rey Rey, Brian Cushing, Fili Miloa, or Kevin Ellison as Niners next year.

Zyro_1014
10-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Not Mark Sanchez, but more Sc guys in general for sure :). Seriously would not mind seeing, Clay Matthwes, Rey Rey, Brian Cushing, Fili Miloa, or Kevin Ellison as Niners next year.

WHO WOULDNT! ;)

How scary would Rey and Pat Willis in the middle of that linebacking core be?

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
WHO WOULDNT! ;)

How scary would Rey and Pat Willis in the middle of that linebacking core be?

Oh man I get guy cramps just thinking about it. Really would like Cushing though.

Madirishman
10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
If tall these SC guys are such studs then why isn't Chilo playing yet then?

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Cause he is a project player.

Brent
10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
or maybe Nolan is just favoring vets over younger players like usual (see: Dashon Goldson)?

Madirishman
10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, if we continue to suck, Chilo will get some starts. Hopefully Baas too. It's really time he plays.

Menardo75
10-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah I think Brent is right. they are trying to work Baas into the lineup....sorta

Madirishman
10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Wragge is a nice story, but he and Sims do not deserve to start. There's a reason Gore runs left most of the time!

Menardo75
10-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Tony has been pretty solid. Sims however does have to go.

rainbeaukid2
10-19-2008, 10:28 PM
although i hate to say it, 6 games into the season, i think it is time to start looking towards the offseason. i have to think that this just happens to be another wasted nolan year and that there needs to be many changes brought to the team be it players via free agency and the draft, or coaches, or whatever.

A list of the FA's at the end of this year:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Major Names to look at:
Julius Peppers DE/OLB
Terrell Suggs DE/OLB
Karlos Dansby LB
Bart Scott LB
Jordan Gross OT
Mike Goff OL
Marc Colombo OL
Mark Tauscher OL
Dunta Robinson CB
Nnamdi Asomugha CB
Dawan Landry S

A list of the college players going to the draft will be up on this site as we get closer to the offseason, unfortunately which i am already looking towards

Positions of Need:
1. Offensive Line-regardless of the QB, no one can make plays with no time
2. Quarterback-JTO sucks, has more turnovers than anyone in the league
3. Passrush-be in on the defensive line or the outside linebackers, its nonexistent
4. Secondary-hopefully Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith, and Tarell Brown turn into good players, otherwise we will need to start looking at replacements because Harris is getting old, Spencer is always hurt, Lewis is a liability, and Roman just simply isn't a playmaker
5. Receiver-hopefully this last game shows us, on the good notes, what Josh Morgan can do. If he can become more consistent, he could become a playmaker.

any thoughts?

49ersfan_87
10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Major Needs

1- QB
2- OT
3- DT
4- Pass Rusher
5- C/OG
6- TE

HC Candidates- Jim Harbaugh, Todd Haley, Jim Schwartz, Russ Grimm, Steve Spagnulo.

McCloughan's job shouldnt be safe. He doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt. Id wait until the end of the season to decide his fate, but he certainly should watch out. Not sure who we can replace him with, but we should pluck someone from a great drafting team (Colts, Pats, Giants, etc).

FA- Jordan Gross or Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth is probably going to be re-signed but if he isnt we need to overspend on this guy. We'll have a ton of cap space since Smith and Jennings are gone, hopefully Vernon Davis too.

Brent
10-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I think the needs are pretty clear but if I were to rank them, I'd say:

1 - QB - Pretty obvious.
2 - RT - Sims isn't awful but he's not good.
3 - DT - We look awful against the runs up the middle
4 - DE/LB - SOMEONE who can get some pressure.

Menardo75
10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Major Needs

1- QB
2- OT
3- DT
4- Pass Rusher
5- C/OG
6- TE

HC Candidates- Jim Harbaugh, Todd Haley, Jim Schwartz, Russ Grimm, Steve Spagnulo.

McCloughan's job shouldnt be safe. He doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt. Id wait until the end of the season to decide his fate, but he certainly should watch out. Not sure who we can replace him with, but we should pluck someone from a great drafting team (Colts, Pats, Giants, etc).

FA- Jordan Gross or Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth is probably going to be re-signed but if he isnt we need to overspend on this guy. We'll have a ton of cap space since Smith and Jennings are gone, hopefully Vernon Davis too.

Why should McCloughan go? He has been awesome putting talent on the team. I think San Fran needs to decide what defense they are going to play in the offseason. Barry Sims is garbage RT is a big need unless Snyder gets moved there and either Baas or Rachal starts at LG.

Brent
10-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I believe Snyder is going to stay at guard. He spent all offseason playing/practicing there.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah I guess that is fine. The thing that is good is if the Niners have a high pick they will definitly be able to find a very good RT.

Borat
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM
The only OL starter I want to see starting next year is Staley and that should be at RT:

LT - Rookie 1st rounder. Smith/Oher/Monroe are all beasts.
LG - Bass. He's the best guard we got right now. Snyder blows.
C - Ummm, we need to hit the market.
RG - Rachal. I liked what I saw in preseason. He should be playing right now. Wragge is OK as a backup.
RT - Staley. I'm pretty sure he's going to be decent, but not great.

As for our needs:

1. LT - badly need a franchise guy.
2. NT - Haven't had a great one in a looooooooong time.
3. OLB/DE - Speed rusher that can create havoc.
4. CB - Clements is fine. Will be legit with a coach that has a clue how to use him. Need a better No. 2. Brown/Smith are fine as nickel/dime backs.
5. QB - gotta develop somebody. Let JTO/FA take the lumps for a year while we get our line straightened out.
6. C - we suck up the middle.
7. ILB - can get away with what we got now, but eventually need a better compliment to PWillie, unless we go 4-3.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Staley is the Franchise LT. The need is at RT. I think Hietmann is a pretty solid center.

Borat
10-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Staley is the Franchise LT.
Then we're in big trouble. He's slightly above average, but I wouldn't label him a franchise LT. Think about the franchise LTs in the league. I don't put Staley in their class.

The need is at RT. I think Hietmann is a pretty solid center.

Meh. We could do much better.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Joe is still getting used to it he gets better every week. I have played all five spots and it definitly takes time to get used to the switch. Especially at tackle.

49ersfan_87
10-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Why should McCloughan go? He has been awesome putting talent on the team. I think San Fran needs to decide what defense they are going to play in the offseason. Barry Sims is garbage RT is a big need unless Snyder gets moved there and either Baas or Rachal starts at LG.

We do have some talent but our drafts have been mediocre for the most part. Look at 05. That should be the foundation of our team. We got gore, and busted on pretty much every other pick. Baas cant even start and Snyder is just average.

Then we're in big trouble. He's slightly above average, but I wouldn't label him a franchise LT. Think about the franchise LTs in the league. I don't put Staley in their class.

Meh. We could do much better.

No love for Cody Wallace?

I think im going to go watch some Americas game about the 89 and 94 49ers tommorow. Need to wash the taste of this team out of my mouth. Walsh, Seifert, Young, Montana, Lott, Rice, Rathman, Craig, Jones, Sanders, Hanks, Barton, Cross, Watters, Floyd, Turner,Norton...those were the days.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
We do have some talent but our drafts have been mediocre for the most part. Look at 05. That should be the foundation of our team. We got gore, and busted on pretty much every other pick. Baas cant even start and Snyder is just average.

Alright well we will look at the hits in the draft since Mccloughan.

2nd - David Baas- Has had trouble staying healthy but is good when playing

3rd - Frank Gore- One of the best RBs in the NFL

3rd - Adam Snyder- Pretty solid starter no matter where he has been

5th - Ron Fields - Pretty consistant has worked his way into the rotation still on the team

7th - Billy Bajema - Solid blocking TE still with the team

Results 5/11 - Yeah not greatwith two full time starters, one part time, one pro bowler, and three role players

1st - Vernon Davis - Great blocker not been used properly, thus I believe adding to his inconsistancy in the recieveing game

1st - Manny Lawson - Very good starter and special teams player. Has also not been handled correctly to his talents. Injuries have hurt as well

4th - Michael Robinson - Great special teams player. Pretty good offensive weapon never gets played though

5th - Parys Haralson - Solid starter very good against the run and good pass rusher

6th Delaine Walker - Very good special teams player, has ability in the recieveing game

6th Marcus Hudson - Pretty good physical dime CB

6/9 Pretty good draft class there lots of talent.

1st - Patrick Willis - this man needs no introduction

1st - Joe Staley - Appears to be the Franchise LT gets better every week

3rd - Ray Mcdonald - Appears to be maturing into a very good player

4th Dashon Goldson - Has starting potential played solid when given the opportunity

5th Tarrell Brown - Showed starting ability played well as the nickel

5/9 A little early to fully evaluate this one, but this is what it looks like so far.

Looking at the overview I see a lot of talent, but nobody that has been able to put it all together on the field.

Brent
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I dont know why I didnt think of this before but I hope that the organization gives it a try (this is assuming that Martz stays with the team):

1) Re-negotiate the contract with Alex to keep him at least to training camp and see if, when he's healthy and knows the offense, can he perform well and be the starter for this franchise (after spending this year learning Martz's system).

2) Draft a QB later in the draft (4th round or something to that effect since I dont believe we will have a shot at Stafford) who can sit and learn behind whoever-the-hell is starting, whether that be Alex or JTO or Hill or some random FA pick up.

Obviously, if Alex doesnt earn the starting job and wont take a drastic pay cut you kick his ass to the curb. Remember, the thinking inside the organization is that, if Alex were to be healthy and know the offense, he'd be better in it than JTO by the latter part of this season. So, if he will take a cut to stay here ('cause Nolan is gone) and the same system is in place, why not keep him around?

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I dont know why I didnt think of this before but I hope that the organization gives it a try (this is assuming that Martz stays with the team):

1) Re-negotiate the contract with Alex to keep him at least to training camp and see if, when he's healthy and knows the offense, can he perform well and be the starter for this franchise (after spending this year learning Martz's system).

2) Draft a QB later in the draft (4th round or something to that effect since I dont believe we will have a shot at Stafford) who can sit and learn behind whoever-the-hell is starting, whether that be Alex or JTO or Hill or some random FA pick up.

Obviously, if Alex doesnt earn the starting job and wont take a drastic pay cut you kick his ass to the curb.

I think that is exactly what should be done. If the team has a bad record at the end of the year, which is looking very possible I am sure they could get Alex so stay by telling him there will be a competition.

dan77733
10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
My early 2009 off-season -

HEAD COACH - Fire Mike Nolan. Hire Mike Holmgren if possible. I would offer him $10m a year to come back. If he takes it, great. If not, move on. I would do this quickly though as I wouldnt want to get the team in a situation like after Norv Turner left. I dont want any damn coordinator from any other team whatsoever because I have a feling its not going to work out for us. I want the next HC to be someone who's good, has experience, leadership and that the players and other coaches will respect. I also want an offensive HC. I know that Holmgren is 50/50 at best but another reason why I want him is because he can develop QB's. He did it with Favre and Hasselbeck. Since QB is our biggest problem and taking everything else into consideration, im sure that everyone can see why I would do whatever it takes to bring Holmgren home.

Bill Cowher would be next on the list wth Mike Singletary third. I dont want a coordinator or assistant coach being our next HC but if that was to happen, I would go with Singletary as the players like and respect him.

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Marty Mornhinweg. I know some dont like him and I'll admit that he sucked as a HC in DET (but who hasnt?) but he's one hell of an OC. He also runs the WCO and when you add him and Holmgren, the offense will definitely get back on track with the two of them working together.

Cam Cameron would be second on my list with Norm Chow third and the favorite if for whatever reason, ARZ wants to trade Leinart in the off-season. I dont see that happening but then again, who the hell knows?

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Rob Ryan. I know Borat and others may not like him but at look at what he's done in OAK. His defense is the reason why they win games and keep others close. He primary runs a 4-3 which is what we need to get back to in my opinion because without a dominant NT, running the 3-4 is pointless in my opinion. I'll also explain why we should g back to the 4-3 later in this long ass post.

Dom Capers would be second on my list and only if we stay with the 3-4 defense which I wouldnt so it's all Ryan.

GENERAL MANAGER - If I can get Holmgren, McCloughan stays. Otherwise, he's gone but I honestly have no idea who I would replace him with. Maybe, Terry Donahue. LOL.

<continued>

edgrenade
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
If Alex wasn't hurt, he would be playing right now.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah probably

Brent
10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
It's not a probability, it's a guarantee.

dan77733
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
FREE AGENTS -

Out of the ones on that list, the one player that I would go after without hesitation would be DE Terrell Suggs. Going back to the 4-3, he would play DE and give us an instant pass rusher and play opposite run stuffing Justin Smith. Suggs just turned 26 and is in his prime. He'll be our franchise DE that we havent had since ??????. Other than him, I probably wouldnt go after anyone else.

RELEASE -

QB J.T. O'Sullivan
QB Jamie Martin
RB DeShaun Foster
FB Zak Keasey
WR Isaac Bruce
WR Bryant Johnson (UFA)
OT Jonas Jennings (BYE BYE)
DT Aubrayo Franklin
OLB Tully Banta Cain
FS Mark Roman

RESIGN -

C Eric Heitmann

NOTES -

QB Alex Smith

If I can get Mike Holmgren, I would keep Smith around because if there's anyone who can develop him and make him a franchise QB, it would be him. If not, then im 50/50 at best on bringing him back. You can ask him to take a paycut but what would his incentive be to do so? Nolan and Martz would both have to be gone. After all, Nolan screwed him up last injury when he was injured and Martz favored Sullivan the entire way. Think about it - if you were Smith, would you take a paycut and stay with the team that screwed up your arm? I wouldnt especially if Nolan and/or Martz are back in 2009. I dont want to be an asshole but you can see why, I wouldnt have exercised that option on Smith. We'll take a cap hit either way but letting him walk as an UFA would have been $9m or so which is a lot better than $20m something.

FB David Kirtman. On one hand, he was drafted by Holmgren but on the other, he was let go by Holmgren. He's 50-50. I really want a pure FB who can be a great lead blocker. I dont really know if Kirtman is that kind of FB or not. Either way, we need a pure FB.

WR - Morgan, Battle and Hill would return. I would keep Zeiger. All we need is another WR but I have no clue as to who that would be.

OL - If I cant get Michael Oher in the first round, I move Snyder to RT and start Baas and Rachal at OG. Heitmann returns as the C. Our OL hasnt played well but also remember that OL will play bad on purpose at times if they dont like or get along with the QB and/or coaching staff. With a new HC, it would remain to be seen if they would still play bad.

DEFENSE -

Go back to the 4-3 with FA signee Suggs playing DE opposite Smith. Sopoaga and Balmer start at DT with Fields as the backup. McDonald and Haralson add depth at DE.

LB wise, Lawson and Willis would be set while we just need that other OLB. I would most likely keep Spikes for another year unless Brooks can somehow prove himself to be a full time starter. I keep Ulbrich for special teams and depth as well as Green who I would definitely use as a pass rusher when possible. Add in Lawson as someone who I would blitz on passing situations.

CB - Clements is a stud and set at one CB. Harris has declined and Spencer is still 50/50 at best. See now guys why I would have went after Samuel seven months ago??? Oh well. If I cant get Oher in the first round, I would most likely draft the top cover corner available.

SS is set wth Michael Lewis as he's been damn good for us thus far. He's basically what Parrish was for us when we signed him in 2002 to replace Schulters.

FS - It would be Goldson or Reggie Smith. I'm not sure which. Of course, this wouldnt be an issue since I would have had FS Kenny Phillips (instead of Balmer) from the draft but again, oh well.

Anyway, that's pretty much it as of right now. I'm sure things will change between now and the off-season for us but that's my opinion.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 07:26 PM

haha i brought the same thing up to my dad. i said that alex smith couldn't be any worse so why don't we bring him back if we can restructure his deal

personally, i prefer the 3-4 for our defense as the defense is has been getting geared towards it for 3 years now. although it isn't all that effective, i believe that we are only a NT away from a good 3-4 because we are set at other positions. if we switched back tot he 4-3 then many players, that can play, wouldn't get a chance as they aren't as suited/trained for the 4-3. here is my breakdown of our defensive front 7

Ray McDonald-has really been turning it up lately and i believe will end up being a great 3-4 end. if we switch to a 4-3 then he gets lost in the shuffle of DE's

Aubrayo Franklin-sucks and is the weakspot of the D

Isaac Sopoaga-has flashes with crazy good strength. isn't as big of a liability as he was before, and could be effective in the 4-3 at DT

Kentwan Balmer-drafted to be a 3-4 end. i am not sure what he played in college, but so far all of his pro coaching has been geared towards the 3-4. would get playing time in the 4-3 most likely because of his high draft spot

Parys Haralson-a good edge rusher, probably the best on the team. above average against the run as well, would get lost in the shuffle of the 4-3 at DE along with Ray McDonald

Justin Smith-beast. does great in the 3-4 as he plays all positions and has shown he would play well in the 4-3

Patrick Willis-a stud in either defense

Takeo Spikes-would most likely be a backup to willis in the 4-3 but he is a solid player and i like him on the field

Manny Lawson-is still underutilized as a rusher like he was drafted to be, but he is a better LB overall because of it. if we switched to the 4-3, that aspect to him would be gone completely

Overall-for the 3-4 we are basically lacking at NT but that is the only huge hole. i like the defense as it is now, with the hybrid and justin smith playing everywhere. in the 4-3, we don't have an outside LB, and a lot of the talent drafted for the 3-4 would be going to waste in players such as haralson, mcdonald, sopoaga, balmer, etc

edgrenade
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Number one need = big fat NT

Brent
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Ray McDonald-has really been turning it up lately and i believe will end up being a great 3-4 end. if we switch to a 4-3 then he gets lost in the shuffle of DE's
He was playing fine as a 4-3 DE, in fact, we have been running a 4-3 for the whole season. That "big sub" package was just a nickel package with 4 down lineman.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
He was playing fine as a 4-3 DE, in fact, we have been running a 4-3 for the whole season. That "big sub" package was just a nickel package with 4 down lineman.

then there you go, my bad. i personally have really liked him ever since he was coming out of college and was just excited to see him thrive in the 3-4

i think right now the biggest guy on the draft board, both literally and figuratively, should be terrence cody, DT from Alabama. dudes a monster and would dominate at NT in the 3-4. is being compared to casey hampton and jamaal williams, two of the best 3-4 NTs in the league. and for proof, see the bama/clemson game and the rushing stats of two of the best RBs in the country

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Well I am really excited to see what gameplan Manusky will come up with now that he is on his own. I hope it is better :)

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Well I am really excited to see what gameplan Manusky will come up with now that he is on his own. I hope it is better :)

ya me too, he hopefully will actually be able to get pressure on the qb

Brent
10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I am curious to see how much we change without Nolan.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Well maybe the team will actually play like they want to be there. Hope Singletary gives the team a spark.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 10:07 PM
without a doubt, i think overall the team will be less conservative both on offense and defense, and like someone else said, i will be stoked to see what manusky does on his own

in the draft though, i am really liking orakpo from texas, although he would have to be our pick int he first round if we were to get him. he alone could probably provide a passrush though, he is a monster

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I think if enough of the young edge rushers go pro, there is a good chance we could get Cushing.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
I think if enough of the young edge rushers go pro, there is a good chance we could get Cushing.

i like cushing as well, but he is more polished as a linebacker than a pass rusher, which would normally be good, but thats what we spent the last 3 years doing with manny lawson. i think we just need a straight up pass rusher than can get to the qb

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Cushing can come after the QB man he is a beast.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Cushing can come after the QB man he is a beast.

believe me, i know. i live in southern california where the only games that are even shown on tv are usc games. he is a beast, clay matthews rivals him though and he could be gotten in a later round, and brian orakpo is a bigger beast. i mean, cushing hasn't gone toe-to-toe with some of the best LTs in the nation and completely dominated on them compared to the way that orakpo has.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Thats true about Clay Matthews. I would not mind seeing him taken in the late rounds. I did see Cushing take it to Jake Long though a couple years ago.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Thats true about Clay Matthews. I would not mind seeing him taken in the late rounds. I did see Cushing take it to Jake Long though a couple years ago.

ya, but even with jake long, he was praised more as a run blocker than a pass blocker. which might be the same with loadholt, but orakpo wrecked on him

Borat
10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Orakpo in the first, Loadholt in the second? At this point, this would pretty much be my dream draft. Of course, things will change, draft position etc.

Menardo75
10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I would be down with that.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Orakpo in the first, Loadholt in the second? At this point, this would pretty much be my dream draft. Of course, things will change, draft position etc.

that would be awesome, i think loadholt would play RT though. then maybe a QB ow WR in the third?

Brent
10-20-2008, 11:42 PM
maybe a QB...in the third?
No. The success rate of a 2nd round or 3rd round QB pick is awful.

Borat
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
that would be awesome, i think loadholt would play RT though. then maybe a QB ow WR in the third?

For sure. I don't see Loadholt as a LT. Honestly, I just want us to address the OL/DL (again). I liked that we did it this year, although it doesn't do us any good that these kids are essentially red-shirting this year. If we build our lines up to be the strongest part of our team, the rest will fall in place.

rainbeaukid2
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
No. The success rate of a 2nd round or 3rd round QB pick is awful.

oh, i was not aware. but are you going to tell me, that besides the late round gems in romo the **** and brady, every good qb in the nfl was taken in the first round? and here in san francisco, the first round rate isn't all that good either

edgrenade
10-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I think Cushing might fit better next to Willis, in the 3-4.

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 01:59 AM

No I think he is a way better fit as a 3-4 Sam. Yeah Loadholt would have to play RT in the NFL. I would definitly be down with Orakpo. My fear is that if he goes pro he will probably tear it up at the combine, to the point where he could jump into the top five.

ninerfan
10-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Any chance we could lock in a good OC for 4 years and work with Alex ?

I havent given up on him (unlike most here who thought JTO the saviour). Alex is still 24/25 with 4 years experience, hes clearly wants to stay (he attends QB meetings mid week) and he still has tremendous upside if he could get some stability in QB coach / OC.

If his shoulder can get back to 100% he's still our best QB

edgrenade
10-21-2008, 04:04 AM

I havent given up on him (unlike most here who thought JTO the saviour). Alex is still 24/25 with 4 years experience, hes clearly wants to stay (he attends QB meetings mid week) and he still has tremendous upside if he could get some stability in QB coach / OC.

What about Lane Kiffin for OC? Only if we know if Martz is going to leave, though.

Brent
10-21-2008, 06:15 AM
The thought of another OC bothers me. I am kind of indifferent about Martz but I'd rather have him than another OC.

By the way, for those who want Brady Quinn: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_10757220. Supposedly, the Vikes offered Cleveland their '09 and 2010 first rounders for Quinn and the Browns declined:
Word is the Vikings offered the Browns their 2009 and 2010 first-round draft picks for quarterback Brady Quinn, but Cleveland, after consideration, said no thanks.

rainbeaukid2
10-21-2008, 09:17 AM

cushing is much better at OLB as was showin in USC's last game where Rey sat out and they had to move cushing to MLB and he was constantly out of position. he would be much better at SAM which would mean that we would have to move Lawson to rush backer, god forbid we actually send him on a blitz

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM

I share the same thoughts with you on Alex. I think with Nolan gone there is a good chance of him coming back. What do we have to lose? We have already payed him over $25 million. There aren't a lot of QB options on the open market and Alex would come back at a reduced price. It is a lot better then running a rookie QB out there and getting him killed.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Here is my, very cluttered, plan:

GM: Scotty Mac is safe in my eyes. He has done a great job in the drafts and while he has had his big misses, Alex Smith, I still think the coaching failed the drafts more then Scott. I do think the 49ers need to hire another football mind to help consult with Scotty. There is not enough of those types in our front office.

HC
I like Singletary and I will withhold my judgement till the end of the season. But in case he doesn't work out here is my list of guys that I have in mind:
Offensive minded:
-Lane Kiffin- Kept the Raiders in games while being surrounded by snitches and a senile, erractic, and paranoid owner.
-Josh McDaniels- Hard to go wrong picking off Belichick coaching tree and I like the scheme he runs.
-Rob Chudzinski- Was the coach most likely to land a head coaching gig next season but has cooled down with Browns slow start.
-Russ Grimm- SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL!!!!!! Plus we steal from the divison.
Defensive minded:
-Steve Spagnuolo- Top of my list. His defense is still one of the best in the league even with the loss of Osi and Stray. Also does a great job with getting the role players into the best situations.
-Leslie Frazier- Hey we basically run a cover 2 already.
-Dean Pees- See Josh McDaniels

Off that list I like Spags or Grimm. I think Grimm would bring the same ideologies of Bill Cowher. I don't think SF has a chance at Cowher.

One guy that I would really like to have is Marty Schottenheimer. We already have one guy from his past coaching staff, Greg Man, on our current staff. I also think there are many parallels between this team and his Charger teams.

QB
As I posted in this thread I want to bring Alex back. Depending on the coach I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Garcia brought in as comp. to Alex. In the draft the 49ers need to draft a QB on Day 1. No excuse not to. So my depth chart would be:
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia/Losman
Draft Pick

FA
My number one target is Albert Haynesworth. He has been dominate the last two seasons and he would payoff big for Willis and Justin Smith playing with this guy. Other guys I like:
Jordan Gross- Very underrated
Channing Crowder- Could come cheaper then guys like Scott, Vilma that will be on the market

Draft
If we end up with a top ten pick I would like to spend it on a QB or WR. I think one of the problems QBs have run into playing here is not having any WRs that can seperate. Also with the money we are going to be handing out I would rather use it on a skill position player. Here is my early pre-draft needs sheet:
1. WR
2. QB
3. RT
4. NT/DT
5. FS

Madirishman
10-21-2008, 11:16 AM
The Niners need to restructure Alex's contract significantly. There would be incentive for him to do so to stay with the Niners because he could 1) Have an opportunity to save face - he would be a backup anywhere else and 2) He would take an even bigger paycut if he were released, with teams only offering backup money for him as a "project player."

Draft an OT with our first pick (if a good one is available), then look to improve up the middle, were they are losing games. A quality DT space-eater/pass rusher.

Sign Suggs from Baltimore (the Raven that was worth Nolan bringing in) to be our edge pass rusher across from Manny. This would allow Manny to have less attention and get more sacks. If Suggs isn't an option, then sign Haynesworth and change the drafting strategy above to BPA for either an OT/Pass Rusher.

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah I am all for keeping Alex. If Martz does leave then jI would definitly consider Kiffen.

dan77733
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Here is my, very cluttered, plan:

GM: Scotty Mac is safe in my eyes. He has done a great job in the drafts and while he has had his big misses, Alex Smith, I still think the coaching failed the drafts more then Scott. I do think the 49ers need to hire another football mind to help consult with Scotty. There is not enough of those types in our front office.

HC
I like Singletary and I will withhold my judgement till the end of the season. But in case he doesn't work out here is my list of guys that I have in mind:
Offensive minded:
-Lane Kiffin- Kept the Raiders in games while being surrounded by snitches and a senile, erractic, and paranoid owner.
-Josh McDaniels- Hard to go wrong picking off Belichick coaching tree and I like the scheme he runs.
-Rob Chudzinski- Was the coach most likely to land a head coaching gig next season but has cooled down with Browns slow start.
-Russ Grimm- SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL!!!!!! Plus we steal from the divison.
Defensive minded:
-Steve Spagnuolo- Top of my list. His defense is still one of the best in the league even with the loss of Osi and Stray. Also does a great job with getting the role players into the best situations.
-Leslie Frazier- Hey we basically run a cover 2 already.
-Dean Pees- See Josh McDaniels

Off that list I like Spags or Grimm. I think Grimm would bring the same ideologies of Bill Cowher. I don't think SF has a chance at Cowher.

One guy that I would really like to have is Marty Schottenheimer. We already have one guy from his past coaching staff, Greg Man, on our current staff. I also think there are many parallels between this team and his Charger teams.

QB
As I posted in this thread I want to bring Alex back. Depending on the coach I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Garcia brought in as comp. to Alex. In the draft the 49ers need to draft a QB on Day 1. No excuse not to. So my depth chart would be:
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia/Losman
Draft Pick

FA
My number one target is Albert Haynesworth. He has been dominate the last two seasons and he would payoff big for Willis and Justin Smith playing with this guy. Other guys I like:
Jordan Gross- Very underrated
Channing Crowder- Could come cheaper then guys like Scott, Vilma that will be on the market

Draft
If we end up with a top ten pick I would like to spend it on a QB or WR. I think one of the problems QBs have run into playing here is not having any WRs that can seperate. Also with the money we are going to be handing out I would rather use it on a skill position player. Here is my early pre-draft needs sheet:
1. WR
2. QB
3. RT
4. NT/DT
5. FS

I'm not going to comment on our next HC because it remains to be seen how Singletary does and what will happen with him. One thing is for sure, unless he does bad, I dont see him taking a demotion back to being the LB coach.

QB wise, I dont know what's going to happen with Smith but I would be shocked if he takes a paycut to stay in SF because after all, this is the team that has had no consistency or stability in regards to the OC and is also the team that screwed him up relating to his shoulder injury last year. Basically, two years in a row. If I was him, I would be hesitant to stay in SF especially if they were to ask me to take a paycut.

I would probably go after Losman if the price is right but im not going to overpay for him since he's been outplayed by Edwards. I would keep Hill as the backup since he's still under contract for two more years. I woud draft a QB on the second day to be the third stringer unless I sign/trade for another QB. One idea is Daunte Culpepper. He was good until Saban screwed him up in 2006 (just like what's happened to Smith). He still has an arm and as long as he has protection up front, he could easily be our starter for a year or two untl we get a franchise QB. He sure as hell cant do any worse than Sullivan.

Defensively, I want DC Rob Ryan from OAK who's done a great job with Morrison and Howard at LB and has done great getting pressure and sacks from his DL. He could do the same with Lawson and Willis. I would also go after UFA DE Terrell Suggs more than anyone. He just turned 26 and is what we need the most - a dominant pass rushing DE. I have no interest in Haynesworh because I would go back to the 4-3 and personally, he's only playing great because he hasnt been paid yet. One he is, I guarantee that his play and attitude will go back to what it was.

Besides, getting Suggs to play DE opposite Smith will allow us to start Balmer and Sopoaga at DT which is another reason why I wouldnt go after Haynesworth. We drafted Balmer who can play DT in the 4-3 so why waste money on a DT when we need a pass rushing DE a hell of a lot more.

LB wise, Lawson and Willis would be set at OLB and MLB respectively. All we need is that other OLB. If we cant get Karlos Dansby, I would most likely keep Spikes for another year and hope that Brooks can take over in 2010.

Secondary wise, we need another CB. And people bashed me for wanting Asante Samuel several months ago. Imagine Samuel and Clements as our starting CB's. Oh well, back to crappy reality. Clements is set but we need that other starting CB. Harris has declined (like I said he would) and Spencer is 50/50 at best. Any ideas or suggestions? I personally would draft the best cover corner in the first round if Michael Oher is gone.

Michael Lewis is set at SS while im hoping that Dashon Goldson or Reggie Smith can start at FS.

Draft wise, my main target would be Michael Oher because before any QB or WR, we need an OL who can protect the QB which allows the WR's time to get open so the QB can get them the ball. If Oher is gone, I most likely go after the best cover corner available and start him from day one.

Just my opinion.

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Draft wise I really like Andre Smith from Alabama. I think he is a good physical guy that we could use at RT. I think Reggie Smith was drafted to be Walt's replacement.

rainbeaukid2
10-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Draft wise I really like Andre Smith from Alabama. I think he is a good physical guy that we could use at RT. I think Reggie Smith was drafted to be Walt's replacement.

ya, thats what was said about smith when we drafted him although i would rather him or goldson play at safety with tarell brown at corner as he has doen pretty well

Menardo75
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah well whatever works I guess.

rainbeaukid2
10-21-2008, 09:41 PM
a good post on the 3-4 prospects in the draft this year

Here are my 3-4 position rankings for players who seniors or I believe will come out and have a good chance of being drafted into the 3-4:

Nose Tackle:
1. Terrance Taylor, Michigan- A very large man with outstanding strength. Taylor is already physically ready to play in the league and should cope with constant double teams easily.
2. B.J. Raji, Boston College- As mentioned earlier in the thread, he's a true monster. Not many know of him and a lot of that has to do with him sitting out the 2007 season with academic issues, but he is easily a top nose tackle prospect. Raji comes in at 6'1, 323 pounds, meaning he has the exact size and strength NFL scouts look for when drafting NTs.
3. Ron Brace, Boston College- A main reason why Boston College's run defense was second best in the nation last year, and with Raji coming back, it could easily be the best this go around. Like teammate Raji, he has the ideal size for an NFL nose tackle and should do well at the position in years to come.

Defensive End:
1. Tyson Jackson, Louisiana State- Easily the top 3-4 end prospect in the class. Has the size scouts dream about for the position; 6'5, 295 pounds. He should make an immediate and large impact for whomever drafts him.
2. Vince Oghobaase, Duke- A lot of people want to call him a 3-4 NT, but he's easily too tall for that position. His height however makes him perfect for the end spot. His future coaches may ask him to lose a little weight a 310 pounds, although there are a few quality ends who play effectively at that size.
3. Pannel Egboh, Stanford- Not talked up much, but is a solid player. A little light for the position at 275 pounds, but his 6'6 frame means he can add weight without sacrificing any sort of mobility.

Outside Linebacker:
1. George Selvie, South Florida- Barring a bad season or combine performance, Selvie is set up to be a greater prospect than Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware. He is easily the best pass rusher in college currently and has the ideal frame to play outside at 6'4, 245 pounds.
2. Brian Cushing, Southern California- Cushing is another top 3-4 outside linebacker prospect. He's excelled at both rushing the passer and playing stand up linebacker, and his experience and physical tools means he should easily be a first rounder next year.
3. Brian Orakpo, Texas- He's an underachiever, but is also set to finally break out this season. He has everything you look for physically, including size and speed, so if he can put it together this year, he should be a relatively high pick.

Inside Linebacker:
1. Rey Maualuga, Southern California- Maualuga is easily the best linebacker in the nation, regardless of scheme. He has the size(6'3, 255), speed, instincts, and toughness needed to play inside. Should easily be a top five pick, with a realistic chance of anchoring the Dolphins new 3-4.
2. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina- One of the largest(6'2, 275) and toughest linebackers in the nation. Before he was sidelined with an knee injury that ended his 2007 season short, he was possibly the most feared linebacker in the SEC, earning All-SEC 1st team honors in 2006.
3. Brandon Spikes, Florida- When Brinkley went down, Spikes jumped right in to claim his All-SEC 1st team spot at linebacker in 2007. Spikes is a tackling machine and has the size needed to play inside on the next level.

Madirishman
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Will we stick with the 3-4 "hybrid" D (aka the 4-3) after this year? Who knows at this point.

rainbeaukid2
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Will we stick with the 3-4 "hybrid" D (aka the 4-3) after this year? Who knows at this point.

i think we will cuz manusky will still be there as the D-coordinator, regardless of the fact that nolan is now gone

chapo123
10-22-2008, 12:28 AM
now with nolan gone, can we talk draft?

Menardo75
10-22-2008, 02:02 AM
i think we will cuz manusky will still be there as the D-coordinator, regardless of the fact that nolan is now gone

Yeah I am not expecting a lot of changes.

BandwagonPunditry
10-22-2008, 07:00 AM
If tall these SC guys are such studs then why isn't Chilo playing yet then?

Rachal came out a year early for a noble cause (I love his 'intagibles') but it did mean that he's a little raw. There's absolutely nothing wrong with resting a rookie for a year to let them adjust and learn. Even if he's got bags more potential than our starters they have an advantage in experience. We're not going to get instant success out of him, that's fine, but if we rest him for a year then he could still be a starter for years to come. The same is true of Balmer and Smith.

Menardo75
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah I believe Chilo is going to be a very good FB player. He will get his chance.

Brent
10-22-2008, 02:19 PM
now with nolan gone, can we talk draft?
Haha, I think that everyone's started doing so.

regoob2
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey 49ers fan I have a quick question, how has Joe Staley been playing so far this year? Thanks.

rainbeaukid2
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
he has been doing pretty well, he is a pretty solid left tackle but gives up sacks because of the 7 step drops that martz uses in his offense

on another note, did my thread get deleted?

Brent
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
on another note, did my thread get deleted?
I combined the "2009 Draft Discussion" with the "2009 Off-Season Discussion" thread. We ended up talking about the same thing in both and I hate when that happens.

edgrenade
10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Just imagine if we drafted Maualuga! Him and Willis would be unstoppable!!!

Brent
10-22-2008, 06:27 PM
If we are running a 4-3 and we draft Maualuga what would he be? OLB?

Borat
10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
We need OL/DL. It's awesome to think about a stud MLB to team with PWillie, but it would harm us overall by not addressing our biggest needs.

dan77733
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Scott has us taking OT Michael Oher with our first rounder. I have no problem with that. How about you guys?

Borat
10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Scott has us taking OT Michael Oher with our first rounder. I have no problem with that. How about you guys?

Love it. Would be a great addition. Him or Orakpo.

rainbeaukid2
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
i would rather get orakpo or a receiver or something than an offensive lineman because then that is two first rounders we have spent on offensive lineman, and while it is a big need, there are still other needs on the team and good lineman can still be found in the second/later rounds

Madirishman
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
i would rather get orakpo or a receiver or something than an offensive lineman because then that is two first rounders we have spent on offensive lineman, and while it is a big need, there are still other needs on the team and good lineman can still be found in the second/later rounds

Not necessarily good tackles can be found in the later rounds. There are some guys here and there that do well, but they aren't as much of a sure thing as a lot of the 1st Rounders have been the last few years. However, I would prioritize an elite Pass Rusher in the first round over an OT.

FG4prez
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
i am all for retaining alex smith another year. i'm not bailing on o'sullivan just yet, but i would like to have smith around--as other people have said--due to the lack of options on the market and (in my opinion) a lack of good oness in the draft. draft colt mccoy next year if the osullivan smith tandem doesnt work out.
theres two directions id like to see the offseason/draft go. if we sign gross (god i would love that) then we can go maualuga or orakpo in the first. terrance cody in the second (or one of those nt's talked about above. the taylor kid from michigan looks decent, not sold yet though. cody is the man).
otherwise, gotta go oher and then cody.
or we could offer the browns our next 3 1st rders for quinn haha

Menardo75
10-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I want either Orakpo, or Oher, or Smith with the top pick.

Borat
10-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I want either Orakpo, or Oher, or Smith with the top pick.

My thoughts exactly, although I think I'd put Monroe in that group as well.

cgrsly57
10-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Doesnt Oher have a learning disability? That seems like a major red flag to me. I dont think its worth the risk with Monroe on the board.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
10-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Doesnt Oher have a learning disability? That seems like a major red flag to me. I dont think its worth the risk with Monroe on the board.

Oher and Frank Gore can learn together! :D

Long read on Oher from two years ago that goes into detail about how he just barely made it into Ole Miss:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/magazine/24football.html?ex=1316750400&en=e3741d62a638bb81&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Just like Gore he has worked his tail off in the classroom and I haven't heard of him having any academic issues at Ole Miss. I have my draft board as:
Stafford
Crabtree
Oher
But if we drafted Oher over those guys I would have no complaints. He is an awesome talent and we wouldn't have to worry about our tackle situation for the next 10 years.

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Vernon can learn with them too.

Brent
10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Vernon needs to learn how to catch first.

dan77733
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
We definitely need a legitimate pass rushing DE which is why I would go all-out for DE Terrell Suggs in March if he doesnt stay in BAL. If they dont make he playoffs, he may want to bolt. From what I read, he cant be franchised again which is good for us.

Sign Suggs, go back to the 4-3 and start him opposite Smith with Balmer and Sopo in the middle. Lawson and Willis are set and I would go after OLB Karlos Dansby to complete the LB corps. Backup plan would be to sign Spikes for another year since he's been playing better than expected.

Secondary wise, if Oher is gone, I draft the best cover corner available to start opposite Clements with M.Lewis at SS and Goldson/Smith at FS.

Like I have said for the last two years, I know that the offense needs more work than the defense but if you cant get the offense where you want it to be, dont be stupid - complete the defense if you have the chance to do so, which we do.

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I think if the defense gets out of the conservative gap control approach, there is a chance the pass rush will be much better.

rainbeaukid2
10-23-2008, 03:50 PM
We definitely need a legitimate pass rushing DE which is why I would go all-out for DE Terrell Suggs in March if he doesnt stay in BAL. If they dont make he playoffs, he may want to bolt. From what I read, he cant be franchised again which is good for us.

Sign Suggs, go back to the 4-3 and start him opposite Smith with Balmer and Sopo in the middle. Lawson and Willis are set and I would go after OLB Karlos Dansby to complete the LB corps. Backup plan would be to sign Spikes for another year since he's been playing better than expected.

Secondary wise, if Oher is gone, I draft the best cover corner available to start opposite Clements with M.Lewis at SS and Goldson/Smith at FS.

Like I have said for the last two years, I know that the offense needs more work than the defense but if you cant get the offense where you want it to be, dont be stupid - complete the defense if you have the chance to do so, which we do.

why are you so convinced that we should only sign suggs if we go back to the 4-3? he did great in the 3-4 when thats what they played in baltimore, and i am still not so convinced that we will swtich back with the 3-4 being the defense that manusky runs, and now that he has control over the defense i think we will stick with it, or this hybrid that we have now in which suggs can play both

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah if Suggs is an option I say get him no matter what defense.

rainbeaukid2
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
exactly, because passrushing is passrushing, regardless of the position your in while doing it

Madirishman
10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
If Suggs was to sign a 5 or 6 year deal, he'd be in the prime of his career throughout the entire contract. Drafting a pass rusher high in the Draft doesn't necessarily mean that he'll translate well into the NFL, whereas Suggs has consistently proved he's a threat. He'd be the first player the Niners would have that could fill the shoes left by Julian Peterson (who will once again have 3 sacks against the Niners this weekend).

rainbeaukid2
10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
If Suggs was to sign a 5 or 6 year deal, he'd be in the prime of his career throughout the entire contract. Drafting a pass rusher high in the Draft doesn't necessarily mean that he'll translate well into the NFL, whereas Suggs has consistently proved he's a threat. He'd be the first player the Niners would have that could fill the shoes left by Julian Peterson (who will once again have 3 sacks against the Niners this weekend).

most likely, even though thats basically why manny was drafted. i still don't understand why we got rid of him, best defensive player we had

Brent
10-23-2008, 08:13 PM
We couldnt afford to keep him, if I am not mistaken.

Madirishman
10-23-2008, 11:16 PM
The Niners were in salary cap hell and were in rebuilding mode. It was a tough call for Nolan & Co. They told him to shop around, not expecting him to get top dollar, and then Frisco could swoop him up for a hometown discount. That strategy backfired and he went to a division rival and helped them win the division every year.

Could you imagine if we would have had him AND Manny with PWilly? My, oh my! We would have never spent money on losers like TBC.

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah they really need to turn Manny loose.

dan77733
10-24-2008, 01:46 PM
^^^^^

Yes, they do. The main reason why Manny Lawson was drafted was to relace the pass rushing ability of Julian Peterson. Lawson was used more in coverage than rushing the passer. Hopefully, Singletary lets him, Roderick Green and even Justin Smith run loose after the QB.

dan77733
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Here's a question -

Is there any way to watch the game online live?

Thanks.

Borat
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Dan, try the sopcast player. Not sure how you do it, but I hear a lot of people talk about using it to watch the games.

Just google it and you should find it.

Madirishman
10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Being in AZ, I take the hit on the Sunday Ticket from DirecTV. It's effin awesome!

Church every Sunday! ;)

Brent
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Here's a question -

Is there any way to watch the game online live?

Thanks.
check you PMs shortly

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Anyone see that the Niners are looking at Condeleza Rice has team President.

Madirishman
10-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah. What's up with that?

dan77733
10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
That wont happen. Its just people close to her spreading around all those rumors.

YAYareaRB
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
The way things are going we'll end up with a top 3 pick in the draft..

1. Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
2. Ciron Black, OT LSU
3. Brooks Foster, WR North Carolina
4. Eric Moncur DE/OLB, Miami
5. Nic Harris S, Oklahoma
6. Zeek Zacharie FB, Louisiana Monroe
7. Dorrell Scott DT, Clemson

It might be a dream draft but I hope it goes something like this since it addresses some of our biggest needs. I was thinking Mark Roman is getting old but so Walt Harris, so we may need replacements there. Ciron Black is a guy I could see coming in and starting on the front next to Chilo Rachal on the right side. Brooks Foster has all the tools you would look for in a WR but something is missing. Eric Moncur is a beast and could provide the heavily needed pass rush he puts down for the U. Nic Harris would most likely be a special team ace but could prove to be a very valuable pick with the right coaching.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Harris will be a first day pick so that won't happen. The rest I do like.

49ersfan_87
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
We're going to have a lot of cap space this offseason, especially with A Smith, Jennings, and possibly Vernon Davis's salaries all off the cap. I think we should go after 1 big-ticket FA and a few smaller ones. The big FA's are Jordan Gross, Vernon Carey (both OT's), Terrell Suggs, Julius Peppers (both 4-3 DE's). Id like to snag one of those 4 guys. Who do you guys want out of those 4? I say Suggs- he's the youngest and very effective.

Id also like to sign Hank Baskett (WR) and..... wait for it....Jeff Garcia. I want a WCO back in SF because that fits our personnel the best. Garcia/Hill could hold the fort for 1-2 years while we develop our young QB, whoever that may be..

Brent
10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
1. Matthew Stafford, QB Georgia
I like him as much as you do but I dont think we are going to have even a slight chance at landing him.

Madirishman
10-27-2008, 06:10 PM
More importantly, do we want to invest $70 Million in another unproven (in the NFL) QB?!?!?!

Borat
10-27-2008, 06:12 PM
We're going to have a lot of cap space this offseason, especially with A Smith, Jennings, and possibly Vernon Davis's salaries all off the cap. I think we should go after 1 big-ticket FA and a few smaller ones. The big FA's are Jordan Gross, Vernon Carey (both OT's), Terrell Suggs, Julius Peppers (both 4-3 DE's). Id like to snag one of those 4 guys. Who do you guys want out of those 4? I say Suggs- he's the youngest and very effective.

Id also like to sign Hank Baskett (WR) and..... wait for it....Jeff Garcia. I want a WCO back in SF because that fits our personnel the best. Garcia/Hill could hold the fort for 1-2 years while we develop our young QB, whoever that may be..

Peppers or Suggs. I'd prefer Peppers, but either would do. And BTW, I don't think either is coming here.

edgrenade
10-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I prefer bringing back Alex, and drafting a late round QB.

Also, not resigning the worst QB ever to touch a football (JTO).

dan77733
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM

I dont see Davis going anywhere. It's too soon to give up on him. He's basically T.O. without the impact on the field but at the same time, look at who his QB's have been compared to T.O. Hell, even Rattay did good with Owens when Garcia was injured in 2003.

Smith is 50/50 but I doubt that he goes anywhere because once that optin was picked up, we basically screwed ourselves. Instead of $9m in dead money, the total would be over $20m if we release him in the off-season. I personally would have never exercised the option but oh well. Reality wise, I dont see him going anywhere either.

Jennings is the most likely to go of the three. Even though we'll take a cap hit of $3.5m, we'll save $5m over two years. Jennings has been crap since day one just like Nolan was and like Nolan, will hopefully be gone come February. If not and we draft an OT in the first round, then I would say for sure that he's gone. Either way, I just hope that it's sooner rather than later even though I personally would keep him through the draft so OT wouldnt be seen as a need especially if Snyder eventually gets moved there (which he should) and we can go after Michael Oher.

Instead of Gross or Carey, I would much rather draft Oher instead. He'll be years younger, have less wear and tear on him and will be around with the rest of the OL for a long ass time to come. DE wise, I want Suggs the most because he'll fit in the 3-4 as an OLB or as a DE in the 4-3. I prefer the 4-3 but just in case, we stay with the 3-4, Suggs would be a better option than Peppers.

I dont care about Baskett whatsoever. Amazingly though, I agree about bringing back Garcia but only if we run the WCO. Hill will still be around as well. Another reason why I want Marty Mornhinweg back as the OC. I agree with Garcia and Hill holding down the fort but I would still go after Brady Quinn. Come on Derek Anderson, you bum!!! LOL.

Brent
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
As up and down Derek Anderson has been, I dont see Quinn going anywhere.

Borat
10-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Smith is 50/50 but I doubt that he goes anywhere because once that optin was picked up, we basically screwed ourselves. Instead of $9m in dead money, the total would be over $20m if we release him in the off-season. I personally would have never exercised the option but oh well. Reality wise, I dont see him going anywhere either.

Jennings is the most likely to go of the three. Even though we'll take a cap hit of $3.5m, we'll save $5m over two years. Jennings has been crap since day one just like Nolan was and like Nolan, will hopefully be gone come February. If not and we draft an OT in the first round, then I would say for sure that he's gone. Either way, I just hope that it's sooner rather than later even though I personally would keep him through the draft so OT wouldnt be seen as a need especially if Snyder eventually gets moved there (which he should) and we can go after Michael Oher.

2 things Dan.

1. I was reading about Alice Smith yesterday and I think it said if we cut him this offseason, then we take a $4M cap hit and free up $7M in cap space. That will be needed to sign a stud Dlineman like we're talking about here.

2. Your abject hatred for Jennings always impressed me. From the very start, you've hated him with great fury. I'm at the point where I'm 90% sure he raped your cat.

dan77733
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
As up and down Derek Anderson has been, I dont see Quinn going anywhere.

I dont either but I am holding out hope that Anderson starts lighting it up. Oh well, I could deal with Smith/Hill/Garcia going into 2009 simply because there arent any other options and in no way, shape or form would I draft another QB in the first round unless his last name was Montana or Young and is obviously the son of Joe/Steve.

dan77733
10-27-2008, 06:55 PM
2 things Dan.

1. I was reading about Alice Smith yesterday and I think it said if we cut him this offseason, then we take a $4M cap hit and free up $7M in cap space. That will be needed to sign a stud Dlineman like we're talking about here.

2. Your abject hatred for Jennings always impressed me. From the very start, you've hated him with great fury. I'm at the point where I'm 90% sure he raped your cat.

According to ninercaphell.com, Smith still has over $16m in guaranteed money for 2009 and 2010. I dont know how the cap hit would only be $4m. After all, he WAS the highest paid 49er in history so I doubt that it's only $4m. In fact, it sounds to good to be true.

LOL. I dont have a cat or any other pet but nonetheless, I hate Jennings because he sucked in BUF and he's either sucked or been injury prone for us. Plus, he moved from LT to RT which if you think about is like a demotion which tells me that he's crap and the team is just trying to get him in the lineup due to his salary. I say put his ass on IR, send Sims to the bench, Start Snyder at RT and Baas/Rachal at the OG spots and see what happens the rest of the season.

I know that I'll get flamed for this but im going to admit it anyway - I rather have Kwame Harris at RT who at the very least is a good run blocker as opposed to Jennings who sucks in every aspect excluding injuries since he seems to do that with pretty good consistency year in and year out.

Time to get Jennings the **** out of SF.

dan77733
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Holy crap!!!

Out of a possible 56 games, Jennings has missed 33 games. Get this overpaid overrated injury prone mother ****** outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent
10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
obviously the son of Joe

http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/montana_nate00.html

there is another that plays for a private school somewhere in California.

dan77733
10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Holy ****!!!!!

Is that really the son of Joe Montana and if so, is he any good? And I see that he plays for Notre Dame which is on every week here in NY. If he's the QB, im going to have to start watching to see how he plays.

See, you do learn something new everyday. LOL.

dan77733
10-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Crap. I just realized that he's a freshman. Oh well, by the time he leaves college, we'll probably still need a franchise QB the way we're going.

I'm pissed and psyched at the same time. :( :)

dan77733
10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I just read an article of him being a walk-on at ND after doing a google search on him. My friend is going to flipout because he always makes fun of me - he goes, what you need Dan is for your team to get the son of Montana, Young or hell, even Garcia. LOL. He's going to be pissed off later.

Thanks for the info.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I want to see how Hill does before I make a choice on a QB.

Brent
10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I just read an article of him being a walk-on at ND after doing a google search on him. My friend is going to flipout because he always makes fun of me - he goes, what you need Dan is for your team to get the son of Montana, Young or hell, even Garcia. LOL. He's going to be pissed off later.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah he could have actually gone to some other places and played but he wanted to walk on there as a tribute to his father.

chapo123
10-28-2008, 05:35 PM
ok, as I much as I love Mike S. on the microphone and how he's trying to get the sf players bought in...lets be realistic, there is going to be a new coach next season.
here is a short list of guys I hope they talk to.

Steve Spangulao - ny giants d.c.
Jimmie Johnson - phil eagles d.c.
Josh Mcdaniels - ne pats o.c.
Dean Pees - ne pats d.c.
Jim Shwartz - tenn titans d.c.
Bill Cowher - retired

free agents:
kurt warner - matt cassell
T.J. Houshmandzadeh/Lee Evans/Shaun Mcdonald - not all but at least one
Marc Columbo
Nnamdi Asomugha
Karlos Dansby

release the following:
alex smith
jonas jennings
david bass
barry sims
issac sopogoa
keith lewis

draft picks 1-4
michael oher
juaquin igelsias
brandon underwood
dannell eleerbe

Brent
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Moved your post to where it should be. I'm trying to keep this organized so we dont have the same thing being discussed in multiple threads.

chapo123
10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Moved your post to where it should be. I'm trying to keep this organized so we dont have the same thing being discussed in multiple threads.

thanks. as long as it keeps up.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Why would we release Baas, Ice, and Alex?

Madirishman
10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Ice was just signed to a 5 year deal. I doubt they'd let him go. Franklin is the one who has to go!

I'm on record that they should work with Alex to revise his contract for backup money. I think he still has a chance to be successful with this team, and he's just as much of a gamble as any FA in '09. Rex Grossman? JP Losman? No thank you!

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I think with Nolan gone there is a good chance Alex will come back. Ice has had a good season ro reason to let him go. Franklin has been really inconsistant I would not have a problem with that.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey guys you should go into Scotts thread about Nolan and tell me what you think about what I said. It would be good to know how much you guys agree.

dan77733
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
ok, as I much as I love Mike S. on the microphone and how he's trying to get the sf players bought in...lets be realistic, there is going to be a new coach next season.
here is a short list of guys I hope they talk to.

Steve Spangulao - ny giants d.c.
Jimmie Johnson - phil eagles d.c.
Josh Mcdaniels - ne pats o.c.
Dean Pees - ne pats d.c.
Jim Shwartz - tenn titans d.c.
Bill Cowher - retired

free agents:
kurt warner - matt cassell
T.J. Houshmandzadeh/Lee Evans/Shaun Mcdonald - not all but at least one
Marc Columbo
Nnamdi Asomugha
Karlos Dansby

release the following:
alex smith
jonas jennings
david bass
barry sims
issac sopogoa
keith lewis

draft picks 1-4
michael oher
juaquin igelsias
brandon underwood
dannell eleerbe

HC -

If Singletary can win at least 4 of 8, go 6-10 and show that there's some improvement, I think that he'll be back in 2009.

FA -

Where's Suggs? If he's available, he should easily be our number one priority. QB wise, I would much rather bring back Garcia over Warner. At least Garcia still has some mobility. Evans already resigned with BUF and isnt going anywhere. Houshmandzadeh and McDonald - no thanks. Colombo - no thanks. Asomugha - no thanks. Dansby - hell yeah.

Release -

Smith, probably not unless I can get Quinn which seems less and less likely with each passing week. Jennings - hell yeah. Baas, Sopoaga, Lewis - hell no. Two should be starters while the other is one of our best special teamers. I would keep Sims as a cheap backup at OT.

Draft -

OT Michael Oher is my first choice with the best cover CB second even though I have no clue as to who that is/will be.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Why not Marc Colombo if he is available? He is a very good RT.

dan77733
10-29-2008, 03:31 AM
I've seen Colombo play. He's decent but I would rather have Staley at T and Oher at LT if possible and use the money on Suggs and Dansby.

Brent
10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
I've seen Colombo play. He's decent but I would rather have Staley at RT and Oher at LT
I second this

rainbeaukid2
10-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I've seen Colombo play. He's decent but I would rather have Staley at T and Oher at LT if possible and use the money on Suggs and Dansby.

yes, however i would rather not pay two young guys LT money for one of them to play RT, especially as both of them would have been drafted to play LT

Borat
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
yes, however i would rather not pay two young guys LT money for one of them to play RT, especially as both of them would have been drafted to play LT

Well, Staley isn't getting "LT" money. He was drafted #28 overall, which is Kwame Harris RT money.

And I'm definitely down with Oher at LT and Staley at RT. In fact, I'm down with Oher or Smith or Monroe at LT and Staley at RT.

dan77733
10-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Seems like me and some of you are starting to agree on some things. Let me rephrase what I said about RT Marc Colombo. He's a solid RT and better than Sims and Jennings but I would much rather prefer moving Staley back to RT and draft LT Michael Oher.

Also, if the team spends money during FA, I want them to spend it on DE/OLB Terrell Suggs first and OLB Karlos Kansby second.

My ultimate dream would be getting both Suggs and Dansby and switching back to the 4-3. Suggs and Smith at DE with McDonald and Haralson as the backups. Sopoaga and Balmer at DT with Fields and a draft pick as the backups since I would release Franklin.

LB wise, Lawson and Dansby outside with Willis in the middle. Brooks can backup Willis while Green and Ulbrich can backup the outside spots. Add in Grant somewhere there too. Bringing back Spikes would depend on whether or not I can get Dansby. If not but I can get Suggs, I still go back to the 4-3 and re-sign Spikes for a year to play opposite Lawson at the OLB spots. The rest of the front seven would remain the same.

DB wise, Clements is set while I would draft the best cover CB in the second round plus keep Shawntae Spencer. SS Michael Lewis is set while Goldson/Smith would compete for the FS spot.

First round wise, I draft Oher to start at LT from day one with Staley at RT. Heitmann at C with Baas/Snyder/Rachal competing for the two starting guard spots.

Borat
10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Seems like me and some of you are starting to agree on some things. Let me rephrase what I said about RT Marc Colombo. He's a solid RT and better than Sims and Jennings but I would much rather prefer moving Staley back to RT and draft LT Michael Oher.

Also, if the team spends money during FA, I want them to spend it on DE/OLB Terrell Suggs first and OLB Karlos Kansby second.

My ultimate dream would be getting both Suggs and Dansby and switching back to the 4-3. Suggs and Smith at DE with McDonald and Haralson as the backups. Sopoaga and Balmer at DT with Fields and a draft pick as the backups since I would release Franklin.

LB wise, Lawson and Dansby outside with Willis in the middle. Brooks can backup Willis while Green and Ulbrich can backup the outside spots. Add in Grant somewhere there too. Bringing back Spikes would depend on whether or not I can get Dansby. If not but I can get Suggs, I still go back to the 4-3 and re-sign Spikes for a year to play opposite Lawson at the OLB spots. The rest of the front seven would remain the same.

DB wise, Clements is set while I would draft the best cover CB in the second round plus keep Shawntae Spencer. SS Michael Lewis is set while Goldson/Smith would compete for the FS spot.

First round wise, I draft Oher to start at LT from day one with Staley at RT. Heitmann at C with Baas/Snyder/Rachal competing for the two starting guard spots.

I'm on board with this [borat ducks to avoid flying pigs]

Suggs + Dansby = massive success. I don't think it will happen, but I'd cream my pants if it did. And yes, if it did happen, I'd pray we could land one of the top LTs in Oher/Monroe/Smith. My only bone of contention is that I don't want Snyder competing for any starting position. He just isn't good enough to be a starter for us.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Andre Smith is on the top of my wishlist for O-line. If Singletary stays then it will probably be him since his playing style is what Mike likes.

49ersfan_87
10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
So if we have our choice of Oher, Monroe, and Smith as our LT, which one do you guys want to pick?

BTW, im on board with getting a young, legit franchise LT and moving Staley back to RT. Staley has improved every game but he is still too inconsistent. And if we have a shot at a legit LT, we cant pass it up. With Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal manning the middle. That would be a success, as would getting a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball forever..

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Staley is our franchise LT.... and I would want Andre Smith. Big physical player.

Brent
10-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I want an OC who is into old-school-style run it up the middle ala John Fox; a strong power running game that eats up the clock.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
All for that.

abaddon41_80
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
So if we have our choice of Oher, Monroe, and Smith as our LT, which one do you guys want to pick?

BTW, im on board with getting a young, legit franchise LT and moving Staley back to RT. Staley has improved every game but he is still too inconsistent. And if we have a shot at a legit LT, we cant pass it up. With Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal manning the middle. That would be a success, as would getting a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball forever..

Smith because he will make the best right tackle. Staley has been good this season outside of a few boneheaded plays, like wiffing on Peterson last week, and is improving. Give him more than 8 games, during most of which he played good to great, to call him a failure at left tackle because of a few bad plays.

Madirishman
10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Adding another franchise-type tackle to Baas, Heitman/Wallace, Rachal, & Staley would make an awesome young O-Line that I would be very happy with, moving forward to next season.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Of yeah for sure.

49ersfan_87
10-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Smith because he will make the best right tackle. Staley has been good this season outside of a few boneheaded plays, like wiffing on Peterson last week, and is improving. Give him more than 8 games, during most of which he played good to great, to call him a failure at left tackle because of a few bad plays.

I didn't say he is a failure. I said if we had the opportunity to draft a blue-chip legit LT if one is there, we have to jump on it. Especially considering how little depth we have at OT. But if we draft a good RT and keep Staley at LT, whatever. Same difference.

edgrenade
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I would rather take a "skilled" position in this draft after having such a boring draft the last time around.

Brent
10-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I dont care if it's boring so long as it improves our chances of winning.

YAYareaRB
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
More importantly, do we want to invest $70 Million in another unproven (in the NFL) QB?!?!?!

We can't keep signing these journey man unknowns. Alex Smith was picked because it was either him or Rodgers, both of whom ran gimmicky offenses in college. We gotta change up the trend sometime. Matthew Stafford is one guy I would take a chance on.

Brent
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Matthew Stafford is one guy I would take a chance on.
I agree with this.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:00 AM
I would rather take a "skilled" position in this draft after having such a boring draft the last time around.

Boring wins games. I would take a chance on him too.

Madirishman
10-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Well, boring was the way to describe our draft this last year, but they were in our positions of weakness. Since our Draft picks aren't getting much PT, we have almost all the same needs currently: DT, O-Line (OT), WR, CB. The only "new" need is QB I would add to that mix looking at '09. Now, do we draft for our need again, or do we let the young guys step up that were drafted in those positions in '08?

Obviously we need a QB, and I'll be anxious to take a closer look at this year's group in the offseason. It would be nice to find a gem in the 2nd-4th Rounds that can be developed.

I say Balmer will develop into a good player, but we still need a NT/Space Eater regardless of what D is played next year to help compliment Balmer, Justin Smith, Ray Mac, and Sopo. GET RID OF FRANKLIN!

I would like another "speed" corner, especially if Smith takes over Walt Harris' place. That will leave us with 2 physical corners (which I do like) but we need another corner with a quicker skillset that won't get burned by the faster WRs in the league.

Morgan looks to be the real deal but is still raw and Hill is hungry to prove that he is worthy of a 3rd Round pick, but I would consider adding a big framed "Red Zone" WR to the mix as well. Bruce should be good for another year, but I would bet that Johnson, and possibly Battle, are gone.

OT is a huge need, and I would love to get a "book end" for Staley. I believe it's worth investing another high pick on the right guy, but I don't want to reach (like some teams were later in the 1st Round this year) for an OT just to get one. Luckily (and UNLUCKILY) for the Niners, they'll end up with a Top 10 (or Top 5) pick to get their OT.

If an OT isn't available, I would love to obtain a pass rushing DE high in the 1st, effectively switching to a true 4-3 again.

YAYareaRB
10-31-2008, 12:12 PM
1. Andre Smith OT, Bama
2. Mike Mickens CB, Cincy

or

1. Malcolm Jenkins CB, OSU
2. Phil Loadholdt OT, OK

I think these are some big needs but to put together a young secondary and offensive line is a plan for success. I think we're in heavy need of a pass rusher. I wish we would just make to the switch to a true 4-3 like others have expressed in this thread. I'm thinking Balmer would be moved to DT in a 4-3.

abaddon41_80
10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
2. Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin

or

1. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

or

1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 01:55 PM
The reason why the class has not had a huge impact is because they drafted all developemental players. I think Rachal, Balmer, Smith, Morgan, and maybe even Larry Grant will all be great players. Just not this year. The Orakpo, Loadholt draft is probably my dream draft.

dan77733
10-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Here's an idea -

FREE AGENCY -

DE Terrell Suggs
OLB Karlos Dansby

DRAFT -

CB Malcolm Jenkins

OL will look like this -

LT - Staley
LG - Baas
C - Heitmann
RG - Rachal
RT - Snyder

How's that guys?

I do want Oher but would love to have Jenkins as it appears after him, theres pretty much no one else who's considered a shut down CB.

Brent
10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
If Brian Orakpo is there, I dont see how we can pass on him. We need all the pass rush help possible.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 06:55 PM
If Brian Orakpo is there, I dont see how we can pass on him. We need all the pass rush help possible.

Yeah Orakpo would be a great addition.

FG4prez
11-01-2008, 05:27 PM
vontae davis is also a good shut down guy, but i dont think we need vernon's brother on the team.

rainbeaukid2
11-02-2008, 08:14 PM
The reason why the class has not had a huge impact is because they drafted all developemental players. I think Rachal, Balmer, Smith, Morgan, and maybe even Larry Grant will all be great players. Just not this year. The Orakpo, Loadholt draft is probably my dream draft.
hellz ya, i would love to get both of them. orakpo would add an instant pass rush. but i would only draft him if we can't get suggs in FA

Brent
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
If we're high enough and he's worth it, I would love to get Crabtree. We havent had a dominant WR since TO left.

Menardo75
11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
If we're high enough and he's worth it, I would love to get Crabtree. We havent had a dominant WR since TO left.

I am hoping Josh Morgan turns out to be that guy.

Madirishman
11-03-2008, 08:41 AM
It would be nice to have 2 really good WRs. See: Cardinals, Arizona.

CJSchneider
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry guys, 34 sacks thus far just solidifies my belief that we need a stud of an OT, preferably one in the 1st round. If Hill can come in and have better success behind our front 5, maybe then I'll consider a WR in the first but for now - my choice is OL.

abaddon41_80
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I have been saying that since week 2, cj.

Menardo75
11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Sorry guys, 34 sacks thus far just solidifies my belief that we need a stud of an OT, preferably one in the 1st round. If Hill can come in and have better success behind our front 5, maybe then I'll consider a WR in the first but for now - my choice is OL.

Well yeah right now it has to be O-line the way they have played unless something changes.

Alos the 49ers waived David Kirtman, and signed Sean Ryan TE from New Orleans. I wonder what the point of this is.

Brent
11-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I think the sacks are coming as a result of the scheme. Our OL is built for the run game, not heavy amounts of passing and certainly not many 5-step drops... 7-step drops seem to guarantee failure. As for OT vs. WR, well when you dont have a playmaker outside, I think you have to take one. That was part of the reason why Alex failed. He had no one to throw to but Gore. There is no way you can develop a QB without a reliable target. Yes, Morgan is promising but Hill doesnt seem to be showing much development and no offense to Morgan but I dont think he's going to ever be an elite #1.

FG4prez
11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
UFA
Jordan Gross OT
n asamugha/d robinson/ c gamble CB
tank johnson nt

draft
crabtree
cushing or t jackson pls fall to second

Brent
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
If we draft a QB at some point, I got my hopes up for Brian Johnson of Utah. Since Urban Meyer left, it's become a more spread passing attack.

Madirishman
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Drafting another QB from Utah might be a tough sell to Niner fans.

rainbeaukid2
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
ya, honestly i can't see that happening

49ersfan_87
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Great interview of Jed York by Lowell Cohn. Listening (or reading) what this guy says gives me confidence for the future.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/cohn/2008/11/jed-york-transcript.html

YAYareaRB
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
UFA
Jordan Gross OT
n asamugha/d robinson/ c gamble CB
tank johnson nt

draft
crabtree

I would cream my pants if all this happened....

Menardo75
11-06-2008, 02:48 PM
I would cream my pants if all this happened....

Keep dreaming thats all I gotta say.

CJSchneider
11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Drafting another QB from Utah might be a tough sell to Niner fans.

You can say that again.

Tyson Jackson could fall to the 2nd round. I'm not gonna say it's impossible.

Madirishman
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
You can say that again.

Drafting another QB from Utah might be a tough sell to Niner fans. :)

Brent
11-07-2008, 01:32 PM
From here: http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/11/mccloughans-latest-thoughts-on-smiths-future.html

Maiocco: And what's the feeling about how Alex fits?
McCloughan: The way coach Martz speaks about him to this day, it's too bad he's not healthy. He'd be playing him now. He sees a lot of positives. With the youth of Alex, it means there's still a lot to develop and work on. And with Alex, he's eager to work on it. He wants to soak it in and get better. I know Alex likes the system and likes working with coach Martz.
(emphasis mine)

Madirishman
11-07-2008, 03:15 PM
What I get from this is that Alex and Martz will be back again next year.

Brent
11-07-2008, 03:54 PM
What I get from this is that Alex and Martz will be back again next year.
Only on the condition that he takes a pay cut. However, Alex will be looking for a place where he can potentially start and get paid... oh wait, both of those fit the Niners.

Menardo75
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
It will be really interesting to see how he performs when healthy.

ViperVisor
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Alex is getting married right?

That could make him lean to trying to work out how to stay or not.

Brent
11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Alex is getting married right?

That could make him lean to trying to work out how to stay or not.
He has been engaged for a while. I need to find a pic again, she was effing hot.

EDIT: http://cbs5.com/video/?id=32897@kpix.dayport.com she's very attractive but then again with that much cash, I would expect nothing less.

Menardo75
11-10-2008, 11:59 PM
He has been engaged for a while. I need to find a pic again, she was effing hot.

EDIT: http://cbs5.com/video/?id=32897@kpix.dayport.com she's very attractive but then again with that much cash, I would expect nothing less.

Oh my lord. Alex gets an atta boy.

Brent
11-11-2008, 10:10 AM
You know, if Morgan and Jason Hill are going to play like they did last night for the next few years, I guess I dont have to hope the Niners draft Crabtree. So, now I shall shift my hopes on Orakpo or Oher.

Madirishman
11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
You know, if Morgan and Jason Hill are going to play like they did last night for the next few years, I guess I dont have to hope the Niners draft Crabtree. So, now I shall shift my hopes on Orakpo or Oher.

Yeah, they need to go OT for sure!

It would be nice to add a big, physical WR for goal line jump balls, like a Plaxico or a Sweed. A WR like that can be found after early in the first round, though.

Brent
11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah, they need to go OT for sure!
I dont know what's a bigger need though, another OT or a freaking pass rusher. Plus, do we need to drop that much cash on an OT? I thought Staley has really got up to speed lately at LT and RT still seems like a bigger need.

Madirishman
11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
We may be able to get a pass rusher in the early 2nd, but elite OT's are usually gone by then.

dan77733
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM

DAMN!!! She's definitely HOT!!! Just imagine what his future wife would look like if he was actually good. LOL.

dan77733
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping for a shot at LT Michael Oher so Staley can be moved back to RT. Rachal, Baas and Snyder can compete for the starting guard spots with Heitmann at center. Another possibility is moving Baas back to center and see if he can start over Heitmann. Either way, im leaning towards Oher with our first rounder.

Look at MIA, they drafted Long and they're 5-4 which was unexpected, CLE drafted Thomas last season and went 10-6 and the year before that, NYJ drafted Ferguson and went to the playoffs. Not to say that the drafted LT is the sole reason but I do think it helps your QB play better when he knows he's not going to get crushed from his blindside every few plays. And if the QB plays better, so does the rest of the offense.

Defensive, I want CB Malcom Jenkins. We STILL need a pass rusher and im hoping that Suggs becomes a FA and we can sign him. I'll be so happy. :)

Larry
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I want Andre Smith, I think he has the edge on Oher as the best Left tackle in the nation.

Menardo75
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Staley stays on the left. Need a Mauler at RT in the first. Also Chilo needs to be starting over Wragge I decided.

Larry
11-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I like Staley but I don't think he's a franchise left tackle. Guys like Oher and Andre Smith are much more highly touted now then Staley was coming out of Central Michigan.

49ersfan_87
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Are there any good QB's we can draft this year? We all know we need a young franchise QB, but who do you guys like?

Menardo75
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Unless we are top five and some underclassmen come out (Bradford, Sanchez, Stafford) I would not take a QB on the first day. Staley was not highly touted because he came from Central Michigan. Every game he gets closer to being the guy we think he can be. Played very well last night.

chapo123
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
after last night performance...it's clear we need a qb.
I'm not holding my breath but I'm sure Tebow, Bradford, Stafford and Sanchez are not coming out. if 2 of those calls were not made Hill would have thrown 5 picks all night. jto is not the answer and i'm not waiting for smith, this is the nfl not the nba where guys go # 1 based on potentiality being good like Kwame Brown.

edgrenade
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
What about drafting Tebow and letting him sit for a year or two? Now, I know that he comes from an Urban Meyer offense like Alex, BUT he is an amazing player.

Brent
11-11-2008, 11:06 PM
What about drafting Tebow and letting him sit for a year or two? Now, I know that he comes from an Urban Meyer offense like Alex, BUT he is an amazing player.
Alex was just as good in that system. I saw a ton of games when he was at Utah but they just spread the TDs around.

Menardo75
11-11-2008, 11:11 PM

I want to slap you. Lol Tebow is garbage at QB. I really like what I am seeing from the young WR's. Thye keep these up then we can forget about the position for a while.

abaddon41_80
11-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Alex was just as good in that system. I saw a ton of games when he was at Utah but they just spread the TDs around.

You're right. Smith was just as good as Tebow in Urban Meyer's offense but at Utah they actually ran the ball with running backs at the goalline instead of letting Alex punch it in.

Madirishman
11-12-2008, 09:55 AM
The Niners need to draft a QB that comes from a PRO-STYLE OFFENSE! Look at Matt Ryan and his easy transition into the NFL. He came from a collegiate offense where he read coverages and made decisions....it's allowed a much smoother transition into the NFL. That is one of the many reasons why Alex has struggled, as his system was not "pro-friendly."

Tebow is overrated and will be a decent backup in the NFL. Let some other team overdraft him.

Staley will continue to progress at LT, but he was pretty dominant at RT last year as a rookie. If we draft a natural LT, then I say Staley moves, but if not, then Staley (with 2 years in the pros under his belt) should stay at LT to protect the blindside (assuming we have a Right Handed QB next year) and let the rookie play RT.

Brent
11-13-2008, 08:34 PM
The Niners need to draft a QB that comes from a PRO-STYLE OFFENSE!
Tom Brandstater, Sam Bradford, John Parker Wilson and Rudy Carpenter, are the only guys I can think of but I dont know about Rudy or Tom for sure.

CJSchneider
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Unless we are top five and some underclassmen come out (Bradford, Sanchez, Stafford) I would not take a QB on the first day. Staley was not highly touted because he came from Central Michigan. Every game he gets closer to being the guy we think he can be. Played very well last night.

I agree. Although I'm leary about drafting a QB just to get murdered. Which is what will happen if we don't draft some line help.

Madirishman
11-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree. Although I'm leary about drafting a QB just to get murdered. Which is what will happen if we don't draft some line help.

True that. If they draft a QB early and don't improve the pass protection, then the Niners will just have to have a young, high priced QB hand the ball off all but 15-20 times a game. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad....so long as Gore could stay healthy through even more pounding.

Nah, I'd rather we get line help first so we don't have another QB like Alex come in and get David Carr syndrome from getting smacked all game, every game.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Tom Brandstater, Sam Bradford, John Parker Wilson and Rudy Carpenter, are the only guys I can think of but I dont know about Rudy or Tom for sure.

Marc Sanchez????

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Marc Sanchez????

If he comes out I would be all for getting him.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 01:26 AM
If he comes out I would be all for getting him.

Who wouldnt? he would be lovely.

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Seriously bring on the USC guys.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Seriously bring on the USC guys.

every team in the NFL should live by that :)

hey dude....wanna take that quote off your sig? :)

CJSchneider
11-14-2008, 06:48 AM
You guys have no clue how much crap I take by being a USC fan (Pac 10 in general) living in Louisiana, where everyone else is a Tigers fan (or SEC in general).

abaddon41_80
11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Mark Sanchez is basically a glorified John David Booty. He isn't even as good a prospect as Matt Leinart was.

Madirishman
11-14-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm not sold on Sanchez either.

Booty was drafted by Minnesota and they have QB issues, Why wasn't he discussed as an option to replace Jackson?

Brent
11-14-2008, 10:17 AM
You guys have no clue how much crap I take by being a USC fan (Pac 10 in general) living in Louisiana, where everyone else is a Tigers fan (or SEC in general).
Yeah, I always root for Pac 10 teams so long as they aren't playing us but they let me down at times.

Booty was drafted by Minnesota and they have QB issues, Why wasn't he discussed as an option to replace Jackson?
Because Childress wont admit he ****** up with Jackson and Gus was ahead of him on the depth chart.

49ersfan_87
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Thoughts about bringing Matt Cassell in the offseason?

He's played solid ball but he has a great supporting cast, plus he still has a shaky deep ball. If we bring him in its for a WCO but still, id like to be a little more confident in his all-around ability.

I would still want to draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd rounds even if we got Cassell, i wouldnt hedge all my bets on him.