PDA

View Full Version : New Deal For Jones-Drew

Splat
04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
New Deal For Jones-Drew (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/15/new-deal-for-jones-drew/)

"According to Michael C. Wright of the Florida Times-Union, Jones-Drew has agreed to terms (http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-04-15/story/jaguars_jones-drew_agree_on_new_contract) on a long-term extension with the team.

Per Wright, the deal is believed to pay Jones-Drew in the range of $8 million per year, with $20 million guaranteed."

Splat
04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Just wow crazy money.

bored of education
04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
MJD is frigging amazing! I wonder if Keak sees a % of that

Flippityskip91
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Good to see "Pocket Hercules" getting some love. I enjoy watching him beast on occasion.

yourfavestoner
04-15-2009, 11:27 AM
This is the best news of the offseason.

Thunder&Lightning
04-15-2009, 11:59 AM
MJD really deserves it

The Dynasty
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Good to see him locked up for longer. Just looking at that Money and seeing he is 3rd Highest paid RB in the league behind Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson makes me wonder what Adrian Peterson is going to get when the vikings try to extend his contract..

The Unseen
04-15-2009, 12:07 PM
awwww hell yeah.

Now let's hope to God Gene Smith doesn't draft Beanie Wells.

FlyingElvis
04-15-2009, 12:10 PM
^ don't worry, most mocks have Sanchez at 8. ;)

Glad to see MJD getting paid. He always seems like a stand up guy. Let's see how he holds up in the true #1 role.

The Unseen
04-15-2009, 12:12 PM
^ don't worry, most mocks have Sanchez at 8. ;)

Glad to see MJD getting paid. He always seems like a stand up guy. Let's see how he holds up in the true #1 role.

The Jaguars.com lead guy has us taking Beanie Wells. He's usually right.

Highagain
04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Good to see him locked up for longer. Just looking at that Money and seeing he is 3rd Highest paid RB in the league behind Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson makes me wonder what Adrian Peterson is going to get when the vikings try to extend his contract..

The good news is Peterson is signed to a 6-year deal so an extension isn't likely for a few seasons. That said, if Peterson keeps performing like he has and stays healthy, he's going to get the biggest runningback contract in history by a wide-margin. He's one of the few backs in today's NFL who you can build an offense around and he will single-handedly win you games.

SimonRath
04-15-2009, 12:32 PM
thanks god the falcons signed Turner to a long contract last off season

Strongside
04-15-2009, 12:34 PM
That's a lot for a running back but I was expecting more TBH. It's always fun watching this guy play

Geo
04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
As much as I like Jones-Drew, this seems like crazy money to me. I would have waited to see how he fares as the starter in '09 (only started 4 games to this point) and to see what if anything becomes of labor uncertainty in 2011.

The only reason I can think of doing this now is to meet the salary floor, which I didn't think was a problem for Jacksonville. Or if Jones-Drew was going to hold out for as long as possible until he did get a new deal, but I don't think he would have done that either.

Well, they've got him locked up. He's going to be the identity of their offense for next couple of years.

vidae
04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I like the extension. He's a great player and seems like a quality guy off the field.

And you just reminded me that LJ was the highest paid RB in the NFL. Thanks Carl Peterson!

brat316
04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't think it to bad. I can't wait till AP gets paid.

4 year extension for 32 million. That makes him the third or 4th highest paid.
Jackson, Johnson, Portis/Jones-Drew

Addict
04-15-2009, 01:31 PM
MJD is frigging amazing! I wonder if Keak sees a % of that

oh he'll see it when MJD sleeps on his big pile 'o money

Brent
04-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I wonder if Keak is in MJD's posse still.

Matthew Jones
04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.

IndyColtScout
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I wish Indy would have picked MJD over Addai

Geo
04-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Assuming this in in fact an extension as reported, and not a completely new deal, he'll actually be paid $32.8M plus $535K over the next 5 years as the last year of his rookie deal still exists.

So yes, the Jags will still have paid him $32.8M for 4 more years, assuming he plays out the contract (and he likely will).

But as their new starting runningback for the next 5 years, he's paid $6.667M per season on average.

And that's not going into scenarios like a backloaded last year or a pre-emptive roster bonus.

Sniper
04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I wish Indy would have picked MJD over Addai

You have Mike Hart, which more than makes up for it.

TitanHope
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Not looking forward to seeing him in the division for the next couple of years.

With MJD, Johnson, and Slaton, the AFCS has some speed at RB.

BlindSite
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Jesus, if this is the type of money a franchise back demands it'll be hard to keep DeAngelo in 2 years.

Good signing for all involved, now if only there was a team around him.

Brodeur
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I guess it's nice to get some cash before you're forced to carry an atrocious supporting cast.

Mr. Hero
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM
MJD is amazing. MJD is the reason I'm so psyched about bradshaw because ahmad runs like MJD with lower top speed, same explosiveness and same ferociousness.

Menardo75
04-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Wow didn't he only say this a week ago? That was fast.

The Unseen
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm never a fan of giving a running back a big deal. Just looking at it historically no running back ever really lives up to a massive new deal. Look at Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Ricky Williams, etc. Even last year Westbrook, SJax, and Barber got big deals and none of them played very well. If you want to look at guys in the $20 million range, you've got Kevan Barlow, Ahman Green in Houston, etc. I actually made a topic about this once.

Historically teams have also been able to find good running backs in later rounds of the draft or in free agency. You can build a pretty nice stable of running backs now for very cheap, and the benefit of that is that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket. Most of the successful NFL teams as far as rushing use a two-back approach - the only one I can think of in the top ten last year that didn't really go two backs was Washington with Portis.

Pittsburgh has Mendenhall and Parker, Dallas has Marion/Felix/Choice, New York had Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward, New England has Morris/Maroney/Faulk/Fast Fred, Baltimore has Rice/McGahee/McClain. That's the kind of rushing attack that's becoming popular in the NFL, and for good reason. If MJD gets hurt next year, they're screwed because they invested so much money in just him at running back that it's hard to have someone else there who can play.

The key is that the deal is only 4 years. While there's alot of money involved, the length of the contract gives the team some room to manuever around a possible slip-up.

jth1331
04-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Portis is really the only RB that I would say has done well after his big time new contract.
But I agree about giving RB's a lot of money. Especially one who has rarely started. Michael Turner's production amazed me because I thought he'd bust ala Lamont Jordan. While I do think Turner won't be as productive next year, he still is better than I thought he would be.

Xenos
04-16-2009, 12:14 AM

LT really is the only exception to that rule.

Shahin
04-16-2009, 06:13 PM
MJD is amazing. MJD is the reason I'm so psyched about bradshaw because ahmad runs like MJD with lower top speed, same explosiveness and same ferociousness.

i disagree.

:)

Splat
04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
I hope the Jags don't plan on using MDJ as KR/PR still that would be over kill IMO they need to keep him fresh as a RB.