PDA

View Full Version : Adam Schefter heads to ESPN

BeerBaron
04-15-2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/15/sources-schefter-to-espn/

Hmm....ESPN is just taking the Yankee approach to their football analysts now it seems. If you can't beat them, sign them over to your team.

Schefter was the best on NFLN...helped get it off the ground.

Brent
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
How long before he starts acting like the rest of the on-air ESPN drones?

keylime_5
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Sellout :)

10 chars.

Thumper
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ESPN WILL POISON HIM!! Schefter is now falling down a steep slippery slope. :(

PoopSandwich
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
Schefter is the only person where when I see a report I know its right... Hopefully ESPN doesn't corrupt him.

T-RICH49
04-15-2009, 08:04 PM
huh Shefter and Mort on the same network?after their back and fourth regaurding Shanny to KC that should be fun

Splat
04-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Good move on the part of ESPN.

BeerBaron
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
How long before he starts acting like the rest of the on-air ESPN drones?

In his first month there I bet they have him taking the wild side in discussions just to make it so theres some differing opinions for interest reasons.....ugh.

Hopefully NFLN has some young up and comer who can be the new Schefter.

PACKmanN
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
so who is NFLN insight guy?

Thumper
04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
My only two respected NFL guys are now on ESPN, John Clayton and Adam Schefter.

At least NFL Network still has Mike Mayock. Now if ESPN got him it would be a real monopoly. Mayock and Kiper would be deadly.

vidae
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh no. Who is going to ruin each and every pick on NFLNs draft coverage?

Splat
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
John Clayton and Adam Schefter.

The dream team.

Mort might be toast?

BeerBaron
04-15-2009, 08:14 PM

At least NFL Network still has Mike Mayock. Now if ESPN got him it would be a real monopoly. Mayock and Kiper would be deadly.

If that happened, Todd McShay would be cut from the team faster than Walter Thomas (http://failuremagazine.blogspot.com/2007/05/walter-thomas-goes-bust-in-12-minutes.html) in the Louisiana heat......

IndyColtScout
04-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Wow that is absolutely huge, I think Schefter is the man and think he's a hell of an evaluator and reporter for never being an NFL player. I really respect his opinions.

Matthew Jones
04-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Mike Mayock seems like a total idiot this year. Not sure exactly what happened. He was never my favorite but this year he just seems to be on a whole new level of bad. I won't ever understand why he has Robert Ayers ranked as high as he does, unless he somehow starts to put together a few good seasons at some point.

Matthew Jones
04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Wow that is absolutely huge, I think Schefter is the man and think he's a hell of an evaluator and reporter for never being an NFL player. I really respect his opinions.

I agree, Schefter is definitely one of the most knowledgeable broadcasters.

Geo
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
NFL Network screwed up, unless they can sign Jay Glazer away from Fox.

Steve Wyche can't hold Schefter's Blackberry protective cover.

I'll be watching ESPN whenever Schefter is on.

The_Dude
04-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess this is good and bad.

I like the competition that NFLN provides, but i don't get it (stoopid ******* comcast), so now i am happy that i do get to watch him on ESPN. But i don't like ESPN & I think that he will ultimately end up like the rest of the douchbag reporters on that network.

I'm conflicted :(

AJHawk50
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Man, ESPN loads up on analysts...

scottyboy
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
well, it's a good thing I get all my breaking news via the interwebz and only use espn/NFLN for scores and games/draft

the decider13
04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Schefter is the bomb, everything is a rumor until he says that it is official. Wish he was making it to ESPN by the draft. Schefter+Kiper=draft bliss

bored of education
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I think NFLN should have sucked up and paid the man. I knew contract negotiations were going south. Schef was looking for big bucks and NFLN should have paid. But I don't know all the details.

coordinator0
04-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Man this sucks, I loved Schefter on NFLN and now IDK if they have any other decent reporters... Although I am a big fan of Mary Strong and Lindsey Soto. :)

I'm thinking that Steve Wyche is going to be the replacement for Schefter, unfortunately.

skinzzfan25
04-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I think NFLN should have sucked up and paid the man. I knew contract negotiations were going south. Schef was looking for big bucks and NFLN should have paid. But I don't know all the details.

Ever think that was the network and not Schefter? I mean after all it is the network owned by the NFL. I guess we'll really see how respected Schefter is in the biz without the NFLN backing him. I doubt they would have let him walk if he meant so much to the network.

Brent
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
I guess we'll really see how respected Schefter is in the biz without the NFLN backing him.
I forgot about that, I remember now that teams are obligated to let the NFLN do basically whatever they want.

BuddyCHRIST
04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm excited as I don't have NFLN anymore, ESPN has some solid guys and is improving from a few years ago when Salisbury was the go to guy. If only they would cut Merril Hodge, because I like Dilfer and Schlereth is even ok.

skinzzfan25
04-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I forgot about that, I remember now that teams are obligated to let the NFLN do basically whatever they want.

Yup, exactly. I mean all they have to do is find a nice little nerd and give him a blackberry that feeds off of any NFL news and bam Schefter 2.0

I will admit though I did like his reporting and anaylsis of trades/events in the NFL. He usually approaches them with a level headed, non-agenda-ish, approach.

04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
NFLN feels a little emptier leading up to the draft this time around without Schefter. Definitely a big blow, but Mayock and Casserly together are pretty good on Path to the Draft. I still like Faulk too.

WMD
04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Cool. I'm losing NFLN on May 1st due to Comca$t anyways..

Smokey Joe
04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
As long as NFLN holds onto Casserly, I'm happy. Casserly is better than anyone on any other sports channel. Sure, he won't be breaking news like Shefter, but he provides the best analysis of anyone.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I want Corey Chavous back on draft day doing day 2 prospect reports.

04-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I want Corey Chavous back on draft day doing day 2 prospect reports.

The only memory I recall of Corey Chavous on NFLN is him pimping Reggie McNeal all year round haha. Besides that he was actually a very good talent evaluator.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Haha, but still, Reggie McNeal>>>Pat White.

Thunder&Lightning
04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
wow really surprised here

TACKLE
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty rattled. I love my NFLN and Schefter is hands down, the best at what he does. Schefter and Rich Eisen are the heart and soul of the network. Schefter the kind of guy who will look through peoples' garbage and will secretly tape record conversations. Not really but he is dedicated. I wish NFL Network would just bite the bullet and pay the man. Schefter probably wanted more money/pub so ESPN makes sense. Mort is garbage at his job and is just posts rumors as facts.

And for those of you who think that he knows the pick and says something before ala Chris Berman, that's not true. Schefter does not get this info yet because of his incredible knowledge he can predict the picks despite having limited football knowledge.

Thunder&Lightning
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I bet hes makin bank now, which he deserves.

How much you think these guys make?

WMD
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
They should get Torry Holt back on the draft coverage. He did a nice job in 2005..

vidae
04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
And for those of you who think that he knows the pick and says something before ala Chris Berman, that's not true. Schefter does not get this info yet because of his incredible knowledge he can predict the picks despite having limited football knowledge.

Many many times last year he'd say something along the lines of "it looks as if the pick is going to be <name>, they're pulling the trigger on <name> right now.." and that really didn't sound like he was predicting anything.

I don't mind him normally, just HATED him during the draft.

LonghornsLegend
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Damnit ESPN, I don't like this at all.

Brodeur
04-15-2009, 10:25 PM
They should get Torry Holt back on the draft coverage. He did a nice job in 2005..

His WOAH-HO-HO after the Lions drafted Mike Williams was comical.

WMD
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, he had glasses on.. made me think he knew what he was talking about.

E-Man
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Ehh it's just his reporting that will be missed. I don't think his strength was analysis anyway. He made his fame by being a guy who got his facts straight, and I think NFLN can replace that. Since they are the official news I'm sure they'll make sure Schefter's replacement is on point instead of just perpetuating silly rumors.

MidwayMonster31
04-15-2009, 11:48 PM
It will be interesting to see if a power struggle between ESPN and the NFL Network occurs. There is already a pretty big struggle going on between the NFL Network and Comcast. Schefter is one of the best reporters out there. This also makes me wonder if Clayton or Mortensen are going to retire any time soon.

broadstbullies
04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
NFLN lost in Comcast.. soon to be lost in the universe. ESPN is gonna bury them completely. Take Warren Sapp

Ward
04-16-2009, 12:05 AM

Do the entire forum a favor and find a clip of this - it sounds like gold. Ditto if anyone can find Keyshawn @ the draft talking about teaming up with Dwayne Jarrett and how excited he was to mentor him.

The Dynasty
04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Well there is no way he can be my Role Model now...Why Adam Why!

Brent
04-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Keyshawn @ the draft talking about teaming up with Dwayne Jarrett and how excited he was to mentor him.
That was hilarious. When they made that pick I was like, "there goes Keyshawn" and then he is all excited to mentor him. Gold.

Abaddon
04-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Oh no. Who is going to ruin each and every pick on NFLNs draft coverage?

Ha! Thank you.

Abaddon
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM

Riiiiiight.

brat316
04-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Do the entire forum a favor and find a clip of this - it sounds like gold. Ditto if anyone can find Keyshawn @ the draft talking about teaming up with Dwayne Jarrett and how excited he was to mentor him.

DQ4zjFGynmc

PACKmanN
04-16-2009, 12:45 AM
so will he continue writing his blog/reports on NFL.com or will he writing them on ESPN.com?

brat316
04-16-2009, 12:50 AM
just one more

UTj9aa1N_WM

killxswitch
04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Well crap. I'm sure NFLN will get someone else to replace him that can do similar things but Schefter was great. On the 4-letter he will be crammed into the same mold as all their other commentators.

Splat
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm excited as I don't have NFLN anymore, ESPN has some solid guys and is improving from a few years ago when Salisbury was the go to guy. If only they would cut Merril Hodge, because I like Dilfer and Schlereth is even ok.

I don't think Hodge can go four seconds with out talking about the Steelers.

brat316
04-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Dilfer is a moron, when it comes to the draft he doesn't know anything.

Schlereth aka Stinky, I like him even though he is a moron as well, but he tell it like it is.

E-Man
04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
just one more

UTj9aa1N_WM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Sr8q4ZQafM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Sr8q4ZQafM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D

Brothgar
04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow ESPN now has 4 people with an iota of credibility

Clayton
Keiper
McShay
and now Schefter

Addict
04-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Wow ESPN now has 4 people with an iota of credibility

Clayton
Keiper
McShay
and now Schefter

wait, wut?

fear the elf
04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
wait, wut?

wut ain't no country i ever heard of. they speak english in wut?

Addict
04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

... wut?!?!?!

yourfavestoner
04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
wait, wut?

Eh...McShay is credible, if only because he never says anything outside of what the general consensus is.

Brent
04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
SAY WHAT AGAIN!

Philliez01
04-16-2009, 02:36 PM

While we're at it, how about the most "chill" interview ever with Willis McGahee, Edge and Clinton Portis?

thetedginnshow
04-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Man. My grandpa loves Schefter. Now he'll actually get to see him again. Stupid Comcast...

jballa838
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
hopefully Mayock is next. Then Scott Wright can become the man on NFLN. :)

M.O.T.H.
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Adam Schefter is already annoying as hell so he'll fit right in.

FlyingElvis
04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Bummer. So long Adam. Sorry, but no analyst is worth going back to ESPN.

NFLN feels a little emptier leading up to the draft this time around without Schefter. Definitely a big blow, but Mayock and Casserly together are pretty good on Path to the Draft. I still like Faulk too.

Starting next year. Schef is under contract until August.

As always . . . until it's confirmed it is still speculation. Please NFLN, make it un-happen.

Smokey Joe
04-16-2009, 03:11 PM
hopefully Mayock is next. Then Scott Wright can become the man on NFLN. :)
That'd be sick as hell if Scott will be a regular on Path to the Draft next year. Scott said he was invited to go on path to the draft this year, but turned it down because he was too busy.

Smokey Joe
04-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Bummer. So long Adam. Sorry, but no analyst is worth going back to ESPN.

Starting next year. Schef is under contract until August.

As always . . . until it's confirmed it is still speculation. Please NFLN, make it un-happen.
So does that mean we'll still see Shefter on NFLN for the next couple of months and at the draft?

Brent
04-16-2009, 03:16 PM
So does that mean we'll still see Shefter on NFLN for the next couple of months and at the draft?
If he is under contract until August, he should be there for the draft.

FlyingElvis
04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
If he is under contract until August, he should be there for the draft.

Exactly - should. I have not seen much of him recently on NFLN, so I guess it's possible (assuming this report is correct) that he won't be there on draft day but I seriously doubt it. He's still getting paid by NFLN, so I can't imagine they won't make him work.

Geo
04-16-2009, 03:43 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Schefter hasn't updated his blog at nfl.com since March 3rd, probably the same time frame since he's been on TV.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much that he'll be working the Draft for NFL Network next weekend.

E-Man
04-16-2009, 03:54 PM
SAY WHAT AGAIN!
Describe what Keyshawn Johnson looks like.

Castle
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Even though Schefter is under contract till August, it doesn't seem like NFLN is going to use him for their draft day coverage considering he hasn't been seen in over a month. Guess we're stuck with Lombardi and Wyche.

Staubach12
04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
He's the best. Hopefully he has more influence on ESPN than ESPN has on him.

brat316
04-16-2009, 10:24 PM
He's the best. Hopefully he has more influence on ESPN than ESPN has on him.

did you know there is a Staubach4