PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Dukes, not the smartest cookie.

coordinator0
04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
He thinks that drafting a QB this year is not the answer to Detroit's problems, oh no, he thinks picking up a QB out of FA is the way to go. What QB you ask? Michael Vick. I had quite a good time LOLing about this. I would take Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman before even touching Vick.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/15/dukes-solution-for-lions-is-vick/

WMD
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM

5 Fingers of Death
04-16-2009, 02:31 AM
To me, this means people who are in the business or have and played in the sport may not know how best to evaluate NFL talent.

Couple of examples,

Kevin Smith, running back for our Lions, told the media we had a good chance to go the playoffs preseason. While Smith is a great running back, his football knowledge is lacking. I would of said, "I am going to do everything i can to make this team better." To say the Lions would make the playoffs just shows you have no clue of the history of the NFL and the history of the Lions. I would of let my actions speak for me. He even told Pat Caputo he has not watched Matthew Stafford play enough to know how good he is. The great players are also a student of the game.

Joe Dumars. GM of the Pistons. While he was a great basketball player and an idol to many Detroit Fans, he drafted Cleaves, Rodney White, and Darko.
How can a person who lived and breathed NBA cannot see that these players were not NBA caliber players?

That's why the majority of GMs are usually not professional athletes. They are usually great minds who can analyze and predict prospects. This is an art which is hit and miss, but the great GMs have a knack of finding the right talent and developing them.

So, i would take anything a professional athlete like Jamie Dukes has to say with a grain of salt. People like Scott Wright has got my ear. Great interview with MLive to tell it the way it is.

BRAVEHEART
04-16-2009, 03:23 AM
To me, this means people who are in the business or have and played in the sport may not know how best to evaluate NFL talent.

Couple of examples,

Kevin Smith, running back for our Lions, told the media we had a good chance to go the playoffs preseason. While Smith is a great running back, his football knowledge is lacking. I would of said, "I am going to do everything i can to make this team better." To say the Lions would make the playoffs just shows you have no clue of the history of the NFL and the history of the Lions. I would of let my actions speak for me. He even told Pat Caputo he has not watched Matthew Stafford play enough to know how good he is. The great players are also a student of the game.

Joe Dumars. GM of the Pistons. While he was a great basketball player and an idol to many Detroit Fans, he drafted Cleaves, Rodney White, and Darko.
How can a person who lived and breathed NBA cannot see that these players were not NBA caliber players?

That's why the majority of GMs are usually not professional athletes. They are usually great minds who can analyze and predict prospects. This is an art which is hit and miss, but the great GMs have a knack of finding the right talent and developing them.

So, i would take anything a professional athlete like Jamie Dukes has to say with a grain of salt. People like Scott Wright has got my ear. Great interview with MLive to tell it the way it is.

Not a good example (for your argument). Dude assembled one of the greatest teams of all time out of scrubs and unwanted players.

WMD
04-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Not a good example (for your argument). Dude assembled one of the greatest teams of all time out of scrubs and unwanted players.
Yeah, plus he hit big on Tayshaun at #23. No matter how good or bad you are, you're gonna get lucky/make a mistake..

tblain1
04-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Couple of examples,

As a player you have to believe it. And to be honest the team was close the year before (7-9 or 8-8). I can't fault him for that, and I'd rather he say that he believes he is on a playoff team.

coordinator0
04-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, plus he hit big on Tayshaun at #23. No matter how good or bad you are, you're gonna get lucky/make a mistake..

Let's not forget Stuckey at 14 (I think). He took him overa guy like Nick Young who was pretty highly regarded at the time. Seems to me like it worked out lol.

Calvin & Kevin
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Couple of examples,

Uhh... Dumars is one of the best GMs in the NBA. Show me a GM in any sport (whether a pro athlete or not) who has never drafted or signed multiple busts. Look at Pioli/Belichek's record for example, there are plenty of busts on there.

Every executive makes mistakes. What makes a terrible exec is the failure to fix them. Look at Matt Millen. What made him the worst GM of all time was making mistakes with personnel and then sticking with them for four or five seasons because he didn't want to admit he was wrong.

And what are you saying, that media guys like Scott or other draft experts are who you trust over real league personnel people and managers? Good luck with that. No disrespect to Scott, but if he was that much smarter than people who work for NFL teams, he would have their jobs and their salaries. Same goes for Kiper and Mayock and every other media expert.

The only reason why we don't remember a whole laundry list of wrong evaluations Scott has made is because in the end no one cares if Scott is right or wrong - this website is here for discusssion and speculation and no NFL franchise is affected in the tiniest little bit by it. Whereas if Scott were a NFL exec or personnel guy, every wrong evaluation he's ever made would be reflected in real results on the field for some team.

Prowler
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
dumars is the man at everything except for the darko pick. i still have no idea what he was thinking with that pick.

Addict
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
He thinks that drafting a QB this year is not the answer to Detroit's problems, oh no, he thinks picking up a QB out of FA is the way to go. What QB you ask? Michael Vick. I had quite a good time LOLing about this. I would take Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman before even touching Vick.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/15/dukes-solution-for-lions-is-vick/

I would get the Def Leopard drummer before I touch Vick:

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gamestar/objects/135965_main.jpg

WMD
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
dumars is the man at everything except for the darko pick. i still have no idea what he was thinking with that pick.
I would've taken Darko too. I loved Darko even before the Pistons got the #2 Pick.. and it's not like the pick just came out of nowhere, plenty of people thought Darko should be #2 overall.. Of course, he didn't prove to be worth the pick.. But the pick was close to a no brainer considering Tayshaun came out of nowhere in the playoffs that year, and Memo was a Free Agent after the season.

FlyingElvis
04-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Dukes has had a stiffy for Vick forever.

Sure, Vick would probably sell more tickets. He would certainly improve the running game.

He would also completely destroy the development of CJ, cause a major PR nightmare for a team that is already a major PR nightmare, and to top it off Vick could flat out suck. He was a decent QB at best who has been out of the NFL for years.

Whatever Jamie.

tblain1
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I would've taken Darko too. I loved Darko even before the Pistons got the #2 Pick.. and it's not like the pick just came out of nowhere, plenty of people thought Darko should be #2 overall.. Of course, he didn't prove to be worth the pick.. But the pick was close to a no brainer considering Tayshaun came out of nowhere in the playoffs that year, and Memo was a Free Agent after the season.

Agreed. I had Darko fever as well. Most draft boards had him at #2 overall, but a bit of a project. He was a big, young kid with potential. Those kind of guys are dangerous because development is crucial, and what happened? Larry Brown buried him on the bench. Not totally Larry's fault as he was trying to build a winner, but a kid who is 19, 20 needs to play and learn (preferably in a lower league than the NBA).

Overall Dumars has done great things for the Pistons. The Big Ben trade. Drafting Tayshaun. Drafting Memo. Drafting Stuckey. Signing Billups. Trading for Hamilton when Stack was one of the pieces. Rasheed Trade. A championship no one expected.

And the Billips/Iverson trade isn't over yet ... cap room is cleared, whether its used in the offseason remains to be seen but one would hope it means a big move is coming.

Joe has made some mistakes but the positive moves he has made for this team greatly overshadow a few drafting errors.

Brodeur
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Who the hell is Jamie Dukes?

Addict
04-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Who the hell is Jamie Dukes?

the fat guy who talks too much on NFLN.