PDA

View Full Version : Help me beat the deadline!

tjsunstein
04-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I have 20 minutes to come up with an idea and thesis about any topic I please, pending professor approval. I leave it up to you, SWDC, to decide my English 102 fate. The best topic left here (that I think I can write about for seven pages) will be chosen. I think this is a group creative enough to come up something better than Steroids in baseball and how they corrupted the game.

Clock starts.. Now.

the decider13
04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
In celebration of Jackie Robinson Day...How Jackie Robinson changed the world of sports

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
In celebration of Jackie Robinson Day...How Jackie Robinson changed the world of sports

I think this should end this thread.

fischbowl
04-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Please, the steroids topic is so overused.

Go for something relevant and controversial that maybe broadens your horizons outside of sports

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
How Martin Brodeur is better than Patrick Roy and Zach Parise is better than Wayne Gretzky.

tjsunstein
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Please, the steroids topic is so overused.

Go for something relevant and controversial that maybe broadens your horizons outside of sports

It is very overused, I agree. But there is so much information floating out there that there are very many view points.

I'm using the Jackie Robinson one. Well played.

the decider13
04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
How Martin Brodeur is better than Patrick Roy and Zach Parise is better than Wayne Gretzky.

I like Parise...but I can not take part in any Roy blasphemy!!

And woo hoo to me picking the topic!

tjsunstein
04-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Controversial, I like it.

Go Devils! Rock the Red ...at the Rock!

TheBuffaloBills
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Maybe talk about how some of the high end teams (Cowboys, Yankees etc) charge ridiculous prices for seats and food. Say how they are geared towards making as much money as possible, thus eliminating the average fan. You could talk about how the middle classes in those cities can't afford going to the games because of the economy. I don't know, just an idea.

EDIT: Ok nevermind, you're going with the Jackie Robinson one. That's a good one.

tjsunstein
04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Maybe talk about how some of the high end teams (Cowboys, Yankees etc) charge ridiculous prices for seats and food. Say how they are geared towards making as much money as possible, thus eliminating the average fan. You could talk about how the middle classes in those cities can't afford going to the games because of the economy. I don't know, just an idea.

EDIT: Ok nevermind, you're going with the Jackie Robinson one. That's a good one.

I like that topic a lot, though. The Jackie Robinson is too good of an idea to pass up. I'll keep that idea in the back of my head for my next paper in business. + Rep for using your head.

04-15-2009, 10:59 PM

I would certainly know about that living close to Toronto and Leaf Nation. It's ******* ridiculous, but at the end of the day no matter what goes on with the team, the fans always show up.

TheBuffaloBills
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I would certainly know about that living close to Toronto and Leaf Nation. It's ******* ridiculous, but at the end of the day no matter what goes on with the team, the fans always show up.

Yeah, I agree. No matter how much the cost, I would find away to get Bills' seasons tix.

Brent
04-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Dog fighting, much like Balinese cockfighting, is a rhetorical representation of manhood in certain populations of American culture.

04-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I agree. No matter how much the cost, I would find away to get Bills' seasons tix.

Yeah, but it's a bit different in Buffalo. The team isn't always selling out like it used to. Toronto continues to increase ticket prices, even during these economic times, and of course, business goes on as usual.

the decider13
04-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Dog fighting, much like Balinese cockfighting, is a rhetorical representation of manhood in certain populations of American culture.

That is quite the controversial topic lol

TheBuffaloBills
04-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, but it's a bit different in Buffalo. The team isn't always selling out like it used to. Toronto continues to increase ticket prices, even during these economic times, and of course, business goes on as usual.

The Bills are still selling out consistently. The last blacked out game was three years ago I believe. You're right about Toronto. 250 dollar tickets for a preseason game is absurd. That's just awful.

fischbowl
04-15-2009, 11:20 PM
TBB is right, we've sold out every game since 2005

TheBuffaloBills
04-15-2009, 11:26 PM
TBB is right, we've sold out every game since 2005

I had the flu so I sat the Bills vs. Jaguars game out. Of course it was blacked out, and we one. MJD ran all over us that game, and that's when Tasker said "If you weren't at this game, damnit you should've been."

Brent
04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
That is quite the controversial topic lol
It was my senior thesis. Of course said way more eloquently.

Brodeur
04-15-2009, 11:50 PM
How Martin Brodeur is better than God

That is far better of a topic. And if you want a controversial topic, how about the fact that FDR knew about Pearl Harbor before hand and let it happen? Now that's some good stuff.

Mr. Hero
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
That is far better of a topic. And if you want a controversial topic, how about the fact that FDR knew about Pearl Harbor before hand and let it happen? Now that's some good stuff.

God I hate FDR.

Although this always makes me smile:
N-SoFdFbfZw

Brent
04-16-2009, 12:17 AM
1) Why do you hate FDR?
2) I have seen that here before, it's funny.

Mr. Hero
04-16-2009, 01:06 AM
1) Why do you hate FDR?
2) I have seen that here before, it's funny.

From drawing the US into WWII by letting Pearl Harbor happen, how he prolonged the great depression, single handedly ensured the welfare state and the general deification of FDR. Or how he became the first and only president to serve more than two terms. He's a president I disagree with severely on practically everything. And his adoring fans have somehow warped history to the point where Hoover is considered a free-market capitalist president just to make their hero look even more progressive and before his time.

WMD
04-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Should've done it on cat juggling..

Brent
04-16-2009, 01:57 AM
From drawing the US into WWII by letting Pearl Harbor happen, how he prolonged the great depression, single handedly ensured the welfare state and the general deification of FDR. Or how he became the first and only president to serve more than two terms. He's a president I disagree with severely on practically everything. And his adoring fans have somehow warped history to the point where Hoover is considered a free-market capitalist president just to make their hero look even more progressive and before his time.
Boy, you and I do not see eye to eye on this (no, I'm not one of the FDR fanboys) so I shall say, agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Mr. Hero
04-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Boy, you and I do not see eye to eye on this (no, I'm not one of the FDR fanboys) so I shall say, agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I'd love to hear someone try and validate what FDR did, to PM we go? I won't be on much after today til next week, headin home for my birthday, but I'll bring some books back with me to strengthen my arguments.

Brent
04-16-2009, 02:03 AM
I'd love to hear someone try and validate what FDR did, to PM we go? I won't be on much after today til next week, headin home for my birthday, but I'll bring some books back with me to strengthen my arguments.
I dont disagree on the Pearl Harbor part or the rest, just the prolonging of the Great Depression part. As for taking this to PM, I have to admit that arguing over historical political topics isn't exactly something I feel like doing. And doing it over the internet just makes it even less appealing. Maybe another time.

Mr. Hero
04-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I dont disagree on the Pearl Harbor part or the rest, just the prolonging of the Great Depression part. As for taking this to PM, I have to admit that arguing over historical political topics isn't exactly something I feel like doing. And doing it over the internet just makes it even less appealing. Maybe another time.

awww, I love talking about the great depression. The 20s and 30s is a great case study for the austrian school of economics, really highlights how central banking when affiliated with central power can either go haywire and screw a nation (the great depression) or can be quickly handled if a re-adjustment isn't meddled with (the depression of 1920)

yourfavestoner
04-16-2009, 02:21 AM
awww, I love talking about the great depression. The 20s and 30s is a great case study for the austrian school of economics, really highlights how central banking when affiliated with central power can either go haywire and screw a nation (the great depression) or can be quickly handled if a re-adjustment isn't meddled with (the depression of 1920)

Ron Paul fan, eh?

Mr. Hero
04-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Ron Paul fan, eh?

I do like ron paul, if I were able to trust a politician, i'd probably trust him. Barry Goldwater was the last presidential candidate that I actually would've supported, if that helps.

Brent
04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Barry Goldwater was the last presidential candidate that I actually would've supported, if that helps.
I had to write a paper once on this ad:

m-o0392K3mk