2b. Wood - backup Koppen and play guard next year
2c. Shonn Greene - the anti-Maroney
3a. Fili Moala - could play DE or DT with pats
3b. Fenuki Tupou - guard could also play tackle
4. Jairus Byrd - could play safety, timed slow so will probably fall
5. Dillard / Quan Cosby - good WR production

FlyingElvis
04-17-2009, 10:24 AM
No help at all for safety? Merriweather is awesome. The same can't be said for Sanders and, even if you like him, we still need some depth behind him.

Chung instead of the anti-Maroney or Vaughn in the 4th. I won't be surprised or upset if they draft an RB . . . unless it means we don't get a safety.

hannah73
04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
No help at all for safety? Merriweather is awesome. The same can't be said for Sanders and, even if you like him, we still need some depth behind him.

Chung instead of the anti-Maroney or Vaughn in the 4th. I won't be surprised or upset if they draft an RB . . . unless it means we don't get a safety.

Byrd would make a great safety, smart, great ball skills, great tackler, decent size. Not so fast in straight line.

There are so many ways to go it's hard to say, obviously.

They could take Beatty at 23 or Brown at 23.

I don't see them really going CB, as there are so many on the roster already.

Not sure if Matthews could play inside. Seems like the type who would, decent size, athleticism, smarts, willing to study tape, etc.

AntoinCD
04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I could see them going corner if Darius Butler or Alphonso Smith are there at 34. I really think the 2nd 2nd will be on a safety though because at least one of Delmas, Moore or Chung should be there

FlyingElvis
04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
1. Matthews - hopefully he can play inside
2a. Sintim - could play outside
2b. Wood - backup Koppen and play guard next year
2c. Shonn Greene - the anti-Maroney
3a. Fili Moala - could play DE or DT with pats
3b. Fenuki Tupou - guard could also play tackle
4. Jairus Byrd - could play safety, timed slow so will probably fall
5. Dillard / Quan Cosby - good WR production

D'OH !! Ok, I'm an idiot. I read through each one, but I guess I have Delmas/Moore on the brain.

I'd rather not worry about transitioning a guy, but with Byrd picked to play safety I could get behing this crop of rookies.

TNPatsFan
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Is this what you want to happen? Or what you think will actually happen?

I don't dislike any of the players but I'd be really surprised to see them wait until the 4th round to take a DB. I would also be very surprised to see them take LB's with both of the first two picks.

proshoota25
04-17-2009, 11:47 AM
im pretty sure matthews wouldnt be used inside

hannah73
04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Is this what you want to happen? Or what you think will actually happen?

I don't dislike any of the players but I'd be really surprised to see them wait until the 4th round to take a DB. I would also be very surprised to see them take LB's with both of the first two picks.

Kind of a possibility I'd like to see, I guess. Have no idea what they'd do.

Also I saw some clips of Maulauga...I had previously been down on him because of character concerns and his inability to take on blockers. I know clips are misleading but man, that guy is quick, and he hits like a missile. If you could train him to take on blockers, it'd be interesting. Definitely someone who likes contact...at least when dishing it out.

Still think Michael Johnson could make a great 3-4 OLB when someone teaches him how to set an edge.

Matthew Jones
04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Right now my best guess would be something like this:

1. OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
2. CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
2. FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama
2. OG Andy Levitre, Oregon State

That's just based on who it seems like the team is interested in. As a wacky mock draft, I guess this is a possibility too (although I hope it doesn't happen):

1. RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
2. WR Percy Harvin, Florida
2. OG Max Unger, Oregon
2. OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut

Really, this draft should be all about defense though if you ask me. I have really no big questions about the offense like I do about the defense.

ElectricEye
04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
im pretty sure matthews wouldnt be used inside

Putting Matthews inside would take away from his greatest strength, so no, he wouldn't be used inside. He could do it, but he would be much more valuable rushing the passing. If we draft Matthews in the first, which I hope we do, I don't think we take a guy like Sintim if we want to come away with an ILB in this draft because both of them are better off playing the edge.

proshoota25
04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Right now my best guess would be something like this:

1. OLB Connor Barwin, Cincinnati
2. CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
2. FS Rashad Johnson, Alabama
2. OG Andy Levitre, Oregon State

That's just based on who it seems like the team is interested in. As a wacky mock draft, I guess this is a possibility too (although I hope it doesn't happen):

1. RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
2. WR Percy Harvin, Florida
2. OG Max Unger, Oregon
2. OLB Cody Brown, Connecticut

Really, this draft should be all about defense though if you ask me. I have really no big questions about the offense like I do about the defense.

wow both those drafts are interesting ROP. The first set would greatly improve our defense. The second would give us an insane amount of talent on offense and would make our offense that much more potent. but i agree, defense needs to be addressed #1 without a doubt

proshoota25
04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
but for some reason, i have a feeling the patriots wont be looking corner within the first two rounds. i mean right now its a loaded position. you have bodden, springs, hobbs, and then TWO guys they think they can develop in wilhite and wheatley.... throw in a possible richardson sighting, there just isnt room to add another rookie guy to develop

AntoinCD
04-18-2009, 04:08 AM
I really think Darius Butler could be the selection at either 23 or 34. Yea Bodden and Springs are there but Springs is old and Bodden has a one year contract and if he plays like he can then his contract will be too big to keep, unless there's an uncapped year.

Im starting to hope for this draft

1. Everette Brown, OLB Florida Stae
2a. Trade for a 2010 1st
2b. William Moore
2c. Andy Levitre, OG Oregon St
3a. Jason Phillips, ILB TCU
3b. Mike Mickens, CB Cincinnati

Nalej
04-18-2009, 10:44 AM
If we're going to trade one of our 2 rds then I think we should trade away
our 47th selection instead of the 34th
I say that for the simple fact that I think we need to make sure we have a S.
The drafts are known to go crazy and I'd hate to get to 47 with Chung, Delmas, Moore and R. Johnson gone already.

AntoinCD
04-18-2009, 04:31 PM
If we're going to trade one of our 2 rds then I think we should trade away
our 47th selection instead of the 34th
I say that for the simple fact that I think we need to make sure we have a S.
The drafts are known to go crazy and I'd hate to get to 47 with Chung, Delmas, Moore and R. Johnson gone already.

Yeah that would be a pretty bad scenario but im not sure there would be teams who are willing to give a 2010 1st for the 47th. If there was a run on safeties say around the 35-45 range then it would only take the 3rd or possibly even a 4th to get above Miami, NYG and Houston