PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown to visit Detroit? Huh?

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Wednesday, March 7

Free agent RB Chris Brown is scheduled to go straight to Detroit after his visit with Buffalo today. Plus Tennessee is still interested him.
Interesting. Bell, Duckett... and now Brown?

They've got something in the works... it seems that Bell is on his way out (before he got in).

Pocket
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
They are obviously concerned about Kevin Jones' injury. The way they are going it seems they think he might never play again. God damn, let's just bring every RB that has ever lived into the office.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Apparently this report is false.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
They are obviously concerned about Kevin Jones' injury. The way they are going it seems they think he might never play again. God damn, let's just bring every RB that has ever lived into the office.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Apparently this report is false.*shrugs*... I think, at this point, either could be right.

Would be interesting...

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I think Brian Calhoun is still hurt too. Bell can't do it alone, and if KJ and Calhoun are not back, Bell will need some help because he is not exactly durable and able to handle all the carries.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I think Brian Calhoun is still hurt too. Bell can't do it alone, and if KJ and Calhoun are not back, Bell will need some help because he is not exactly durable and able to handle all the carries.True... true... true.

True.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Chris Brown IS coming... interesting...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Chris Brown is coming, but why?
Running back Chris Brown (Titans) is coming into town on Thursday for a visit, but the question is why? Could it be that the Lions are trying to trade Tatum Bell after all? Every indication I've had -- and still have -- is that the Lions don't want to trade Bell, but actions speak louder than words.

It is more likely, though, that the Lions are concerned about the knee injuries to Shawn Bryson and/or Brian Calhoun. While the Lions will talk glowingly about the rehab of Kevin Jones, they duck every question about the recovery of Bryson and Calhoun, just saying something to the effect of "They'll be fine, we expect them back.''

Yes, you expect them back, but when?

Bryson's injury was considered more serious at the time and if he's going to miss significant time at the start of camp or the season, then bringing in Brown makes more sense. The Lions don't want to get caught short at running back.

Again, every indication I have is that Jones is still doing well and they have no intention of trading Bell. Because T.J. Duckett is a short yardage guy, I still believe it's possible the Lions could have have an entirely new set of running backs (except Jones) to open the season. At this stage, I don't believe the signing of Duckett or Brown precludes the signing of the other at a later date.

Until we know for sure, though, the intrigue will continue.
"Maybe Next Year Millen2" basically summed it up: there are probably other injury concerns, and they don't want to struggle at the position.

Hmm... Chris Brown. If YOU (reader) had to choose 3 RBs to keep on the roster (from KJones, Duckett, CBrown, BCalhoun and SBryson), who would you choose?

I think i'd take Bell and Duckett and keep KJones to get healthy. Speed (Bell) and Power (Duckett) with all-around talent (KJones)... and great depth.

Mythos
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm almost thinking we're going to start the year with 3 running backs on the PUP list. I don't understand trading Bell at all. If the Bills can't seem to get a 3rd for McGahee, what could we possibly get for Bell?

detroit4life
03-07-2007, 06:28 PM
i said this in another thread but i read one of kowalskis blog a while ago rtalking about how they could try and put calhoun on the IR next year so he can continue to get healthy and not take up a roster spot. At this point calhoun has no place on this team with KJ and bell getting most of the carries. Duckett would finalize that if he came for short yardage situations. I dont see Brown really being a shot to sign here Bell is better than him so he would be no more then a 3rd string RB at best.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 06:34 PM
i said this in another thread but i read one of kowalskis blog a while ago rtalking about how they could try and put calhoun on the IR next year so he can continue to get healthy and not take up a roster spot. At this point calhoun has no place on this team with KJ and bell getting most of the carries. Duckett would finalize that if he came for short yardage situations. I dont see Brown really being a shot to sign here Bell is better than him so he would be no more then a 3rd string RB at best.Hmm... I like that approach. Keep Calhoun on the roster and let him prove himself... and run with Bell/Duckett/KJones. IF someone makes a good trade for Bell, trade him, sign Brown and have Brown/Duckett/Jones.

Jagonsucker
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
The Lions should keep Bell(speed), sign Brown(good combo of speed and power), keep Jones(starter), cut Calhoun(not strong enough to play in the NFL) and Bryson(getting old).

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
The Lions should keep Bell(speed), sign Brown(good combo of speed and power), keep Jones(starter), cut Calhoun(not strong enough to play in the NFL) and Bryson(getting old).Hmm... instead of having (speed) AND (good combo of speed and power), why not have Bell and Duckett... pure speed and pure power?

About Calhoun... I don't think you can count a player out because he "isn't strong enough". Many said that about Dunn, but he's proved them wrong. I think we keep Calhoun on IR for next year (as detroit4life said) to let him prove himself when he's 100%.

Pit Bull #53
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
One thing Chris Brown is great at is that he is a very very good pass protector on blitz pickups. Maybe that would fit well with Martz's system?

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 07:39 PM
One thing Chris Brown is great at is that he is a very very good pass protector on blitz pickups. Maybe that would fit well with Martz's system?That's definately a plus... Kitna wants all the protection that he can get.

Jagonsucker
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Hmm... instead of having (speed) AND (good combo of speed and power), why not have Bell and Duckett... pure speed and pure power?

About Calhoun... I don't think you can count a player out because he "isn't strong enough". Many said that about Dunn, but he's proved them wrong. I think we keep Calhoun on IR for next year (as detroit4life said) to let him prove himself when he's 100%.

Because Duckett isn't really that good. Chris Brown has both speed and power. And if we bring in Duckett, teams will know we want to pound the ball up the middle so they'll stack 8 in the box, where as if we bring in Brown, we can pound in the middle or toss it to the sides. He gives us more of an option than Duckett. And like the other guy said, he's a good blocker as well.

Pit Bull #53
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, I guess I should qualify that statement...he's good at it as long as he doesn't get injured in the process of doing it, lol. I (and most Titans fans) think his best role is as a #2 getting 5-10 carries per game to reduce his risk of being injured. He's pretty good on screen passes with his slashing style and ability to find creases, also.

Mythos
03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
One thing Chris Brown is great at is that he is a very very good pass protector on blitz pickups. Maybe that would fit well with Martz's system?

Martz's blitz system seems to be more about getting the back out of the backfield and upfield as quick as possible. They run a lot of tight circles just outside the tackles. I don't remember much max protect at all.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Because Duckett isn't really that good. Chris Brown has both speed and power. And if we bring in Duckett, teams will know we want to pound the ball up the middle so they'll stack 8 in the box, where as if we bring in Brown, we can pound in the middle or toss it to the sides. He gives us more of an option than Duckett. And like the other guy said, he's a good blocker as well.Great reasoning... i'm sold on it.

Mythos
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I think Brown is a talented player and a solid #1 when healthy, but I don't see the fit for the system. Anyone remember Martz's days with Stephen Jackson?

wingboy2999
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
This is getting ridiculous.... first we get a ton of WRs... now RBs.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 11:58 PM
This is getting ridiculous.... first we get a ton of WRs... now RBs.Hmm... which position is next? TE?

Addict
03-08-2007, 04:42 AM
Hmm... which position is next? TE?

that's a good thought. Since we have none at the moment.

Stockpiling TE's has been the patriots' trademark for years now, and look how they ended up. I like this idea, I really really do.

JoeMontainya
03-08-2007, 10:43 AM
How many teams is Brown going to visit before he signs?

TacticaLion
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
that's a good thought. Since we have none at the moment.

Stockpiling TE's has been the patriots' trademark for years now, and look how they ended up. I like this idea, I really really do.Haha... I like that formula for success.

The more TEs, the greater the chance of winning.

We should've pursued Johnson and Graham more than we did.

wingboy2999
03-08-2007, 11:29 PM
But does Martz really even use TEs? I don't think it is a huge deal.

TacticaLion
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
But does Martz really even use TEs? I don't think it is a huge deal.Not all that much... BUT, if we go off of the "Patriots formula for success", we'd have to spend all 5 5th round picks on TEs.

If we did that, we'd make the playoffs next year.

wingboy2999
04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
yeah... judging from the conversation here, and the mention of Chris Brown -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put 'euro club hits' into itunes or check this link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol +

S-T-F-U
G-T-F-O

Jagonsucker
04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah... judging from the conversation here, and the mention of Chris Brown -- I thought I'd pipe in and say that people are getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t..... and there is just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe -- it's pretty easy to find, just put 'euro club hits' into itunes or check this link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol +

bastard...

jbombul
04-17-2008, 04:51 PM
let me guess without even clicking on it, a rick roll?