PDA

View Full Version : My Pats Live Mock Draft Results

TNPatsFan
04-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Every year I act as the Pats GM for a live mock draft that we do on another site. It took nearly two weeks but we have just completed it. I thought I'd post the results here for your amusement.

It's a lot of work and can be at times both fun and frustrating. It really makes you realize how hard it is for the teams to get the best players they can with each pick. We had several key targets stolen from us when they were just a few picks away.

Bear in mind we try to use a team approach with any Pats fans on the site that wish to help, so all of these picks would not necessarily be what I personally would have taken. Also, having gone through it once I can say that I would have approached certain picks differently than I did, especially those first two rounds.

So anyway, here are the picks:
Round 1 #23 - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
All the USC backers were gone, Tyson Jackson almost fell to us. There were no defensive players here that we really liked whom we thought we couldn't also get at #34.

Round 2 #2 - Darius Butler, CB, UConn
We considered him in round 1 and were happy to see him still available.

Round 2 #15 - Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
We targeted S.Smith, W.Moore, Chung, and Delmas. The other three were chosen consecutively with the three picks ahead of us, narrowing our choice down to just Delmas.

Round 2 #26 - Cody Brown, LB, UConn
This was a tough pick. We weren't seeing a lot that we really liked and we would have preferred to take Brown later, but we weren't able to find a trading partner to move back.

Round 3 #25 - Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois
We wanted Pat White but he got taken 4 picks ahead of us. We almost went OL. We stole this guy from the Giants who really wanted him just 2 picks after us.

Round 3 comp pick - T.J. Lang, OG, Eastern Michigan
Since we weren't able to get a top OT or OG, we decided to take this sleeper OL who could probably play multiple positions on the line for the Pats.

Round 5 #2 - Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M
This pick was acquired by trading down out of the fourth round. I had the guy I really wanted (WR Derrick Williams from Penn State) stolen from me just a few picks before me in round 4 and didn't have anyone else I really wanted so I traded down and into early round 5. The pick itself is not really the guy I personally would have taken, but it was felt that this was a good spot to take a chance on a QB and McGee compares favorably to Cassel.

Round 5 comp pick - Bear Pascoe, TE, Fresno State
The mandatory Belichick TE pick

Round 6 #3 - Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson
This pick also acquired in the trade down from round 4

Round 6 #19 - Joe Burnett, CB, Central Florida
We ended up with 12 picks after that trade down, so we traded up 7 spots in round six, giving up our 7th rounder to get back to 11 totals picks. We also felt that Burnett was a great value pick worth trading up for.

Round 6 comp pick - Demonte Bolden, DT, Tennessee
We hadn't taken any DL's so we had to get one, and it can't hurt to go for another Tennessee guy and hope we strike gold again.

Overall not a bad draft I thought. I would have liked a do-over on a few of them but if this is how it went down I could live with it

proshoota25
04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
idk man if thats how our drafted unfolded id be pretty disappointed

cdf_2108
04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I like the Butler and Delmas picks, wouldn't hate it but would be dissapointed if we picked Moreno...just feel like RBs are a dime a dozen and just aren't worth first round picks unless your name is adrian peterson.

FlyingElvis
04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
The whole thing is rather uninspiring, but not upsetting. I really have a feeling that the pick at 23 may not be what any of us expect. Personally, I still think we trade up or else out of round 1.

That 47 pick is probably dead on with what the Pats may do - take whichever S falls there, just like you did.

TNPatsFan
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
The whole thing is rather uninspiring, but not upsetting. I really have a feeling that the pick at 23 may not be what any of us expect. Personally, I still think we trade up or else out of round 1.

That 47 pick is probably dead on with what the Pats may do - take whichever S falls there, just like you did.

Yeah I hear that. Uninspiring is probably a good word. I think it's a decent draft but after doing it once I have a better idea of how I'd approach each pick if I did it again, and I would certainly make some changes starting with that first pick. Some of the picks, while decent picks, would have been different if it was solely up to me, but we were trying to get a consensus among several people as well as using whatever insider information we could get as to who the Patriots like and don't like and what they might actually do.

We did actually seriously consider trading up to 14 to nab Malcolm Jenkins, but didn't have time to get that done (each team had 10 minutes to pick in this mock).

FlyingElvis
04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
The top 3 picks make it a good draft regardless of personal opinions (or man-crushes.)

Those 3 are arguably the #1 S prospect, #1 RB prospect and #1 CB prospect.

Were all of the pass rush/olb prospects gone at 23 - including guys like English, Maybin (don't really like him), and even Barwin? It just seems like we'll all be 'uninspired' unless there's a pass rusher drafted early.

TNPatsFan
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
The top 3 picks make it a good draft regardless of personal opinions (or man-crushes.)

Those 3 are arguably the #1 S prospect, #1 RB prospect and #1 CB prospect.

Were all of the pass rush/olb prospects gone at 23 - including guys like English, Maybin (don't really like him), and even Barwin? It just seems like we'll all be 'uninspired' unless there's a pass rusher drafted early.

I think you're right about that. We all want that pass rusher. Maybin was gone. English was not. We thought we could get him at 34, and in fact he was still available at 34 but the popular pick among the board was Butler over English. We did put ourselves in a bind, though, because we had the ammo to move up from 47 to still get English (I think he went at 39 or something like that) but then we would not have been able to get our safety and we felt that was more important.

Barwin went right at the end of round 1 (Titans I think). Most of us did not like Barwin as a first round pick so we did not consider him at 23.

FlyingElvis
04-21-2009, 09:39 AM
^Gotcha. Barwin @ 23 seems too high to me as well.

So there's a good chance that English at 34 makes us all happier and frees up either 58 or the 4th rounder to cover another position.

AntoinCD
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't be overly thrilled at taking Moreno at 23 but wouldn't be annoyed either. If it fell like that it would be disappointing not to get more of an accomplished pass rusher but I like Butler and Delmas although i'm currently starting to sway the way of William Moore instead now. Quick question, what WRs where available at 23?

FlyingElvis
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Nevermind . . . just realized I'm an idiot. lol

TNPatsFan
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't be overly thrilled at taking Moreno at 23 but wouldn't be annoyed either. If it fell like that it would be disappointing not to get more of an accomplished pass rusher but I like Butler and Delmas although i'm currently starting to sway the way of William Moore instead now. Quick question, what WRs where available at 23?

All the WR's except Crabtree and Maclin were still on the board. We had a glimmer of hope of taking Maclin until he was taken by the Jets at 17.

Matthew Jones
04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Not my favorite draft but not terrible either. Great effort!

Nalej
04-21-2009, 02:46 PM
The whole thing is rather uninspiring, but not upsetting.

Basically..........

Thunder&Lightning
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I pray they dont draft Moreno in the first round