PDA

View Full Version : Yugioh Cards vs. Pokemon Cards, which one?

PACKmanN
04-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Everyone in my generation had these cards, and played the card games during their childhood. Which one was the better game, Pokemon or Yugioh?

iowatreat54
04-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Pokemon, easily. I never even heard of Yugioh until like last year.

WMD
04-18-2009, 03:43 AM
My generation had Magic: The Gathering cards!

BRAVEHEART
04-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Pokemon, gotta catch em all.

Yatta!
04-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Pokemon by a long long way. Yugioh was never that big over here.

Gay Ork Wang
04-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Magic Cards!!!!!

Caddy
04-18-2009, 04:17 AM
I can't believe this is even a debate.

Charizard FTW!!

j05son
04-18-2009, 04:44 AM
I'm not a big anime guy at all, but I loved the pokemon series when I was younger. I never got into the cards but I liked the games and have been playing Platinum on a DS emulator and it's been pretty sweet. It's the first time I've played pokemon since Yellow on the GameBoy Color. =]

However, I use to play yu-gi-oh with the the neighbor boy up the street. I never owned any cards but he taught me how to play and I played it a couple times, and it was fun.

farfromforgotten
04-18-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm in with the Magic: the Gathering generation.

fenikz
04-18-2009, 06:47 AM
http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/6562/images/scyther.jpg

Matthew Jones
04-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Definitely Pokemon. I used to be obsessed with those.

Go_Eagles77
04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Pokemon, but I was more of a collector/trader than a battler.

etk
04-18-2009, 09:11 AM
r u dumb? pokemanz....there is no contest.

BamaFalcon59
04-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Pokemon for collecting, Yu Gi Oh for playing.

CJSchneider
04-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Never played either but collected a few of both. I stayed away from them and collected sports. My 5th grade daughter says Pokemon is better though.

Gay Ork Wang
04-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Magic for collecting, Magic for playing.
fixed it for you

aNYtitan
04-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Pokemon for collecting, Yu Gi Oh for playing.

Completely agree. The pokemon cards were just fun to collect but I never saw anyone playing with them, well like the rules intended (with the stupid energy cards). Yu-Gi-Oh was easy to just start up with a starter deck and build upon that.

awfullyquiet
04-18-2009, 09:58 AM
fixed it for you

i still play mtg on occasion.

but only because i'm better than you. :P

if anyone has an mtgo account, gimme a few months, when i get back in the states, i'll have time to put together a deck to crushz you.

Gay Ork Wang
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
i bet u ur not! i was crazy about it, i still have a deck that kills in 4 turns!

fischbowl
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
http://nimster.com/gallery/albums/angels/1995/1995_topps_12.jpg

I never collected either because I was too much of a baseball card nerd. Pictured is 1995 Topps Series which kind of started my obsession

JRTPlaya21
04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Pokemon. I stopped at the first 151.

CT Bronco Fan
04-18-2009, 10:17 AM

My Blue/Red Counter/Burn deck would own you.

Beans
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
pokemon is awesome of course but i have a sick magic deck

awfullyquiet
04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
i bet u ur not! i was crazy about it, i still have a deck that kills in 4 turns!

kills 100% of the time in 4? or it CAN kill in 4... that's a big difference, i have a scepter chant u/w deck... if you're unfamil...

Isochron Scepter
Artifact, 2 (2)
Imprint - When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.)
{2}, {T}: You may copy the imprinted instant card. If you do, you may play the copy without paying its mana cost.1

Orim's Chant
Instant, W (1)
Kicker {W} (You may pay an additional {W} as you play this spell.)
Target player can't play spells this turn.
If the kicker cost was paid, creatures can't attack this turn.1

combine the two, unlimited orim's chants... a few counterspells, a few mana leaks... a few morphlings... pretty much awesome.

My Blue/Red Counter/Burn deck would own you.

Counter Burn is so passe these days... i mean, a pure red burn deck > blue/red counter...

Addict
04-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Pokemon. I stopped at the first 151.

I quit when #250 came by. After that I just stopped caring. I played the games like crazy though.

I'll take pokémon cards because you could actually play with them without needing to spend three weeks in boot camp to figure out how it worked (which was the problem with Yigioh IIRC)

comahan
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I quit when #250 came by. After that I just stopped caring. I played the games like crazy though.

I'll take pokémon cards because you could actually play with them without needing to spend three weeks in boot camp to figure out how it worked (which was the problem with Yigioh IIRC)

Yugioh was super easy~

Malaka
04-18-2009, 11:23 AM
I think popularity wise, TV show, video games etc. Pokemon wins easily.

But I think the actual card game its self, Yu-gioh was better, it was more fun for me, I guess, made more sense with like the attack power and trap cards w/e.

Thumper
04-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Pokemon had the better storyline but Yugi Oh was IMO more fun to play (in terms of cards). Those Pokemon gameboy games were fun and I still bust them out on occasion (very rare occasion).

Addict
04-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Yugioh was super easy~

Could be. There were so many card games in those days I lose track which were impossible to play and which were pretty good. I wasn't too crazy about Yugioh on tv, so the card game wasn't on my radar.

HChu
04-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh was much simpler and more fun to play (because who the **** uses energy cards and weird marble thingamajigs?), but Pokemon looked cooler and were just more fun to collect. (Although if we're talking about the shows, Yu-Gi-Oh was much more appealing than Pokemon).

Malaka
04-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh was much simpler and more fun to play (because who the **** uses energy cards and weird marble thingamajigs?), but Pokemon looked cooler and were just more fun to collect. (Although if we're talking about the shows, Yu-Gi-Oh was much more appealing than Pokemon).

Nah, Yu-Gi-Oh on TV was really wack.

I mean those puzzle pieces, or lost pieces whatever the **** they were. Exodia? That storyline was stupid as hell, and I also think Joey and Yugi were gay for one another, the characters sucked bawls.

Draft King
04-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Pokemon show/games.

Gay Ork Wang
04-18-2009, 11:51 AM
kills 100% of the time in 4? or it CAN kill in 4... that's a big difference, i have a scepter chant u/w deck... if you're unfamil...

Isochron Scepter
Artifact, 2 (2)
Imprint - When Isochron Scepter comes into play, you may remove an instant card with converted mana cost 2 or less in your hand from the game. (The removed card is imprinted on this artifact.)
{2}, {T}: You may copy the imprinted instant card. If you do, you may play the copy without paying its mana cost.1

Orim's Chant
Instant, W (1)
Kicker {W} (You may pay an additional {W} as you play this spell.)
Target player can't play spells this turn.
If the kicker cost was paid, creatures can't attack this turn.1

combine the two, unlimited orim's chants... a few counterspells, a few mana leaks... a few morphlings... pretty much awesome.

Counter Burn is so passe these days... i mean, a pure red burn deck > blue/red counter...
its a peebles and it usually kills turn 4

awfullyquiet
04-18-2009, 12:02 PM
its a peebles and it usually kills turn 4

if you can't pillage by turn 3 its gg. and that's IF you main deck it.

RDW is probably one of my better uw control matchups...

edit: magic nerds are much more aggressive on their style of play over yugioh... you'll find crafters of a much greater intellect and theory.

gameplaya2435
04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
How much better is Pokemon than Yugioh?

OVER 9000!!!!

TitanHope
04-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm cleaning out my bedroom, and have my old Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Transformers/Beast Wars, and other toys out. One of my buddies comes in, and sees everything. He immediately goes, "Dude! No wai!!!" and he starts looking through my Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

So I'm voting Yu-Gi-Oh on Cory's behalf. :D

CashmoneyDrew
04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Hmmmm..... I guess I was the only one that actually played the Pokemon card game how it was meant to be played then?
And I must fail at life because I never got a charizard holo. :(
It's not fair, my friend I introduced to pokemon in the 6th grade got one in his first booster pack. :P

Anyways, I reckon from all the money I spent on Ninja Turtles, GI Joe, Power Rangers, Pokemon merchandise, etc..... I could have a sweet ass car or something right now.

nrk
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Right here. Magic was the ****.

j05son
04-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Anyone play the pokemon games on the DS? It's surprisingly fun. I've been playing Platinum on an emulator along with the ace attorney series and now I think I'm going to get a DSI.

VoteLynnSwan
04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
anyone else have Star Wars cards? those were sweet. I had pokemon too... what a waste of money all those stupid cards were. Someone got rich from that.

Hurricanes25
04-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Pokemon cards and its not even close. They were the **** back in the day.

Kase1
04-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I can't believe this is even a debate.

Charizard FTW!!

I know, they're all wack..... Go out and play sports, LOL

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I never got into any of the trading cards. I had some Pokemon cards, but I was like 9 and my parents made me pay for them, but I was jobless so...

The pokemon games were sick though. I got all 150 on Pokemon Blue.

nrk
04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone play the pokemon games on the DS? It's surprisingly fun. I've been playing Platinum on an emulator along with the ace attorney series and now I think I'm going to get a DSI.

I have Pearl for my DS. There are some crazy ass kids who will kick your ass. With the whole breeding and natures, it's got a lot more depth.

All this talk about Magic makes me want to play but I haven't played since like 5th or 6th grade. 8 years or so I guess that'd be? Jeeze.

awfullyquiet
04-20-2009, 10:08 AM
All this talk about Magic makes me want to play but I haven't played since like 5th or 6th grade. 8 years or so I guess that'd be? Jeeze.

the game has changed tons.

type 2 (or standard), is the de jure game these days, the cheapest to get into if you don't have all your old cards...

if you do have your old cards, there's always extended, which is pretty much open from ice-age on...

Gay Ork Wang
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
i hate T2. its so boring :(

awfullyquiet
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
i hate T2. its so boring :(

it could be worse... t2 really relies more on an intricacy of meta-game awareness and the quality of play...

i loved the kamigawa-ravinca block. it was something awesome. played heartbeat combo ftw....

j05son
04-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I have Pearl for my DS. There are some crazy ass kids who will kick your ass. With the whole breeding and natures, it's got a lot more depth.

=]

I know all about the natures though. Like I restarted the emulator until I had a naive nature Chimchar so his speed would increase and none of his atk or satk would decrase. I also caught like a dozen Magikarp until I found one adamant nature as that is +atk and -satk and Gyarados is a huge physical attacker. Coming from Yellow to Platinum, I think I have the basics down, natures are easy to understand, boring to keep catching pokemon until you get that one nature you need. I haven't breeded yet, so I guess that's what I'll have to pick up next.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 11:10 AM
it could be worse... t2 really relies more on an intricacy of meta-game awareness and the quality of play...

i loved the kamigawa-ravinca block. it was something awesome. played heartbeat combo ftw....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Xq1_QVuOUV4/SWDbSmTeQcI/AAAAAAAADQk/KSMNRqF07V0/s320/DoYouSpeakEnglish.gif

Gay Ork Wang
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM

i really stopped playing after the Mirrodin block, i hated the Kawigama block

vatech=accdomination
04-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Pokemon, no doubt, red and blue ftw.

JT Jag
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Magic: The Gathering is where it's at, dawg.

the decider13
04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Pokemon, no doubt, red and blue ftw.

This should be the end of the thread right here

Grizzlegom
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
i really stopped playing after the Mirrodin block, i hated the Kawigama block

that's when i stopped playing too and for the exact same reason, kamigawa and everything since has sucked. I especially hate how they remade legend cards in 10th edition. Kamahl was badass and all but there is a story that goes with the legends most of the time that means u shouldn't be remaking them.

as for pokemon vs yugioh, both were very good card games and were very different in their gameplay. I loved both of them but pokemon got ridiculous after the 151 and Yu-Gi-Oh got ridiculous after the God cards came out but i think i enjoyed YuGiOh more because there was a lot more combinations of decks that could be made where magic and pokemon if u made more than 2 colors, it would be stretched thin.

farfromforgotten
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM

I was always a very aggressive player, I hated counter magic. I think the last deck I had was Machine Head (Black and Red) w/ Blazing Spectres, Duress', Voids, etc. I did play with a Blue/White/Black counter deck for awhile that used the Nether Fiend? I cant remember what it was called. That deck would piss people off.

My all time favorite deck was my re-animator deck that, if I drew the cards just right, could pull a 1st turn Nicol Bolas. I did that probably a hand full of times. So fun.

I cant really remember the last set I played during was. Its been a long time.

NOLA
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
better card game: Pokemon

better tv show: Yu-Gi-Oh

awfullyquiet
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
that's when i stopped playing too and for the exact same reason, kamigawa and everything since has sucked. I especially hate how they remade legend cards in 10th edition. Kamahl was badass and all but there is a story that goes with the legends most of the time that means u shouldn't be remaking them.

it's like chess. screw the storyline and play the damn game.

each gray block (y'know, 9th edition, 10th edition, m10, et al.) all end up throwing in throwback cards that each block leaves out in what it's missing... mirrodin was ridiculous though, i will admit to that, ravager just destroyed everything, RDW couldn't keep up with a turn 3 ravager, affinity, i draw my whole deck, sack it all to ravager, make it unblockable... in response to your attack i scoop.

pretty much sums up my experience in mirrodin there... it could have been cool. but the fact that pithing needle is still the death of me drives me nuts... i will let you know in extended... all i do is play tron...

niel89
04-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I may be the biggest fan of pokemon on this sight. I used to collect the cards and play the video games a ton. I had a full collection of the base, jungle and fossil sets. I stopped really following after fossil. I used to enter into a bunch of the tournaments at the local card shops around town and I won a good amount of them. My strongest deck was a haymaker deck with scyther, electabuzz, mewtwo (not the base set one) and magmar or hitmonchan. I even almost won a regional tournament but I got violently ill and I forfeited. I used to make tons of different decks but my favorite was a venusaur/alakazam deck that i could clear my damage easily with a pokemon center.

Ive played almost everyone of the video games, but red and blue are still by far my favorite ones. There's just something special and nostalgic about them. The new ones are still very fun and are great to play but some people take it too seriously online. They must spend way too long trying to get the best stats possible. Also its so damn hard to really catch them all with there being 493 pokemon now and a ton of those that were promotional ones. With out cheats it would take so long.

http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/lab/6562/images/scyther.jpg

No retreat cost = epic win

JRTPlaya21
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I had Pokemon red and had a good 100 plus. Then I somehow erased my save. I'm still pissed about that lol. Then on Pokemon pinball, I was about to catch like Scyther but my friend wouldn't let me play. Ended up losing him in the end.

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I think I came through just as Pokemon was peaking (had Red, Yellow and Gold) and jsut as Yugioh was getting started up.

So needless to say, both of my decks of cards are still floating around my parents basement somewhere......

My most proud-of Pokemon card was def. my holographic Venusaur. I bet that was worth some chink back in the day......

WMD
04-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I never checked this thread after I made my post about Magic.. I used to play but had no idea what the hell I was doing. I mainly just got erect by the artwork on the cards. I also bought a few of the "Unglued" series.

Not sure where my cards are these days though.

The Unseen
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I collected some Pokemon cards but never played with them. I remember thinking (as did my friends) that Yu-Gi-Oh was a ripoff impersonator of Pokemon and totally ******* lame (that's right *****, 2nd graders droppin the f-bomb...what of it *****?)

CJSchneider
04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.imglols.com/wp-content/main/2009_04/the-victim-was-lured-with-pokeman-cards.jpg

bantx
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
i was one of those kids that used to go to the mall to play pokemon with other kids, fun times.

ElectricEye
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm in the Magic camp here. I played all throughout my childhood and still luck into a game every now and again. I've bought a bit of the new cards as well and it's still just as good as we all remember it. Really the game to play as far as card games go.

BeerBaron
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
i was one of those kids that used to go to the mall to play pokemon with other kids, fun times.

I never went to the mall or anything like that, but I'd meet up with some friends walking home from school and trade cards or play the games over link cables....haha, good times.

Next time i'm home, I'm kind of tempted to try and find some of these things.

nrk
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I collected some Pokemon cards but never played with them. I remember thinking (as did my friends) that Yu-Gi-Oh was a ripoff impersonator of Pokemon and totally ******* lame (that's right *****, 2nd graders droppin the f-bomb...what of it *****?)

How old are you? Yu Gi Oh cards didn't come till quite a bit later I thought.