PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a good education?

iowatreat54
04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Playboy's top party schools

http://www.playboy.com/articles/top-party-schools-2009-top-10/index.html

Woooo #9!

and Magic Bus is indeed the greatest tailgate ever.

Malaka
04-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I am most definitely going to UM or UF :D.

Addict
04-18-2009, 11:32 AM
wait, I read the first phrase and realized they have a Bikini Index scoring system. That rocks.

Matthew Jones
04-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't mind going to Miami or UF if I ever go back to college.

j05son
04-18-2009, 01:02 PM
OU at number 18 is way to low.

CJSchneider
04-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I've partied at #8, although I didn't attend there.

The_Dude
04-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I think that UW Madison should get a higher ranking just due to the fact that the outdoor partying/scantly-clad women only show up for the warm summer months.... they party it up during a shorter amount of time of good weather.

Maybe its just the homer in me that thinks that way.

Hurricanes25
04-18-2009, 04:22 PM
It's all about the U.

Shane P. Hallam
04-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Education. That's why we American Football

JHG722
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Penn State not in the top 10 is a joke. They're a bunch of alcoholics.

Shane P. Hallam
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Penn State not in the top 10 is a joke. They're a bunch of alcoholics.

I've been to both, trust me, PSU doesn't even touch WVU, lol.

bored of education
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Yeah WVU is a drinking school for sure. They don't eff around!

JHG722
04-18-2009, 04:51 PM

I know that, but at least they get an actual education at PSU. WVU is there so dumb slutty chicks can have their parents pay out of state tuition for them to get drunk for 6 years.

Shane P. Hallam
04-18-2009, 04:55 PM
I know that, but at least they get an actual education at PSU. WVU is there so dumb slutty chicks can have their parents pay out of state tuition for them to get drunk for 6 years.

I don't think the intent for the list is who actually gets the best education ;)

critesy
04-18-2009, 04:56 PM

i dont see whats wrong here.

The Unseen
04-18-2009, 05:09 PM
wooooooo #4

proshoota25
04-18-2009, 05:21 PM
they should nominate plymouth state :) we were #8 on that list a few years ago.....

Sniper
04-18-2009, 05:23 PM
i dont see whats wrong here.

Me neither. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Smokey Joe
04-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Hopefully I get a scholarship to one of those 10 in 1-2 years! Unlikely, but I can hope.

the decider13
04-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Sadly, there is no such think as a bikini index in oklahoma. ****

etk
04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I feel like calling this a championship and strutting around like that Bama homer that keeps talking about his 2 straight recruiting championships.

Hollywood
04-18-2009, 05:56 PM
The list is pretty bogus, Miami should not be #1. FSU, UF, FAMU, FIU, USF, UCF all those campuses have better college party type atmospheres. Yes the city of Miami is a party city, but not the college.

It is an extremely expensive private school with a heavy emphasis on medical studies, not much partying going on with the students there.

Malaka
04-18-2009, 06:00 PM
The list is pretty bogus, Miami should not be #1. FSU, UF, FAMU, FIU, USF, UCF all those campuses have better college party type atmospheres. Yes the city of Miami is a party city, but not the college.

It is an extremely expensive private school with a heavy emphasis on medical studies, not much partying going on with the students there.

That's what I think too, other than the girls in bikini's all over campus, FSU or UF, are really more party hard schools. Especially the fraternities at FSU those are crazy, I cannot pass judgement on those in UF never went there, but FSU was really crazy.

RaiderNation
04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
If Chico State would have a football team they would be way higher

diabsoule
04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
We're #8! We're #8! We're #8!

fischbowl
04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
If the list was based on all D-1 schools, I guess this is accurate. Although WVU is no doubt #1 on everybody list

JHG722
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Especially the fraternities at FSU those are crazy, I cannot pass judgement on those in UF never went there, but FSU was really crazy.

I thought you were 14 or something?

Malaka
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM

Yeah and?.... My friend's sister went up to FSU I went with her, she's 18 and looking for a college to go to.

JLaw45
04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
UAlbany at #25 doesn't surprise me at all. That's just about all that school is really truly good for-partying. I found a list that put them at #10 a while ago though.

MetSox17
04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah and?.... My friend's sister went up to FSU I went with her, she's 18 and looking for a college to go to.

Fo sho, i kick it with 14 year olds at my parties too.

UT #2, no surprise there. They actually did a legit research a few years ago, i remember seeing it in the newspaper, UT-Austin was #1, LSU and the Florida schools were up there as well.

SuperKevin
04-18-2009, 10:35 PM

Yeah but he goes clubbing so it's all cool.

Hollywood
04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
lol is Malaka really 14? That's pretty damn funny, I remember even having a conversation with him about how much he likes Mansion and all the clubs on South Beach. Come on dude, there ain't 14 year old males getting into the clubs on south beach unless your dad was Gianni Versace himself, and well...if you understand the birds and the bees by now you'd know that ain't possible.

etk
04-18-2009, 10:51 PM
I can totally see Malaka pulling up to the club in a pimp vest with a Hawaii driver's license.

JHG722
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM

I can honestly say I've never seen a 14 year old kid at a frat party.

lol is Malaka really 14? That's pretty damn funny, I remember even having a conversation with him about how much he likes Mansion and all the clubs on South Beach. Come on dude, there ain't 14 year old males getting into the clubs on south beach unless your dad was Gianni Versace himself, and well...if you understand the birds and the bees by now you'd know that ain't possible.

Yeah, the douchebag bouncers in Miami definitely wont let in a 14 year old unless you show them a few Benjamins.

Malaka
04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
W/e I just want you all to remember you guys always bring this **** up... I never ever brought it up again, if I know about something that I "can't" do because I am young, I never ever bring this up, but I have experienced this stuff, and if what I say makes no sense then so be it, but I know I am not talking **** out of my ass.

Hollywood
04-19-2009, 10:57 AM
but I know I am not talking **** out of my ass.

You're not talking truth out of your ass? I agree. I just want to know the story if how you got into mansion. You have to be Hannah Montana level famous to get into Mansion as a 16 year old, but yet you are really a 14 year old guy? I didn't know that, hence why I brought it up. I just want to know the story (you are claiming)...

andyjo672
04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I'll take #6. Out of that list, the only two that can even be considered good schools are UT Austin and UW Madison. Madison being ranked in the top ten publics, and UT very difficult to get into. Iowa is ok as well. The SEC, with the big exception of Vanderbilt, shouldn't really have any accredited schools, they're all a joke.

yourfavestoner
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
I miss San Diego State....

Hollywood
04-19-2009, 01:59 PM
The SEC, with the big exception of Vanderbilt, shouldn't really have any accredited schools, they're all a joke.

Do some research before you comment on something like you know it for a fact.

JHG722
04-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Yeah, that's absurd. All of the SEC schools are fine schools, with Vandy, UF and UGA at the top. Ole Miss has one of the top honors programs in the country.

TheBuffaloBills
04-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Malaka, aren't you 7 foot 3?

andyjo672
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Take a look at US News and World Report rankings if you dont believe me. The public schools for the Big Ten are all in the top 30 publics. Only Georgia and Florida are in the top 30 for the SEC, and they're both 17 and 19. So before calling me out, why dont you do the research first. And before no, being the 76th best Public University is not good, so have fun LSU and the other bottom rung schools like Arkansas, Kentucky, and South Carolina.

University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA Rank
University of Virginia Charlottesville, VA Rank
University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA Rank
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI Rank
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, NC Rank
College of William and Mary Williamsburg, VA Rank
Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA Rank
University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI Rank
University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA Rank
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign Champaign, IL Rank
University of Washington Seattle, WA Rank
University of California--Davis Davis, CA Rank
University of California--Santa Barbara Santa Barbara, CA Rank
University of California--Irvine Irvine, CA Rank
University of Texas--Austin Austin, TX Rank
Pennsylvania State University--University Park University Park, PA Rank
University of Florida Gainesville, FL Rank
University of Maryland--College Park College Park, MD Rank
Ohio State University--Columbus Columbus, OH Rank
University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA Rank
University of Georgia Athens, GA Rank
University of Minnesota--Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN Rank
Clemson University Clemson, SC Rank
Texas A&M University--College Station College Station, TX Rank
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick Piscataway, NJ Rank
Miami University--Oxford Oxford, OH Rank
Purdue University--West Lafayette West Lafayette, IN Rank
University of Iowa Iowa City, IA Rank
University of Connecticut Storrs, CT Rank
Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA Rank
Michigan State University East Lansing, MI Rank
University of Delaware Newark, DE Rank
Indiana University--Bloomington Bloomington, IN Rank
University of Colorado--Boulder Boulder, CO Rank
SUNY--Binghamton Binghamton, NY Rank
Colorado School of Mines Golden, CO Rank
North Carolina State University--Raleigh Raleigh, NC Rank
University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL Rank
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Syracuse, NY Rank
Iowa State University Ames, IA Rank
University of Kansas Lawrence, KS Rank
University of Nebraska--Lincoln Lincoln, NE Rank
University of California--Riverside Riverside, CA Rank
University of Vermont Burlington, VT Rank
University of Arizona Tucson, AZ Rank
Auburn University Auburn University, AL Rank
SUNY--Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY Rank
University of Missouri--Columbia Columbia, MO Rank
University of California--Santa Cruz Santa Cruz, CA Rank
University of Massachusetts--Amherst Amherst, MA Rank
Florida State University Tallahassee, FL Rank
University of Tennessee Knoxville, TN Rank
University of Oklahoma Norman, OK Rank
University of South Carolina--Columbia Columbia, SC Rank
University of Oregon Eugene, OR Rank
University of New Hampshire Durham, NH Rank
Washington State University Pullman, WA Rank
University of Kentucky Lexington, KY Rank
Ohio University Athens, OH Rank
Arizona State University Tempe, AZ Rank
University at Buffalo--SUNY Buffalo, NY Rank
Michigan Technological University Houghton, MI Rank
Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO Rank
University of Arkansas Fayetteville, AR Rank
University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT Rank
New Jersey Institute of Technology Newark, NJ Rank
Kansas State University Manhattan, KS Rank
Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge Baton Rouge, LA Rank

andyjo672
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, that's absurd. All of the SEC schools are fine schools, with Vandy, UF and UGA at the top. Ole Miss has one of the top honors programs in the country.

See above please. Thanks!

Hollywood
04-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey goofball, when you say ALL SEC schools are jokes except Vandy, would that not include Florida and Georgia?

JHG722
04-19-2009, 02:51 PM
See above please. Thanks!

I love elitists like you; there are approximately 2,400 colleges and universities in the U.S. being in the top 200 or 300 still puts you at the top. There is nothing 'bottom rung' about the schools you mentioned. The only thing 'bottom rung' is your holier-than-thou attitude towards schools in the south.

iowatreat54
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, while it's accepted that the Big XI is the best "big conference" in terms of academics, it's not like the other conferences are not worth getting an education from. Sure, comparatively they suck, but they are still good schools and provide a good education.

That's not even mentioning that where the Big XI really separates themselves is in post graduate academia.

kwilk103
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
that list sucks

maybe they're taking downtown miami into account?

JHG722
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes, while it's accepted that the Big XI is the best "big conference" in terms of academics, it's not like the other conferences are not worth getting an education from. Sure, comparatively they suck, but they are still good schools and provide a good education.

That's not even mentioning that where the Big XI really separates themselves is in post graduate academia.

If you go by the silly US News rankings, the ACC is tops.

Shahin
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
i'd crack up if i saw a 14 year old kid at a party nowadays.

iowatreat54
04-19-2009, 03:08 PM
If you go by the silly US News rankings, the ACC is tops.

Really? Because all ACC schools are in the top 30, just like the Big XI? Did you look at the rankings...I count 7 ACC and all 10 Big XI.

SuperKevin
04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Really? Because all ACC schools are in the top 30, just like the Big XI? Did you look at the rankings...I count 7 ACC and all 10 Big XI.

Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College are all private though

JHG722
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I never said anything about public only.

iowatreat54
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Ok, well 10/11 is still greater than 7/9. Throw in Northwestern being better than 2/3 of those, and I'm pretty sure the Big XI is considered tops academically, especially given the post graduate programs.

TimD
04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Penn State got shafted. I guess the weather being like 10 degrees for 3 months a year hurts us.

Brent
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
That party the dude described for UT, that is probably one of the larger frat's parties. I have been to one of those, it's douchebag central.

Xonraider
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought Loyola at NO was a very good party school

JHG722
04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm waiting for the elitist dbag to come back...

yourfavestoner
04-19-2009, 03:38 PM
That party the dude described for UT, that is probably one of the larger frat's parties. I have been to one of those, it's douchebag central.

As most fraternities are. It's never good sign of your social acumen when you've got to pay stupid amounts of money to make friends and meet girls.

iowatreat54
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
As most fraternities are. It's never good sign of your social acumen when you've got to pay stupid amounts of money to make friends and meet girls.

Yes, I am not a fan of schools that have their social scenes centered around the greek system. Which is why I love Iowa, and have heard that Madison is a perfect balance between greek and non-greek influence.

andyjo672
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey goofball, when you say ALL SEC schools are jokes except Vandy, would that not include Florida and Georgia?

Hey,

I don't think having the highest ranked public at #15 is very good, sorry. And if you want to include all schools we can go head to head. The SEC is laughed at by everyone outside of the south as being schools that care more about football and care very little about academics.

Northwestern>Vanderbilt
Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State>Florida
Ohio State>Georgia
Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, Indiana>Alabama

So based purely on the non-biased rankings, every single Big Ten school is ranked ahead of the top 4 in the SEC. I'd say thats a landslide. But again, I've provided rankings, you've done nothing but call names and claiming I need to "research."

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes, I am not a fan of schools that have their social scenes centered around the greek system
OU has become that way. Luckily, here, most guys aren't in frats and if they are, well, they're undoubtedly douchebags. What's funny is how often they all dress the same. Once, I was at a bar and there were like three of them all wearing light khaki shorts and near-identical button-up light blue shirts. And of course their obligatory Polo hat.

JHG722
04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey,

I don't think having the highest ranked public at #15 is very good, sorry. And if you want to include all schools we can go head to head. The SEC is laughed at by everyone outside of the south as being schools that care more about football and care very little about academics.

Northwestern>Vanderbilt
Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State>Florida
Ohio State>Georgia
Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, Michigan State, Indiana>Alabama

So based purely on the non-biased rankings, every single Big Ten school is ranked ahead of the top 4 in the SEC. I'd say thats a landslide. But again, I've provided rankings, you've done nothing but call names and claiming I need to "research."

That doesn't mean the SEC schools are bad schools...

locseti
04-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Chico State needs to be way higher.

awfullyquiet
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
but I know I am not talking **** out of my ass.

pics or it didn't happen.

i said it.

Malaka
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
pics or it didn't happen.

i said it.

Add me on facebook, Philip Lolis.

andyjo672
04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
That doesn't mean the SEC schools are bad schools...

I beg to differ. When i see several SEC schools below Arizona State (a major state school with an UNaccredited English Program, which proves its worth as a university) I would say they're bad schools. You or one of your friends cited the fact that there are thousands of schools in the nation and thus somehow that makes your ranking good? That doesn't exactly follow as the rankings above only take into account Public Universities (those offering degrees through doctoral) and thus would discount those large numbers that were given. Therefore, anything outside of the Top 50 Public Universities could be construed as weak. If you want to have a discussion, provide some proof that they're legitimate schools. And try to do so without referring to me as "dbag" as your main piece of evidence. After all of this, I'm beginning to think you probably go to one of these "schools."

Brent
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Chico State needs to be NUMBER ONE
Had to fix that for you. Being a former resident of Redding, CA, I am aware of the craziness that is Chico State.

brat316
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I wonder how WVU got 13 for brains?

Edit: Then again its given a perfect 20, for Sex.

JHG722
04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I beg to differ. When i see several SEC schools below Arizona State (a major state school with an UNaccredited English Program, which proves its worth as a university) I would say they're bad schools. You or one of your friends cited the fact that there are thousands of schools in the nation and thus somehow that makes your ranking good? That doesn't exactly follow as the rankings above only take into account Public Universities (those offering degrees through doctoral) and thus would discount those large numbers that were given. Therefore, anything outside of the Top 50 Public Universities could be construed as weak. If you want to have a discussion, provide some proof that they're legitimate schools. And try to do so without referring to me as "dbag" as your main piece of evidence. After all of this, I'm beginning to think you probably go to one of these "schools."

I go to Temple University, if that were not obvious enough. I'd love to hear your elitist take on my school.

andyjo672
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I go to Temple University, if that were not obvious enough. I'd love to hear your elitist take on my school.

How is my view "elisist?" I'm saying the schools aren't good based upon the rankings provided to me.

JHG722
04-20-2009, 08:40 PM
How is my view "elisist?" I'm saying the schools aren't good based upon the rankings provided to me.

That's exactly why you're an elitist; you think an arbitrary number given by a magazine whose goal is to sell magazines dictates the quality (or lackthereof) of a college/university.

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:50 PM
What are you talking about JHG? He is saying that he judges a school by his own accord, NOT some magazine's ranking.

JHG722
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
What are you talking about JHG? He is saying that he judges a school by his own accord, NOT some magazine's ranking.

No he's not...

MetSox17
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Stay away from Vaquero parties. They claim to not be a frat, but it's the same damn thing.

kwilk103
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
frats arent big at wvu

went to one party though; it was pretty cool though; had a bunch of people and a band

andyjo672
04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
That's exactly why you're an elitist; you think an arbitrary number given by a magazine whose goal is to sell magazines dictates the quality (or lackthereof) of a college/university.

I use the most objective source available to the general public to make the most informed opinions possible. Come up with a better solution if you've got one. They combine many statistics to come up with their numbers, its closer than anything you've given me, pal.

Brent
04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
No he's not...
Fair enough, admittedly, I am drunk and trying my best to comprehend what is being posted. Hooray English majors!

scottyboy
04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Add me on facebook, Philip Lolis.

did you guys really let this go un-noticed? oh come on SWDC, you're slacking!

JHG722
04-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I use the most objective source available to the general public to make the most informed opinions possible. Come up with a better solution if you've got one. They combine many statistics to come up with their numbers, its closer than anything you've given me, pal.

I'm not your pal.

scottyboy
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm not your pal.

no, but you may be the king of most utterly pointless posts, congrats

YAYareaRB
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
No Idaho State?.. This list is now null and void.

Brent
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
No Idaho State?.. This list is now null and void.
What is there to do in Idaho other than drink and hook up with girls? Nothing, thus making it no different than any other small town which surrounds a college.

YAYareaRB
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
What is there to do in Idaho other than drink and hook up with girls? Nothing, thus making it no different than any other small town which surrounds a college.

Dude.. I was just kidding.

the decider13
04-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Had to fix that for you. Being a former resident of Redding, CA, I am aware of the craziness that is Chico State.

My friend is going to Chico, and I have heard some crazy shizz from him haha

andyjo672
04-21-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm not your pal.

You also, seemingly, are not capable of holding your own in a conversation. So feel free to keep calling me an "elitist" if that somehow makes you feel smart and in your own mind validates your argument. The point is, I cited an objective reference to prove my point, you've provided this entire conversation with nothing, zip, zilch, nada with the exception of, as noted before, calling me an "elitist" for using those rankings. Good one.

JHG722
04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
You also, seemingly, are not capable of holding your own in a conversation. So feel free to keep calling me an "elitist" if that somehow makes you feel smart and in your own mind validates your argument. The point is, I cited an objective reference to prove my point, you've provided this entire conversation with nothing, zip, zilch, nada with the exception of, as noted before, calling me an "elitist" for using those rankings. Good one.

I dont know how saying that a publication's rankings arent the end all be all is nothing, but okay.

andyjo672
04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
I dont know how saying that a publication's rankings arent the end all be all is nothing, but okay.

Then provide me with something better if you have something.

JHG722
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Then provide me with something better if you have something.

I'm not going to waste my time noting the fantastic programs at schools outside of the top 50, but the point is that anyone can exceed anywhere, most schools provide a great education, and being outside of some arbitrary number in some arbitrary ranking does not mean a school is not good.

Brent
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude.. I was just kidding.
I'm aware; trust me it's not much different here.

MetSox17
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Don't lie Brent, you know that was a drunk tirade.

YAYareaRB
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM

I always thought Texas A&M was a party school..

Brent
04-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't lie Brent, you know that was a drunk tirade.
eh, 50/50

I always thought Texas A&M was a party school..
Party school? No, it's just that all there is to do is drink or at least enhance your activities with alcohol. Most places have one night where they have a lot of drink specials and those are spread out through the week, so you can drink just about any time you want.

andyjo672
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm not going to waste my time noting the fantastic programs at schools outside of the top 50, but the point is that anyone can exceed anywhere, most schools provide a great education, and being outside of some arbitrary number in some arbitrary ranking does not mean a school is not good.

Now you're comparing individual programs at schools to entire universities, which was what I was ranking. You can't just change the scope of an argument to suit your needs and call that evidence. That's not how it works. And to call the rankings more arbitrary than your opinions doesn't make sense either. Also, if you WANTED to go into individual programs, how would you discuss the benefits of those. Answer, the rankings as well. Nice try.