PDA

View Full Version : Is this a pretty good scouting report for DHB?

Matthew Jones
04-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Would you say this scouting report is pretty good for DHB?

Strengths: Has excellent speed...Size is above average...Was very productive in a tough conference...Has very good athletic ability...Explosive...A big play threat who can really stretch the field...Could be even better in the pros in a more open offensive system.

Weaknesses: Needs to expand his game to be more than just a deep threat...Played in a run orientated offense...Has had some minor injuries so durability could be a minor concern...Not a finished product and will need some work and coaching.

Matthew Jones
04-18-2009, 05:15 PM
By the way...that was Scott's old scouting report on Troy Williamson. :-P

Smokey Joe
04-18-2009, 05:28 PM
sounds similar, but I think DHB has more upside and a better size-speed combo.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Well DHB is bigger and faster. IMO if you line up all of the WR's in the NFL and make them sprint the entire field no one could contend with DHB other than maybe an Andre Johnson prior to putting on more weight. No player I can think of in the NFL right now can cover the ground like DHB with his ridiculously long strides and fluid hips. Also people knock on his hands all the time but if you watch it, over half the time he snatches the ball out of the air when he has to. Body catches on short slants is just laziness and can be fixed as he has displayed the ability to catch with his hands on those same routes and in private workouts. Also Williamson wouldn't be such a bum in this league if he didn't have as horrendous hands as he does. Can't think of anyone in this draft with the possible exception of Jaison Williams who has worse hands than Williamson. Also every case is different. Sure some of those things are the same, but a lot of Williamson being a bust has to do with his own work ethic and other factors. At the same token you can look at Roddy White's draft profile from Scott and say it's very similar to DHB's:

Roddy White
Strengths: Has excellent speed and quickness...Has a decent size and frame...Very athletic and adjusts to the ball well...Physical player...Has good hands and uses them well...A threat to score at anytime...Does a nice job getting open...A big play threat and a playmaker.

Weaknesses: Has been mostly just a deep threat in college and may be a bit....Needs to work on his route running...Isn't a great blocker...Doesn't really create after the catch...Probably not as big as his school lists him.

Notes: A bit of a sleeper whose stock is on the rise...Has some impressive physical tools and his big play ability is exciting...Not a finished product but has been very productive and teams will love his playmaking ability.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Heyward-Bey is bigger and faster? That's news to me.

Based on their respective NFL combine showings, Heyward bey is .2" taller, 7 lbs heavier, and .02 seconds faster through the 40. That's such a small difference one could barely call it as such.

Not to say that Heyward-Bey isn't a more polished (if less productive) receiver than Williamson, but size and speed are not where their differences lay.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Heyward-Bey is bigger and faster? That's news to me.

Based on their respective NFL combine showings, Heyward bey is .2" taller, 7 lbs heavier, and .02 seconds faster through the 40. That's such a small difference one could barely call it as such.

Not to say that Heyward-Bey isn't a more polished (if less productive) receiver than Williamson, but size and speed are not where their differences lay.

DHB was actually .08 faster than Williamson. 4.30 for DHB 4.38 for Williamson. Regardless I wasn't talking about 40 times, I was talking about on field speed. DHB is much quicker off the ball and once he hits his second gear after the first 10, very few can keep up with him. As far as being bigger DHB has longer arms and a much better frame to add more good weight where as Williamson's body was very compact with very little room to grow.

Crickett
04-18-2009, 06:22 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31168

We've been here and we've done this.