PDA

View Full Version : Could Curry go No. 1?


cdf_2108
04-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Apparently his agents are talking to the Lions...I think it's a smoke screen on the lions part to maybe get stafford to accept less guaranteed money but who knows, maybe they love curry (it's hard not to respect his game)

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/18/lb-currys-agents-meet-with-lions-at-practice/

vidae
04-18-2009, 07:00 PM
I seriously doubt it. He looks like an elite talent, but he'd be a MLB in their system (correct me if I'm wrong, that's what I've been hearing) and they have bigger needs on the offensive line and at Quarterback.

I love Curry as a prospect though, easily my favorite this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-18-2009, 07:03 PM
The Lions will probably negotiate with Stafford, Jason Smith, Eugene, and Curry just for safety but I think it's 97% chance they take Stafford with a 2% chance of Smith and 1% chance of Monroe. I will say though even if he has to kick inside a LB trio of Julian Peterson, Aaron Curry, and Ernie Sims would be redunkulous.

bearsfan_51
04-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I sure ******* hope so.

WMD
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The Dynasty
04-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I saw a report I think yesterday that the Lions were talking contracts with Stafford, Smith and Curry.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11642509/rss

RaiderNation
04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I think its 80% Stafford, 15% Jason Smith and 5% Aaron Curry

holt_bruce81
04-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I doubt it, even though he should. When your picking that high you have a ton of needs and should probably just go BPA. And Aaron Curry is by far the best player in this draft.

Smokey Joe
04-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I think its 80% Stafford, 15% Jason Smith and 5% Aaron Curry
I agree with this.

Matthew Jones
04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Right now I'd say they're leaning Stafford. Probably about 60% Stafford, 30% Jason Smith, 10% Aaron Curry IMO. I don't think it will be Mark Sanchez or Eugene Monroe though at all. I'd be very surprised.

Nj.
04-18-2009, 07:37 PM
I think he has #1 talent but Stafford could affect this team so nicely

SimonRath
04-18-2009, 07:39 PM
how many threads are gonna be made about Curry goin #1?

bearsfan_51
04-18-2009, 07:55 PM
And Aaron Curry is by far the best player in this draft.

I don't see how in the world you can say that.

keylime_5
04-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Less than 5% they take Curry. It is most certainly NOT 1 in 20 odds.

TACKLE
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
One word. Leverage.

akvikefan89
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
One word: Lever. age.

That's 2 words.


:p

Calvin & Kevin
04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
I am pretty set on Stafford being the pick, but I'll say this.

I can definitely see the possibility that Tom Condon is trying to hold the Lions up and get $40+ million guaranteed. With the upcoming uncapped year, labor trouble, and eventual CBA negotiation coming, and a rookie pay scale looming as a potential hot button issue for the owners, Condon may be looking to get his guy that last ridiculous rookie payday.

If that's the case, and Stafford is just not going to sign for anything less than the rookie contract to end all rookie contracts, thinking the Lions tipped their hand and need him just that badly, then I say let the Lions take someone else. If Curry and his agents step in there and say OK we'll take more reasonable money to be the #1 pick, then go for it.

It's not like Curry won't help the Lions a great deal. I think I'd still rather see Monroe than Curry, but I won't cry if they draft Curry and it becomes clear that Stafford and Condon were dead set on breaking the bank.

Texas Homer
04-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Could he?Anything is possible.I certainly doubt it.

I LOVE Curry's skill set. I think he is going to be a greta LB, but I don't see him going #1.

Just my opinion, but I think it will be Matthew Stafford.

StorminNorman
04-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't understand why the Lions would Curry at number one when he is not even the best Middle Linebacker in the draft.

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Taking a middle linebacker with the first overall pick of the draft just does not make any sense financially. Taking a middle linebacker first overall in the draft when he's actually an outside linebacker just doesn't make any sense from a football perspective. Don't get me wrong now I love Curry but let him go play SAM and he can be great. If he plays inside in a 34 I don't think he will have a P-Willy, Jerod Mayo type impact and if he plays inside in a 43 I don't see him being a Jon Beason type player. The Lions for my money need to take Stafford, Sanchez, Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. If Stafford was as good at the private workout as the Lions said he was then he absolutely has to be the pick. How many teams win superbowls without a franchise QB? How many even make the playoffs? Now im not saying the Lions are going to win the superbowl or even get the playoffs this year or even next but they definitely have the start of a team.

The perfect scenario(as of now) for the Lions over the next 2 years IMO

2009 draft

Matthew Stafford, QB
Peria Jerry, DT
William Beatty, OT
Coye Francies, CB
Cornellius Ingram, TE

2010 draft

Eric Berry, S
Jarvis Jenkins, DT
Crezdon Butler, CB

Obviously these players can change with free agency next year and how the draft actually turns out.

My point here is that if they take Stafford and bookend Cherilus with Beatty and slide Backus to guard the whole left hand side is upgraded. They have nobody at DT at the which is why over the next two years I have them taking two. The secondary is in tatters and needs a complete do over. Eric Berry next year is one of the best safety prospects in a long time and could really help transform the defense. On offence, with Stafford, a better line, CJ and Kevin Jones there is not a lot more needed.

If the Lions where to take Aaron Curry with the first overall it would leave them in no man's land. Yea they would have a very strong LB corps however their offence would still be terrible. If in the above scenario the Lions swap Curry for Stafford they will have a very good defense and an ok offense, however to get back to my point from earlier, how many teams win a superbowl without a franchise QB.

Addict
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
it's a smokescreen. Drafting an MLB (which he is in our system) #1 is insane.

P-L
04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Drafting an outside linebacker at #1 and hoping that he can play in the middle would probably be worse than any move that Matt Millen made.

the decider13
04-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't see how they can take anyone besides Stafford unless they have another plan for getting a franchise QB.

Babylon
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
I just cant see taking a LB that isnt named Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas that high as being a smart move. I think Curry is going to be a good one but seems like strictly a 4-3 OLB to me. At this point he wouldnt be an upgrade over Julian Peterson.

D-Unit
04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah I could see it. He's the best defensive player in the draft. He's the safest player in the draft (Supposedly). Plus, I think he would negotiate a cheaper contract than both Stafford and Smith. Just like Mario Williams did when Bush and Young were talking to the Texans. ...and just like Williams, Curry is the smart "Football" pick.

Highagain
04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah I could see it. He's the best defensive player in the draft. He's the safest player in the draft (Supposedly). Plus, I think he would negotiate a cheaper contract than both Stafford and Smith. Just like Mario Williams did when Bush and Young were talking to the Texans. ...and just like Williams, Curry is the smart "Football" pick.

Completely different situation. Williams plays a premier position and Bush does not. Curry does not play a premier position which is why he isn't likely to be the #1 pick. Plus, Houston already had a lot of money tied up in Dominick Davis so adding Bush would have been troubling financially. In Detroit, they already have two high-priced linebackers in Peterson and Sims. Do they really need another at 1st overall?

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 01:27 PM
IMO at the minute the best football decision they could make is to take Stafford(or Sanchez if they like him more but I highly doubt that). There is no point in building up your team to put a franchise QB in. Who says they will be in the position to get a QB of Stafford's quality next year. What if they improve to close to .500 and are picking in the mid-teens? Will there be a franchise QB available then? Take Stafford at #1 then go BPA the rest of the draft

The Dynasty
04-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I think it would be a huge mistake by the Lions if they took Curry. I think Curry will be a great Linebacker for years to come but the Lions have been the carpet to the NFL for years. They need a Franchise QB in the worst way and Stafford should be their guy. Stafford might not pull a Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco but he will give the Lions stability for years and they shouldn't be worrying about who will sign quicker or cheaper.

Babylon
04-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah I could see it. He's the best defensive player in the draft. He's the safest player in the draft (Supposedly). Plus, I think he would negotiate a cheaper contract than both Stafford and Smith. Just like Mario Williams did when Bush and Young were talking to the Texans. ...and just like Williams, Curry is the smart "Football" pick.

I guess i'd argue their chances of getting a good LB at #20 or #33 are a lot better than getting a good QB at that point of the draft. Besides they just brought in Julian Peterson. I'd probably go the OT route there if they dont like the QBs.