PDA

View Full Version : Pick a surprise pick for your team

Texas Homer
04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Texans take RB CHRIS WELLS from Ohio st. if Malcolm Jenkins isn't there and if they don't trade down.

I know that Kubiak said that he wants his 1st round pick to be a difference maker and I've heard that he wants a Big RB.

I know back in Kubes Denver days they usually didn't pick RB's with high picks, but if I had to pick a surprise pick, then I'm going with RB Chris Wells(given if he is still on the table).

phlysac
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Malcolm Jenkins

the decider13
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
12- Aaron Maybin
18-Knowshon Moreno

Calvin & Kevin
04-18-2009, 10:58 PM
1 - Monroe
20 - Pettigrew
33 - M. Johnson

Mr.Regular
04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
haha I really hope the Lions end up doing that.... passing on a potential franchise QB and taking a TE in the first for the worst team in NFL history.

But for the Packers I'll say Robert Ayers or Larry English.

RWills
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Patriots - RB - Donald Brown

Bills2083
04-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Buffalo Bills - Clay Matthews (11)

coordinator0
04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Ravens (26) - Brian Robiskie

keylime_5
04-18-2009, 11:24 PM
mark sanchez to cleveland i guess would be a surprise.

lordquas
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Ravens (26) - Brian Robiskie

woaaaahh. your reaching for gold son

Texas Homer
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Ravens (26) - Brian RobiskieGood pick. Others may not agree, but I think he is going to sneak into the late part of the 1st round.

akvikefan89
04-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Vikings: Peria Jerry.

Unlikely but possible.

WMD
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
There's nobody the Lions could pick that would surprise me. Unless it was insane reach or someone big fell.. I guess the only "surprise" would be Brandon Pettigrew.. but I'm pretty much ready for anyone to be picked by us.

akvikefan89
04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
There's nobody the Lions could pick that would surprise me. Unless it was insane reach or someone big fell.. I guess the only "surprise" would be Brandon Pettigrew.. but I'm pretty much ready for anyone to be picked by us.

Goodell: "With the first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft... the Detroit Lions select... Percy Harvin, Wide Receiver, Florida.

*Kiper's mouth agape, not speaking, camera cuts to commercial after 10 seconds*

proshoota25
04-18-2009, 11:34 PM
patriots: knowshon moreno/ chris wells..........

Calvin & Kevin
04-18-2009, 11:35 PM

A WR would of course be a major surprise. But after the Millen years, I agree, I don't think we're really capable of being surprised. Jordon Dizon, Mike Williams, Gerald Alexander, Ikaika Alama-Francis - after those, I don't believe Mayhew could do anything that would shock me.

Buc Baller12
04-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Darrius Heyward Bey
Beanie Wells
Robert Ayers
Ron Brace.

Can't wait till next week...

The Dynasty
04-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Vikings: Peria Jerry.

Unlikely but possible.

I would go with that or one of the USC Linebackers to take place of Leber even though I don't think Leber needs to be replaced.

But like you said about Jerry..Unlikely but always a possibility with Childress.

akvikefan89
04-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I would go with that or one of the USC Linebackers to take place of Leber even though I don't think Leber needs to be replaced.

But like you said about Jerry..Unlikely but always a possibility with Childress.

USC LB was my second choice. I guess these picks aren't "surprise" enough, lol...

RaiderNation
04-18-2009, 11:38 PM
DHB at #7. If we trade down though I wont be surprised at all

ballin2hard
04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
14. New Orleans saints select Knowshon Moreno

thebow305
04-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I guess Ron Brace would be a little bit of a surprise at 25, although I could definitely see it happening and wouldn't be all that upset about it.

I really do think that Sean Smith will be the pick for us though, and I think that will surprise some people.

Me Likey Rookies
04-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Bucs:

Ron Brace or Darius Butler

Matthew Jones
04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
For the Patriots, I guess Darius Butler if you consider him a surprise. Other than that, Knowshon Moreno or Donald Brown.

iBoldin
04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Arizona Cardinals - TE Shawn Nelson, South Mississippi.

I wouldn't be all that happy with it, but I'd understand it, especially if Pettigrew is gone. We all know Whisenhunt was a tight end, and he was a fabolous tight ends coach, and could take Shawn Nelson on as a personal project, ultimately molding him into one of the NFL's most versatile tight ends.

DraftMichaelHuff
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
If the first round played out according to Scotts most recent mock, the falcons would likely take Everette Brown at #23, thats pic i havent heard talked about before

PoopSandwich
04-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Surprise? Mark Sanchez I guess, but it wouldn't be a big surprise if we traded Quinn before we did it.

BeerBaron
04-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, the Bears don't have a first rounder so it's a little tougher...hmm.

I bet most people have us pegged to take a WR or DB with our 2nd rounder, but it might surprise some if we go for a DT or LB. We don't have major glaring needs at those spots, but they are always ones we stay well stocked up on....

Chief49er
04-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Josh Freeman

I would cry...

Paranoidmoonduck
04-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Oakland's going to take some player way above where most people thought their value was a month ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take S Michael Mitchell in the 4th round or maybe even OT Sebastian Vollmer somewhere in that range.

wicket
04-19-2009, 02:42 AM
14. New Orleans saints select Knowshon Moreno

god i hope not

OzTitan
04-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Josh Freeman, Chris Wells or Alex Mack would be pretty big surprise picks for the Titans, but not impossible.

ThePudge
04-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Aaron Maybin - SLB - Penn State would be a shocker. Not entirely opposed as he fits what the Bengals want out of the SLB position (see David Pollack.) Brian Orakpo - DE - Texas would make sense from a pass-rushing sense, though he'd be as much a reach as Maybin almost and would likely sit behind Geathers and Odom. Who knows...

San Diego Chicken
04-19-2009, 04:42 AM
The Chargers selecting Donald Brown with the #16?

eagles nut
04-19-2009, 06:22 AM
The Eagles taking a defensive player. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a DE or CB but some fans might be.

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 06:35 AM
With the 23rd pick in the 2009 NFL draft the New England Patriots select Brandon Paettigrew, TE

initial_flo
04-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah definitely Sanchez for the Browns, it would just be utter chaos in Northeast Ohio.

AkiliSmith
04-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Moreno at 6 for the Bengals would certainly be shocking

jsagan77
04-19-2009, 08:39 AM
For the Skins...? Beanie Wells I suppose. Obviously not on anyone's radar but I don't think the new regime like Betts and knows Portis only has a couple good years in him if we don't get some help... If Sanchez, the OT's and Rey aren't there, this could be the pick (unless we can trade back)...

Smokey Joe
04-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Well, if we still had a 1st round pick, I would say either Cushing or Matthews.

senormysterioso
04-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Brandon Pettigrew at 9 for the Packers maybe?

Smokey Joe
04-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, the Bears don't have a first rounder so it's a little tougher...hmm.

I bet most people have us pegged to take a WR or DB with our 2nd rounder, but it might surprise some if we go for a DT or LB. We don't have major glaring needs at those spots, but they are always ones we stay well stocked up on....
I would not be surprised to see us take Alex Magee in 2nd. So I agree with you about DT.

TheBuffaloBills
04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Paul Kruger or Britton at 11 for Buffalo.

Addict
04-19-2009, 09:40 AM
with the first pick of the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California.

And just for good measure:

with the first pick of the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions selct Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech.

Go_Eagles77
04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Everyone stop saying Moreno! He needs to be there at 21.

As for the eagles, probably a DE like Ayers, which would suck.

BaLLiN
04-19-2009, 09:45 AM
giants can go alot of positions, widereciever isnt their limit.

percy harvin
michael oher (trade up)
malcolm Jenkins (FS)
Knowshon Moreno
clay matthews
brian cushing

Yatta!
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Wouldn't be a major surprise but Michael Oher could be a real option for Green Bay, almost every mock has us going defense.

bearsfan_51
04-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Here are a few that I've considered:

- The more I think about, the less I would be surprised if someone took Darius Butler in the top 15, maybe even the top 10. I think that would shock a lot of people, particularly non draft-nicks who don't even know who he is.

-Giants fans will hate this, but I could see them taking Knowshon Moreno in the 1st round. He would have an immediate impact and provide a compliment to Brandon Jacobs.

-I could see any of the three USC linebackers falling out of the 1st round, which would be crushing for Cushing since he's attending the draft.

-A lot of people have Percy Harvin falling to the late 1st. It wouldn't surprise me to see him fall to the late 2nd. Or later.

Malaka
04-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Here are a few that I've considered:

- The more I think about, the less I would be surprised if someone took Darius Butler in the top 15, maybe even the top 10. I think that would shock a lot of people, particularly non draft-nicks who don't even know who he is.

-Giants fans will hate this, but I could see them taking Knowshon Moreno in the 1st round. He would have an immediate impact and provide a compliment to Brandon Jacobs.

-I could see any of the three USC linebackers falling out of the 1st round, which would be crushing for Cushing since he's attending the draft.

-A lot of people have Percy Harvin falling to the late 1st. It wouldn't surprise me to see him fall to the late 2nd. Or later.

I am guessing you're not a fan of Ahmad Bradshaw? If anything, he'd compliment Jacobs, Knowhson would have a chance to play, but in role similar to Bradshaw's last year, I do think we should draft a RB if in fact he is BPA, but in the first round we badly need a receiver and I am 99% sure either Nicks or Britt will be there at 29.

broadstbullies
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
The Eagles taking a defensive player. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a DE or CB but some fans might be.

I think Defensive End is a really good bet except there isn't a real fit there.

I know everyone says Moreno or Pettigrew but I think they trade back

a surprise would be a WR

broadstbullies
04-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Everyone stop saying Moreno! He needs to be there at 21.

As for the eagles, probably a DE like Ayers, which would suck.

Ayers is probably the only fit at DE and if he's there they'll probably take him. You know Andy loves the lines and I don't trust this pass rush to be honest.

Geo
04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Can't think of one for the Colts, really.

My guess is their first round pick comes down to Kenny Britt, Ziggy Hood, Peria Jerry, Brian Robiskie, or Alphonso Smith. Don't think any of those 5 are major surprise picks.

cdf_2108
04-19-2009, 11:55 AM
With the 23rd pick in the 2009 NFL draft the New England Patriots select Brandon Paettigrew, TE

with the amount of talent/picks we have in the 2nd round, I would not mind the patriots selecting pettigew at 23, our TEs were atrocious last year.

Go_Eagles77
04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Can't think of one for the Colts, really.

My guess is their first round pick comes down to Kenny Britt, Ziggy Hood, Peria Jerry, Brian Robiskie, or Alphonso Smith. Don't think any of those 5 are major surprise picks.
I think Alphonso Smith could be a pro-bowler in the colts system. That would be a great fit.

Diehard
04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Denver:

18 - Donald Brown or Evander Hood

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
For the Eagles... Right now we basically have narrowed down much of ou board, I think a Safety in the first would be a huge surprise, but I really can't say I'd be shocked with anything, since the team can still go a variety of ways. I would be shocked if we pick OL now.

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Ayers is probably the only fit at DE and if he's there they'll probably take him. You know Andy loves the lines and I don't trust this pass rush to be honest.

How don't you trust it? And Ayers wouldn't help the pass rush at all...

We have 6 DEs who can reach the QB... basically, our whole DL is capable of making plays in the backfield, so I have no idea what you are saying.

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
with the amount of talent/picks we have in the 2nd round, I would not mind the patriots selecting pettigew at 23, our TEs were atrocious last year.

I wouldn't be overly annoyed at the pick but it would definitely be a surprise pick, especially with the pick up of Baker in free agency.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-19-2009, 01:17 PM
For the Redskins at #13 Clay Matthews which I would throw up if that happened. Also Maybin and Everette Brown are strong possibilities even though they would get blown up and we need a LDE. Also for a shocker with the Skins don't be shocked if they take Eben Britton at #13 even if Oher is still on the board. Britton is the type of lineman Joe Bugel loves and Skins would love for Jon Jansen to show him the ropes. TBH though I wouldn't hate that pick, although 13 is high for a RT. Also call it a bad feeling but the Skins might take Michael Johnson at 13.

ChiefMojo
04-19-2009, 01:30 PM
For the Chiefs everyone thinking Aaron Curry, but I think it will more than likely be Tyson Jackson.

BeerBaron
04-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I am guessing you're not a fan of Ahmad Bradshaw? If anything, he'd compliment Jacobs, Knowhson would have a chance to play, but in role similar to Bradshaw's last year, I do think we should draft a RB if in fact he is BPA, but in the first round we badly need a receiver and I am 99% sure either Nicks or Britt will be there at 29.

I wouldn't worry too much about your first rounder...I think it will have for Braylon Edwards. Everything I've been reading and hearing suggests that it's not as much of an issue as "will it happen" but more "when it will happen."

The hangup I keep hearing is that the Browns was something like a 1st, 3rd and another WR (Steve Smith) but the Giants don't want to part with him as he was becoming a very good #2/#3 type receiver. I think as the draft gets closer, the Browns will budge, take a lesser receiver like Manningham, and be done with it.

Babylon
04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Seattle- Clay Matthews in round 2 (pleasant surprise)

New England- Pat White in round 2 (not a pleasant surprise)

art vandelay
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Surprise pick for Buffalo would be LB Clay Matthews. I would absolutely hate this pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Surprise pick for Buffalo would be LB Clay Matthews. I would absolutely hate this pick.

Haha join the club. He is my surprise skins pick that would make me cry. He would get romped in the NFC east in the run game, and IMO isn't nearly good enough of a playmaker as a pass rusher and in the pass game to make up for his decencies. Hell I'd rather draft Larry English at 13 and try to convert him into a 43 SLB.

broadstbullies
04-19-2009, 02:23 PM
How don't you trust it? And Ayers wouldn't help the pass rush at all...

We have 6 DEs who can reach the QB... basically, our whole DL is capable of making plays in the backfield, so I have no idea what you are saying.

Well if they have big plans for Bryan Smith they might be taking a risk. Cole has been a beast and bulked up some this off-season. Parker was good but I'm still not sold on how good he is. VA has been injured his short career.

I hope Bryan Smith can come in and contribute but he's only 250 now

but this isn't a good DE draft so I have no clue what they will do if Moreno isn't there and he probably won't be

marshallb
04-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I would agree with the other Vikings fans and say Jerry and Cushing. Both of those picks would piss me off, as we don't need an OLB and at DT, right now anyways, we just need depth as next year looks to be a great DT class and we'd need a replacement for Pat Williams then.

TimD
04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Brandon Pettigrew for the Jets. Haven't heard much about him, but the Jets do need a TE. Keller is a slot receiver more than a TE, and he's our only guy on the roster.

derza222
04-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Brandon Pettigrew for the Jets. Haven't heard much about him, but the Jets do need a TE. Keller is a slot receiver more than a TE, and he's our only guy on the roster.

I agree with this. The most likely surprise pick IMO, although I believe he got praised a bit in the pre-draft presser so maybe not given a smokescreen is definitely possible. Others would be Donald Brown (a reach but supposedly we like him) and Kenny Britt (reach but at a position of need). I don't think Chris Wells really counts but if he's there I think it's definitely possible and he's not a QB or a WR. Also could see us taking Oher or Andre Smith if they slip and trying to play them at RT or guard.

TitanHope
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

That is how I view the Titans taking Brace. Seeing as how he doesn't fit our 1-gap, attacking DL scheme, I will be surprised if the Titans pick him.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Eagles select CB Darius Butler with the 21st pick.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30421&highlight=as+good+kiper

eagles nut
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I think Everette Brown fits the Eagles. I think Brown is more of a fit in an Eagles, Tampa, Colts style D-line than he is as a 3-4 OLB. I do know they've brought in Lawrence Sidbury and David Veikune for pre-draft visits although I'm not sure if they're looking at them as D-line or possible conversions to SLB a la Gocong.

Robert Ayers(who they've also brought in for a visit) fits if they're not satisfied with Abiamiri as the long-term starter at LE.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I think Everette Brown fits the Eagles. I think Brown is more of a fit in an Eagles, Tampa, Colts style D-line than he is as a 3-4 OLB. I do know they've brought in Lawrence Sidbury and David Veikune for pre-draft visits although I'm not sure if they're looking at them as D-line or possible conversions to SLB a la Gocong.

Robert Ayers(who they've also brought in for a visit) fits if they're not satisfied with Abiamiri as the long-term starter at LE.

If Everette Brown falls to 21, I would be ecstatic with the pick even if Moreno is available. I think the Eagles rightfully value pass rushers and linemen over RBs.
If you think about it, taking a RB is a risk and a rather wasted pick (unless he is deemed top 10 talent) since you can always find one in the later rounds or in next year's draft. I hope they address DE or CB with the 21st pick.

scottyboy
04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Knowshon
Brown
Robiskie
Sintim(NEVER ENOUGH PASS RUSHERS!)

BigTron
04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
The Oakland Raiders select Michael Oher.

marshfield
04-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Beanie Wells for the Packers.

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:13 AM
One that would surprise me at 10 but not be all that far-fetched would be Tyson Jackson.