PDA

View Full Version : Are the Chiefs going to be the Dolphins of 2009?

cdf_2108
04-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Nuff said. If they can reunite Boldin with Todd Haley, that offense could be scary...

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I would very much doubt it. They play the NFC East and the AFC North, two very strong divisions. Their first 7 weeks are @ Bal, vs Oak, @ Phi, vs NYG, vs Dal, @ Was, vs SD. Now obviously anything can happen in the NFL but with that start, depending on the Oakland game they could legitimately be 0 and 7 at the bye. Miami had a few good things in their favour last year, most notably an easy schedule. In the AFC West next year only San Diego have the quality IMO to be close to 500 outside the division and will therefore be the only representatives of the AFC West in the playoffs.

Shane P. Hallam
04-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Let's wait until after the draft. For me, I will consider them, Detroit, and Seattle as strong possibilities to turn it all around.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Denver will be the Dolphins of 2009. The 2007 Dolphins of 2009.

Malaka
04-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Let's wait until after the draft. For me, I will consider them, Detroit, and Seattle as strong possibilities to turn it all around.

Detroit? After a draft? More like 2 or 3 more drafts, other than LB, and WR, that team is pretty much in shambles.

Gay Ork Wang
04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
i think the Seahawks have the best chance to turn it around

gpngc
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Detroit? After a draft? More like 2 or 3 more drafts, other than LB, and WR, that team is pretty much in shambles.

They really aren't even that bad. They had a bunch of a second-half leads last year. It's not like they got blown out every week. Last year was also probably a snowball effect... They kept losing, kept losing confidence, and football is a game of momentum and all the Lions momentum was going backwards all season.

Now they've got some new players, and more importantly, a fresh start. 0-0. That's huge for their psyche as a team. CJ and K. Smith are a year wiser, the OL and defense has some re-enforcements coming in via the draft and Culpepper isn't the worst QB in the world...

In this NFL, it really wouldn't surprise me that much to see Detroit with a winning record.

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I would agree that the Seahawks have the best shot of turning it around next year. I mean they lost Hasselbeck for a good time and had absolutely no WRs. Now Matt should be back healthy next year, they got Housh and the #4 pick in the draft, plus if Boldin goes then the weakest division in the NFL just got weaker.

Malaka
04-19-2009, 01:35 PM
They really aren't even that bad. They had a bunch of a second-half leads last year. It's not like they got blown out every week. Last year was also probably a snowball effect... They kept losing, kept losing confidence, and football is a game of momentum and all the Lions momentum was going backwards all season.

Now they've got some new players, and more importantly, a fresh start. 0-0. That's huge for their psyche as a team. CJ and K. Smith are a year wiser, the OL and defense has some re-enforcements coming in via the draft and Culpepper isn't the worst QB in the world...

In this NFL, it really wouldn't surprise me that much to see Detroit with a winning record.

I just don't see a position where there decent at, I mean the O-line is terrible, other than CJ the Wide Outs aren't really good, Kevin Smith was pretty good last year but the jury is still out on him, the Lions do not know what a TE is there best TE is like Dan Campbell I think... is Matt Stafford going to start day one? or are they going to be run by Daunte for a bit, now thats the offense with question marks everywhere. The defense, has DeWayne White who is a best an average LE, and Cliff Avril who was a pretty effective pass rusher last year, Cory Redding is gone and he was a non-factor last year anyway now they're even worse at DT, LB is pretty decent Julian Peterson is a very good SAM, Ernie Simms has shown he could be a very good WILL, I guess 3rd round pick Jordon Dizon will take over at MIKE, they improved CB in FA a bit but it's still not great, and their safeties are just terrible. I think they need a few more years, this isn't the Falcons or the Dolphins who were pretty solid at a bunch of places.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I think the Seahawks should be excluded from the talk of "turning it around" because they were just messed up by injuries last year, not lack of talent or good football players.

AntoinCD
04-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Dizon was their secound rounder last year and it just seems that he couldn't cut it. They have a few bright sparks. Obviously CJ, Sims and Peterson should make whoever the MIKE is look better, Avril is a nice pass rusher but ineffective against the run, Cherilus looked good at times last year and Smith could be effective if given a line. They do have some players to start feeling slightly optimistic, however they are still the least talented team as a whole, hence why they went 0-16. It will take at least two drafts(hoping that they have no high pick busts) for them to even challenge for playoffs though

vidae
04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
We (the Chiefs) made the right moves in the offseason but as someone said our schedule is brutal. As far as overall talent goes I think we're definitely heading in the right direction (the last few drafts and I'm trusting Pioli to do his thing this Saturday) but I can't see us having that kind of season.

keylime_5
04-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Seahawks, Packers, and Jaguars will be back. Chiefs' schedule will be rough, plus they'll be bare on defense. Should be at least a little above average offensively, even if the QB was Thigpen instead of Cassel.

bearsfan_51
04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
The Chiefs may have a difficult schedule but their division is ****. All it takes is another underacheiving season from the Chargers and you could have another 8-8 team in the playoffs.

That said, don't make a thread and then not even back it up with an argument.

Splat
04-19-2009, 01:53 PM
The Chiefs have way to many wholes on D to fix in one off season and as much as I like Cassel he is still a question mark till he proves other wise.

PoopSandwich
04-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I think KC and GB will be the ones who are able to turn it around.

I really have no idea what the hell was wrong with the Packers last year but I don't think they will be that bad again this year, as for KC second place in that division is up for grabs and I think Pioli can draft some quality players to help them immediately.

Shane P. Hallam
04-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Sounds like Atlanta last year ;) The team has a great young DE, corners aren't too bad, safeties are okay. A stud RT, Backus would be a solid guard. They have a solid young RB, Grady Jackson is a big body in the middle. I could see it with 5 picks in the top 100. We will see though.

bearsfan_51
04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I really have no idea what the hell was wrong with the Packers last year.
Their defense sucks. It's basically Aaron Kampman and Charles Woodson (and sometimes Nick Collins). Yes, there are other players that you can bring up (and I'm sure Packers fans will), but the only two players last year that were consistantly good on their defense were those two. They were bad in almost every imaginable category except creating turnovers.

That said, I can envision a turnaround this year. They managed to shoot themselves in the foot a lot last year, and there is a lot of talent on the team.

Here's a stat that basically sums up the Packers last year.

Teams attempted 23 plays on 4th down. Of those 23, they converted 17 times. That's so bad it might be a record.

As for the Lions? I'd be stunned if they win more than 6 games last year. Almost every single thing about that team sucks.

TitleTown088
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes, there are other players that you can bring up (and I'm sure Packers fans will), but the only two players last year that were consistantly good on their defense were those two.
Cullen Jenkins :(

the decider13
04-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Denver will be the Dolphins of 2009. The 2007 Dolphins of 2009.

Don't hate on us...I'm still completelyabroncosfan

Calvin & Kevin
04-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Sounds like Atlanta last year ;) The team has a great young DE, corners aren't too bad, safeties are okay. A stud RT, Backus would be a solid guard. They have a solid young RB, Grady Jackson is a big body in the middle. I could see it with 5 picks in the top 100. We will see though.

I would never go so far as to say the Lions could be like the Dolphins of last year.

However, if you watched every Lions game last year (and if you're not a Lions fan why would you), you would know that the total failure of the defense has an awful lot to do with the way it was coached and called. Every single play featured the Lions' linebackers and CB's sprinting backwards from the LOS on the snap, and dropping into 5-10 yard zones or deeper. Outside runs and short passes were simply given away on virtually every snap. Combine that with a MLB and SLB who couldn't tackle, and you understand why they never stopped anything.

I have no idea if Schwartz and Gunther's defense will get better results but I do know they will be more aggressive, and if they can land a real MLB who can tackle, they have a chance to at least be in the lower half of the league instead of being the second-worst defense in league history.

the decider13
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
The Chiefs have way to many wholes on D to fix in one off season and as much as I like Cassel he is still a question mark till he proves other wise.

Thank you for the reality check,...some people seem to be forgetting about defensive holes. And where did the OP's rumor of Q to the Chiefs come from? That would cost the chiefs dearly in picks and would set their defense even further back.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't hate on us...I'm still completelyabroncosfan

I am realisticbroncosfan ;)

I don't think we'll be 1-15 bad, more like 5-11 bad.

Number 10
04-19-2009, 03:00 PM
In that sorry excuse of a division, the Chiefs can definitely contend for 1st place.

TitanHope
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I could see the Raiders if Jeff Garcia starts for them. Could see them in a situation like the Dolphins last year, except in a weaker division. QB who doesn't turn the ball over and manage the game. Strong running game with Run DMC and Michael Bush. Under-rated defense. Just depends if their rookie class contributes as much as Miami's did, with OL and DL help.

Michigan
04-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm calling it right now: The Lions WILL be the story of the NFL and go 6-10 next year! :D

the decider13
04-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I am realisticbroncosfan ;)

I don't think we'll be 1-15 bad, more like 5-11 bad.

ehhh...5-11. That's not that bad. Enough to get Eric Berry, that'd be pretty awesome.

cdf_2108
04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
The Chiefs may have a difficult schedule but their division is ****. All it takes is another underacheiving season from the Chargers and you could have another 8-8 team in the playoffs.

That said, don't make a thread and then not even back it up with an argument.

I think Cassel will be even better than he was last year. When people talk about him, they act like what he did with the pats was his ceiling. This guy is a Brady clone and works his tail off and prepares harder than anyone. He will get better: people forget, he was effectively a rookie last year.

My faith in the chiefs is based on my faith in Cassel, obviously they have a tough schedule but the difference between Wins and Losses in the NFL is when you have a poised, confident quarterback who can get you that crucial 3rd down conversion in the 4th quarter, and cassel can do that. So many NFL games are decided by one crucial play at the end of the game. The NFL has more parity than you think and the Chiefs will be able to compete with the likes of Baltimore, SD, and similar Sub-Elite teams. They might lay some eggs along the way but I think 8-8 is definitely a reasonable goal, and that might be enough to win the AFC west.

They're gonna be able to get a Franchise LT at #3, and paired with Brandon Albert, Gonzo, Bowe, and LJ (assuming he gets his head on straight), even without Boldin, that offense is gonna click.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with #3, unless someteam falls in love with Sanchez and doesn't think he'll make it past 4, I don't see them being able to trade that pick. I think they have to go OT because of the contract size for a #3, which I think will be a good value/need pick for the chiefs.

Kurve
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Hmmmm i dont know if they will they have a ton of holes in the D especially if they are going to a 3-4. Also depends on the offense will pan out will the line improve and will b with their running game? LJ? I can see them improving but i doubt they will be another Dolphins mainly due to Mr Parcells isnt on the chiefs.

Menardo75
04-19-2009, 03:45 PM
With the Chiefs having probably one of the toughest schedules in the NFL I have a hard time seeing it. Keep in mind the Dolphins of last year had one of the softest, so in that regard it is really hard to see. The draft will also tell a lot more of the story though.

Shane P. Hallam
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
With the Chiefs having probably one of the toughest schedules in the NFL I have a hard time seeing it. Keep in mind the Dolphins of last year had one of the softest, so in that regard it is really hard to see. The draft will also tell a lot more of the story though.

I wonder where the Dolphins schedule ranked before the season occurred though.

Menardo75
04-19-2009, 04:14 PM

That's true, but I can't help but think Oakland, Kansas City, and St. Louis were ranked in the pre-season.

gpngc
04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Yea...

No one knows who's going to be good or bad next year. Every schedule in the NFL is tough. The "toughest" schedule as we see it now will most definitely not be the toughest schedule once next season is over.

People keep saying NFC EAST NFC EAST like that's a reason the Chiefs can't win 9 or 10 games. Would you really be surprised if the Skins were a below average team? The other teams in that division are a QB injury (or meltdown) away from being mediocre squads as well. Even if you gave the Chiefs 4 losses in that division, they still get the Broncos and Raiders 2x each + the Chargers seem to annually underachieve. They could lose in KC.

I don't know, I just don't care about the schedule right now. By the time the Chiefs play the Eagles, Kevin Kolb could be the QB for all we know.

TonyGfortheTD
04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't put money on it, but I could see the Chiefs coming out of nowhere in 2009. I have a feeling Todd Haley is going to be the coach that makes LJ angry again and the line blocking will improve. One angry LJ+actual holes in the run game=a very productive LJ

If the Chiefs turn it around in '09, Larry Johnson will be one of the big reasons why.

nepg
04-20-2009, 08:53 AM
The Chiefs have a lot more talent on their roster than people realize. They have systems in-place to make the best possible use of that talent, and they have a whole draft to get even better. I reserve my official prediction on their record until after the draft, but the Chiefs are going to win a lot of games this year...at least 8.
________
Bondage Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/fetish/bdsm/)

bored of education
04-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I would be very pleased if the Chiefs pull off 7 wins this season. They were with in 10 points in 7 of their loses or some crazy number like that. I feel with the new regime some of those could turn to wins even with the much tougher schedule.

AJHawk50
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I definitely think the Chiefs can be competitive this season. Definitely win more games, but given our tough schedule...it's hard to say we will COMPLETELY turn it around. HOWEVER, I do think the Chiefs are on the right path.

Splat
04-20-2009, 02:26 PM
The only way the Chiefs make the playoffs is if Matt Cassel just plays lights out that is asking alot I'm thinking worse case 6-10 best case 9-7.

HawkeyeFan
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I like the Rams chances, and I really don't know why no one else does.

I also like the Buccaneers.

abaddon41_80
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
The Chiefs are improving but they are still a long way away from being a serious contender. I could see them winning the division, though, if San Diego disappoints greatly.

EDIT: Yah 1000!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Lions win 5-6 max next year. It's rebuilding again mainly because the North got better.

We're not devoid of talent. Calvin Johnson obviously and Bryant Johnson and Ronald Curry in the slot I like better than the 2 midgets McDonald and Furrey who are not effective without Mike Martz. Tons of coverage sacks because of this.

Oline we need a stud LG for run game and pass, which we can get at pick 33(Mack,Unger,Duke Robinson. Gosder will develop more in year 2 and is solid and progressed as year went on(3 of his 6 sacks on final play of game on 4th down). Jeff Backus is more than serviceable when re-watching all the Lions games. He'll make a mistake every now and then against a good DE, but unlike the guards and right side of line last year, Backus doesn't give up many hurries and pressures. Backus did a good job against Freeney,Mario Williams,Peppers,Abraham,Gaines Adams last year among others if you rewatch the games. With the QB play of holding onto the ball/receivers Roy,McDonald,Furrey not getting open or Calvin double teamed, he just gets put in really bad situations along with being down by a million points because of defense. Coverage sacks hopefully can be reduced. Left Guard as I said needs addressed and we're rolling with Raiola(per talks of contract extension who is decent but undersized) and Peterman(per his multi year deal) so there still may be problems there.

Defense, the big issue was lack of size and ability to force turnovers. Marinellis mold of player was undersized and quick. Problem is, everyone can't be undersized or there is a big problem especially if up front AND LB AND Safeties unable to tackle besides Bullocks. Plus we need 2 stud defenders probably on the Dline to make the LBs effective making Sims/Peterson stud players again. Shaun Rogers and Mike Martz is the difference between 7-9 and 0-16. I don't think we'll find that with pick 20, 2010 draft more likely a stud Dline player meaning QB issue for future must be addressed for Stafford. 5 wins max for the Lions, 2010 then we can MAYBE talk about turn around depending on how everyone develops from 2009. We can't afford any busts.

bearsfan_51
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I like the Rams chances, and I really don't know why no one else does.

Because they aren't Rams fans?

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Because they aren't Rams fans?

Very well put.

Chiefs could finish #2 in the division but honestly if the Raiders' offensive talent doesn't develop this year it may never happen at all.

Brent
04-20-2009, 05:32 PM
I saw someone said the Bucs and I could definitely see that.

jth1331
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
All the Chiefs homerism in this thread makes me want to vomit.
Cassell is still a huge question mark and saying he is a clutch QB after one season is ridiculous. If he comes back with a solid year, sure, you can say that, but saying you have a QB because of one season in a QB friendly system is just down right ridiculous.
Inconsistent running game without Larry Johnson, who has been injured the past 2 years now.
If they trade Tony Gonzalez, they will have 1 valid receiving threat in Dwayne Bowe.
Who the heck our their tackles going to be?
Defense has a ton of question marks, similar to the Broncos defensive question marks to be honest.

New coaching, new philosophy.

And the Dolphins rided luck more than anything last year IMO. They have an average team, but nowhere near 11-5 good. Baltimore took them to the woodshed in the playoffs, lets remember.

BamaFalcon59
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/011809-0410-

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/011809-0410-
POST FAIL.

IndyColtScout
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
They aren't going to the playoffs, but I would be willing to bet the Broncos do not pick top 10.

As for a team from worst to playoffs? Only team it could be is DET because they were the worst. Problem is they won't be much better with a done QB and young QB not ready.

BamaFalcon59
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/203231.jpg

Bucs_Rule
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
They aren't going to the playoffs, but I would be willing to bet the Broncos do not pick top 10.

As for a team from worst to playoffs? Only team it could be is DET because they were the worst. Problem is they won't be much better with a done QB and young QB not ready.

The Defense is by far the biggest problem. Whoever is QB will score some points throwing to CJ. According to Football Outsiders the Lions Defense was the worst ever since they backtested for.

bored of education
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
All the Chiefs homerism in this thread makes me want to vomit.
What homerism. I said that I would be very pleased if thye went 7-9, I think 5-11 is realistic but so is 7-9.

Cassell is still a huge question mark and saying he is a clutch QB after one season is ridiculous. If he comes back with a solid year, sure, you can say that, but saying you have a QB because of one season in a QB friendly system is just down right ridiculous.

no one has said he will be an all pro this year. he was one of the most sacked qb's last year btw due to ****** o line, lack of experience. he can only get better i think.

Inconsistent running game without Larry Johnson, who has been injured the past 2 years now.

once again no one said he would be a top 5-10 RB in the game

If they trade Tony Gonzalez, they will have 1 valid receiving threat in Dwayne Bowe.
Have they traded him yet? He is still on the team and Bowe and Gonzo were one of the best tandems yards and receptions wise last year on such a ****** team. For now he is still on the team

Who the heck our their tackles going to be?

Branden Albert has a bright future he is a stud LT. They have Waters and Goff and some other jamokes. Their o line is not great but can only get better.

Defense has a ton of question marks, similar to the Broncos defensive question marks to be honest.
They have a young defense that had no sakcs..no one said they would be the Ravens D this year

New coaching, new philosophy.
Better coaching, better philosophy, new regime

So what were you saying? No one has said that they will be 11-5. They were 2-14 with 10 loses within 10 points last year. I think they lost on the last drive in 4 games. So i think the change of philosophy and regime and some better coaching and a solid draft gets them another 4-6 wins. But it's to hard to tell right now and too early..but no one has said that they will be 16-0.

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
What homerism. I said that I would be very pleased if thye went 7-9, I think 5-11 is realistic but so is 7-9.

no one has said he will be an all pro this year. he was one of the most sacked qb's last year btw due to ****** o line, lack of experience. he can only get better i think.

once again no one said he would be a top 5-10 RB in the game

Have they traded him yet? He is still on the team and Bowe and Gonzo were one of the best tandems yards and receptions wise last year on such a ****** team. For now he is still on the team

Branden Albert has a bright future he is a stud LT. They have Waters and Goff and some other jamokes. Their o line is not great but can only get better.

They have a young defense that had no sakcs..no one said they would be the Ravens D this year

Better coaching, better philosophy, new regime

So what were you saying? No one has said that they will be 11-5. They were 2-14 with 10 loses within 10 points last year. I think they lost on the last drive in 4 games. So i think the change of philosophy and regime and some better coaching and a solid draft gets them another 4-6 wins. But it's to hard to tell right now and too early..but no one has said that they will be 16-0.

All I have to say is that you can't really predict how difficult the transition to a new D is going to be, not to mention a new quarterback and coach.

PLUS the player they get at #3 this year is going to be a big part of the Chiefs season one way or another. I do think the Chiefs future is very bright but think they maaaaaay just be in for a tough year this year. What's up with abandoning Glenn Dorsey's future?

jth1331
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM

I was responding to these quotes:
I think Cassel will be even better than he was last year. When people talk about him, they act like what he did with the pats was his ceiling. This guy is a Brady clone and works his tail off and prepares harder than anyone. He will get better: people forget, he was effectively a rookie last year.

My faith in the chiefs is based on my faith in Cassel, obviously they have a tough schedule but the difference between Wins and Losses in the NFL is when you have a poised, confident quarterback who can get you that crucial 3rd down conversion in the 4th quarter, and cassel can do that. So many NFL games are decided by one crucial play at the end of the game. The NFL has more parity than you think and the Chiefs will be able to compete with the likes of Baltimore, SD, and similar Sub-Elite teams. They might lay some eggs along the way but I think 8-8 is definitely a reasonable goal, and that might be enough to win the AFC west.

They're gonna be able to get a Franchise LT at #3, and paired with Brandon Albert, Gonzo, Bowe, and LJ (assuming he gets his head on straight), even without Boldin, that offense is gonna click.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with #3, unless someteam falls in love with Sanchez and doesn't think he'll make it past 4, I don't see them being able to trade that pick. I think they have to go OT because of the contract size for a #3, which I think will be a good value/need pick for the chiefs.

The Chiefs have a lot more talent on their roster than people realize. They have systems in-place to make the best possible use of that talent, and they have a whole draft to get even better. I reserve my official prediction on their record until after the draft, but the Chiefs are going to win a lot of games this year...at least 8.

that is homerism IMO.

Can't really say that about Albert, just like as much as I want to say Ryan Clady is going to be a stud LT, its still unknown after 1 year.
And I was referring to if Albert would be LT, and who would be RT because Albert is listed as an OG on the site.

I was saying some Chief fans have their red and yellow glasses on thinking this team is going to click on offense right away and win 8+ this year.
A lot hinges on potential and future events, and thats just unknown.