PDA

View Full Version : Possible surprise trades in the 1st round

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I think since this draft class has about 20-25 players with a 1st round grade I can see teams such as the Dolphins, Browns, Patriots (all with two 2nd round picks) and other wild card teams moving in the teens or early twenties to pick up a player they highly covet.

Malcolm Jenkins:
If the Saints are on the clock and Jenkins is still on the board at 14 I think the Patriots, Browns, and possibly the Phins can make a move up for the OSU standout. The Saints would love to trade down since they have 4 total picks in this draft and they can still pick up a Vontae Davis, Darius Butler, Beanie Wells later in the 1st round.

Heyward-Bey:
Now let's say that the Jets decide to trade for Quinn or take Josh Freeman with the 17th pick. That leaves the possibility of DHB falling into the 20s. Teams that need a deep threat such as Oakland (if they decide to go defense first), possibly Jacksonville or Minnesota.

Everette Brown:
I don't know which of the DEs will fall come draft day but my money will be on Brown. Teams desperately needing a DE might take a chance on the former Seminole. Aaron Maybin can also be a possibility.

Just throwing some ideas out there, thoughts?

P.S. Who do you guys think will drop in the 1st round?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-19-2009, 05:44 PM
How about all the rumors linking Washington to Mark Sanchez? If the idea that they are willing to be upwardly mobile for the kid and you pair that with the distinct possibility that Kansas City would be willing to move down for a lowered price into the 10-15 range for a chance to snag either Tyson Jackson or Everette Brown, you have a potentially huge trade.

Realistically, from what we hear of Seattle's and Cleveland's intent towards Sanchez, if the Redskins want him, they'd probably have to talk with Kansas City.

Smokey Joe
04-19-2009, 05:55 PM
If the Browns trade Quinn, I definitely could see them trade up to pick no. 3 and pick up Sanchez.

I could also see either the Jets or Bucs trading up for Freeman.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 05:55 PM
How about all the rumors linking Washington to Mark Sanchez? If the idea that they are willing to be upwardly mobile for the kid and you pair that with the distinct possibility that Kansas City would be willing to move down for a lowered price into the 10-15 range for a chance to snag either Tyson Jackson or Everette Brown, you have a potentially huge trade.

Realistically, from what we hear of Seattle's and Cleveland's intent towards Sanchez, if the Redskins want him, they'd probably have to talk with Kansas City.

But that is not much a surprise at least in my eyes.
Same goes for Denver linking with B.J Raji.

StorminNorman
04-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I think the Jets will trade up for Freeman.

Trading up from the Second Round that is. Perhaps up to 20.

proshoota25
04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
nice thread. and i agree with you, this might be the first year in which the patriots trade up in the first round to get someone. The three targets I could see new england trading up for...... 1. Rey Maualuga 2. Everette Brown 3. Malcolm Jenkins

Smokey Joe
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I could see the pats trading up for Oher if he falls past the top 10.

proshoota25
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I could see the pats trading up for Oher if he falls past the top 10.

dont see it. patriots have drafted just two offensive linemen in the first two rounds since 2001. soooo chances are, absolutely not lol

Cicero
04-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Here's one I've thought of. If Chris Wells falls into the twenties the Seahawks trade up into the first round to get him.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Here's a thought....Freeman falls...and Arizona trades up to get him. Just a crazy thought, don't think the chances are too high of it happening but it would be pretty damn interesting.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Here's a thought....Freeman falls...and Arizona trades up to get him. Just a crazy thought, don't think the chances are too high of it happening but it would be pretty damn interesting.

This would make sense especially if Boldin is dealt, leaving them with the two 1st round picks. But they're going to fight with the Jets and Bucs for that pick.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Here's one I've thought of. If Chris Wells falls into the twenties the Seahawks trade up into the first round to get him.

Does Seattle still run a WCO now that Holmgren is gone?
They do need a RB badly, Julius Jones and T.J Duckett?! That's laughable.

TACKLE
04-19-2009, 07:06 PM
This would make sense especially if Boldin is dealt, leaving them with the two 1st round picks. But they're going to fight with the Jets and Bucs for that pick.

"This makes sense"? Are you kidding me?!?! That's one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while. I don't know if you're aware but the Cardinals have a former Top 10 named Matt Leinart who is WAY better than Josh Freeman. Although Leinart hasn't taken hold of the starting spot, he is playing behind a future HoF QB. The Cards have zero interest in Josh Freeman let alone a team who would trade up to get him.

Arizona is a possible team to trade up. I could definitely see them trading up with the Lions to get Beanie/Knoshown and the Lions could stockpile more needed picks.

If Maclin falls into the teens, I could see Baltimore (if they don't get Boldin) trading up to get him. He could be the big play threat they need.

Also, Buffalo may want to trade its 28th pick to jump ahead of the Eagles so they can take Pettigrew.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Yeah. I'm sure Tampa would love to have Leinart though...Leinart+2nd round pick for #19?

TACKLE
04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah. I'm sure Tampa would love to have Leinart though...Leinart+2nd round pick for #19?

Leinart fits Arizona's offense much better than Freeman does.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Leinard sucks donkey balls. Put a BUST sticker on his face since you don't see it. Leinard WAY better than Freeman? How do you know that?

the decider13
04-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Denver trading up for Raji is something I definately think will happen, and I definately support, especially if it is only to like 8 so we don't have to give up a 2nd rounder.

EDIT: Dude above me must not have seen much of Matt Leinart. That's like saying Michael Turner sucked because he was backing up LT.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't think Leinart has much value to be honest. He's a career backup from a big program that doesn't have the arm to succeed as a starter a la Chris Simms.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Leinart fits Arizona's offense much better than Freeman does.

Then I guess it would be a surprise trade then..

stephenson86
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
tennessee trade out of the first

ChiefMojo
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
I think it is safe to say the Chiefs are extremely willing to trade back. To be honest, I think that is what Pioli is hoping for. I think the Chiefs would love to get possibly two 1st rounders or at least a 2nd rounder and possibly a couple more picks.

SaintsMan
04-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I would cry while throwing up if we traded down with Jenkins on the board. MJ should be a top 10 pick, would fill a huge need for the Saints and is a steal at 14.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 08:32 PM
I would cry while throwing up if we traded down with Jenkins on the board. MJ should be a top 10 pick, would fill a huge need for the Saints and is a steal at 14.

Doesn't it concern you that the Saints only have 4 picks in this draft though?
Isn't that an added incentive to trade down to gather more picks even with Jenkins talent level? Vontae Davis, Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith are all good consolation prizes.

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
"This makes sense"? Are you kidding me?!?! That's one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while. I don't know if you're aware but the Cardinals have a former Top 10 named Matt Leinart who is WAY better than Josh Freeman. Although Leinart hasn't taken hold of the starting spot, he is playing behind a future HoF QB. The Cards have zero interest in Josh Freeman let alone a team who would trade up to get him.

Arizona is a possible team to trade up. I could definitely see them trading up with the Lions to get Beanie/Knoshown and the Lions could stockpile more needed picks.

If Maclin falls into the teens, I could see Baltimore (if they don't get Boldin) trading up to get him. He could be the big play threat they need.

Also, Buffalo may want to trade its 28th pick to jump ahead of the Eagles so they can take Pettigrew.

If they do, that's not exactly the best tactical decision, since we are most likely not going to draft him in the first, not at 21 anyway.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
If they do, that's not exactly the best tactical decision, since we are most likely not going to draft him in the first, not at 21 anyway.
Neither with Moreno at 21 as well. I hope the Eagles trade down or take DHB or best Defensive Player Available, in that order.

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
EDIT: Dude above me must not have seen much of Matt Leinart. That's like saying Michael Turner sucked because he was backing up LT.

Now why did you have to go and make sense? lol

I think Leinart, once given the chance, will be a successful NFL QB. He has all of the measurables, and is a good leader on the field, it may take some time though...

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Now why did you have to go and make sense? lol

I think Leinart, once given the chance, will be a successful NFL QB. He has all of the measurables, and is a good leader on the field, it may take some time though...

Why did they originally sign Kurt Warner then? Not once but twice.
Leinart was ineffective with Denny Green under the helm. Wasn't he benched in favor of Warner on multiple occasions under Green? Am I wrong here? It was his job to lose and he lost it. Boo hoo.

eaglesalltheway
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Why did they originally sign Kurt Warner then? Not once but twice.
Leinart was ineffective with Denny Green under the helm.

He had very few games and had some very good performances, yes some bad ones, but he started some as a rookie and also as a second year player. All young QBs have a rough game or two.
He's completed over 55% of his passes, and has had 16 total TDs and 17 INTs. Sure those aren't great, but you get any young QB and those are at least repectable stats in your first 16 games started.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Damn I knew the trade was unlikely, I stated that when I posted the idea. I just imagined it would be something to discuss considering the name of this thread is SURPRISE trades in the first. I wouldn't like the move, I was a huge Leinart supporter when he was coming out. I'm just working the imagination a little bit.

rhamby8181
04-19-2009, 11:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Working on my last mock (1st with trades) and had Seattle trading up with Atlanta in order to get Chris Wells. Seattle needs to get a #1 RB and I really think the only need for Atlanta with someone available may end up being if they go TE, but I think they would rather trade back and add picks.

Another one I could see happening, even though they don't usually trade up, is the Bears may try to trade up a bit earlier in Rd 2. Their biggest need by far is WR and I see at least 2 or maybe even 3 guys projected in round 1 to fall between picks 35-40. I know other than their comp picks they are short on tradable picks in order to move up, but Angelo and Smith are getting toward that point where they are going to have to be looking over their shoulders if they don't do something soon.

TheMolecularMan
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Working on my last mock (1st with trades) and had Seattle trading up with Atlanta in order to get Chris Wells. Seattle needs to get a #1 RB and I really think the only need for Atlanta with someone available may end up being if they go TE, but I think they would rather trade back and add picks.

Another one I could see happening, even though they don't usually trade up, is the Bears may try to trade up a bit earlier in Rd 2. Their biggest need by far is WR and I see at least 2 or maybe even 3 guys projected in round 1 to fall between picks 35-40. I know other than their comp picks they are short on tradable picks in order to move up, but Angelo and Smith are getting toward that point where they are going to have to be looking over their shoulders if they don't do something soon.

The more I think about it, I think the Seahawks would want to keep their picks since they have a new regime and have a lot of needs. Greg Knapp is now the new offensive coordinator in Seattle so a one cut running back would be suffice in the 3rd round (Shonn Greene).

I think come draft day the Bears might have to trade up out of necessity but I would not be surprised if a Robiskie falls to 49.