PDA

View Full Version : HS Basketball Stars who didn't pan out

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I was flipping through some of my NCAA basketball magazines today and was looking at the recruiting pages, so I thought I would start a thread to see what happened to some of these high school stars. If anyone can say anything about any of these guys, or feels like I have missed a few please feel free to add people.

Glendon Alexander, Smith HS (TX)
Jerald Brown, Aldine HS (TX)
Ronnie Fields, Farragut HS (IL)
Charles Hathaway, Hillwood HS (TN)
Winfred Walton, Pershing HS (MI)

Chris Burgess, Woodbridge HS (CA)
Anthony Perry, St. Anthony's HS (NJ)
Edwin Daniels, Cohen HS (LA)

Ray Young, St. Joseph's HS (CA)
Ronald Blackshear, Mitchell Baker HS (GA)
Kevin Lyde, Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)
Douglas Wrenn, O'Dea HS (WA)
Jeff Boschee, Valley City HS (ND)

Jason Gardner, North Central HS (IN)
Tony Robertson, St. Andrew's HS (RI)
Brent Darby, River Rouge HS (MI)
Jason Parker, Charlotte West HS (NC)
LaVell Blanchard, Pioneer HS (MI)

Taliek Brown, St. John's HS (NY)
Andre Barrett, Rice HS (NY)
Rolando Howell, Lower Richland HS (SC)
Imari Sawyer, King HS (IL)

Jonathan Hargrett, Emmanuel HS (NC)
Carlos Hurt, Moore HS (KY)
Aaron Miles, Jefferson HS (OR)
Rashaad Carruth, Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)

Evan Burns, Fairfax HS (CA)
Brandon Heath, Westchester HS (CA)
Sani Ibrahim, Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)

Sean Banks, Bergen Catholic HS (NJ)
Brandon Cotton, St. Martin DePorres HS (MI)
Olu Fautimi, Northwestern HS (MI)
Tack Minor, Heritage Christian HS (TX)
Mike Jones, Thayer Academy HS (MA)

Brian Johnson, Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)
Mike Williams, Wilcox Central HS (AL)
Jawann McClellan, Milby HS (TX)

Jamal Boykin, Fairfax HS (CA)
Keith Brumbaugh, DeLand HS (FL)
Andre McGee, Canyon Springs HS (CA)
Bryan Harvey, Dominguez HS (CA)
Kevin Swinton, Dudley HS (NC)
Magnum Rolle, Laurinburg Prep HS (NC)
Mike Mercer, South Gwinnett HS (GA)

Derrick Caracter, St. Patrick's HS (NJ)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/ousmane_cisse.html?nav=ArticleList

Ousmane Cisse. Entered the 01 NBA draft out of HS. Averaged 29 points, 16 rebounds and 12 blocked shots as a senior. Selected 47th, never played. Bounced around for a while, played USBL, NBDL, and now he's in Israel.

http://www.eurobasket.com/AcPhotos_Players/Cisse_Ousmane.jpg

JHG722
04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Ray Young, St. Joseph's HS (CA)
Ronald Blackshear, Mitchell Baker HS (GA)
Kevin Lyde, Oak Hill Academy HS (VA)
Douglas Wrenn, O'Dea HS (WA)
Jeff Boschee, Valley City HS (ND)

Damn, man, Kevin Lyde was one of the best recruits we ever got :(

Averaged 9 points and 8 rebounds, which wasn't great for a top recruit. Still had a decent career, but should've brought our recruiting to the top.

scottyboy
04-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Caracter was such an animal in high school. Dude flat out destroyed everyone

M.O.T.H.
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Ndudi Ebi

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1004/37422.jpg

TheBuffaloBills
04-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Mike Jones, Thayer Academy HS (MA)

As in the rapper?

JHG722
04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
As in the rapper?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jones_(basketball)

Second best basketball game I ever went to was us upsetting Mike Jones and UMD. I actually sat behind his parents that game.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
How about legends like Lenny Cooke and Deangelo Collins??? Both are legendary high school players. Cooke has had a very unfortunate life as has Collins to an extent.

cdub11
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Lester Earl 1996
Korleone Young 1998

PalmerToCJ
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Rashaad Carruth was an absolute headcase. Guy had to transfer his freshman year, I think he ended up at Southern Mississippi or something.

Mike Mercer for Georgia was actually pretty good but screwed up off the court, got kicked off the team and I haven't heard about him since.

YAYareaRB
04-19-2009, 11:48 PM
I wasn't too shabby in HS.

art vandelay
04-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Greg Paulus
Paul Harris

Matthew Jones
04-20-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/ousmane_cisse.html?nav=ArticleList

Ousmane Cisse. Entered the 01 NBA draft out of HS. Averaged 29 points, 16 rebounds and 12 blocked shots as a senior. Selected 47th, never played. Bounced around for a while, played USBL, NBDL, and now he's in Israel.

http://www.eurobasket.com/AcPhotos_Players/Cisse_Ousmane.jpg

Sounds like a total beast in high school. Was the Carruth guy in here related to Rae?

JRTPlaya21
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Carracter will be at UNLV in the fall.

captainjack27
04-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Magnum Rolle, Laurinburg Prep HS (NC)

Man that's an epic name.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Charles Hathaway went to my high school. They still have his jersey retired and hanging in the gym.

We also have a 7'2 former center now at UTC who averages a whopping 1pt, .8 rbs per game as a RS Sophmore.

adschofield
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
WTF...Jeff Boschee was the **** at Kansas...Honestly, he had the best 3 point stroke I have ever seen. He signed my shoe when I was at a Kansas basketball camp. He was a pretty good college player.

P-L
04-20-2009, 12:27 PM
What about Dajuan Wagner? Guy was a beast in high school. He holds the New Jersey state scoring record, scored 100 points in a game, and averaged 42.5 points per game as a senior. He was drafted 6th overall by Cleveland after 1 year in college and never found success in the NBA. He's now playing in Poland.

Notredameleo
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't say that Andre McGee didn't pan out. He was the starting guard, and the best defender on a great defensive team in Louisville. Arguably the best defender in basketball last year for the number one overall seed in the tournament. He will not get drafted probably, but i wouldn't say he didn't pan out!

SeanTaylorRIP
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
What about Dajuan Wagner? Guy was a beast in high school. He holds the New Jersey state scoring record, scored 100 points in a game, and averaged 42.5 points per game as a senior. He was drafted 6th overall by Cleveland after 1 year in college and never found success in the NBA. He's now playing in Poland.

Yeah but he was a monster his only year at Memphis averaging 20+, he also averaged over 13 ppg his rookie season. Unfortunately for him his sickness happened and he had to have his entire colon taken out. He really hasn't been the same basketball player since. He could have had a Ben Gordon type career. BTW Mike Jones from Maryland is a definite huge bust. He was supposed to be the next Ray Allen. Also you can add to that list Vernon Macklin of Georgetown. BTW he won't do anything at Florida either. You can't use your athleticism and length as a way to hide you have no basketball skills on the college level.

JHG722
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Ugh. When I was younger, all they would talk about on CSN was Wagner.

etk
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Why is Taliek Brown on this list. He was a solid PG for UConn....the heart and soul of our NC team.

tjsunstein
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Ugh. When I was younger, all they would talk about on CSN was Wagner.

Always happens to local products.
There was this one guy, Lebron James. Ever heard of him? Meh.
Martell Webster.
Kwame Brown.

Bosanac01
04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Mike Mercer for Georgia was actually pretty good but screwed up off the court, got kicked off the team and I haven't heard about him since.

He messed his knee up really bad. I was acutally watching that game, and i believe it was his last. He was a 6'4 shooting guard who would have faired very well in the NBA draft, but the knee injury is what really ****** him up. Then he had some off field issues, just like a lot of student-athletes at ******* UGA do.

yo123
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
How did Andre Barrett and Jason Gardner not pan out?

M.O.T.H.
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah both were very good college ball players.