PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Comparison Feature

Scott Wright
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I just made my annual Prospect Comparison feature live!

You can check it out via the main page:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/

the decider13
04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I like a lot of them...except for Derrick Williams=Eddie Royal. I just see Royal as a more polished receiver. DHB=Williamson is a rough one, but I saw it coming haha

Don Vito
04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Great stuff.

Matthew Jones
04-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Awesome, I was hoping you'd make this this year.

B-Dawk
04-19-2009, 09:49 PM
pettigrew screams heath miller to me

America
04-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find the prospect comparison link on the main page, or anywhere.

TheBuffaloBills
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find the prospect comparison link on the main page, or anywhere.

You should be able to just click the "Read more", and it will direct you to the page.

I also like the Bobby Carpenter to Cushing comparison. IMO, they are very similar players.

Halsey
04-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I still see the team needs feature linked from the front page...

edit: ok, right after posting this I checked again and the team needs feature was linked, but still showing Martin Mayhew's picture.

Scott Wright
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
If you don't see the new main page story try refreshing your browsers.

Halsey
04-19-2009, 09:56 PM
If you don't see the new main page story try refreshing your browsers.

It's acting weird for me. I see team needs, then go back and see prospect comparisons with Mayhew's picture, go back again and see team needs up again. Computers are weird.

LookItsAlDavis
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Is this comparing them prospect to prospect or how you think they could turn out?

BamaFalcon59
04-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Not a big fan of the offensive comparisons.

I like the defensive end comparisons a lot, though.

Vox Populi
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Just clear your cookies or cache and you should get the right image.

wonderbredd24
04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Everette Brown - Kamerion Wimbley?

About the only thing they have in common is the position and the school.

romo4prez415
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Lol at the Crabtree and Brandon Marshall comparison. Marshall is alot taller and bigger and has the speed to seperate down the field. I'd say he compares more to Dwayne Bowe at best and could turnout to be Rashaun Woods.

holt_bruce81
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Coffman - Klopfenstein? BLAH I'm praying Coffman is a better NFL player than that piece of garbage.

EarthWindandFire
04-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Brandon Marshall is 6'4", drops a LOT of passes, doesn't score as much as he should, and has serious character issues. His biggest asset is RAC ability to complement his size and intensity. Michael Crabtree is 6'1", catches everything, is a TD machine, and by all accounts, is a good kid. His biggest attribute is the fact that he is a polished all around good reciever. Both are very good players, but I don't see a Crabtree to Marshall comparison as a good one. I'm thinking more along the lines of a rich man's version of Antonio Bryant, who showed what kind of weapon he was this year BTW.

PACKmanN
04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
I really do not see the Brown and Wimbley comparison. Wimbley was, and still is, extremely raw and doesn't really dominate as a pass rusher like Brown does, nor does he have the moves or hands to do what Brown does.

Also Shawn Nelson to Carlson? meh, Nelson doesn't have Carlson blocking abilities and Carlson isn't as athletic as Nelson is.

85BearFan
04-20-2009, 01:42 AM
I was hoping for a Louis Murphy comparison with a more established pro. Don't know much about Murphy, but I'm intrigued by your analysis of him as well as the measurables. Good work regardless...

TonyGfortheTD
04-20-2009, 02:16 AM
The BJ Raji comparison to Vince Wilfork caught my eye the most.

DiG
04-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm so sick and F'in tired of the DHB to Troy Williamson. They both have elite timed speed but thats it! It's a ridiculously overplayed comparison otherwise. DHB is much stronger than Williamson, a much better blocker, has a better work ethic/characther/attitude. And most importantly his hands arent BRICKS. Troy Williamson had one route in college and that was deep and he can't catch a cold. DHB's hands aren't necessarily his biggest strength but they arent his glaring weakness either. He catches the ball well and is fairly consistent but not necessarily great yet. I think he compares much more to Javon Walker as a prospect.

superman
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
i probably would have switched the sanchez/ryan and stafford/cutler comparisons

DiG
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
i probably would have switched the sanchez/ryan and stafford/cutler comparisons

i think the stafford/cutler is right on. same one i have in my comparisons but sanchez imo is more aaron rodgers like than matt ryan. not quite as big an arm as rodgers but otherwise very similar.

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm going to have to agree with some of the guys here in that I didn't see the Crabtree-Marshall comparison coming.

I've been saying since during the college season that I think Crabtree is like a mini-Fitzgerald. I think he's about 1 notch below Fitz all across the board, like he's a little shorter, little smaller, little slower game-speed wise, etc, but still a very good prospect.

I think I'd also compare Stephen McGee to more of a Jeff Garcia than a McCown....not quite as sure on that one though.

wicket
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I like almost all of them but the quinn johnson- Le'Ron McClain comparison I just didnt see. They look allike physically somewhat but thats all imo

Abaddon
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I know it'd be too much work to be worth the trouble, but having points of comparisons for each player would be pretty sweet. Like, what is it about Crabtree's game that screams "Brandon Marshall", etc.

derza222
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Crabtree I think compares more to Boldin or Bowe than Brandon Marshall, but maybe that's just me. I think Britt to Edwards is solid though, I remember asking you what you thought of that comparison in one of your chats. Also kind of like Moreno to Thomas Jones better than Brown but I could see where you'd get both.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I honestly can't see the Portis comparison for Shady at all. I do like many of the others though.

romo4prez415
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I honestly can't see the Portis comparison for Shady at all. I do like many of the others though.

Neither can I. Its not even close.

yourfavestoner
04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Neither can I. Its not even close.

Remember, coming out of Miami, Portis was an undersized speed back who went in the second round. He was only like 205 coming out. He's didn't really pack on weight until he got traded to Washington, where he knew he was going to have to pound the rock inside in Joe Gibbs' counter trey system.

phlysac
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I think I'd also compare Stephen McGee to more of a Jeff Garcia than a McCown....not quite as sure on that one though.

I'm prepared for the hate mail but Stephen McGee reminds me of Alex Smith.

Not that I think McGee will struggle the way Smith has. They just have similar styles, skills, and physiology.

jth1331
04-20-2009, 08:15 PM
To say Crabtree is a good kid, you know nothing. I know a couple people who went to Tech and they said he was cocky, arrogant and only cared about doing well to advance to the NFL to cash his paycheck.

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
To say Crabtree is a good kid, you know nothing. I know a couple people who went to Tech and they said he was cocky, arrogant and only cared about doing well to advance to the NFL to cash his paycheck.

No, if he did those things, he'd be a great kid. In today's NFL, simply making it to draft day without having been arrested a few times qualifies you as a "good kid."

Smokey Joe
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't get the Crabtree-Marshall comparison. If anything, I think Marshall is a much better comparison for Britt.

BamaFalcon59
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
While I do, like I said, agree with some comparisons, I don't see the point in them. Good comparisons are hard to come by and generally never come out correctly.

Just evaluate the prospect as a player himself.

Not sure if any of this post made any sense.

LonghornsLegend
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't get the Andre Brown - Derrick Ward comparison at all, he looks like Brandon Jacobs all over again to me, Derrick Ward is much more of a scat back then Andre is.

billsfootball15
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
i think DHB would be offended, haha. as a bills fan, i can say that it is not a compliment saying that paul kruger is like chris kelsay.

Smokey Joe
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't see the Donald Brown-Thomas Jones comparison at all as well. I think a better comparison for Ward would actually be Donald Brown.

phlysac
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't get the Andre Brown - Derrick Ward comparison at all, he looks like Brandon Jacobs all over again to me, Derrick Ward is much more of a scat back then Andre is.

Do you mean "looks like" in a style of play sense? If you mean it in a physical appearance and body type sense, I'd have to disagree by 4 inches and 40 pounds...

Brandon Jacobs - 6'4" - 264lbs.
Andre Brown - 6'0" - 224lbs.

I see a very physical runner when I watch Andre Brown but I see him as a little more versatile than Brandon Jacobs. Somewhere in between Marion Barber and Fred Taylor.

GhostDeini
04-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Maclin=Holt
Bey=Plax
Cushing=Carpenter
Orakpo=Suggs
Moreno=Portis
Sanchez=Alex Smith
A.Smith=Larry Allen...except at Tackle
J.Smith=D'Brick
Matthews=Matt Roth

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 12:56 AM

I don't see how being cocky and arrogant makes you a bad person. Annoying maybe, not necessarily bad. And aren't we all in college to do well and move on to careers that we love/get paid well for?

hagy34
04-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I like the Harvin to Bush comparison. That's why I think Harvin is going to be such a steal.....a player like this at #2 overall is a reach, but in the mid twenties is great.

superman
04-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Maclin=Holt
Bey=Plax
Cushing=Carpenter
Orakpo=Suggs
Moreno=Portis
Sanchez=Alex Smith
A.Smith=Larry Allen
J.Smith=D'Brick
Matthews=Matt Roth

larry allen minus 30 bench reps = a smith

suggs is a better player, but not a physical freak like orak. maybe maybin.

Geo
04-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm so sick and F'in tired of the DHB to Troy Williamson. They both have elite timed speed but thats it! It's a ridiculously overplayed comparison otherwise. DHB is much stronger than Williamson, a much better blocker, has a better work ethic/characther/attitude. And most importantly his hands arent BRICKS. Troy Williamson had one route in college and that was deep and he can't catch a cold. DHB's hands aren't necessarily his biggest strength but they arent his glaring weakness either. He catches the ball well and is fairly consistent but not necessarily great yet. I think he compares much more to Javon Walker as a prospect.
I think comparing Heyward-Bey to Williamson and Robert Meachem is flawed, because unlike those two, Heyward-Bey actually has a brain.

Woody56
04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
before i opened the page i knew every white guy would be compared to another white guy. its so stupid.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Everette Brown-Dwight Freeney
Chris Wells-Jamal Lewis
Robert Ayers-Osi Umenyiora
Michael Johnson-Mark Anderson