PDA

View Full Version : current most loved/hated coach in NFL?

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't mean nationally, I mean by hometown fans.

For "hated" I'm going to guess the Vikings. I've never read or heard a Vikings fan say anything positive about the guy. Marvin Lewis and Wade Phillips might be up there too.

For "loved" I would guess Mike Tomlin. He brought a SB to Pittsburgh during his tenure a lot sooner than The Chin and just seems like a likable guy.

Gay Ork Wang
04-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Josh McDaniels?

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
In no order:

Hated: McDaniels, Phillips or Childress.
Loved: Singletary, Tomlin, Harbaugh or M. Smith.

cdub11
04-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Most hated Jason Garrett

vikes_28
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes. Indeed I do hate Childress. I wish Tomlin was the Vikings HC. So Tomlin is very loved.

marshallb
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I have to agree on Childress. I think almost everyone hates him. I would also agree on loved and say Tomlin, if Dungy hadn't retired, I'd go with him.

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I have to agree on Childress. I think almost everyone hates him. I would also agree on loved and say Tomlin, if Dungy hadn't retired, I'd go with him.

Universally Dungy was probably one of if not the most liked coach of all time. He probably would've been my pick if he was still the coach in Indy.

wicket
04-20-2009, 09:09 AM
with hated you can put in every eagles coach that had a year where he didnt win the sb ;)

SimonRath
04-20-2009, 09:24 AM
The Falcons coach (Mike Smith) seems like a really liked guy

senormysterioso
04-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I've never had a strong feeling one way or the other about Mike McCarthy. I remember the Packers interviewed Sean Payton right before him and I was hoping that we would hire him, but we also interviewed Childress I think...so it could be worse.

LizardState
04-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Candidates for the Bum Phillips Award -- Loved :
Mike Smith -- Love happens when you bring your team into the playoffs from near death with your former QB in a Federal pen
Jeff Fisher -- 100% Class act
John Fox -- Nicest guy in the NFL, a league not noted for even remotely nice guys

Candidates for the Marty Schottenheimer Award -- Hated:
Coughlin -- Still thinks he's coaching in college or maybe HS, same techniques; almost had a locker room mutiny 3 yrs. ago
Mangini -- You don't win friends in your new NFL city by trading away the talent core of the freaking franchise!
McDaniel -- Has his seat warmed up for him to medium-to-hot temperature & has yet to get his 1st W or L as a HC
Cable -- Al Davis' latest kissass lapdog

Jury is still out on:
Wade Phillips -- All Dallas fans know who's pulling the puppet strings there
Bill Bellichick -- Even some NE homers feel shame at Bellicheat, when they comment on winning SBs by cheating on South Park, what does that say?
Mike Singletary -- Was just a placeholder in SF until he mooned the players & solidified them into a team again, maybe a rah-rah, kickass kind of HC is just what the 9ers need

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Fans of the other NFC North teams LOVE Brad Childress and hope like hell that he stays on as the Vikings head coach for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever..........................

AntoinCD
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I really dont Belichick should be anywhere near that list by patriots fans, other teams yea they hate him but as for patriots fans if you had him near the top of most loved then youd be closer. Not speaking for anyone else here but i couldnt care less how nice a guy he is as long as he puts the team in a position to win. Thats what coaches are there for

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Jeff Fisher is quite loved by almost everyone around here.

CroomDawgs
04-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Jeff Fisher for most loved- Very classy, well liked by his team, fans, and other teams around the league

Bill Belichek for most hated- Accused of cheating, not very graceful in defeat.

the decider13
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't hate McDaniels yet, but he has the potential to be the most hated of all time.

LookItsAlDavis
04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Candidates for the Bum Phillips Award -- Loved :
Mike Smith -- Love happens when you bring your team into the playoffs from near death with your former QB in a Federal pen
Jeff Fisher -- 100% Class act
John Fox -- Nicest guy in the NFL, a league not noted for even remotely nice guys

Coughlin -- Still thinks he's coaching in college or maybe HS, same techniques; almost had a locker room mutiny 3 yrs. ago
McDaniel -- Has his seat warmed up for him to medium-to-hot temperature & has yet to get his 1st W or L as a HC
Cable -- Al Davis' latest kissass lapdog

Jury is still out on:
Bill Bellichick -- Even some NE homers feel shame at Bellicheat, when they comment on winning SBs by cheating on South Park, what does that say?
Mike Singletary -- Was just a placeholder in SF until he mooned the players & solidified them into a team again, maybe a rah-rah, kickass kind of HC is just what the 9ers need

You'd be suprised at how many Oakland fans like Cable...Also, I don't see how many people in New York can hate Coughlin considering he won the Super Bowl two years ago and had a damn good team this year till Plaxico capped himself.

FlyingElvis
04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
My number one for each is right in line w/OP - Tomlin & Chilly.

Honorable mention: Fisher & Smith

Not-so-Honorable mention: McDaniels & Coughlin (not sure how much the fans hate him, though - he did bring a trophy home.)

I really dont Belichick should be anywhere near that list by patriots fans, other teams yea they hate him but as for patriots fans if you had him near the top of most loved then youd be closer. Not speaking for anyone else here but i couldnt care less how nice a guy he is as long as he puts the team in a position to win. Thats what coaches are there for

I agree. Disappointment with his attitude and decisions regarding spygate* does not equal hate. I, too, could not care any less about how warm and fuzzy the guy is as long as he continues to lead the franchise to success.

(can the media please, please, please stop attching the word 'gate' to everything??)

Menardo75
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I already hate McDaniels. Love Fisher, and Singletary.

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I know, as a Bears fan, that Lovie can come off a little doofy but I always thought he was still pretty highly respected....a little surprised there isn't much love for him here.

Addict
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Mangini getting no hate votes so far is kinda surprising to me.

ccB
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Vandermark,%20Brett/Random%20photos/harbaugh.widec.jpg

<3

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Mangini getting no hate votes so far is kinda surprising to me.

He hasn't done enough to make Cleveland hate him yet has he? Or is the Winslow/possibly Edwards stuff bad enough?

TitleTown088
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
My most loved is Brad Childress. Chilly: Inventor of the prevent offense.

BeerBaron
04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
He hasn't done enough to make Cleveland hate him yet has he? Or is the Winslow/possibly Edwards stuff bad enough?

Winslow/Possibly Edwards/Possibly Quinn....

They had a good, young nucleus but if they ship all of those guys out, they'll have what....Joe Thomas still? Yikes.

Addict
04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

he coached for the Jets too, I figured that counts as well.

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Winslow/Possibly Edwards/Possibly Quinn....

They had a good, young nucleus but if they ship all of those guys out, they'll have what....Joe Thomas still? Yikes.

True that, but I don't actually think Quinn will go anywhere. If they get rid of him AND Edwards AND Winslow then Mangina deserves all the hate he gets.

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
A lot of middle-aged women in Tennessee have the hots for Coach Fisher...

I mean a lot of women.

(I think it's the 'stache, personally)

HawkeyeFan
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
LOVED

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9223/spagnuolo.jpg

Hated = Josh McDaniels and Mike McCarthy

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 02:59 PM

I mean a lot of women.

Saw him at a movie theater in Nashville this past Winter break with a smokin' hot blonde on his arm.

Paul
04-20-2009, 03:07 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07x81cHdEh568/610x.jpg

How could you not like this guy. I mean that stache is top shelf stuff.

ccB
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
LOVED

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9223/spagnuolo.jpg

Hated = Josh McDaniels and Mike McCarthy

How can you love Spags already when he hasn't even coached your team in one game yet?

HawkeyeFan
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
How can you love Spags already when he hasn't even coached your team in one game yet?
The way he's shaping up the roster, the things he's saying, the actions he's making. The attitude he's put into our organization, the hope he brings.

That's how.

GB12
04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Hated = Mike McCarthy
Umm, what?

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Saw him at a movie theater in Nashville this past Winter break with a smokin' hot blonde on his arm.

The smokin' hot girl for his other arm must've been parking the car. ;)

Seriously, I think his wife is a blonde tho. Either way, go Fish!

HawkeyeFan
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Umm, what?
Hated by me of course.

Malaka
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Before Tom Coughlin won the Super Bowl I hated his guts and wanted him fired, since then we have been successful so I have no reason to complain, I am happy with him... for now.

LizardState
04-20-2009, 03:46 PM
You'd be suprised at how many Oakland fans like Cable...Also, I don't see how many people in New York can hate Coughlin considering he won the Super Bowl two years ago and had a damn good team this year till Plaxico capped himself.

Isn't it physically impossible to work for Al Davis without being a lapdog or kissing his posterior? You may have to give him spongebaths too, read the fine print in your contract ...lol.:) I was chatting with a newspaper sportswriter whose beat was the Raiders & asked when the long-awaited ownership change will happen & thing improve "b/c they can't get any worse," Al's epitaph (will Al hand it off to his son) They'll Get the Ownership Certificate When they Pry Al's Cold Dead Hand Off It..........:mad:

As for Coughlin, he saved himself with the SB win that Tyree's miracle catch won for him, Giant players were lining up on the right & coming out of retirement to diss him. I watched him singlehandedly lose games for them by radioing in bad plays for Eli. And ask the J-ville Jags fans how he did there in his 1st NFL gig, some of the lawsuits may still be in court now. Coughlin is not a "Player's Coach."

Fisher is probably the most popular coach for just about everyone in teh NFL now, I know Jerry Jones has stated over & over that he's the guy he wanted before hiring Phillips & a couple of times since, JJ wants Fisher like a sailor on shore leave wants a cheap hooker.

YAYareaRB
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I love Mike Singletary. I don't think the 49ers have ever had a coach quite like him. We tend to get the more collected, self motivating coaches.

On another note. The Bum Phillips award for most loved/respected coach is a great idea. I can't say I have ever met anyone that disliked Bum Phillips.

DoughBoy
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Fisher is probably the most popular coach for just about everyone in teh NFL now, I know Jerry Jones has stated over & over that he's the guy he wanted before hiring Phillips & a couple of times since, JJ wants Fisher like a sailor on shore leave wants a cheap hooker.

And Bud will make sure he never gets him. :)

BaLLiN
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
BB by other fans but hate is also respect in this case

Chucky
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I think Raheem Morris has the potential to be one of those coaches who is not only well liked in Tampa but by fans around the league

DeathbyStat
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Hate-Belichick

Love-Tomlin

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Morris could be like Mike Tomlin, being from the same defensive philosophy.

I know Jerry Jones has stated over & over that he's the guy he wanted before hiring Phillips & a couple of times since, JJ wants Fisher like a sailor on shore leave wants a cheap hooker.

Sure that wasn't Mike Shannahan? I can't remember Jones wanting Fisher...

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Charger fans always seem to have love/hate relationships with the coaches over the last decade. Marty was loved but couldn't win big games. Norv is hated but keeps pulling it off. It's a mystery, but he is now tied for most playoff wins by a coach in Bolt history. Le sigh.

yourfavestoner
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Isn't it physically impossible to work for Al Davis without being a lapdog or kissing his posterior? You may have to give him spongebaths too, read the fine print in your contract ...lol.:) I was chatting with a newspaper sportswriter whose beat was the Raiders & asked when the long-awaited ownership change will happen & thing improve "b/c they can't get any worse," Al's epitaph (will Al hand it off to his son) They'll Get the Ownership Certificate When they Pry Al's Cold Dead Hand Off It..........:mad:

As for Coughlin, he saved himself with the SB win that Tyree's miracle catch won for him, Giant players were lining up on the right & coming out of retirement to diss him. I watched him singlehandedly lose games for them by radioing in bad plays for Eli. And ask the J-ville Jags fans how he did there in his 1st NFL gig, some of the lawsuits may still be in court now. Coughlin is not a "Player's Coach."

To be honest, Coughlin was generally regarded as a very good football coach during his tenure in Jacksonville. His last season there was probably the best job he ever did in Jacksonville with a roster that was gutted by the salary cap and ravaged by injuries.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Morris could be like Mike Tomlin, being from the same defensive philosophy.

Sure that wasn't Mike Shannahan? I can't remember Jones wanting Fisher...

I think he's correct. I remember after Parcells retired and before they hired Phillips, there was talk that the Cowboys(Jerry Jones) were willing to give up two first rounders for him. Of course nothing ever came from it though.

Mr. Hero
04-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Jury is still out on:

Seriously? Not even going to get into how coughlin has really eased up and adjusted his coaching style the last two years, but you don't think that superbowl has earned him respect? I know we giants fans love the guy, and the players are really close with him as well, so I don't see who the hell hates him. To add insult to injury you add playoff joke wade phillips and his regularly soft and unprepared teams and think he's still on the fence? If i was a dallas fan I'd be very excited that next season it's finally over and they'll replace him with Shanny or the Chin.

BrownsTown
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Mangini sucks.

Go_Eagles77
04-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Loved - Andy Reid

Hated - Andy Reid

Addict
04-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Loved - Andy Reid

Hated - Andy Reid

all Ealges fans are Gollem?

Hines
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Love: Tomlin. Lebeau. Dungy(when coaching).

Hated: Bellicheat. Garrett. McDaniels.

Go_Eagles77
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Pretty much.

Bills2083
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
No mention of Dick Jauron in here for most hated?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/09/30/awards/dick-jauron-t2.jpg

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 07:32 PM

I think Andy throws it so much just because of the Ricky Williams booing debacle. Shut it fans, this is the NFL with no running game!

wogitalia
04-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Got to be Childress... Can't stand that beady eyed little piece of...

Tomlin and Belichek would be the most loved surely, along with probably Fisher.

killxswitch
04-21-2009, 07:29 AM

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/09/30/awards/dick-jauron-t2.jpg

Are there enough Bills fans for Dick Jauron to be hated?

:D

art vandelay
04-21-2009, 08:05 AM

Players love Jauron. I actually like him too.

The_Dude
04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Most Hated.... Hands Down

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/mrnoodle.jpg

Runner up???

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/20090324__mcdanielsp1.jpg

TitleTown088
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Most Hated.... Hands Down

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/nerickson_photo/mrnoodle.jpg

I think this is better.

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/7/568/17569_512x288_manicured__7KeYo4ZqAESMMLW+en3MkQ.jp g

Major dad. Who remembers that show?

Staubach12
04-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Jeff Fisher is quite loved by almost everyone around here.

Yeah, Nashville loves Fisher big time.

Sniper
04-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Loved - Andy Reid when he runs the ball roughly 50% of the time.

Hated - Andy Reid when he passes the ball roughly 80% of the time.

Fixed it for you.

Burger
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Love : Mike McCarthy, Belichek, Mangini, Coughlin, Fisher, Possibly Haley

Hate : Lovie Smith, Brad Childress, Andy Reid, McDaniels, Jauron, and..... Cable, that guy just sucks balloon shaped objects.

Thecollegedropout
04-22-2009, 12:13 AM

As a Jets fan, I love him

Love: Mike Singletary, Tom Coughlin, Rex Ryan(So far at least, he makes things very interesting)
Hate: Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Todd Haley(Seems like a punk from his ARI/DAL days but jury is still out on him being a HC)

IF Herm Edwards and Brian Billick were still Head Coaches they would be on the hate list too.

Staubach12
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM

I mean a lot of women.

Oh hell yes. Most of my friends' moms love him. My mom doesn't, which is weird. But a lot of teachers, too. Like my old Algebra teacher had a picture of him on her desk and everything.