PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young just gets it wrong...

D-Rod
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Even when he's trying really hard to say the right thing - and credit to him - he just doesn't quite get it right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4082898

"I am going to smile and shut up and continue being Vince Young, a happy smiling guy. I am not going to get into the hoopla any more because of the fact I can't win any more, I see."

This is a kind of accidental praeteritio (where you mention something by claiming to not mention it). Basically, he is saying that he is not going to moan, and then having a good old moan about how he just can't win because everything is turned against him.

"If they want me to sit on the sideline and be there to watch the game then that is OK with me, but at the same time I am getting my checks and I am fine."

I thought this guy's main appeal was supposed to be his competitive spirit? I really hope he doesn't actually mean that he's happy just picking up his check, whether he's playing or not - but that's what he's just said.

I quite like Young, but it's looking to me like he's lost his head, heart and balls all in one...

CroomDawgs
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
He did when he was at texas, but remember the whole saga from a year ago? The guy had a very bad response to being benched and its destroyed him mentally. The guy is not very mature

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
ahahahahahahha I love it. The less I see Vince Young playing the happier I am.

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
He'll never again be a full-time starter in the NFL. Much to my chagrin.

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Another Vince Young thread! Hadn't had one of these in a while! Where's Shiver?

Aside from dropping the 3rd person, I don't see anything wrong with his comments. He says he's gonna keep his mouth shut and work hard, which means he's lost his mind, heart, and testicular fortitude?

bigbluedefense
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I honestly think the coaching staff doesn't care anymore. Theyve already cut their losses with him.

They made their decision, and have already moved on. Props to Fisher for having the testicular fortitude to recognize the issue and nip it in the butt before letting it drag on for a couple more years.

Paul
04-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I had no problem with anything he said before this line.

If they want me to sit on the sideline and be there to watch the game then that is OK with me, but at the same time I am getting my checks and I am fine.

You never want to hear that from any player on your team, big or small. Pulling the old "Whatever I'm going to get paid anyways" bit will always be construed as lack of heart and dedication.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-20-2009, 11:51 AM
He's not even that good anyway

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
ahahahahahahha I love it. The less I see Vince Young playing the happier I am.

He's not even that good anyway

Stop trying to hide your love for VY, RWO! It'll tear ya from the inside out if ya hold it in for any longer! :D

Geo
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I wish he was still starting for the Titans.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I hate QB's that run the ball. I hated Vick and I hate VY.

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Me too Geo.

senormysterioso
04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I wish that somebody could hold the ESPN types that were calling out Casserly for taking Mario ahead of Vince and Reggie accountable. That was probably the best call in the recent history of the draft. The pressure that people were putting on him to take Bush or Young...good call Charlie.

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I wish that somebody could hold the ESPN types that were calling out Casserly for taking Mario ahead of Vince and Reggie accountable. That was probably the best call in the recent history of the draft. The pressure that people were putting on him to take Bush or Young...good call Charlie.

That was an awesome draft all together. Williams, Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels, and contributors in Charles Spencer, Wali Lundy, and David Anderson.

someone447
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
It's obvious that Young has some mental issues, I don't think it has anything to do with maturity. It's a shame that his career has gotten so derailed.

BRAVEHEART
04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
They should've picked my man Leinart, would've won them a SB by now.

tjsunstein
04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
This was so last year. Vince Young had his time.

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
It's obvious that Young has some mental issues, I don't think it has anything to do with maturity.

Based on what, exactly? :confused:

BlindSite
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I feel kind of sorry for vince young.

The Unseen
04-20-2009, 04:30 PM

******* Daryl Smith

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
His knee was down.

04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
His knee was down.

Amen to that.

Brent
04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
The less I see Vince Young playing the happier I am.
You and me both.

Not Merril Hoge! He said which ever coaching staff takes Vince Young will be fired in 3 seasons. Good thing they brought in Collins.

His knee was down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/HisKneeWasDown-1.jpg

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 05:07 PM
You and me both.

Not Merril Hoge! He said which ever coaching staff takes Vince Young will be fired in 3 seasons. Good thing they brought in Collins.

Thanks Brent. Touchdown!

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Well, Floyd Reese was the GM who drafted Young, and he was let go at the end of Young's rookie season. But, VY wasn't the cause of it, or even a majoring factor.

E-Man
04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Of course they'll never own up to that debacle. Just like the people who thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton act like they didn't. In about 3 years you'll hear those same talking heads say, "You know back in the 2006 draft there were "some people" that thought Reggie Bush or Vince Young were the better pick than Mario." The same people who called Mario Williams a Sam Bowie won't own up to how utterly stupid they were to act like Houston ate some babies.

Brent
04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, Floyd Reese was the GM who drafted Young, and he was let go at the end of Young's rookie season. But, VY wasn't the cause of it, or even a majoring factor.
True but just for the sake that he said **** on TV like it was no big deal, I like Hoge. Even if he is batshit crazy. Sometimes those dissenting voices are interesting.

MetSox17
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Amen to that.

Ramonce Taylor for the TD! ;)

Don't hate, blame Reggie Bush and Michael Griffin for being such a beast and picking off Leinart ;)
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/ejones00/284018.jpg

San Diego Chicken
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I think Young's problems started when he decided he didn't want to get hit anymore, and stopped running. I read an interview with Norm Chow who stated as much. He wanted to become a pocket passer, and Young didn't elevate to the #3 pick in the draft for his passing ability. In 2006 he showed the ability to take over a game on the NFL level with his legs, but the next year that all stopped. For a while I thought it was Fisher's call, but it was really Young's desision.

Anyway, long story short, he's just not good enough in the pocket to make it in the league without scrambling, but he could make a comeback if he goes back to being the dynamic running quarterback he was in 2006.

OzTitan
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
That knee thing, yeah it's down, but isn't the ball kinda out? It's hard to tell with the terrible resolution image but if we were looking at a fumble that ball looks out to me.

As for the interview.... what Vince Young says in interviews and what he really means are often two entirely different things. So Titans fans have generally stopped taking them seriously a long time ago.

For example, when he says he "can't win", one might interpret it as a comment on his situation, contradicting his claim that he isn't going to complain. What I think he really meant however was he can't win by complaining with the media. Vince dislikes the Nashville media - can't say I blame him, they're probably the worst NFL media in the league and are absolutely obsessed with Jay Cutler to a pathetic degree. Vince is absolutely right - he can't win with these guys.

Another thing Vince often does in interview is state the obvious - what everyone in his situation would be thinking and feeling, but probably shouldn't say. Every player in his shoes would be thinking "well, I still get a paycheck in the meantime I suppose", but most would be, hrm, "media savvy" enough not to say it.

So really, it doesn't mean anything other than the guy isn't great at interviews. I definitely wouldn't read into a few quotes as a sign of anything like a lack of heart or desire.

phlysac
04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I love it when a player tries to display how humbled he's become all the while speaking in the 3rd person.

brat316
04-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I love it when a player tries to display how humbled he's become all the while speaking in the 3rd person.

he does it in one sentence come on.

phlysac
04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
he does it in one sentence come on.

He does it THREE times. I've never spoken of myself in the 3rd person in my entire life, let alone 3 times in 5 minutes.

Besides, that wasn't my point. My point is that a humbled individual doesn't speak of themselves in the 3rd person.

OzTitan
04-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Is mentioning one's name technically the 3rd person? "I'm going to continue to be Vince Young" seems the same as "I'm going to continue to be myself" to me structurally. 3rd person would be "Vince Young is going to continue to be himself".

brat316
04-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Is mentioning one's name technically the 3rd person? "I'm going to continue to be Vince Young" seems the same as "I'm going to continue to be myself" to me structurally. 3rd person would be "Vince Young is going to continue to be himself".

actually it should be

VY8 is going to continue to be Vince Young

The Unseen
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
I kinda wonder if Vince Young's career would have turned out better had he not won the national championship. He may have been drafted lower, gotten a big chip on his shoulder, and went out to try to prove anyone wrong.

The Legend
04-20-2009, 08:38 PM
How much would it cost to get Vince Young?

Bucs_Rule
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
I kinda wonder if Vince Young's career would have turned out better had he not won the national championship. He may have been drafted lower, gotten a big chip on his shoulder, and went out to try to prove anyone wrong.

He would have gotten drafted by the Raiders. If they would have gotten CJ next year it would greatly help him, but the way VY ran in his rookie sesaon in Tennessee they would have gotten enough wins to not get CJ.

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
How much would it cost to get Vince Young?
Probably a second or early third rounder.

Xonraider
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

im sorry, but i dont recall this moment. when was this exactly?

CC.SD
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
im sorry, but i dont recall this moment. when was this exactly?

The day the music died.

Xonraider
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
The day the music died.

lol okay... that was when he pitched out and the Longhorns scored the first TD... or second or something.

senormysterioso
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Of course they'll never own up to that debacle. Just like the people who thought Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton act like they didn't. In about 3 years you'll hear those same talking heads say, "You know back in the 2006 draft there were "some people" that thought Reggie Bush or Vince Young were the better pick than Mario." The same people who called Mario Williams a Sam Bowie won't own up to how utterly stupid they were to act like Houston ate some babies.

Exactly, there needs to be like an independent ESPN analyst oversight watchdog committee or something, so when they say stuff like that they can go find archive footage of them saying something directly contradictory right after.

The only thing that drives me more nuts is when an analyst gets about 95 things wrong but one of his asinine predictions happens to come true following the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" law, but he proceeds to brag about it and talk it up for months after.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Cashmoneydrew approves of speaking in the third person.

jayceheathman
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I wish he would start kicking some ass since I have an autographed mini helmet and football signed by him. :( I think I would have to pay someone to take them off of my hands right now.

umphrey
04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
I have some serious sympathy for him. He's in a tough spot right now and he seems to be depressed. He's going to have to work things out but being who he is that is going to be really hard given who he his.

How many people on this forum hate the guy, and have never even talked to him?

7-11
04-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Who is this Vince Young you speak of? Jeff Fisher has correctly made sure he no longer has any sort of relevancy in the NFL.

someone447
04-21-2009, 11:45 AM

[english major]You are correct. The first sentence isn't the third person. "I" is the subject while Vince Young is what he is going to be. The second one is third person because the subject is his name.[/end english major]

Halsey
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/radio/2005/1017/photo/i_bush_275.jpg

USC shouldn't have been in that game in the first place. Karma's a b...h.

bigbluedefense
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
He'll get a 2nd chance elsewhere.

But he's done with the Titans. Thats all there is to know, or care about.

Theres a slight chance he gets another chance 2 years from now, but the cap hit it would take to keep him on the roster, I just don't see it happening. A poster before made a great point about him. Once he tried to turn himself into a pocket passer, thats when his career went down hill. He needs to just let his natural ability dictate games instead of forcing himself into a role that he'll never succeed in.

E-Man
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Exactly, there needs to be like an independent ESPN analyst oversight watchdog committee or something, so when they say stuff like that they can go find archive footage of them saying something directly contradictory right after.

The only thing that drives me more nuts is when an analyst gets about 95 things wrong but one of his asinine predictions happens to come true following the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" law, but he proceeds to brag about it and talk it up for months after.

See I have no problem with someone being wrong. It's eventual that predictions get wrong, but an expert should know that their word isn't gospel. When you act like a prediction you make is absolute then you can't be taken serious as an expert. If you believed that Reggie Bush was going to be an all time great back that's fine. When you act like it's already happened, and that anybody who disagrees with you is a nut you lose all credibility. As much as they blew up Houston as the dumbest franchise ever, they need to blow themselves up as the dumbest analysts ever for acting like they did. Anyone with logic should have known that every draft produces a great back, but 6'7 290 pound DEs that run a 4.66 don't come around very often.

As for the Vince Young talk I actually think he's going to end up starting at some point this year. Kerry Collins is old, and I see him getting banged up this year. That'll give Vince a chance to start, and what he does with it probably will determine his future. I know the Titans are pretty much done with him now, but if he shows some decent production they may keep him. Of course is Kerry never gets hurt like I think then Vince will ride the bench all year unless Collins messes up really really bad.

Staubach12
04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
I always said VY would bust. Sure, he had some initial success, but teams caught on and he simply wasn't ready.

billybeejr
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I dont see why everyone gave up on young. every ******* year when these developmental type come out people say that they need to sit behind a vet for a few years, and thats exactly what the **** young is doing. He had never been a backup but he never went in the media and bitched about it. Everyone thinks cutler is the second coming yet he has a negative record as a starter and vince is 18 and 11. He has leadership and talent. Dont think Kerry isn't teaching him how to play as well. Its not like collins was the best qb in the nfl either like everyone seems to think he was. Collins is the one that is more of a bust of the two, he never threw for 2500 yards for carolina, and the titans were 27th in passing last year

TitanHope
04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

That's just not true at all. He has too much favor with Titans owner Bud Adams for it to be absolute. I believe Fisher is sincere when he says that Young will be given an apportunity to gain his job back. Whether or not that will ever happen remains to be seen.

OzTitan
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
He'll get a 2nd chance elsewhere.

Theres a slight chance he gets another chance 2 years from now, but the cap hit it would take to keep him on the roster, I just don't see it happening. A poster before made a great point about him. Once he tried to turn himself into a pocket passer, thats when his career went down hill. He needs to just let his natural ability dictate games instead of forcing himself into a role that he'll never succeed in.

I'm not so sure he flat out tried to be more of a pocket QB himself. It was a combination of Chow's offense and his early quad injury that probably factored more than any personal decision. He still led the NFL in QB rushing yards IIRC. But there's no question the playcalling wasn't as VY focused as it was in 06. Chow clearly viewed scrambling as a bit of a gimmick and basically said as much after his firing. But you can't really blame Chow entirely - Vince had to start QB'ing a more NFL proven style of offense sooner or later. That means more reads, and until a QB improves his ability to read a D, that means more time hanging onto the ball and more time before a scrambling QB like VY would decide to run it, so he simply didn't have the same lanes. Also, LenDale White was the starting RB in 07 - PA, PA rollouts etc just isn't as effective when the RB averages 3.x YPC.

He may be done in Tennessee but that's probably more because the team has outgrown him than anything. In hindsight a QB in 2006 was probably not going to ever work too well, let alone the one even his most vocal supporters clearly outlined would take a good 3-4 seasons to mature as an NFL QB. The Titans are clearly a team best suited for a veteran game manager. Vince should have sat at least 1 year also.

Regardless though he's had one good rookie season (19TDs for any rookie QB, passing and running, is never bad), a poor 07 season (with a non-NFL quality OC, Bobby Wade, Roydell Williams and LenDale White helping....nuff said) and a wash of an 08 season. He's still an open book and he hasn't been on an offense yet with a more NFL proven OC, or where he wasn't the #1 focus of the D - 08 would have changed that. The incident in week 1 means he's to blame for that, but that incident in itself doesn't mean he can't develop into a better QB.

Brent
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
USC shouldn't have been in that game in the first place.
Oh please, the ball came out. The play was reviewed. They made the right call:

a3MU16fpue4

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 04:17 PM
It should have been a penalty on Bush the next play. A non-lineman can't push a ball carrier forward. I'm pretty sure thats what he was referring to.

thought you could push not pull

Xonraider
04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
how'd you quote something that hadn't happened? omg

and I think you CAN push a ball carrier

Brent
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I thought some of you would appreciate this: when I was stretching after my run at the Rec today, I saw the closed captioning on ESPN and they were talking about who will turn out better, at this point, Leinart or Young and one of the guys goes, "Vince Young will be good, I think he's a play or two away from greatness" I think that was Marcellus Wiley or one of the others. I dont know, but I saw that and started laughing.

TitanHope
04-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not so sure he flat out tried to be more of a pocket QB himself. It was a combination of Chow's offense and his early quad injury that probably factored more than any personal decision. He still led the NFL in QB rushing yards IIRC. But there's no question the playcalling wasn't as VY focused as it was in 06. Chow clearly viewed scrambling as a bit of a gimmick and basically said as much after his firing. But you can't really blame Chow entirely - Vince had to start QB'ing a more NFL proven style of offense sooner or later. That means more reads, and until a QB improves his ability to read a D, that means more time hanging onto the ball and more time before a scrambling QB like VY would decide to run it, so he simply didn't have the same lanes. Also, LenDale White was the starting RB in 07 - PA, PA rollouts etc just isn't as effective when the RB averages 3.x YPC.

He may be done in Tennessee but that's probably more because the team has outgrown him than anything. In hindsight a QB in 2006 was probably not going to ever work too well, let alone the one even his most vocal supporters clearly outlined would take a good 3-4 seasons to mature as an NFL QB. The Titans are clearly a team best suited for a veteran game manager. Vince should have sat at least 1 year also.

Regardless though he's had one good rookie season (19TDs for any rookie QB, passing and running, is never bad), a poor 07 season (with a non-NFL quality OC, Bobby Wade, Roydell Williams and LenDale White helping....nuff said) and a wash of an 08 season. He's still an open book and he hasn't been on an offense yet with a more NFL proven OC, or where he wasn't the #1 focus of the D - 08 would have changed that. The incident in week 1 means he's to blame for that, but that incident in itself doesn't mean he can't develop into a better QB.

QFT. Great post, Oz.

I'm very happy Chow is gone. He may be an excellent QB coach, but I did not like him as a OC. The whole "WR by comittee" thing crapped out, and I hated his playcalling. Ugh...I'm so glad 'Dinger came back.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see VY play this season, and not when the game isn't on the line like agaist Detroit on ThanksGiving or Week 17 against the Colts.

someone447
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh please, the ball came out. The play was reviewed. They made the right call:

a3MU16fpue4

It should have been a penalty on Bush the next play. A non-lineman can't push a ball carrier forward. I'm pretty sure thats what he was referring to.

Shiver
04-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Another Vince Young thread! Hadn't had one of these in a while! Where's Shiver?

Aside from dropping the 3rd person, I don't see anything wrong with his comments. He says he's gonna keep his mouth shut and work hard, which means he's lost his mind, heart, and testicular fortitude?

Lurking..... I am just waiting for the opportune moment.

someone447
04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
how'd you quote something that hadn't happened? omg

and I think you CAN push a ball carrier

No, a non lineman can't push a ball carrier forward. I know that for a fact. Remember the Ice Bowl? When Starr snuck into the endzone? http://www.nflhistory.org/museum/images/icebowl.jpg
The running back (#30) said he put his hands up to show the refs he wasn't helping Starr into the endzone by pushing him. That rule hasn't changed since then. There should have been a penalty on Bush.

The Pac-10 commissioner said a penalty could have been called, but that it is so rarely enforced that the non-call was also correct. I tend to agree with that. Technically it is a penalty, but when it doubt let them play.