PDA

View Full Version : First round tips from Gil Brandt

Who Dat Nation
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/first-round-tips-from-gil-bran.html

LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• There will be no defensive backs taken in the Top 10.

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• The New England Patriots, at No. 23 will take a linebacker.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).

Babylon
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/first-round-tips-from-gil-bran.html

LSU DE Tyson Jackson will go in the Top 5. Not might. Will. This qualified as the biggest shocker, to me, since almost every mock draft I looked at pegged Jackson to be a mid- to late first-rounder at best. I thought the Top 5 was pretty locked in, too. But, of course, I shouldn’t have doubted Mr. Brandt. I asked around after the show to see if I could confirm it, and sure enough one NFL source I know did tell me he’s heard the Kansas City Chiefs might take Jackson at No. 3, or trade down and take him a few picks later.

• The Seattle Seahawks, at No. 4, will likely select either Texas Tech WR Michael Crabtree or USC QB Mark Sanchez.

• Crabtree will fall somewhere between Picks 4 and 10, though given the variables it was impossible to guess exactly where.

• The Oakland Raiders will take a receiver at No. 7 (and it’s hard to imagine them passing on Crabtree if he’s available, so I suppose we can narrow down Crabtree’s placement to 4-7).

• There will be no defensive backs taken in the Top 10.

• The Saints, at No. 14, are looking for a big cornerback, and Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins is a good bet to be their guy.

• The New England Patriots, at No. 23 will take a linebacker.

• Oklahoma T Phil Loadholt (6-7, 332) will go in the first round of the draft. His teammate, G Duke Robinson (6-5, 330, and the top-rated guard on most boards), will not.

• Cincinnati DE Connor Barwin didn’t begin this process as a first-rounder, but he has managed to sneak himself into the bottom of the first round.

• The Buffalo Bills are targeting a DE with the 11th pick (and not Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, by the way). They are also pretty high on Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, but aren’t likely to take him unless they trade down a few spots. (Important note: Things have obviously changed a little since then, since the Bills acquired a second first-round pick from Philadelphia in the Jason Peters trade. Now the Bills have both the 11th and 28th pick. Of course, they also have an obvious need for a tackle).

I always felt this guy knew what he was talking about:)

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll be shocked if Jackson goes top 5 and surprised if he goes top 10, but Brandt knows a hell of a lot about football.

PossibleCabbage
04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I suppose that if "Jackson is going top 5" is accurate, it almost has to be to the Chiefs, right? What other destination in the top 5 would make sense for him?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I can't believe the Chiefs would make a need pick in the top-five over value and overdraft Tyson Jackson.

I don't know how people look at Jackson and see the production of probable HOFer Richard Seymour.

I'll be pissed if the Bills pick DE Michael Johnson, only because I'd love to have him playing next to Haynesworth in Washington, but he should fit in well with their defense.

Black Bolt
04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
to the Raiders!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
04-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I suppose that if "Jackson is going top 5" is accurate, it almost has to be to the Chiefs, right? What other destination in the top 5 would make sense for him?

The Browns could possibly be a sleeper. Or the Packers moving up or someone. Still unlikely but yeah Chiefs at 3 is looking like a true possibility.

Black Bolt
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
The Browns could possibly be a sleeper. Or the Packers moving up or someone. Still unlikely but yeah Chiefs at 3 is looking like a true possibility.

and the Browns are the most likely suitors. It does make sense that the Packers woud have to move up to get him, though. At #9, who is it that they would need to leapfrog?

PACKmanN
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
this means that Raji will be a Packer :) pleaseZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

art vandelay
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Nice, maybe the Bills are looking at Maybin? Or Everette Brown? I was never a big Ayers guy so I hope they don't take him.

PossibleCabbage
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
to the Raiders!!!

Not that the "Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing" line isn't all played out (even if it's true), but would anybody really be surprised of the Raiders are looking at both Maclin and Crabtree on the board when they pick, if they went with Maclin?

Davis has always (even when the Raiders were good) been a guy who values physical attributes like speed, size, and strength over most everything else. With questions about Crabtree's size (everybody thought he was taller before the combine), and his speed (he never ran for scouts this offseason), I could see Maclin higher on their board. It's not like Maclin at #7 is a terrible reach, most people think he's probably worthy of a top 10 pick, it's just that most people have Crabtree higher, but does Davis?

I doubt the Packers move up, their draft war-room very much operates on a "if we have n guys ranked about the same at the top of our board, see if you can trade down as many as n-1 spots" model rather than "fall in love with a guy, and do what it takes to get him." By what I'm hearing, Green Bay has Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and Tyson Jackson ranked about the same. It's terribly unlikely one of those guys won't be there at 9. I could see Green Bay trying to trade up to #5 if Monroe or J. Smith were available there, assuming the price for trading up this year is as low as rumored. But Ted Thompson is a "never overpay for anything" kind of guy, so it it would cost more than about a third round pick to trade up with Cleveland, he probably wouldn't do it.

diabsoule
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Why in the holy name of **** are the Saints looking for a CB when we have Tracy Porter and signed Jabari Greer as a FA. How stupid would our front office be to draft someone and push down someone you paid for in free agency as well as another person you're paying a good sized contract for in Randall Gay to play nickel.

Please, if we're going to get anyone at 14 it's going to be Mark Sanchez.

Geo
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Not that the "Al Davis doesn't know what he's doing" line isn't all played out (even if it's true), but would anybody really be surprised of the Raiders are looking at both Maclin and Crabtree on the board when they pick, if they went with Maclin?
I would say there is zero chance the Raiders draft Crabtree. Al Davis isn't going to buy goods unseen, especially when his speed is a real issue on the game film that everyone likes to talk about.

wicket
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Why in the holy name of **** are the Saints looking for a CB when we have Tracy Porter and signed Jabari Greer as a FA. How stupid would our front office be to draft someone and push down someone you paid for in free agency as well as another person you're paying a good sized contract for in Randall Gay to play nickel.

my thoughts exactly

Flyboy
04-20-2009, 01:56 PM

I swear to God, people want it their way.

Okay, so you don't agree with selecting Beanie Wells at 14. But, you also don't agree with us selecting Jenkins either?

Erm, Jenkins would be a very nice addition to our defense either at corner or free safety.

SaintsMan
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
IF not CB, Jenkins would make a very good Free Safety. FS is also a huge need as we only have Darren Sharper at the position, he is 33 and signed a 1 year deal. Malcolm Jenkins is great value at our pick.

I'm salivating at the thought of him on our team. I think he's going to be a stud for many years. Please fall to 14 MJ!

Saints-Tigers
04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
If the Saints take Sanchez we might as well pack it in, what purpose would that pick serve?

I'm sorry, I like Porter and all, but I'm not banking on more journeymen and nickel corners to stop anyone, and we'd be stupid to pass on Jenkins unless we move down for more picks.

Flyboy
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
If the Saints take Sanchez we might as well pack it in, what purpose would that pick serve?

He was being facetious, but still.

Black Bolt
04-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I would say there is zero chance the Raiders draft Crabtree. Al Davis isn't going to buy goods unseen, especially when his speed is a real issue on the game film that everyone likes to talk about.

Crab could be the best PLAYER in the draft let alone WR, which is a position of need for us. I know Al tendancies full well,but to say zero chance is ridiculous. Cable spoke quite favorably of Crab in his recent interview saying that he is very, very good and could play in any system. Tim Brown was not a top end burner and had a serious knee injury and Al took him.

Splat
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
this means that Raji will be a Packer :) pleaseZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

I would not be shocked if the Chiefs take Raji.

Saints-Tigers
04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
He was being facetious, but still.

Gotcha.

Even still, Gay, Greer, and even Porter aren't premier defensive back talent, neither is Roman Harper really, and definitely no for an old Darren Sharper.

I think Porter is going to be really good, but the rest are all expendable, though I do like Harper. Greer is a wildcard, and Gay is better served as a nickel.

We could actually use a premium pick on a defensive back, and Jenkins is a top level talent that may fall because of team need, he's really talented.

Young Legend
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Crabtree isn't going to be there anyways so its mute, and maclin ugh Higgins > Maclin. If it's A WR and it's not Crabtree please give me Bey.

TonyGfortheTD
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM

After not leaking a single thing about the GM search, or coach search, a word about the Chiefs trading for Cassel...they're going to leak who they're going to take in the draft? Yeah, right.

Strongside
04-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'm not buying most of these.

Borat
04-20-2009, 03:03 PM
LOL. Loadholt isn't going in the first round. I like Gil Brandt a lot, but that just isn't going to happen.

ironman4579
04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Honestly, that's the second time I've heard that, now from Gil Brandt, and previously from Pat Kirwan.

EDIT:And of course in Scott's mock as well.

gpngc
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Well Seattle's pick has become a bit clearer today.

This is the second reputable source that has claimed that the #4 pick is down to Crabtree vs. Sanchez (P. King being the other).

Combined with Ruskell's recent comments about Locklear and Ray Willis, I'm fairly sure they won't take an offensive tackle as many assumed. I'm rooting for Crab, but I really don't know what they're going to do. I may be reaching, but I think the fact that the Braylon-to-New York trade still hasn't gotten done may mean the Browns think Seattle will take Crabs. I'm hoping they're right.

The Chiefs pick, not so much...

gpngc
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM
LOL. Loadholt isn't going in the first round. I like Gil Brandt a lot, but that just isn't going to happen.

A scout in another article I read yesterday actually said Loadholt will go in round one as well.

He makes sense for the Steelers...

Geo
04-20-2009, 03:13 PM

This is the second reputable source that has claimed that the #4 pick is down to Crabtree vs. Sanchez (P. King being the other).

Combined with Ruskell's recent comments about Locklear and Ray Willis, I'm fairly sure they won't take an offensive tackle as many assumed. I'm rooting for Crab, but I really don't know what they're going to do. I may be reaching, but I think the fact that the Braylon-to-New York trade still hasn't gotten done may mean the Browns think Seattle will take Crabs. I'm hoping they're right.

Seattle is saying this in hopes that someone will trade with KC to get Sanchez (or maybe Crabtree), so they can get Eugene Monroe imo.

LookItsAlDavis
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Neither was Sam Baker or Duane Brown...

gpngc
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Seattle is saying this in hopes that someone will trade with KC to get Sanchez (or maybe Crabtree), so they can get Eugene Monroe imo.

Seahawks scout about the top OTs:
"In another draft none of these guys would be top five," Seattle Seahawks scout Charles Fisher said. "They're good players, but I wouldn't consider any of these guys as pure franchise cornerstones. Branden Albert is more athletic than all these guys."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

Ruskell on the OT situation:
"That was a plan when we paid Sean and said that that was in the back of our heads in terms of when Walter's done, Sean would move over," Ruskell said. "That has been the plan. What hurt us last year a little bit, was he [Locklear] got hurt. He was having a heck of a training camp, heck of a preseason, and he got hurt and he never came back to what he would want to be. He never really got his thing back, his confidence, until it was too late.

"So that's still the plan. That's still the plan that when Walter is done, Sean moves over there and that's the reason we signed him to a long-term deal and it's the reason we signed Ray Willis."
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/seahawks/2009/04/18/tackling_the_le.html

PossibleCabbage
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Draft week is still "misinformation season", though. I wouldn't be surprised if there are scouts out there carpetbagging their contacts with "the OTs just aren't that good" just in hopes that a guy they like will drop a little further.

Not saying everything you hear this week is a lie, but you have to be skeptical from everything you hear from a team or a scout this time of year. Many of these stories have an angle.

Crickett
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM

If that franchise QB falls to you, you can't pass on him. :p

diabsoule
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I swear to God, people want it their way.

Okay, so you don't agree with selecting Beanie Wells at 14. But, you also don't agree with us selecting Jenkins either?

Erm, Jenkins would be a very nice addition to our defense either at corner or free safety.

Burger King spoiled me.

If we're drafting Jenkins as a CB, then yes, I wholeheartedly disagree with that move, however, if we're drafting him as a safety then I'm down with it. I just want to address safety.

You know why I don't want Beanie Wells. I'm not going to kick that dead horse...again.

gpngc
04-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Draft week is still "misinformation season", though. I wouldn't be surprised if there are scouts out there carpetbagging their contacts with "the OTs just aren't that good" just in hopes that a guy they like will drop a little further.

Not saying everything you hear this week is a lie, but you have to be skeptical from everything you hear from a team or a scout this time of year. Many of these stories have an angle.

I know what you're saying, and you're right. But that Seahawks scout has absolutely 0 reason to lie about the OTs and smokescreening does not come from scouts.

I don't buy that "interest in Sanchez is a smokescreen" talk from the Redskins. Why would they be lying? To hide their interest in Orakpo? Why? Like really, what good could it do at the 13th pick to make it known you're interested in a top 5 QB?

Black Bolt
04-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Crabtree isn't going to be there anyways so its mute, and maclin ugh Higgins > Maclin. If it's A WR and it's not Crabtree please give me Bey.

Higgins is better than Maclin at what exactly? He is smaller and slower, that's for sure. Higgins is not a starting WR on the NFL level, he is a KR man that was forced into action last year. I am not endorsing Maclin at #7, but to say that Higgins is better than him is ridiculous. Perhaps you meant to say that they present similar abilities.

ErikG803
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't see why some people are so convinced Seattle wants Monroe, he's a horrible fit in our new ZBS.

That being said, I really hope we decide to go with Crabtree.

scottyboy
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Seattles in the best position in the draft. at 4 they could get Sanchez, Crabtree, Smith or Monroe. All of which really fill needs. Hell, the could have a chance to take Curry. Curry-Lofa-Hill. mmmmmm sexy LB corps. but probably too much of a luxury pick

gpngc
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Seattles in the best position in the draft. at 4 they could get Sanchez, Crabtree, Smith or Monroe. All of which really fill needs. Hell, the could have a chance to take Curry. Curry-Lofa-Hill. mmmmmm sexy LB corps. but probably too much of a luxury pick

The thing about Seattle is that in this economy, I'll believe Stafford-to-the-Lions when his name is on the dotted line. It's quite possible they could opt for the cheaper player.

At this time in '06 there wasn't a mock draft anywhere that had Mario Williams going #1 to Houston. It was a foregone conclusion that Bush would be the first pick.

We're assuming, just like we did with Bush, again here with Stafford, and while the writing is on the wall, the pen's still not on the paper.

If Smith or Curry signed a la Super Mario, Stafford would most likely be a Seahawk on Saturday.

I, for one, am extremely excited. No other way to put it. For the Seahawks, this is arguably the most important/compelling draft they've had since I've been studying the draft in 2001. I've never seen them in the top five, never with a real need at all three glamor positions (QB, WR, RB). It's gonna be a fun one.

The K-Rob draft was mildly exciting because the Hawks had 2 firsts from the Joey Galloway trade (LOL Jerry Jones). But the draft wasn't as big then as it is now. First three picks were K-Rob, Hutch, and Ken Lucas- not bad.

The Trufant year was cool (#11 overall I think) but everyone knew it was going to be K. Williams, J. Kennedy or Tru.

Other than those two years, the Hawks always have been picking in the 20s (or inexplicably trading away a chance to watch Robert Meachem bust for a few years of watching Deion Branch get hurt- but I digress:eek: :confused: :eek: ). Was a good thing, but it wasn't too much fun on draft day when the big choices they were making were Daniel Graham or Jerrammy Stevens?!?!!? or Kelly Jennings or Richard Marshall?!?!??! I much prefer this year's situation to those drafts!

Borat
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Neither was Sam Baker or Duane Brown...

I will LMFAO at the team that blows a 1st rounder on Loadholt. What a colossal waste of a pick.

DJC
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I will LMFAO at the team that blows a 1st rounder on Loadholt. What a colossal waste of a pick.

Agreed. Shouldn't go before the 3rd IMO.

hagy34
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Sanchez to NO??? Why in the world would they spend the 14th pick on a QB when they have Brees and so many other needs. Sanchez won't be going to NO.

Flyboy
04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
He wasn't serious..

ChiefMojo
04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Even as a Chiefs fan it is far fetched to think Pioli would take Tyson Jackson at #3, but if he can trade down like Pioli would hope, I can honestly see it. Sure Jackson might not be all-world, but he is one piece of the defense the Chiefs DO NOT have. There are no 5-Tech DE's on roster and the next best available 5-Tech is Jarron Gilbert and some project him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. So Jackson may be closer to Marcus Spears than Seymour, but that still doesn't make him a bad pick in the grand scheme of things.

It is becoming apparent that the Chiefs would prefer not to draft Curry at #3 even though they like him. If it isn't Tyson Jackson, I'm also looking at Everette Brown or BJ Raji on a trade back. I don't think KC is going to take Monroe, but I could be wrong.

To be honest I think in Pioli's dream world, he takes Jackson in the 1st, gets a 2nd rounder or two and drafts Gilbert in the 2nd or at worst if he falls there in the 3rd. He would surround both Tank Tyler and Glenn Dorsey with the two best 5-Tech DE's in the draft to fit the Chiefs new hybrid 3-4.

Also you could see KC take Brown and then if they get a 2nd rounder or two (or get back into the 1st) they then get Gilbert higher than normal in the 2nd and also draft a LB.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-20-2009, 11:46 PM

You're insinuating that Crabtree has been completely removed from Oakland's board because he was injured this offseason?

I'm all for mocking the Al's drafting methods, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement Geo. The idea that speed is all Oakland cares about is a bit overblown (not to say that physical attributes aren't a big deal for the Raiders, but speed is but one in a range of tools). Either way, Crabtree fulfills that big college profile that Oakland covets in their early picks.

I don't discount the distinct possibility that Maclin has surpassed Crabtree on Oakland's board. But to insinuate that Crabtree has completely removed himself from consideration for the Raiders because of an ankle injury is madness.

Geo
04-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm flat-out saying he won't be drafted by the Raiders because he didn't do any pre-draft testing. Especially when testing estimations aren't good enough anyways.

And for the record, I don't think the Colts would draft him either. Nevermind potential character pitfalls, which is my gut with Crabtree (more the company he'd keep than himself), speed and explosion are critical for some teams.

The Raiders take pictures of prospects without their shirts on. You think Al Davis is going to draft a receiver who doesn't test and probably run late 4.5/4.6 if he did with the 7th overall pick? Hey, good luck with that.

We'll see if I'm dead wrong on Saturday, although Cleveland might not allow us to find out.

gpngc
04-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Crabtree won't get into any trouble up in the Northwest! Well, even if he did, no one would notice!

I think it's a moot point about the Raiders because I really don't envision a scenario in which Crabtree lasts past pick #5.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Geo, if there's one thing Al Davis puts his trust in, it isn't the numbers from the combine, the pro day, or even his own scouts opinion. It's his impression from his film study. I can guarantee that.

Now, do we what Davis thinks about Crabtree's film? Not really (there is a lot there to like). Do we know if Crabtree's character concerns have carried any weight for Davis? No, and I doubt they have. But to say that because Crabtree didn't time this offseason Oakland simply won't consider drafting him is patently ridiculous.

Hokie_Pokie08
04-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I can't believe the Chiefs would make a need pick in the top-five over value and overdraft Tyson Jackson.

I don't know how people look at Jackson and see the production of probable HOFer Richard Seymour.

I'll be pissed if the Bills pick DE Michael Johnson, only because I'd love to have him playing next to Haynesworth in Washington, but he should fit in well with their defense.

Please tell me you aren't suggesting that the Redskins should take Michael Johnson with the 13th pick. That would be a horrible selection.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2009, 12:25 AM
The Raiders take pictures of prospects without their shirts on. You think Al Davis is going to draft a receiver who doesn't test and probably run late 4.5/4.6 if he did with the 7th overall pick? Hey, good luck with that.

We'll see if I'm dead wrong on Saturday, although Cleveland might not allow us to find out.

See, so because Crabtree couldn't run that means he's a 4.5/4.6 guy? Isn't that what everyone said about Nicks? I think people are expecting Crabtree to be way too slow, had he run at his pro day a high 4.4 was pretty likely, if Ramses Barden could run a low 4.5 for goodness sake I don't know why anyone thinks Crabtree is slower then that.

I don't think he'll even be there to draft regardless, but I don't know why everyone just assumes he's automatically around a 4.6.

umphrey
04-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I buy all of it except for
-NE taking a linebacker. Possible but not probable.
-There is NO WAY Tyson Jackson goes top 5. Not a chance.
-Barwin won't go in the first. I could see him slipping into one of the last 5 picks or so but he's not a first round guy. Maybe a team picking really late will reach for him because they really like him and can't trade down.

TenthPuppy
04-21-2009, 04:40 AM
He wasn't serious..

You sure? It even says it in his Sig. Is it just a joke or something?

baronzeus
04-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Cleveland trades with Kansas City to get Sanchez/Crabtree (whoever they prefer, probably Sanchez), Seattle takes the other (or Curry?), and KC takes Tyson Jackson. This is the only situation that I can see Tyson Jackson going top 5. This begs the question, where does Aaron Curry go? If people are right and Stafford-Smith go 1-2, and the Bengals take Monroe at 6th, Curry will be a steal at 7+.

Babylon
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
-Barwin won't go in the first. I could see him slipping into one of the last 5 picks or so but he's not a first round guy. Maybe a team picking really late will reach for him because they really like him and can't trade down.

I think one thing lost in the whole "he only played one year at DE" thing with Barwin is he played 3 years at TE. On the outside chance he wasnt great at OLB i think he could easily take his 4.45 speed to the other side of the ball.

I might tend to agree he isnt 1st round material at this point but you have to say that about a lot of others too. there are about 20 sure things in this draft if that.

Babylon
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Not sure if you were referring to the Seattle Times article but i was sort of struck by their comments on the tackles, like you said it sort of pretty much rules out an OT tackle with the 4th pick. My guess is trade down, Curry or Sanchez (assuming Stafford is gone).

MetSox17
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I love how he really goes out on a limb in all these "tips".

T-RICH49
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
TJ would be the biggest wasted pick for KC since Ryan Sims and we don't need Raji we have a crapload of DT's as is.come on Scott just take Curry

Babylon
04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
TJ would be the biggest wasted pick for KC since Ryan Sims and we don't need Raji we have a crapload of DT's as is.come on Scott just take Curry

Personally i think it should be "come on Scott just trade down". If they can recoup a 2nd and still get an Orakpo, Ayers or a Maybin (he's not my favorite by the way) then i think they'd be better off.

Splat
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
TJ would be the biggest wasted pick for KC since Ryan Sims and we don't need Raji we have a crapload of DT's as is.

Ya its not like the Chiefs had the worst DL in the NFL last year or any thing.:rolleyes:

Taking a LB that high and putting him behind the Chiefs DL woule be just liking having a poor OL and taking a RB top three it just doesn't make sense.

Babylon
04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Ya its not like the Chiefs had the worst DL in the NFL last year or any thing.:rolleyes:

Taking a LB that high and putting him behind the Chiefs DL woule be just liking having a poor OL and taking a RB top three it just doesn't make sense.

Seems like with a 3-4 and the depth of OLBs trading down and getting that OLB in round 2 would be ideal, they could even go WR or OT somewhere later in round 1 depending on who they were to swap picks with. DL would not be a priority that early if i were the Chefs.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

I don't think any of those crapload of DT's is good enough to make you pass up on an elite NT in a 3-4, that of which you don't have now...Just because you have a bunch of average depth doesn't mean you should ignore that position if there is elite talent there.

I guess I won't understand Tyson Jackson going top 5 until it happens.

bored of education
04-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't understand anyone other than Curry, Raji, Monroe/Smith or Crabtree if they stay at 3.

Mully
04-21-2009, 06:15 PM

I'm a Pats fan and it seems to be the consensus that NE takes a pass-rushing OLB in the first. I mean, you could make the argument for a player in the secondary but linebacker is a major need.

Geo
04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Tell me again that numbers don't matter to Al Davis and that he will draft Michael Crabtree.

I'd like to hear it now.