PDA

View Full Version : Just, explain to me please why

Addict
04-20-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't understand this QB-ranking thing.

Right, so by the end of college football, everyone is unanimous, Stafford is the top guy. Then, no more games, no nothing. Senior bowl is irrelevant since the top 3 QB's are juniors, there is nothing left to evaluate but combines and pro days.

Stafford and Sanchez both do well at pro day. Sanchez's stock rises but still nobody thinks him ahead of Stafford.

Then out of nowhere everybody gets on the bandwagon for (as far as I can tell) no appearent reason. Everyone just up and gets on the Sanchez-wagon. I don't understand it. Please explain to me how the hell this happened. How in the world did Sanchez suddenly become the top QB on many people's boards AFTER all the games, pro days and the combine?

Not that I don't like Sanchez, or Stafford. But I'm just kinda weirded out by this sudden movement which seems to be completely at random.

brat316
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
interviews, they finally get the chance to talk to him personally and not in a place like the combine.

bored of education
04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
See Sanchez as a Freshman thread for the reason why.

Addict
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
interviews, they finally get the chance to talk to him personally and not in a place like the combine.

Well by that logic Colt Brennan would have been a second-round pick... He was great in interviews. Hell Scott was in shock and awe after speaking to him.

phlysac
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
It's like dating. Stafford might be a little bit better looking but Sanchez has a much more attractive personality. Teams get smitten and forget this is about football not about friends.

Black Bolt
04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
He looks like the USC Trojan, and apparently that's all it takes.

Right, so by the end of college football, everyone is unanimous, Stafford is the top guy. Then, no more games, no nothing. Senior bowl is irrelevant since the top 3 QB's are juniors, there is nothing left to evaluate but combines and pro days.

Stafford and Sanchez both do well at pro day. Sanchez's stock rises but still nobody thinks him ahead of Stafford.

Then out of nowhere everybody gets on the bandwagon for (as far as I can tell) no appearent reason. Everyone just up and gets on the Sanchez-wagon. I don't understand it. Please explain to me how the hell this happened. How in the world did Sanchez suddenly become the top QB on many people's boards AFTER all the games, pro days and the combine?

Not that I don't like Sanchez, or Stafford. But I'm just kinda weirded out by this sudden movement which seems to be completely at random.

Menardo75
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Probably because people got tired of having a consensus number one, and wanted to do something different.

Matthew Jones
04-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I think of it more this way: earlier people were saying "Stafford is the absolute best quarterback", and now that some respected analysts are starting to rank Sanchez right up there with or even ahead of him, Sanchez fans are "coming out of the closet", so to speak. I think I'll probably rank Stafford #1 at QB in my final rankings but I was never sold on Stafford being on a completely different level than Sanchez is. They're definitely comparable.

Flyboy
04-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Meh. I've liked Sanchez over Stafford from jump so it's nothing new for me. *shrugs*

MelKiperEraSurvivor
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
the gms/coaches/scouts developed a man crush on Sanchez

Look at the comments on him, one of them said like he is "oozing confidence"

Yatta!
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
A lot of it is also rumours thrown out by teams and the media. Apparently Seattle and Washington are in love with Sanchez and willing to take him in the top 5 while Detroit is still trying to persuade people that Aaron Curry may still be their pick to lower Stafford's contract number etc.

Same with Tyson Jackson, his stock is suddenly on the rise because he is a 'Pioli' guy and apparently a legit top 5 pick. If someone had Jackson at #3 in a mock two weeks ago they would have been torn to pieces.

I tend to think that a lot of the new information is just smokescreens that gets blown out of proportion with the increased media attention directly before the draft. Otherwise I totally agree, its crazy for a scouting department to change their opinion of a player dramatically in a period where almost nothing happens.

Shane P. Hallam
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I think this all is just a little extreme. I expect Stafford to go 1 and everything else to fall into place.

princefielder28
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I've never had a huge crush on either one, but I will admit since the end of the year I've changed my top spot on my QB rankings. Sanchez currently reigns #1 for me because he is a more accurate passer, better decison maker under pressure, and seems to have that "IT" factor that I don't see in Stafford.

Brent
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
there is a quote that I need to find that goes, "if the draft were held in June, the top three QBs would go 1-2-3" because GMs and coaches talk themselves in to thinking a guy is/might be better than what they originally thought

georgiafan
04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I would also add the fact that Stafford has showed the off season that he isn't just a stong armed QB. He had he top score in the wonderlic and reportly blew teams away on the chalk board.

jnew76
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
In my final rankings, I will have them pretty much in a dead heat with Sanchez beating out Stafford by just a hair. IMO neither of them are ready to start in the NFL next year.

Stafford has all of the tools and intelligence in the world. However, even though he has well over 30 starts in his career, he continued to make a lot of the same mistakes and lacked consistent accuracy. He is a career 57% passer, which is not good enough for me to consider him a franchise signal caller in the NFL.

Sanchez is a different player. He has much less experience, and did not play against the same competition. He did however show more improvement in a shorter amount of time than Stafford. Overall, he is just more accurate and anticipates a little better than Stafford. He cannot make the same throws that Stafford can, but he makes up for it by being a quicker decision maker and better anticipator than Stafford. Sanchez completed over 70% of his passes in 5 games this year... Something Stafford failed to do in a single game this last year. Sanchez's complete dismantling of Penn St. in the Rose Bowl was one of the best performances by a college QB who was a first year starter. All that said, Sanchez just does not fit in all schemes. His arm is limited compared to Stafford.

Flyboy
04-21-2009, 10:17 AM
All that said, Sanchez just does not fit in all schemes. His arm is limited compared to Stafford.

I'm not buying that Sanchez can't fit into all schemes. He may not have the same type of arm as Stafford's, but he has more than enough to make all the throws on Sunday.

jnew76
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm not buying that Sanchez can't fit into all schemes. He may not have the same type of arm as Stafford's, but he has more than enough to make all the throws on Sunday.

Yeah, I should amend that... I think that Sanchez is not ideal in all schemes or stadiums.

georgiafan
04-21-2009, 10:31 AM
In my final rankings, I will have them pretty much in a dead heat with Sanchez beating out Stafford by just a hair. IMO neither of them are ready to start in the NFL next year.

Stafford has all of the tools and intelligence in the world. However, even though he has well over 30 starts in his career, he continued to make a lot of the same mistakes and lacked consistent accuracy. He is a career 57% passer, which is not good enough for me to consider him a franchise signal caller in the NFL.

Sanchez is a different player. He has much less experience, and did not play against the same competition. He did however show more improvement in a shorter amount of time than Stafford. Overall, he is just more accurate and anticipates a little better than Stafford. He cannot make the same throws that Stafford can, but he makes up for it by being a quicker decision maker and better anticipator than Stafford. Sanchez completed over 70% of his passes in 5 games this year... Something Stafford failed to do in a single game this last year. Sanchez's complete dismantling of Penn St. in the Rose Bowl was one of the best performances by a college QB who was a first year starter. All that said, Sanchez just does not fit in all schemes. His arm is limited compared to Stafford.

Of course Sanchez is going to complete a higher % of passes then Staffor when so many of Sanchez passes were short passes 10 yards in or to wide open WR's. He made several nice throw, but lot of his TD's agianst penn st. was with WR's wide open.

Staffords accuracy improved every single year and it was much much better this year then his sophmore year. He does need to work on his accuracy on deep passes. He attempted alot more down field passes then Sanchez and still completed over 60% this year. It's kinda of a stretch fair to use his stats as true freshman agianst him with the talent he was working with.

TNPatsFan
04-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the key thing to remember is that just because the media and fans move guys all up and down the draft boards between January and April it does not necessarily mean that teams are changing their draft boards all that much. I would suspect that most teams have both QB's rated pretty much the same as they have all along unless there was something in a personal workout or meeting with the player(s) that drastically changed the way they were thinking.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM

I think Sanchez has a deal with ESPN to give them half of his signing bonus once he gets signed. Dude has been party of an unstoppable hype machine since blowing out an overrated Penn St. team in the Rose Bowl.

LonghornsLegend
04-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Sanchez has been wowing teams with his leadership skills, intangibles, little things they can't judge from games or workouts, at least that's what it sounds like from most scouts.

I could see a WCO rating Sanchez higher on their board also, I remember reading Seattle literally runs the same offense that USC did and he would get to sit and learn, which would be his ideal scenario anyway.

Byrd430
04-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with your question. At the beginning of the draft process, I had Mark Sanchez at earliest going to the Niners at #10 and at the latest to the Bucs at #19. Now, everyone is hollering about a potential top 5 selection. Now teams are wanting to trade up to get him?

Stafford is still the best QB on the board. I wouldn't mind Sanchez being up there, but he has SIXTEEN starts. SIXTEEN!?!?! Against Pac 10 teams at that? It's the one knock I have against Sanchez, and just because he can talk in front of a microphone does not mean he is just as good on that football field. Personally, I think if he gets to sit and learn the NFL, he'll be okay or better. I hope he gets thrown to the wolves.

Xiomera
04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
It's an excellent question.

I'd say it's because McShay and Kiper and Co. are hyping him and most of you guys are ditto-heads.

Haha

Sniper
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe because Stafford isn't that good, therefore people latch onto the next best QB.

Crickett
04-21-2009, 01:10 PM

This happens a lot. Alex Smith owes millions of dollars to it.

etk
04-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I've preferred Sanchez since the bowl game.

P-L
04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
I've preferred Sanchez since the bowl game.
You and Flyboy are in the minority though (and I'm not saying you're wrong by any means). But there have been a ton of people, and not just on this board, that have moved Sanchez ahead of Stafford within the last few weeks.

etk
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
You and Flyboy are in the minority though (and I'm not saying you're wrong by any means). But there have been a ton of people, and not just on this board, that have moved Sanchez ahead of Stafford within the last few weeks.

I'm not a fan of that with quarterbacks. The (bulk of the) evaluation process should end after the season is over and all the tape is processed. Other positions that require more athletic ability are open to constant analysis because there are many events prior to the draft that can make an impression.

Some may not agree, but I find the QB Pro Days, Combines and interviews worthless. Josh Johnson slipped to us in the 5th because of the combine, and I couldn't have been any happier. Stephen McGee could get overdrafted because of drills that aren't even live.