PDA

View Full Version : Holt signs with Jags

farfromforgotten
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
3 years 20 Million - per ESPN's Michael Smith.

bearsfan_51
04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Well they gave Jerry Porter 10 million dollars for one year, so I guess they've got nowhere to go but up.

The Legend
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
7mil isnt that bad

JT Jag
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Holt will probably never see the money in that third year. I'm guessing he got 7 mil in guarantees and has a big roster bonus and base salary for the third year.

OzTitan
04-20-2009, 06:50 PM
So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.

D-Unit
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.

gpngc
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
So much for the Jags not spending on iffy vets after last offseason.

He can probably still be an effective #1 but I was never very comfortable with him being on a run first team like the Titans for anything over maybe $5M a year for 2 years.

JT Jag, per last cap year rules a player's deal can only escalate 20% from year to year in its total value, which includes base salary and any bonuses. So year 3 can't be too different. Nevertheless, he'll probably be cuttable cap wise after just this season anyway.

I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.

bearsfan_51
04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Paying the guy for what he's done, not what he'll do.

I woudln't go quite that far. If '01 Holt was on the market he'd be making well more than what this Holt got.

It's not an awful contract by any means. Like I said, you compare this to the Jerry Porter deal and it's a jackpot.

OzTitan
04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't see Holt as "iffy" at all. That team was so screwed up the last few years- no one could get anything going consistently.

Team him up with Maclin and they've got a real nice WR corps IMO w/ Northcutt in the slot.

The question for me now is whether we're going to see last year's Garrard or the Garrard of '07.

Well not really "iffy" I guess but think of it this way, if he struggles to make much on an impact, it wouldn't be that big of a surprise, would it? And the Jags said they're apparently not signing those types of FA's after last offseason.

BTW someone mentioned on another forum the deal has no signing bonus, just a guaranteed 2009 base salary? In that case he can be cut freely next offseason if need be. 2010 and 2011 is fluff money. So it's not quite like the Porter signing and is fairly low risk.

Matthew Jones
04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.

holt_bruce81
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Good signing by the Jaguars. I wish Torry the best of luck!

gpngc
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Not exactly sure why he got a three-year deal but at least the Jaguars are still making an attempt to get good wide receivers. I agree they overpaid and his contract is too long but you can't fault them for trying to get better. Holt is still a good wide receiver.

The poster above explained it. There's no signing bonus so if he's cut it won't hurt their cap. They have him under contract for three years, yes, but if he shows decline they'll simply cut him with no detriment.

Hurricanes25
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.

Unbiased
04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Does this mean that Jacksonville will most likely take a LT in the first. I strongly thought that Maclin would be the pick if Sanchez doesnt fall.

I think the only way we would take a LT is if Monroe fell to us at #8. My personal preference is to get B.J. Raji, but I would have no problem at all with Monroe, Maclin, Crabtree, or Jenkins.

Thunder&Lightning
04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Going to be weird seeing Holt in a Jags jersey

cdf_2108
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
This is kind of like the contract extension the Pats gave to Moss, except his was for 3 years, 27 million.

Obviously a much safer signing than Jerry Porter.

Torry Holt is extremely hardworking and takes cares of his body better than anybody in the offseason. He might not be the dominant form of old but he'll earn his contract on the playing field so long as he stays healthy.

I think this makes the Jags pick very interesting. Maybe they draft Raji and pair him up with Henderson ala Marcus Stroud, pretty good value for him at #8. The only OT left might be Michael Oher at that spot and I don't know if you pull the trigger on Oher in the top 10.

I still don't buy the Sanchez hype with Jacksonville, they signed Garrard to a 6 year 60 million extension a year and a half ago.

They could still go WR as they lost Wilford, Williams, and Jones so there's still a need, even with the Holt signing.

My guess is Maclin/Crabtree or Raji.

The Unseen
04-20-2009, 08:27 PM
woooooooooo.

yeah, I'm not worried about the money at all. Like BF51 said, Porter got 10 million a year.

Caddy
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
If there are little to no signing bonuses then this is a solid deal. Allows the Jags to just cut him if and when his play starts to rapidly decline.

MetSox17
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Torry Holt is extremely hardworking and takes cares of his body better than anybody in the offseason.

Sure as heck not better than Terrell Owens.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Well they also signed Tra Thomas this offseason so they have two short term solutions at LT with Thomas and now at WR with Holt. My bet would be on Raji right now, but I wouldn't rule out Sanchez or Maclin either. I doubt Crabtree and Monroe fall to them at 8 and I'm not even sure if Maclin will make it past Oakland. With the extension they just gave Garrard I doubt they'll take Sanchez. I think their expressed interest in him is more of a smoke screen.

diabsoule
04-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Does this rule out Maclin at #9 if he's still on the board or is he still very much in the running?

GB12
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Does this rule out Maclin at #9 if he's still on the board or is he still very much in the running?
Maclin at 9 is completely out of the question.

At 8 there might still be a chance.

3pac
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I hate the Jags, but this is a good move. They should still draft Maclin and let him come in as a #2, so he doesn't have all the added pressure of performing amazingly well from the get-go.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Un Bastardo!

JT Jag
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Considering the rumblings coming out of Jacksonville that the Jaguars are considering a gradual transition into a 3-4 defense, picking Raji makes a lot of sense now.

the decider13
04-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Great deal for the Jags

yodabear
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Looks like I will be getting a Jaguars jersey, it will be weird to see that.... Obviously think this is a great move for the Jags, and they quickly shoot up my list of favorite AFC teams. Gonna be a weird week 6 when we go to Jacksonville and see Holt on the other sidelines, granted we will more than likey be 0-5, and Jacksonville will be much better than that hopefully. I really hope to see them and Holt do well.

killxswitch
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Probably a good move by the Jags. Dammit.

Solomon
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
This gives the Jaguars alot of directions they can go in the draft; Raji, Sanchez, Stafford, Crabtree, Monroe, Jason Smith, Curry or Maclin. At least one of them will be available at #8 and the Jags could use any of them. Curry is somebody I haven't heard linked to them yet in mocks, but he would be a great fit and could slide in the draft.

E-Man
04-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I'll go out on a small limb and say he gets 1,000 yards next season. The guy had a nice streak before last season, and last year was more of the Rams team struggles than him having an off year. With the level of skill he has I think he can still do damage. Guys like him can play for a good amount of time into their 30s.

Malaka
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree I believe Torry Holt will be able of putting up pretty good numbers on the Jags, it is a great move by them, now they have at least one competent receiver on that team, I think Maclin + Holt would make a great duo for Garrard... I know Jags fans agree :)