PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays Vs. Eric Berry

superman
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
a) who get's drafted 1st next year?

b) why the heck is berry a ss and mays a fs? i'd expect it to be opposite. so what position do each project in the nfl?

BRAVEHEART
04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
how many of these threads must be made?

superman
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
must be made= 0

are made = ?

the decider13
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Eric Berry>Superman(not you, the real superman)

Thumper
04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Eric Berry is a FS and so is Mays. Berry is a playmaker and good in coverage but Mays is lockdown in deep coverage as he is put deep almost every play (Laron Landry of college ball). Give me Berry every single day of the week, I have a HUGE man-crush on him, but I would be happy with Mays.

BRAVEHEART
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
must be made= 0

are made = ?

Search, there are a ton of these BerryVSMays threads.

superman
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
i do think berry is the better football player but i think somebody is going to fall in love with may's combine

although i doubt he really runs his rumored 4.2

superman
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Search, there are a ton of these BerryVSMays threads.

so don't read this one? i don't know what to tell ya. sorry?

BRAVEHEART
04-20-2009, 08:16 PM
so don't read this one? i don't know what to tell ya. sorry?

You don't get it.....

smh

Cigaro
04-20-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Tennessee+v+Vanderbilt+GEfCOXCi08ql.jpg

Eric Berry isn't the son of God, he IS God.

TitanHope
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Berry is at SS in order to allow him to be in position to make more plays. That's why they moved him from CB, because they didn't want him to be limited to one side of the field. Plus, he hits like a LB.

I have Berry ahead of Mays. Plus, Berry's combine won't be anything to sneeze at either.

abaddon41_80
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Berry is going to be by far the best safety prospect that I can remember.

JRTPlaya21
04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Berry is going to be by far the best safety prospect that I can remember.

After the late great Sean Taylor.

abaddon41_80
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
After the late great Sean Taylor.

Berry > Sean Taylor + LaRon Landry

WMD
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Taylor Mays won't be in next years draft. The Lions are taking him #1 this year.

Thumper
04-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I think Taylor Mays and Eric Berry is going to be epic. Mays is underrated because he is not used in run defense at all. He is always playing the deep pass and playing over the top. If he had the same amount of oppurtunities as Berry he would be on the level of Sean Taylor but I would still prefer Eric Berry.

Next years safety class is going to be great especially when you factor in guys like Major Wright, Kam Chancellor, Chad Jones and Deunta Williams. Plus alot more guys who would go round 2 this year are going to fall to round 3, 4 and 5.

Next years draft overall should be great.

Brent
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
At the moment, I would take Taylor Mays because I am just blown away by how well he did playing Cover 1 all season without giving up any big plays.

Thumper
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
At the moment, I would take Taylor Mays because I am just blown away by how well he did playing Cover 1 all season without giving up any big plays.

I agree with that part. Mays would be unstoppable in a scheme like one that the Eagles run where he would be free to hit when he pleases. He hits like a truck and is a coverage ace, scary combination and then you factor in those workout numbers that are 6'3" 220 pounds with 4.4 speed, he is a freak of nature.

D-Unit
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Believe it or not, people were creating these threads last year for William Moore and Taylor Mays and of course William Moore was everybody's choice.

I stuck with Mays then, and I'll stick with him now over Berry.

Don't forget Major Wright.

Thumper
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Believe it or not, people were creating these threads last year for William Moore and Taylor Mays and of course William Moore was everybody's choice.

I stuck with Mays then, and I'll stick with him now over Berry.

Don't forget Major Wright.

I like Wright because he reminds me a little bit of Dawkins with his hard hitting style but he is a distant #3 IMO. Mays and Berry could potentially both go top 5.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Eric Berry is a once a decade Safety prospect.

superman
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM

so is taylor mays

and sean taylor

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-20-2009, 09:09 PM
The only thing Berry lacks is exceptional size, I think he's around 6 feet, 200 pounds.

But he really compares favorably to Ed Reed.

Taylor Mays is a specimen and if he manages to run under 4.4 at close to 230 pounds, I see him going in the top 5. I used to be down on him because he doesn't get INTs, but if he's 6'3, 230 and tracks the ball like a CB and has the size and hitting ability of a LB, no WRs or TEs are ever gonna catch the ball when he's in coverage.

Personally, I'd like to see him switch to OLB.

And abbadon, only a non Skins fan, or non 'Canes fan would diss a dead man like that.

Pat yourself on the back and be proud, stud.

Thumper
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Sean Taylor is by far IMO the best safety prospect ever.

RaiderNation
04-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I think its pretty fair to say that one of these guys will probably be draft by the raiders next year if we dont draft a saftey in the top 3 rounds this year

hagy34
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I think Mays. That guy is just a freak, although I'm probably bias because I love USC.

diabsoule
04-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a man crash on Taylor Mays so I'll take him.

D-Unit
04-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Sean Taylor is by far IMO the best safety prospect ever.

That is true. He was truly great.

Burns336
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Taylor Mays is going to play both SS in the box (which he didn't do last year) and deep FS (which he did exclusively last year) according to Pete Carroll, so Mays will definitely have an opportunity to show that he isn't just a workout warrior.

He can be as good as he wants to be this year. Apparently he's been talking a lot with Ronnie Lott and is predicting big things for himself. We'll see what he does.

Right now, Berry is ahead of him by most accounts but that could change by mid season.

Burns336
04-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I think Taylor Mays and Eric Berry is going to be epic. Mays is underrated because he is not used in run defense at all. He is always playing the deep pass and playing over the top. If he had the same amount of oppurtunities as Berry he would be on the level of Sean Taylor but I would still prefer Eric Berry.

Next years safety class is going to be great especially when you factor in guys like Major Wright, Kam Chancellor, Chad Jones and Deunta Williams. Plus alot more guys who would go round 2 this year are going to fall to round 3, 4 and 5.

Next years draft overall should be great.

Don't forget Morgan Burnett!

Next years safety class is going to be bad ass. I've counted as many as 5 who could grade out as first rounders.

They probably won't all go in the 1st based off of need, but the talent is there.

CashmoneyDrew
04-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Berry could be a hall of famer at any position in the secondary IMO. But don't let my homerness influence you!

04-20-2009, 10:39 PM

and what exactly is Taylor Mays ... ?

TACKLE
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Over/Under: 39 Eric Berry vs. Taylor Mays threads prior to the 2010 draft.

And nobody can touch Taylor as a prospect. He had Taylor May's build with Eric Berry production and play making ability. ST had 10 INT's as a senior and was a bigger hitter than Mays and Berry. Also, he always showed up and played his best in big games.

Flyboy
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Ahhh. Sean Taylor.

:(

superman
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
i'm not saying he will be as good by any means

but taylor mays can definitely "touch" sean taylor prospect-wise, especially if he works out half as good as people say

sean taylor's work out numbers were pretty disappointing compared to expectations

Texas Homer
04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I'd take both in a heart beat, but I'd take Berry over Mays.

Staubach12
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Berry is thew best safety prospect I've ever seen other than Sean Taylor. Mays is good, but he's not on Berry's level.

StackJaxx
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
i am a die hard cal fan, and i would take mays over berry. i honestly can say he is the scariest safety i have seen in person. everytime one of wr's went across the middle or deep, i was scared for their lives. im not dissing berry, but mays may be better.

Mr. Hero
04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Sergio Kindlezzz

Paranoidmoonduck
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM

Sure, but Moore was better in 2007 than Mays was. Easily.

Anyway, I think it's really an apples or oranges question. Both are really different safeties and both are really good at what they do. It's going to come down to schematic and character preferences in terms of draft status. I've said my fair share on Mays before (I tracked down my most involved analysis on him, which is here (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1414539&#post1414539), for anyone interested), but my basic opinion is that he's one of the best deep cover safeties I've ever seen and I'm just not sure how valuable that really makes him. There's no doubt that a guy who can tangle with top flight deep threats in the NFL is going to be sought after, but Mays can't get away with just doing that, and while nothing is physically keeping him from blossoming into a wider range of roles (although I don't see him ever being at his best at SS), I don't see the instincts that you see in those safeties which earn the playmaker moniker.

As for Berry, I need to see a lot more of him before I make up my mind. From what I have seen, I do see more instincts and natural football talent (as much as I hate that phrase, I'm forced to use it because I don't catch much Tennessee football). He's already displayed more versatility than Mays and has the anticipation that is vital to being a safety who can beat guys to the ball in the NFL. Like I said, I need more time to watch him, but if I had a top 10 pick and I needed a safety, I'd lean heavily in the favor of Berry right now.

Saints-Tigers
04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Eric Berry is a much bigger impact player right now, it's not even close, the way he dominates is something Taylor Mays hasn't come close to at this point.

Edit: Yea, what Paranoidmoonduck said, Mays is a heck of an athlete, but he's not close to Berry in terms of actual instincts.

Picking Mays means you think he's going to get a whole lot better, and Berry won't at all, because it's a pretty big gap right now.

Texas Homer
04-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Eric Berry is a much bigger impact player right now, it's not even close.I agree. I'm not hating on Mays either. If Mays had come out this year for the 09 draft, then I'd want my Texans to take Mays at #15.

Berry or Mays though, give me Berry. Mays is bigger and may be faster, but Berry is a better playmaker and difference maker right now.

GhostDeini
04-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I would never draft a USC Trojan. All their superstars are flopping as pros. Taylor Mays is so overrated it's disgusting. This bum was AP All American with NO production. I mean NONE ! zero ints, zero forced fumbles, zero tackles for loss, and just 1 int the year before. Now Eric Berry is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with production. Something like 14 ints in only 2 years and SEC record in return yardage, again as SOPHMORE.This kid has speed,range, & hitting ability ( ask Moreno ).

USCTrojan83
04-21-2009, 04:51 AM
You wouldn't draft a USC Trojan? Our superstars are not flopping by the way. Here's some names that haven't flopped in recent years.

Carson Palmer
Troy Polamalu
Sedrick Ellis
Matt Cassell
Lofa Tatupu
Justin Fargas
Mike Patterson
Reggie Bush
Steve Smith
Sam Baker
LenDale White

Yes, there have been some USC players that have flopped but what school hasn't had their players been bust in the NFL?

BRAVEHEART
04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
I would never draft a USC Trojan. All their superstars are flopping as pros. Taylor Mays is so overrated it's disgusting. This bum was AP All American with NO production. I mean NONE ! zero ints, zero forced fumbles, zero tackles for loss, and just 1 int the year before. Now Eric Berry is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with production. Something like 14 ints in only 2 years and SEC record in return yardage, again as SOPHMORE.This kid has speed,range, & hitting ability ( ask Moreno ).

http://www.joewrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/haters-gonna-hate.gif

USCTrojan83
04-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Eric Berry is a much bigger impact player right now, it's not even close, the way he dominates is something Taylor Mays hasn't come close to at this point.

Edit: Yea, what Paranoidmoonduck said, Mays is a heck of an athlete, but he's not close to Berry in terms of actual instincts.

Picking Mays means you think he's going to get a whole lot better, and Berry won't at all, because it's a pretty big gap right now.

I'm a huge USC fan. Although i do agree that Berry has the production, Taylor Mays doesn't need to have all those "pretty" stats in order for the USC defense to thrive. There are plenty of playmakers on that defense that make up for having just one guy make up all the defensive production. His job wasn't to rush the passer or just to stand in the middle of the field. The QB's hardly ever tried to throw it in the middle for fear of their WR's getting knocked the Sh!T out of. The way that those guys play for there respective teams is different.

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm a huge USC fan. Although i do agree that Berry has the production, Taylor Mays doesn't need to have all those "pretty" stats in order for the USC defense to thrive. There are plenty of playmakers on that defense that make up for having just one guy make up all the defensive production. His job wasn't to rush the passer or just to stand in the middle of the field. The QB's hardly ever tried to throw it in the middle for fear of their WR's getting knocked the Sh!T out of. The way that those guys play for there respective teams is different.

You realize that Eric Berry was getting that production on a top 5 defense with all kinds of play-makers besides him as well right? It's not like he's the only player on Tennessee's defense.

toddmlazarchick
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM

You sir are outside your mind!

:( Gosh how sad it is to think of what they could have been together

Solomon
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
The Way I see it.

MAYS:

Pros - Terrific size, speed and athleticism. Big hitter who make receivers think twice about crossing the middle. Fantastic in deep coverage and covers alot of ground.

Cons - Doesn't make as many impact plays as you would like to see (doesn't get many ints or forced fumbles). Sometimes doesn't wrap up as well as he should, relying on his size and aggresion to drill guys instead of making sure he brings the ball carrier down.

Pro Comparison: I don't know if I've ever seen a prospect with his kind of physical makeup, the closest I can come up with is Sean Taylor.

BERRY

Pros - Very good speed and coverage abilty. A playmaker who breaks on the ball tremendously well, has the hands for the interception and the wheels to take it to the house after the interception. Excellent instincts. Hard hitter who isn't afraid to take on bigger backs and receiver. Good tackler.

Cons - Size might be an issue at the next level although it obviously isn't in college. Is a bit slight for an NFL strong safety at 195 lbs, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is 5-10 or shorter. What position does he project best to in the NFL?

Pro Comparison - Rod Woodson

Sniper
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I love them both. Like, I have an almost Charles Woodson-esque man crush on Eric Berry. It's almost repulsive, but it's not quite there yet. I also love Taylor Mays. He made Kevin Ellison look good at SS because Mays could cover so well. I'd give the slightest of edges to Berry because of his versatility. However, those who knock Mays' production need to watch SC games before they speak.

Sniper
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I would never draft a USC Trojan. All their superstars are flopping as pros.

Would you also pass on Michael Crabtree? I mean, besides Wes Welker, there haven't been any good Texas Tech receivers in the NFL. According to your infallible logic, Crabtree sucks, si?

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Cons - Size might be an issue at the next level although it obviously isn't in college. Is a bit slight for an NFL strong safety at 195 lbs, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is 5-10 or shorter. What position does he project best to in the NFL?
Pro Comparison - Rod Woodson

I doubt size is an issue. He's a legit 5'11 and he was listed at 200 lbs last season and from spring pictures it looks as if he's put on some more muscle. I think he'll be hovering around 210 by the time he gets to the pros.

Saints-Tigers
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I love them both. Like, I have an almost Charles Woodson-esque man crush on Eric Berry. It's almost repulsive, but it's not quite there yet. I also love Taylor Mays. He made Kevin Ellison look good at SS because Mays could cover so well. I'd give the slightest of edges to Berry because of his versatility. However, those who knock Mays' production need to watch SC games before they speak.

I don't knock Mays' production, but in comparison to Berry's? No comparison.

I think Mays gets a bit overrated because people see a big guy with phenomenal speed and automatically assume he is all over the field delivering knockout blows. He's not like Sean Taylor laying guys out all over the field, partially because of the scheme where he sat deep in cover 1, but partially because he's just not as instinctive on delivering the blow like that.

Mays is a terrific player, a great player now with a lot more upside to tap into, but Mays is a top 10-15 kind of pick, and Berry is a safety that could end up a top 3 pick, which is scary.

I want Berry on the Saints more than I want to bone Eva Mendez. I'd love Mays, but I might bone Mendez over taking Mays(toss up).

Sniper
04-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Mays' production isn't an accurate representation of what he does on the field. If he were to be moved around like Berry is, I'm certain his production would balloon.

Texas Homer
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
They are both HUGE talents. You can't really go wrong with either.It is hard to beat Mays size and potential, but you can't not notice Berry's stats and production.

Don Vito
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
They are both HUGE talents. You can't really go wrong with either.It is hard to beat Mays size and potential, but you can't not notice Berry's stats and production.

Agreed, you can't really go wrong with either of them. As of now I would take Berry because of the constant impact he makes. He could be a stud corner but he is so good that you would be taking away from his game if he were kept on one side of the field. He could beast from anywhere in the secondary, and people often forget how great of an athlete Berry is when comparing him to Mays. Mays is a freak, but Berry is a monster in his own right.

If Mays gets more opporitunities to play closer to the line and isn't relegated to cover 1, then it could be a different story. Mays has everything you ask for physically, but he is just so good being the last line of defense USC hasn't asked him to do much else. I can't wait to see him have a little more freedom this year, it should be fun to watch. If the Patriots could end up with either of these guys I would probably pass out.

superman
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
eric berry kind of reminds me of michael huff

Sniper
04-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Except 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better.

Don Vito
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Ed Reed with a lot more horsepower

Burns336
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Like I posted on the earlier pages, Taylor Mays will be playing in the box this year about half the time according to Carroll. Carroll said one of the main reasons for doing this was to enable Mays to show his all around game and prepare him for the next level.

Malaka
04-21-2009, 02:27 PM
People who knock on Taylor Mays' production please realize he is playing in a cover 1 system where most of the time he is the only safety out there, and has to cover the entire field which he is capable of doing, or even when Ellison was on the field he still lock-down the entire field ala LaRon Landry, once he plays in a system that allows him to be more free his stats will explode up. Mays has great size, speed, and is a bigger hitter than most people think, the only thing I may question is his ball skills, but I can't really judge that too much as he is playing in cover 1.

superman
04-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Ed Reed with a lot more horsepower

actually yeah ill go with that more so.

i wasn't dissing berry. as a prospect michael huff was pretty elite. i wasn't talking about how he is now that we know he sucks.

Saints-Tigers
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
People who knock on Taylor Mays' production please realize he is playing in a cover 1 system where most of the time he is the only safety out there, and has to cover the entire field which he is capable of doing, or even when Ellison was on the field he still lock-down the entire field ala LaRon Landry, once he plays in a system that allows him to be more free his stats will explode up. Mays has great size, speed, and is a bigger hitter than most people think, the only thing I may question is his ball skills, but I can't really judge that too much as he is playing in cover 1.

Even the way Landry was being used, he still had a much bigger and more consistent impact on the game.

Landry's sacks were some of the furthest blitzes I ever saw, and the way he was dropped back so deep but was still able to meet running backs at the line.... I always laughed when this site questioned his athletic ability and speed (though everyone denies it now).

Malaka
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Even the way Landry was being used, he still had a much bigger and more consistent impact on the game.

Landry's sacks were some of the furthest blitzes I ever saw, and the way he was dropped back so deep but was still able to meet running backs at the line.... I always laughed when this site questioned his athletic ability and speed (though everyone denies it now).

I didn't care much for the draft back then so I can't make an accurate statement about Landry, but either way Landry was an elite safety prospect and I believe Mays is an elite safety prospect.

wicket
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
i have berry slightly above mays but they are two of the sickest prospects ever at their position. IMO they are both top 10 safety prospects of all time talentwise

superman
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
here's another question

would either be in the running to be the #1 pick this year? i mean, the lions aren't exactly set at safety. and a safety has never been the #1 overall pick, but...

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I think we're overrating both players a little. I don't think either profiles as a top 5 pick unless a teams need there is exceptional.

superman
04-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I think we're overrating both players a little. I don't think either profiles as a top 5 pick unless a teams need there is exceptional.

wasn't sean taylor #5 though?

i mean if these guys produce

AND mays tears up the combine, he could be a better prospect

holt_bruce81
04-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll take Eric Berry.

GhostDeini
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Taylor Mays makes no plays cuz he plays in _________ system, LMAO! Sorry but making no plays is inexcusable. Kenny Phillips had a 3 int game once. NO EXCUSES !!! And did Darnell Bing NOT recently happen ?? Enough said.

Yatta!
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
What are the chances that Berry reverts to CB in the NFL?

superman
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Taylor Mays makes no plays cuz he plays in _________ system, LMAO! Sorry but making no plays is inexcusable. Kenny Phillips had a 3 int game once. NO EXCUSES !!! And did Darnell Bing NOT recently happen ?? Enough said.
did david greene just not recently happen?

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 06:53 PM
What are the chances that Berry reverts to CB in the NFL?

Reverts? He only played CB at Tennessee for a game or two, tops.

superman
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Reverts? He only played CB at Tennessee for a game or two, tops.

wasn't he a cb all through hs and the top recruit as a cb?

Yatta!
04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I just remember he started out there and I didn't catch much of Tennesse during his freshman year. It's been pointed out numerous times in this thread that he is versatile and I think his skillset fits equally well at corner.

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
wasn't he a cb all through hs and the top recruit as a cb?

IDK. All I've seen of him from his high school tape, he was playing QB.

GhostDeini
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
How has Reggie Bust not flopped ? Blair Thom...I mean Reggie Bust hasnt even reached 600 yards rushing in a season yet. He is main reason I made my original statement of avoiding USC Trojans. They only have like 3 decent pros (Polamalu,Palmer,Tatupu) rest blow.

tdchrisdavis
04-21-2009, 08:06 PM
His film speaks for itself.

YIfRBFALl2E

Mays is a great prospect and will be a very good pro, but Berry is the kind of guy that completely changes games. His speed and ball skills are excellent, but like a Sean Taylor or Ed Reed he just has a nose for the football. If you watched any Tennessee games this year, when UT was on defense you couldn't go 2 plays without seeing Berry involved. With ~15 more yards on INTs he will be the SEC all-time leader in INT yards, and he's only used up half his eligibility.

It would be interesting to see Mays play on a defense like Tennessee and Berry on a defense like USC. Mays would see an increase in his big plays since he wouldn't have the same talent around him (yet still very talented obviously), but his flaws might be exposed a bit more.

J52
04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Taylor Mays system is not enough of a reason to be as absent as he is. I watched USC play four or five times last year. He was not playing center field any where near as often as his supporters will tell you.

He is a solid safety prospect no doubt, but to compare him to Sean Taylor and Eric Berry is just ludicrous.

If anybody watched the Miami vs FSU rain game in 2003 then you probably still have a lasting image in your head of what a dominate safety prospect is. Taylor had two pics, multiple backfield tackles, seven or so deflections etc.

Sean Taylor had more impact plays in that game then I've seen over the course of Taylor Mays career.

They really aren't comparable other then the 6'3 220 aspect.

tdchrisdavis
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
If anybody watched the Miami vs FSU rain game in 2003 then you probably still have a lasting image in your head of what a dominate safety prospect is. Taylor had two pics, multiple backfield tackles, seven or so deflections etc.

I think I broke my remote watching that game.

I remember Rix overthrowing a receiver and Taylor dodging about 8 tackles on his way to the endzone.

I do also remember Greg Jones running over Taylor in the rematch though.

Brent
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I remember Rix
I thought most FSU fans buried his memory in deep, deep repressed parts of their brains? The guy couldnt hold a wet football to save his life.

Honestly, though, I think everyone here would GLADLY take either for their team.

tdchrisdavis
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I thought most FSU fans buried his memory in deep, deep repressed parts of their brains? The guy couldnt hold a wet football to save his life.

Honestly, though, I think everyone here would GLADLY take either for their team.

I blame Adrian McPherson much more than I blame Chris Rix. With the OL, OC and QB coach he had, Rix gets a pass.

jsagan77
04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Taylor Mays has the physical acumen of Sean Taylor but Eric Berry plays like Sean Taylor.. But neither will ever be Sean Taylor...

FWIW, Eric Berry FTW...

jsagan77
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
How has Reggie Bust not flopped ? Blair Thom...I mean Reggie Bust hasnt even reached 600 yards rushing in a season yet. He is main reason I made my original statement of avoiding USC Trojans. They only have like 3 decent pros (Polamalu,Palmer,Tatupu) rest blow.

I'll tell you why...! Reggie Bush is a PPR Fantasy Football GOD! He's seriously the ultimate weapon. No other RB can catch 10 balls for 34 yards, rush for 15 on 18 carries, score 2 TD's (Both on Special teams) and 4 two point conversions besides Reggie Bush. 34.9 fantasy points in my league baby!

superman
04-21-2009, 11:50 PM
who would you rather have on your team in their nfl prime, ed reed or sean taylor (unfortunately we probably didn't get to see his prime, but you can imagine)?

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
It's going to be like having Sean Taylor and Ed Reed in the same draft. You're gonna be good to go with either one.

superman
04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
It's going to be like having Sean Taylor and Ed Reed in the same draft. You're gonna be good to go with either one.

although the chances of both ending up living up to those is slim, yeah i agree prospect wise

TACKLE
04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Mays looks like he's sculpted out of clay. No h0m0.
http://i29.tinypic.com/de6xb9.jpg

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
wasn't sean taylor #5 though?

i mean if these guys produce

AND mays tears up the combine, he could be a better prospect

Mays might time better than Taylor, but I doubt he ends up profiling as a better prospect.

superman
04-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Mays might time better than Taylor, but I doubt he ends up profiling as a better prospect.

right now i agree. depends what kind of stats he can put up this year.

USCTrojan83
04-22-2009, 01:11 AM

Reggie Bush isn't that type of player that going to get 1,000 yards consistently. But did you notice last year that he was killing it until he got hurt. I'm pretty sure he was in the top three for overall TD's. And look at the production of what Mike Patterson has been doing in Philly. He's already had a season that he's had over 100 tackles. A lot of USC players are either in their 3rd year or lower. So don't just call them bust yet. Also, Justin Fargas has already had a 1,000 yard season for the Raiders. He signed an extension because he did so well that year.

USCTrojan83
04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
I agree with everyone here that Berry has more production. Nobody can deny that. But as far as a prospect goes, Mays has it all. Just wait until the combine when you see a 6'3 235 lb safety running a 4.3 and benching 225 at least 25 times. I guarantee that all the scouts are going to love his showing at the combine and then you'll get to see his Pro Day. The guy is a freak and can hit harder than anyone in the Pac10. Rey even gave him his props and everyone was scared of him.

superman
04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
i think they'll both end up running about a 4.45

which won't hurt either stock at all

USCTrojan83
04-22-2009, 01:49 AM

They might but Mays actually was running track while in high school. I'm pretty sure he was a state champion in Washington for like the 200m race. It's something like that.

BRAVEHEART
04-22-2009, 01:58 AM
They might but Mays actually was running track while in high school. I'm pretty sure he was a state champion in Washington for like the 200m race. It's something like that.

He was, he's also the fastest player on USC.

The Legend
04-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Taylor Mays still has to prove himself.

MenOfTroy
04-22-2009, 02:25 AM

USC leads all schools with the most NFL Hall of Famers, Pro Bowl selections, and players on Super Bowl-winning teams.

Carson Palmer
Matt Cassel
Troy Polamalu
Lofa Tatupu
Sam Baker
Keith Rivers
Sedrick Ellis
Ryan Kalil
Deuce Lutui
Chilo Rachal
LenDale White
Reggie Bush (not a pure RB, but who expected him to be? He makes the Saints offense much better)
Justin Fargas
Steve Smith
Mike Patterson

Those guys are either successful or promising pros. 'SC has had a few busts, but that's intrinsic to any school.

MenOfTroy
04-22-2009, 02:26 AM

Taylor Mays has run a 4.25. Pete Carroll is on record saying he's the fastest player on the team.

GhostDeini
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM
HAHAHA. You USC fans keep giving me a very unimpressive list of pros. Kinda proves my point really. This isnt the 70's or 80's people. All time HOF'ers and Pro Bowlers means nothing to me now. The guys USC has produced this decade is a flat out joke. USC as a school isnt even top 10 in players in the NFL now. Miami obviously killing everyone, then it's FSU & UGA.

USCTrojan83
04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
HAHAHA. You USC fans keep giving me a very unimpressive list of pros. Kinda proves my point really. This isnt the 70's or 80's people. All time HOF'ers and Pro Bowlers means nothing to me now. The guys USC has produced this decade is a flat out joke. USC as a school isnt even top 10 in players in the NFL now. Miami obviously killing everyone, then it's FSU & UGA.

I'll agree with you on miami. But Fla St? Come on, who in this past decade has been good from FLA St? Anquan Boldin is the only one i can think of. UGA? There's not too many also. Give me some facts and actually people from this decade that are good from FLA St and UGA.

Sniper
04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson=BEAST!

irishbucsfan
04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I'll agree with you on miami. But Fla St? Come on, who in this past decade has been good from FLA St? Anquan Boldin is the only one i can think of. UGA? There's not too many also. Give me some facts and actually people from this decade that are good from FLA St and UGA.

Mr. Derrick Brooks for one.

superman
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Taylor Mays has run a 4.25. Pete Carroll is on record saying he's the fastest player on the team.

c'mon now though...

just this yr everybody was saying cushing would run a 4.4

mays will run a solid 4.4 which is great for his size. saying he's the fastest on the team is just adding to his hype.

USCTrojan83
04-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Mr. Derrick Brooks for one.

We were talking about players being drafted this decade from that school.

superman
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
here you go you guys

http://cfn.scout.com/2/723182.html

Sniper
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
here you go you guys

LaMarr Woodley as a 3-4 DL? Honestly?

The secondary is excellent.

With CW2 (PBHN) on the team, you bet your ass it's excellent.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
The only thing I worry about Taylor Mays, which is the difference in his becoming a solid/good pro and a great, potential HOFer, are his instincts on the football field, which to date he hasn't really demonstrated that he's exceptional in this area.

He covers his assignments, fine, but Mays doesn't appear to be the type of DB who can pre-snap diagnose a play, cheat a little on his man, and pursue to the ball and make the play he wasn't expected to make.

To me, IMO, this is one of the ways you define a great player, by how many plays they make when you really don't expect them to, or especially a lesser player, to make the same play.

Sean Taylor did this all the time, made plays in the passing game where you expected the CB to get the turnover, or made plays in the running game where you expected a LB to deliver the blow or make the tackle.

Mays is assignment sound, but you don't see enough game-changing plays from him.

But I will say that his ability to cover deep and his physical presence alone in USC's secondary can't be underestimated. In many ways, he was the backbone of their pass defense, and if he didn't play well, the USC pass defense suffered.

SRogers92
04-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Carson Palmer
Troy Polamalu
Sedrick Ellis
Matt Cassell
Lofa Tatupu
Justin Fargas
Mike Patterson
Reggie Bush
Steve Smith
Sam Baker
LenDale White

Bolded guys aren't that great ... Sam Baker didn't do much of anything last year, so -- technically he hasn't fallen on his face because he hasn't really had the shot, but -- all of the other guys are average, at best ... It's sad when Justin Fargas is the best player of all of them ... you sorta just helped his arguement ...

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Let's not mince words, for being the second pick in the entire draft and the comparisons to Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers, the fact that the "best runner in a generation" hasn't produced one 1000 yard season thus far in his career is shameful.

I remember how bad pundits were hammering Houston for selecting Mario Williams and that it was a mistake that would plague their franchise for a decade.

If Reggie has got it in him, now's the time to step it up.

USC IMO is still the arguably the best program in college football, but what I'm shocked by is the lack of pro WRs produced under Carroll.

I gotta think at some point he's going to bring in more 6'2-6'4 guys who run sub 4.5 and are more natural pro prospects, but considering how productive they are running that pro style offense, very few offensive skill position players from USC graduate to the NFL.

Brent
04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
CW2 (PBHN)
It's scary to think about how awesome he was on college.

Sniper
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
It's scary to think about how awesome he was on college.

z09R3uZinGs&feature=related

Nowadays, I'd take a simple PBU from UM's corners on that play.

pI1lZCpBCWE

Nowdays, I'd take a PR hanging onto the ball.

KPYT-lA5lKI&feature=related

What a studmuffin. <3

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:01 AM
lemme get this straight, both these guys run 4.2/4.3 forties according to rumors? Boy is that combine gonna be a dissapointment.

tdchrisdavis
04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
here you go you guys

That list is a year old and many of the players are no longer on NFL rosters.

Saints-Tigers
04-22-2009, 12:03 PM
lemme get this straight, both these guys run 4.2/4.3 forties according to rumors? Boy is that combine gonna be a dissapointment.

Indeed, what happens if Mays measures in at 225 and runs a 4.47? Does everyone's man crush end?

No way he runs a 4.25 at the combine or USC pro day... do USC fans think he's faster than Reggie Bush.

Taylor is a freak, I'm not sure he is THE freak, enough to take him over a guy that just flat out dominates games.

Addict
04-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Indeed, what happens if Mays measures in at 225 and runs a 4.47? Does everyone's man crush end?

No way he runs a 4.25 at the combine or USC pro day... do USC fans think he's faster than Reggie Bush.

Taylor is a freak, I'm not sure he is THE freak, enough to take him over a guy that just flat out dominates games.

I didn't mean to bash either of them. I don't think Berry runs a 4.2 either. I'm sure they're both great, but if a 4.2 is what's expected, it's going to be really, really hard not to dissapoint.

YAYareaRB
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Bold + Wrong = Your post

Solomon
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM

Florida State since 2000

Laveranues Coles
Darnell Dockett
Javon Walker
Brodrick Bunkley
Ernie Sims
Antonio Cromartie (although last year was garbage)
Bryant McFadden
Chris Hope

On the whole pretty comparable to the talent that USC has pumped out.

Michigan has actually pumped out some of the most impressive players of the past decade and 8 of them have played in a super bowl:

Tom Brady
Steve Breaston
Braylon Edwards
Jake Long
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Backus
David Baas
Lamarr Woodley
Gabe Watson
David Harris
Cato June
Dhani Jones
Marlin Jackson
Leon Hall

CashmoneyDrew
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
I didn't mean to bash either of them. I don't think Berry runs a 4.2 either. I'm sure they're both great, but if a 4.2 is what's expected, it's going to be really, really hard not to dissapoint.

You won't hear me saying Berry will run a 4.2. No shot in hell. I'm thinking more of a 4.4 flat.

Burns336
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Carson Palmer
Troy Polamalu
Sedrick Ellis
Matt Cassell
Lofa Tatupu
Justin Fargas
Mike Patterson
Reggie Bush
Steve Smith
Sam Baker
LenDale White

Bolded guys aren't that great ... Sam Baker didn't do much of anything last year, so -- technically he hasn't fallen on his face because he hasn't really had the shot, but -- all of the other guys are average, at best ... It's sad when Justin Fargas is the best player of all of them ... you sorta just helped his arguement ...

Actually, I would argue that all of the guys you bolded have played quite well given where they were drafted. They only guy you could harp on is Reggie Bush.

Sam Baker had a great start to the year before he got injured. Ask any Falcons fan. He kept Ryan upright.

I would take any of those guys on my team.

Burns336
04-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Florida State since 2000

Laveranues Coles
Darnell Dockett
Javon Walker
Brodrick Bunkley
Ernie Sims
Bryant McFadden
Chris Hope

Michigan has actually pumped out some of the most impressive players of the past decade and 8 of them have played in a super bowl:

Tom Brady
Steve Breaston
Braylon Edwards
Jake Long
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Backus
David Baas
Lamarr Woodley
Gabe Watson
David Harris
Cato June
Dhani Jones
Marlin Jackson
Leon Hall

Except none of those FSU players really touch Troy P or Carson in terms of talents. I'd also say Tatupu is better than any of those guys except for Dockett (who I love)

Sims is overrated, Cro is overrated, Javon Walker is crap...

terribletowel39
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Florida State since 2000

Laveranues Coles
Darnell Dockett
Javon Walker
Brodrick Bunkley
Ernie Sims
Bryant McFadden
Chris Hope

Tom Brady
Steve Breaston
Braylon Edwards
Jake Long
Steve Hutchinson
Jeff Backus
David Baas
Lamarr Woodley
Gabe Watson
David Harris
Cato June
Dhani Jones
Marlin Jackson
Leon Hall
You forgot Lawrence Timmons for FLA-ST, who is a beast.
And Larry Foote for Michigan, who is also a beast.

superman
04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
That list is a year old and many of the players are no longer on NFL rosters.
best i could find. im not arguing anything.

jnew76
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Tim Tebow wears Eric Berry pajamas.

Sniper
04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Tim Tebow wears Tate Forcier pajamas.

Fixed it for you.

wicket
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Fixed it for you.

Tate Forcier wears Nate Montana pyjamas

Sniper
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Tate Forcier wears Nate Montana pyjamas

1. Pyjamas isn't a word.
2. Nate Montana sucks.

tdchrisdavis
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Except none of those FSU players really touch Troy P or Carson in terms of talents. I'd also say Tatupu is better than any of those guys except for Dockett (who I love)

Sims is overrated, Cro is overrated, Javon Walker is crap...

How about pro-bowler Leon Washington?

HawkEye30
04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
interesting tidbit about taylor mays, he's part jewish and part african american, just thought id throw that out there because i had no clue he was jewish

jsa230
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
taylor mays is a jew . . .

in that case eric berry>mays

TitanHope
04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
kMI4qj0pj3E

'Nuff said. :cool:

Burns336
04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
interesting tidbit about taylor mays, he's part jewish and part african american, just thought id throw that out there because i had no clue he was jewish

So he's part White, part Black, part Christian, part Jewish, has had his body sculpted by the Gods, has the size of a Linebacker, the speed of a Corner, plays Safety, and has a 14 inch dick?

Hmmm... This guy really is the total package, isn't he?

HawkEye30
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
So he's part White, part Black, part Christian, part Jewish, has had his body sculpted by the Gods, has the size of a Linebacker, the speed of a Corner, plays Safety, and has a 14 inch dick?

Hmmm... This guy really is the total package, isn't he?

Haha that sums him i guess

djp
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Seriously?

Sean Taylor : 6'2', 225 lbs, 4.45 40, one of the best college safeties ever in terms of production and presence on the field.

Berry is amazing, but he ain't as big as Taylor. That's a linebacker playing safety.