PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for attending the DRAFT?

swans149
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Hey I'm heading to the Draft for the first time this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had any tips to getting a ticket or must see/do things available. Thanks.

Lions better not take Stafford!

Sveen
04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I have no experience attending the draft, but this question has been answered a lot of times here on the forums. One good suggestion is to get in line (very) early to be certain you get in. And if you stick it out both days you will get a ticket to next years draft when you leave.

Caddy
04-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I wish I could go to the draft. :(

Splat
04-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I wish I could go to the draft. :(

I would rather just stay home eat nachos and watch it in HD.

ESimsfan87
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I'll be attending the draft with four of my buddies. I'm the only one of our group that's been in the city before so that should be pretty interesting. But for all four of us it will be the first time we will have gone to the draft.

But some quick information for you regarding a ticket.
1. They're free.
2. They're first come- first serve, wristband style tickets.
3.The NFL is setting up the line on 10 pm Friday and then will start handing out wristbands at midnight.
4. Fans with wristbands are allowed entrance in to Radio City like 2 or 2:30 pm on Saturday.

So, since they are setting up early don't expect to drop by Radio City an hour before the draft starts and expect a wristband. Get there early and wait.

As far as the city goes, I would just try and do some homework on what you want to see. I've been planning this trip since about October and if you google NYC and toursit, you're bound to get a lot of good websites that can help you out.

Oh...and from a Lion fan to another (I think).... I hope the Lions do draft Matthew Stafford.

But above all... have fun. For me this is sure to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

swans149
04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I know the line set-up is at 10pm on friday, but what do you think is a smart time to get in line? I am thinking around 5? Thanks for the info and input is appreciated.

Pitt
04-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Yes, boo the Eagles and Jets picks and you'll fit right in...

Splat
04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Yes, boo the Eagles and Jets picks and you'll fit right in...

Pretty much every pick gets boo'ed kinda lame if you ask me.

ESimsfan87
04-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I know the line set-up is at 10pm on friday, but what do you think is a smart time to get in line? I am thinking around 5? Thanks for the info and input is appreciated.

I have never attended but I remember hearing from other members on this board that until the line is actually formed, the NFL places security around Radio City to prevent an additional line from being formed.

Personally my group is heading to ESPN Zone when we get into the city at around 7 pm and then making are way over to Radio City at 9:30 pm Friday.

bernbabybern820
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I have never attended but I remember hearing from other members on this board that until the line is actually formed, the NFL places security around Radio City to prevent an additional line from being formed.

Personally my group is heading to ESPN Zone when we get into the city at around 7 pm and then making are way over to Radio City at 9:30 pm Friday.

If you are right about them giving out wristbands at midnight i'm just gonna go there, get wristbands, and go back home and sleep. :)

Dark Knight01
04-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Bring a sleeping bag....pillow and plenty of coffee.....

No illegal drugs.....! haha

BuddyCHRIST
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I would rather just stay home eat nachos and watch it in HD.

Me too, it'd would probably be fun to go once but I enjoy watching it on TV and being on the computer so I can get multiple sources of analysis and complaining about picks with other people here.

niel89
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Me too, it'd would probably be fun to go once but I enjoy watching it on TV and being on the computer so I can get multiple sources of analysis and complaining about picks with other people here.

the thing is inside they have 4 big screen that project Espn, NFLN, team on the clock, and last prospect picked. They broadcast the audio over the radio for those people inside. Im bringing my computer and a wireless card so I get to complain too.

its real fun to see peoples reactions and be around fans from every team. plus its all people who also love the draft so there are a ton of people to talk to about it.

CashmoneyDrew
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey I'm heading to the Draft for the first time this weekend, and was wondering if anyone had any tips to getting a ticket or must see/do things available. Thanks.

Prepare to be disappointed then.

bernbabybern820
04-21-2009, 10:12 PM
the thing is inside they have 4 big screen that project Espn, NFLN, team on the clock, and last prospect picked. They broadcast the audio over the radio for those people inside. Im bringing my computer and a wireless card so I get to complain too.

its real fun to see peoples reactions and be around fans from every team. plus its all people who also love the draft so there are a ton of people to talk to about it.

You're allowed to bring in a laptop and they have wi-fi?

niel89
04-22-2009, 01:26 AM
You're allowed to bring in a laptop and they have wi-fi?

I dont see why they wouldnt let it in and i have a sprint internet card

Monomach
04-22-2009, 03:21 AM
My only tip is to sit in the middle of Jets/Eagles fans for maximum laughs.

There's going to be horrified boos/profanity in that section no matter who gets picked.

Brent
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I suggest boozing beforehand.

ThePudge
04-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey man,
I have absolutely no problem giving you the full rundown, plenty of tips, etc. I'll be there for my fifth straight year on Saturday, so I'm in a slightly different boat than you, but I'll help you out. I have class until 1 or so today and I'll post up some stuff once I get back.

My advice would be to read this thread...

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28871

In case, you don't want to use the link, here are some excerpts...

"Now, I never had to stand in the first-come, first-serve, ticket line. I was lucky enough to have VIP tickets my first two years and have gotten the "Day Two Diehard" tickets since. That being said, the line is both the toughest and riskiest part of going to the draft itself.

In the line you will likely be seated in one of the upper two balconies. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's typical of the regulars to be on one of those first two levels, so you won't have the pleasure of talking to someone that has been to the draft multiple times.

Do not go expecting to meet or shake hands with any players. Before they are selected they are in the green room, and afterwards, following when they are picked, they are whisked away for interviews. You may get lucky, and the interview room is only downstairs at Radio City, but don't bank on it. You may see some former picks, I had pictures taken with Mario Williams a couple years back and saw Michael Strahan and Reggie Bush about an arm's length away.

You will be able to choose between NFL Network and ESPN's coverage of the draft. Both provide big screen TV's placed to the left and right of the stage itself. That is the TV coverage, you have a radio to decide which to tune into. Personally, I choose neither, I usually have a lot going on as far as discussion goes.

It is the best place in the world for talking intelligent football. A hot-spot for discussion, ****-talking, and heated arguments hah.

Food situation isn't the best as they won't let you bring it in, and offer only a low variety of food for high prices. I suggest you eat plenty before you get in there. The first day is shorter now, so you should be able to make it the whole time if you get lucky.

I had tickets when I arrived the past four years, so I was guaranteed a place. For advice concerning that type of thing, you'll want to look elsewhere. However, may I suggest, early rather than later. I have witnessed small lines starting at 9-10 PM the evening before. If that's the case, buy a case of beer for you and a buddy, sit in that line, talk football and pound.

It couldn't hurt to contact a team official, though I was only able to get my first two year tickets through a very reliable personal connection with the Philadelphia Eagles. I wouldn't count on it, but as I said, it can't hurt.

If you don't get it, the worst case scenario, I wouldn't panic. There are plenty of sports bars and the ESPN Zone around to watch with fans. Hundreds, perhaps, thousands of people every year don't get in, it's pretty exclusive. So, with that being said, the city will still be loaded with intelligent, though perhaps ill-informed and tired fans.

Either way, stay for the entire second day. It's long, but it's not overly crowded. You can walk right in. The best part of course is guaranteed tickets for staying for all of Day Two. It's a great time too as you can really mess with everyone (such as Kiper, Chris Carter, Jaws, and last year Trey Wingo.) The second day the guards are a bit more lenient, so sneaking food in becomes a real possibility."

"To inform you, because no one has yet: don't bother bringing too much materials with you to the draft itself. Perhaps your favorite draft magazine to see where the "experts" grade the players and a personal big board/positional rankings. They treat you pretty well...

At the draft you will receive a bag (a nice drawstring bag the past two years.) That bad will contain an official NFL folder which contains a first round mock draft pool that can be submitted beforehand for prizes, a nice sized pamphlet with a list of the draft order and teams, where you can simply write in the player when they are drafted. Also they will provide a big board, typically PFW's Top 100 or something, on a sheet of paper. In the bag will also be some football cards and a small radio and headphones that will allow you listen to NFLN's or ESPN's broadcast.

So, if you want to do a mock draft pool with your friends, good idea, but just so you know there is a pool to fill out there that enables you to win some very solid prizes. Betting on each pick before it happens is also a fun little game at the draft as everyone is always very eager in the first round"

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:02 AM

yeah, imagine them having a decent quarterback, that'd be horrendous. You're right. Let's draft the linebacker we need to move around to fit in, much better idea.

Larry121283
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Get there EARLY, like...crazy people on Black Friday, EARLY.

Dark Knight01
04-22-2009, 04:59 PM
BSPN sucks!

NFL Network RULES!

bernbabybern820
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
They say they will starting forming the line at 10 P.M.

This means i should probably get there at ?_?_?_?_?

Brent
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
This means i should probably get there at ?_?_?_?_?
I'd say at least 90 minutes before that. Figure out where the line starts, and then stand as close to that as possible.

swans149
04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
The reason stafford should not be the pick is because if we miss its sets the franchise back another 3-4 years, while missing on a LB or OT cant do years of damage. Looking at Lions draft history we have a better shot at picking the popes nose than a franchise quarterback.

That being said, thanks for all the tips and hope to see some of you guys there.