PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell vs Strafford?

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I have recently read alot of articles all over this site bashing the raiders for taking Russell and not addressing other needs first. Yet Scott you are predicting Stafford should go to the Lions what the hells the diffrence?
The Fact is the lions should use this draft to build for next years selection of a solid qb this year is deep in tackles guards and centers they have their rb and wide out they culd easily use there picks to address both line issues and and fix this ugly situation or they could create a qb controversy where one isnt needed and set the lions back 5 or 10 more years. COME ON which is it?

bored of education
04-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Strafford? who dat be son?

Shane P. Hallam
04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
The difference is these are two VERY different prospects with two VERY different skillsets. Stafford has the experience, and intangibles, unlike Jamarcus.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
sorry stafford

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Neither are ready or will be ready with out O-Lines?

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
In all honesty I see them as very simular prospects where there is alot more potential then there is actual production

bored of education
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Neither are ready or will be ready with out O-Lines?

NO ONE WILL BE NOT JUST THESE TWO GUYS! But why pass up on getting a great prospect like Stafford for an above average LT who is not a stud like a JoeThomas

bored of education
04-21-2009, 05:38 PM
In all honesty I see them as very simular prospects where there is alot more potential then there is actual production

They were both very prodcutive in college and have very high ceilings pal. Stafford has better udnerstanding of the game, intangibles, etc I could write 500 word essay but I will keep it simple since you like it that way pal!

Shane P. Hallam
What more do you want Stafford to do? He started all three years in the SEC, was very successful. He didn't have a very good O-line last year. He had solid production, has Hall of Fame potential as well, and has had more than one game in his college career, unlike Russell. I really don't think they are similar.

Also, the Lions have another first round pick. Could they pull a Falcons and draft a LT, kick Backus into guard, and have three of the five positions pretty well set? Yes.

BaLLiN
well the difference was that Oakland had no offensive playmakers whatsoever, Detroit has two young stars in smith and CJ, but no one to get the ball to CJ so it becomes one dimensional.

Their OL is really not horrible, LT is a concern but they could easily have one available near 20, trading up might not be a bad idea.

plus taking Jason Smith and then probably having to take Freeman wouldnt be horrible, but Freeman isnt the QB Stafford is by any means.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I guess I see it more Draft LT then draft DL use this year to build a btter Core unit. Then COme back in next years draft class where Stafford wouldnt be a top 3 qb and get a better qb. Go into this year with Culpepper and Stanton and come back next year and get a better prospect like Bradford and McCoy with a young line which could possibly have Monroe or smith at tackle and a center like unger backus at guard and the Chelios at rt a linebacking crew that would include larinitus simms and peterson and a very nice 3rd year back and a great wide out.
This mentality they must take Stafford is exactly how they got to where they are.
Einsitein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a diffrent result"

Paranoidmoonduck
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
The difference is these are two VERY different prospects with two VERY different skillsets. Stafford has the experience, and intangibles, unlike Jamarcus.

The skillsets and the experience aren't really all that different. Stafford played snaps under center in 39 games in college, Russell took snaps in 36. Stafford has better deep ball accuracy while Russell (in college, anyway) had a better short-range game with his quicker release.

The intangibles are something I cannot attest to.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Both were judged more on potential then actual production the raiders are absolutely idiots and two years into his career Scott is using the word BUST. While now with out ever playing a nfl snap We are using words like "What more do you want Stafford to do? He started all three years in the SEC, was very successful. He didn't have a very good O-line last year. He had solid production, has Hall of Fame potential as well, and has had more than one game in his college career, unlike Russell. I really don't think they are similar.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:03 PM
There are three words that should never be used on a draft web site about prospects unless it refers to something besides football HALL OF FAME

WMD
04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Bradford and McCoy are better prospects than Stafford how?

bored of education
04-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Both were judged more on potential then actual production the raiders are absolutely idiots and two years into his career Scott is using the word BUST. While now with out ever playing a nfl snap We are using words like "What more do you want Stafford to do? He started all three years in the SEC, was very successful. He didn't have a very good O-line last year. He had solid production, has Hall of Fame potential as well, and has had more than one game in his college career, unlike Russell. I really don't think they are similar.

Chris Chelios? Stafford and Mcccoy better than Stafford as a prospect lol come on pal get a life

Shane P. Hallam
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
There are three words that should never be used on a draft web site about prospects unless it refers to something besides football HALL OF FAME

Why not? Especially when the word potential is used after it. There are usually a number of players in every draft with hall of fame potential.

Anyway, these are two different teams in two different situations. I don't see an apt comparison.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
If that was the topic Id love to go there. But I really am still waiting for someone to answer my question.
But Yes I would take McCoy and Bradford over stafford just on production alone. I have never been a huge person to buy into the whole potential theory. I guess the way I see it More coaches have gotten fired off potential then ever have production.
If Im NFL GM and I only have 4-5 years to win I havent got 4-5 years of paying you millions of dollars for something you have the potential to do but if you dont produce then I get fired. EXAMPLE Mike Shanhan Phil Savage

bored of education
04-21-2009, 06:25 PM
If that was the topic Id love to go there. But I really am still waiting for someone to answer my question.
But Yes I would take McCoy and Bradford over stafford just on production alone. I have never been a huge person to buy into the whole potential theory. I guess the way I see it More coaches have gotten fired off potential then ever have production.
If Im NFL GM and I only have 4-5 years to win I havent got 4-5 years of paying you millions of dollars for something you have the potential to do but if you dont produce then I get fired. EXAMPLE Mike Shanhan Phil Savage

HE DID PRODUCE IN THE BEST CONFERENCE IN THE UNITED STATES

Graham Harrel should be number one overall pick by that way of thinking dumbass

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Did Lsu Switch Confrences?

Shane P. Hallam
04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Honestly though, they are very different players, especially mentally and how their seasons went. Stafford was the #1 QB preseason, I think Scott has had him going #1 in all of his ten mock drafts. Russell really never hit his status until after his final game in college. I don't really like the comparison between the two in terms of their skillset.

The QB position is 60-70% mental and how you approach it. Look at Jeff Garcia. Not many physical attributes, but the guy seems to start wherever he goes and wins games.

WMD
04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
NFL Teams would be drafting Bradford and McCoy based on their potential to play in a Pro Offense.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure the bust rate for QB's coming from a Spread Offense is quite high.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:39 PM
By no means do I think either of them are complete busts but producing nice numbers in the sec hasnt exactly been a tell all to future Hall of fame Nfl QBs. In fact I can name several quality sec qbs who sucked in the NFL. Most of them not only excelled in the SEC But won National Titles.

In Staffords biggest game he sucked
Russell played in several Bowl games and looked good if not great.
But all of this aside your till missing the whole point of the question. My question simply was How the hell can you bash the raiders for knee jerk reactons then give the lions a green card to do the exact freaking thing with the situations being very simular

RaiderNation
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
How I see it is we all knew Russell wasnt going to come in and light it up. He was(still is) a project coming out as a JR.Stafford to me seems more NFL ready and will probably put up decent numbers. Right now Id still take Russell over Stafford because I think he has more potenial. Stafford to me doesnt seem like he will be a face of the league type QB, but will have a good career.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
LIons WMD would you like to do a little research on Qb's from the SEC in general. Say over the past 10-15 years If you take the mannings out of the equation because it wouldnt of mattere what confrence they played in they were getting coached by their dad. Then SEC QB's are on pretty Shaky ground with Jay Cutler and Jason Campbell.

superman
04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
By no means do I think either of them are complete busts but producing nice numbers in the sec hasnt exactly been a tell all to future Hall of fame Nfl QBs. In fact I can name several quality sec qbs who sucked in the NFL. Most of them not only excelled in the SEC But won National Titles.

In Staffords biggest game he sucked
Russell played in several Bowl games and looked good if not great.
But all of this aside your till missing the whole point of the question. My question simply was How the hell can you bash the raiders for knee jerk reactons then give the lions a green card to do the exact freaking thing with the situations being very simular

id bash the raiders bc they passed on cj. prob the best prospect at any position ever.

i wouldnt bash the lions for taking stafford bc there isnt a guy like that in this draft.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 06:46 PM

What more do you want Stafford to do? He started all three years in the SEC, was very successful. He didn't have a very good O-line last year. He had solid production, has Hall of Fame potential as well, and has had more than one game in his college career, unlike Russell. I really don't think they are similar.

I disagree with this assessment completely.

First, if Matt Stafford has HOF potential, then what does that say of Russell's potential? GOAT? He's bigger, stronger, has a much stronger arm, is a better athlete. He kills Stafford in just about every measurable you could list.

I really don't understand the "one game comment about Russell either.

JaMarcus Russell started four games his redshirt freshman season, improved as a sophomore and had a breakout junior campaign. Let's look at the numbers:
(RS)FR: 1053 yards, 9 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 50% completions
(RS)SO: 2443 yards, 20 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 60.5% completions
(RS)JR: 3129 yards, 28 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 67.8% completions

Stafford's collegiate numbers:
FR: 1749 yards, 7 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 52.7% completions
SO: 2523 yards, 19 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 55.7% completions
JR: 3459 yards, 25 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 61.4%% completions

So, Stafford has a little more than a half season's worth of starts (in his freshman year) and still didn't match Russell's production. Like I said, I don't get the "one game" comment at all. If anything, it applies more to Stafford than to Russell (the Hawaii game that started his hype train last season).

I watched plenty of both in their college careers, being a Florida fan. They're more alike than you think. Except that Russell was better. Revisionist history is already rewriting Jamarcus Russell as a prospect coming out.

BBIB
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Experience he says.

Stafford started a whopping 4 more games in college than Russell.

They both left school early.

Both fail short of the ideal 35+ start marks for 1st round QBs and Stafford fell below the complimentary trend of 60% completion percentage.

One thing Stafford will have in his favor over Russell is one of the best WRs in the NFL at his disposal from day one if he goes to Detroit in Calvin Johnson.

Russell does not have a #1 WR and even if the Raiders are competent enough to get one in this draft, there isn't one that projects to be quite that good.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Bradford Florida L 24-14 26 41 256 63.4 25 2 2
Stafford 11/1 Florida L 49-10 18 33 265 54.5 54 0 3

Same competition both lost the game one did remarkably better then the other and thats not the Number 1 this year.

bored of education
04-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Bradford Florida L 24-14 26 41 256 63.4 25 2 2
Stafford 11/1 Florida L 49-10 18 33 265 54.5 54 0 3

Same competition both lost the game one did remarkably better then the other and thats not the Number 1 this year.
Graham Harrel > both then!

bored of education
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
How about the 3 drafted WR's Jamarcus was throwing to? Christ people are reaching for reasons why they don't like Stafford. If you dont like sStafford have valid reason againsts him with out these mikey mouse comparison and terrible threads. Right up something about HIM, his film, more than just stats, etc lets go. None of this he is not as good as so and so and he played with his ding dong on tuesdays so he sucks. etc.

1. Break down plays and stats as one
2. bring up cases in which you dont think he has the intelligence via film and interviews
etc

Kthanxbye

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
To me they had very simular careers except Russell had the beter collegiate career.
They are both going to simular teams. Except Stafford would have CJ.
But Scott Wright Bashes the raiders for taking Russell and says It would be a monumental mistake for the lions to do the same exact thing the raiders did.

I guess to me that doesnt make any freaking sense

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Where did I say I did or didnt like either of them? Im simply saying Why is one a home run why the other is a DRAFT BUST.
Especially when they both came from the same confrence they had simular results they are going presumably 1-2 and he seems almost giddy about the one who had the lesser collegiate career and then uses words like potential and intangibles which to me should be notablly obvious in collegiate career. Which me and aparently others dont see.

Halsey
04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Here is the thread author's opinion on last year's top QB prospect.

QB Matt Ryan = Joey Harrington
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18604&page=2&highlight=matt+ryan

Good job on the QB comparisons. ;)

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
I honestly still dont think that much of matt ryan. I think people under value Turner in the facons turn around. The only game I watched ryan in he pretty much sucked ass. and got out played by tavaris jackson. go back and please find a quote where i ever said anyone got out played by tavaris jackson

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Not that has anything to do with the topic

Geason Noceur
04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Not that has anything to do with the topic

I disagree. I think it just put a dent in your QB evaluation credibility.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
How about the 3 drafted WR's Jamarcus was throwing to? Christ people are reaching for reasons why they don't like Stafford. If you dont like sStafford have valid reason againsts him with out these mikey mouse comparison and terrible threads. Right up something about HIM, his film, more than just stats, etc lets go. None of this he is not as good as so and so and he played with his ding dong on tuesdays so he sucks. etc.

1. Break down plays and stats as one
2. bring up cases in which you dont think he has the intelligence via film and interviews
etc

Kthanxbye

How about the Florida game from this year?

It's not the criticism of Stafford that's gotten out of control, it's the hype. Every mistake he makes is met with the apologists claiming it was a receiver running the wrong route. Or his offensive line being poor. Dude, was was a glorified game manager in college, but he's got a strong arm and it's the weakest quarterback class ever, so now he's a franchise quarterback. I really don't get it.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
As I said I am not that big of fan of Matty Ice Atlanta didnt just replace one player. and next year when atlanta comes back to the ground the real matty Ice will be back to average to below average

Halsey
04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Stafford was 5th in the nation in yards per pass attempt, but he's a "game manager"? "Game manager" is such an ignorantly overused cliche. One of Stafford's biggest strengths was making big throws down field. What you call "apologists" are people that actually klnow what they're talking about. People who are afraid of QB's and make up reasons to criticize them just want to call informed fans "apologists".

And the argument about weak QB class was made last year against Ryan too.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
And in many ways he was alot like harrington playing in subpar confrence putting up stats against mostly poor teams rarely winning the big games. wait hes still doing just that. So not much has changed really has it. Him in cutler need to win some big games before Im going to elect them to the hall of fame. Unlike alot of other people on these posts. a few stats against really pretty ****** teams an n play off wins isnt going to impress me.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 07:59 PM
SO what happened in the biggest game last year against florida? he sucked ass when his team needed him. Much like the lions will need him. Because he is going to a piss poor team with a ****** line hence their 0-16 record.

Halsey
04-21-2009, 07:59 PM
If you watch Matt Ryan and can't see how good he is, you simply don't understand football. Some arguments just aren't worth having because some people aren't smart enough to be talked out of their foolish opinions.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Listen Matt Ryan was the second bst rookie qb last year of course only two got the chance to start. And Michael Turner was thestar ofthat team if you dont think so then something is wrong with you.

Halsey
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
That same Florida defense took an Oklahoma team that set offensive records and held them 14 points in the national title game. The entire UGA offense was dominated the whole game. The same people that cherry pick one game against Stafford did the same thing for Ryan's 3 INT game vs Florida State.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 08:04 PM
ANd at any rate Matt ryan isnt even this topic stick to the topic.

Kid_Ego
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Agreed and given the fact the Bulldogs play them once a year and Oklahoma maybe plays them onceevery 4-6 years the advantage should go to georgia.

With all things being equal Stafford and Bradford stats clearly show Bradford played better. As you said Georgia was dominated that game including at the qb position. DO you not think the bears and viking D's are going to do the same thing against a pourous lions line? Seriously are we debating this? The lions are now in a confrence with two of the best defenses in all of the nfl plus a green bay team who has 3-4 mastermind at d coordinator. The guy has done some incredible things at D cordinator in short times. See panthers steelers and giants d's. And this kid will get his ass rocked along with any of the forementioned Qb's if the Lion do the knee Jerk reaction you are so absolutely sure they should do take a Stafford in the first round. Much Like harrington when he went to the Lions he cant win the games in the NFL by himself. CJ doesnt block. and CJ will be facing some of the toughest d's in the NFL. Which is exactly my point the whole time. WHY IS STAFFORD A BETTER PICK THEN J MAC WAS the fact is he isnt a better pick. He isnt.
Not one person has been able to point out one diffrence that clearly gives him the edge.
If the Lions DIdnt go 0-16 then maybe stafford is the right pick. BUT THEY DID SO HE ISNT.
If stafford goes to the seahawks yes stafford may live up to his potential. but if he goes to the lions he will be fed to excuse the pun but the LIONS

Halsey
04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, so stats tell the whole story. Well then I guess Graham Harrel is Detroit's man at #1 overall. :D

WMD
04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Ok, so stats tell the whole story. Well then I guess Graham Harrel is Detroit's man at #1 overall. :D
We're gonna trade #1 and #20 to the Redskins for Colt Brennan.

georgiafan
04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
And in many ways he was alot like harrington playing in subpar confrence putting up stats against mostly poor teams rarely winning the big games. wait hes still doing just that. So not much has changed really has it. Him in cutler need to win some big games before Im going to elect them to the hall of fame. Unlike alot of other people on these posts. a few stats against really pretty ****** teams an n play off wins isnt going to impress me.

I'll say this for the 105th time Stafford was 11-4 agianst ranked teams in the best conference in college football. He played his best when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter and had several game winning TD drives.

Before you pull out the stats agaisnt UF this year. Two of the interceptions came from A.J Green running the wrong route. This came straight from Richt on his TV show after the UF game. Something that's expected to happen alot since he was a true freshman. The interception agianst bama was a hail mary pass at the end of the half with his team down 4 TD's.

About the only thing Stafford and Russell have in common is they are strong armed QB's who played in the SEC that left after there junior year.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
That same Florida defense took an Oklahoma team that set offensive records and held them 14 points in the national title game. The entire UGA offense was dominated the whole game. The same people that cherry pick one game against Stafford did the same thing for Ryan's 3 INT game vs Florida State.

I was asked to point out a game where Stafford didn't play well, and that's the one that stands out the most. So he didn't have that many terrible games. He also doesn't have very many when he was great. He was good certainly, but he wasn't great by any stretch of imagination.

yourfavestoner
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I'll say this for the 105th time Stafford was 11-4 agianst ranked teams in the best conference in college football. He played his best when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter and had several game winning TD drives.

Before you pull out the stats agaisnt UF this year. Two of the interceptions came from A.J Green running the wrong route. This came straight from Richt on his TV show after the UF game. Something that's expected to happen alot since he was a true freshman. The interception agianst bama was a hail mary pass at the end of the half with his team down 4 TD's.

About the only thing Stafford and Russell have in common is they are strong armed QB's who played in the SEC that left after there junior year.

What, exactly, is so different about them? Oh yeah, Russell was bigger, stronger, more athletic, with a stronger arm and better production.

bored of education
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I was asked to point out a game where Stafford didn't play well, and that's the one that stands out the most. So he didn't have that many terrible games. He also doesn't have very many when he was great. He was good certainly, but he wasn't great by any stretch of imagination.

I respect the opinion you have yfs but I may not agree with it. I really feel that as a prospect, Stafford is one of the top 5 QB's in the last 12 years. I can break down film showing how his touch, accuracy, feel for the pocket, understanding of where the receivers should be and the defense will be. I see signs of greatness. His signs of inconsistancy didn't scare me like they did scare me about Matty Ice and Rivers in college. But then I can pull the same ole comparison's people say. Stafford, against SUPERIOR competition had better stats than Sanchez, Ryan, Cutler and Harry Potter. I don't like comparing people and I couold break down in a 1000 page essay how as a prospect he was light years beyond Matty Ice. Also, I could say what has this guy not done lower his rankings. Is it the Obama effect which is dropping him and raising Sanchez. Sanchez is touring showing off his speaking abilities and his in public moxy. How does one like me compare the intangibles? It is impossible. I am not gonna be one of those guys that say because Sanchez can do interviews and looks good with his shirt off means he has greater intangibles. People don't realize how many scouts said that Stafford's blackboard work at the combine was epic and shows this guy has 'it'. But those quotes are just that quotes.

One game doesn't define you and we all know that.

Shane P. Hallam
04-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I respect the opinion you have yfs but I may not agree with it. I really feel that as a prospect, Stafford is one of the top 5 QB's in the last 12 years. I can break down film showing how his touch, accuracy, feel for the pocket, understanding of where the receivers should be and the defense will be. I see signs of greatness. His signs of inconsistancy didn't scare me like they did scare me about Matty Ice and Rivers in college. But then I can pull the same ole comparison's people say. Stafford, against SUPERIOR competition had better stats than Sanchez, Ryan, Cutler and Harry Potter. I don't like comparing people and I couold break down in a 1000 page essay how as a prospect he was light years beyond Matty Ice. Also, I could say what has this guy not done lower his rankings. Is it the Obama effect which is dropping him and raising Sanchez. Sanchez is touring showing off his speaking abilities and his in public moxy. How does one like me compare the intangibles? It is impossible. I am not gonna be one of those guys that say because Sanchez can do interviews and looks good with his shirt off means he has greater intangibles. People don't realize how many scouts said that Stafford's blackboard work at the combine was epic and shows this guy has 'it'. But those quotes are just that quotes.

One game doesn't define you and we all know that.

I'm going to agree with BOE here, and I didn't make my points very well earlier. I didn't say Russell didn't have HOF potential, he does, so does Stafford. Thus why both will go/went #1. As I said, I think a big thing is how these guys graded out going into their Junior season. Where was Russell mocked/projected going into his junior season? What about Stafford? I think we've seen that pro potential and NFL readiness from Stafford as a sophomore and Junior. I really didn't see that from Russell until his junior year. My one game comment was how his stock skyrocketed after beating Notre Dame. I don't like when that happens after one game, especially the Bowl Game.

georgiafan
04-21-2009, 09:13 PM
What, exactly, is so different about them? Oh yeah, Russell was bigger, stronger, more athletic, with a stronger arm and better production.

JR is bigger with slightly better production thought I would agrue with you that he isn't more athletic. Stafford seems to be have a much better intangibles and leadership then Russell. Granted those flaws were not as bad at the time with JR .

Staffors been a NFL QB since before he ever steped foot at UGA. While Russell came from no where to be the #1 pick.

Look at the suporting cast he had his junior year with 3 NFL WR's on the team all of which was high draft picks. Dewayne Bowe, Early Doucet, Craig Davis. His sophmore year also had a few other NFL players in Skyler Green and Addia.

Kid_Ego
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
My question has gone so far off track now. I guess My question is why was it wrong for the raiders to do the exact same thing most experts are demanding the Lions should do when both teams were atleast as equally bad. Detriot won less games then the raiders. And have atlast as many holes. Why not build the team with what looks like to be a fairly strong o-line draft Dline draft and linebacker 3 areas this team needs obvious improvement they have a veteren who has shown with a receiver alot like CJ he can win quite well if given an oppourtunity, they could get their qb next year where the class looks alot deeper.

San Diego Chicken
04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I believe that Stafford is better than Russell. I could care less about Russell's arm strength, because at the end of the day, that's not what makes you a good NFL quarterback. I'm still completely dumbfounded that Russell went ahead of Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson.

killxswitch
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey guys who is Strafford? Has anyone asked that yet?

wicket
04-22-2009, 02:56 PM
stafford by a mile, i still dont think russel was even the best qb is his draftclass

BBIB
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Well Stafford officially has the best young WR in the league in Calvin Johnson.

I think the answer to this question may be determined by the end of the day.

If Oakland is completely clueless and doesn't get Russell any help at OT/WR then he has no shot to succeed.

For his sake they don't need to take Maclin who is incredibly overrated

Javzz
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm going to agree with BOE here, and I didn't make my points very well earlier. I didn't say Russell didn't have HOF potential, he does, so does Stafford. Thus why both will go/went #1. As I said, I think a big thing is how these guys graded out going into their Junior season. Where was Russell mocked/projected going into his junior season? What about Stafford? I think we've seen that pro potential and NFL readiness from Stafford as a sophomore and Junior. I really didn't see that from Russell until his junior year. My one game comment was how his stock skyrocketed after beating Notre Dame. I don't like when that happens after one game, especially the Bowl Game.

Last time I checked, Russell had a better sophmore campaign than Stafford did.

Turbeauxdog
04-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Russell was the #6 QB and #79 overall player coming out of college. He definitely didn't come from nowhere.

His stock went up through the course of the season as he led LSU to multiple late comebacks on the road against Tenn, Bama, and Ole Miss. He was already considered a 1st round pick and arguably the top QB before the sugar bowl.

Turbeauxdog
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM

Russell went 25-4 as a starter at LSU, so assuming we played at least 11 ranked teams (a certainty) in those 3 seasons, he is at least as good as Stafford. And he had 8 4th quarter comebacks.