PDA

View Full Version : Joe Horn to Atlanta

Windy
03-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Falcons | J. Horn agrees
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:31:00 -0800

ESPNews reports the Atlanta Falcons have agreed to a deal with WR Joe Horn (Saints). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
If they didn't grossly overpay him, I like it. Interesting though, because he did blast the receivers last year for horrific play, and saying that if they didn't improve they'd be out of the league. "Wake up and smell the coffee." So he should be able to reach Roddy and Michael, and mentor them. On the field he's definitely going to be better than Ashley Lelie was, but I don't expect to see pro-bowl caliber Joe Horn.

frogstomp
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Good news for Atlanta. So what's their depth chart going to be now, Shiver?

Horn - Jenkins - White?

PoopSandwich
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I bet he wants revenge.

JF4
03-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I wonder how long this thread will take to turn into a Vick bashing thread.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM

It probably won't even get to page 2 for that. That's why I relish in the Falcons team board, because we actually talk about the other 52 players.. LOL

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Horn - Jenkins - White?

I think the starters will be Jenkins and Horn, with White as the 3rd, Finneran as the 4th, Jennings as the 5th/ST guy.

Jay
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Michael Vick sucks!!

Just trying to help :)

bills_red
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM

lol

(Dann Post Count To 10)

reznola
03-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Well all I can say is Good Luck to Joe, maybe he won't get hurt this year, but I doubt it since he is 35 years old and playing with a QB that doesn't always protect his WR.

Vince Lombardi
03-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Come on, everyone knows Vick is great............as a running back. :rolleyes: I keed, I keed.

TitleTown088
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh you F***** windy. You bearly beat me.

Go Cowboys
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
good signing for them. Horn will want revenge on the Saints and they get a proven #1 now lets hope they don't destroy his career too.

Jimmy
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Vick will still never change

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:57 PM

Horn - Jenkins - White?

I think the starters will be Jenkins and Horn, with White as the 3rd, Finneran as the 4th, Jennings as the 5th/ST guy.

Also of note; Bobby Petrino and Hue Jackson love multiple WR sets. So all of them will see a lot of playing time.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 05:02 PM
It's a solid signing. Gets another guy who can offer some consistency in there. I'm not sure how much it upgrades. Let's not underrate the return of Brian Finneran either, who is a very solid target, especially across the middle, allowing for Crumpler to be utilized in different ways.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I wonder about Finneran. He wasthe best receiver on the team. I am concerned though about his speed. He was slow already, now with that ACL tear at 31 years old, will he be able to separate?

49erfaithful
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Now Vick has a guy that can catch

Shiver
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Maybe it will be contagious...

GermanSaint
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM

but the guy has no one throwing to him.

PalmerToCJ
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I really like this signing, makes a lot of sense.

BehrenMan007
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
great move by atl. a vet that can teach these kids how to catch. plus he plays new orleans twice a yr

21ST
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Too bad vick is throwing him the ball LOL

Non_Sequitur
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
With Vick at QB, you could give him Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, and Torry Holt and he'd maybe raise his completion percentage 1 point.

Boston
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
It probably won't even get to page 2 for that. That's why I relish in the Falcons team board, because we actually talk about the other 52 players.. LOL

Wait, you mean Atlanta has players other than Vick?

Shiver
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
It's mind blowing, I know.

http://www.chicagoist.com/attachments/chicagoist_justin/Crystal%20shocked.jpg

d34ng3l021
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
With Vick at QB, you could give him Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, and Torry Holt and he'd maybe raise his completion percentage 1 point.

YEAH! THERE WE GO!

I do wonder what we are gonna do with Finneran. I was really anticipating his return to the line up, seeing that he was a solid reciever, but now with Horn I wonder how he fits into all of this. But Shiver did bring up good points about how difficult it would be for him to get separation, but he was good at making catches without being separated. I think he can be a great 4th option. Same with Roddy being a 3rd reciever. Whenever teams play man to man against us, I hope Vick can take advantage (and the recievers can catch).

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I doubt he even passed his physical. I've read multiple reports that the Saints didn't release him due to money, but released him because he couldn't pass one.

Anyway, I'll go back to having Joe as one of my favorite players once his playing career is over (shouldn't be too long). I just simply can't cheer for him anymore now that he signed with a division rival.

He's a shell of his former self. Enjoy him.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
He passed his physical with the Falcons, when he visited. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed him. Just like they didn't immediately sign Grady Jackson last year, until he showed up in better shape a month later. I think the rumors that he didn't pass one with the Saints were started up to deflect some of the criticism, because it obviously wasn't going to be a popular move. As for what I expect from him on the field, I don't expect old school, '01 - '04 Joe Horn by any means.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
He passed his physical with the Falcons, when he visited. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed him. Just like they didn't immediately sign Grady Jackson last year, until he showed up in better shape a month later. I think the rumors that he didn't pass one with the Saints were started up to deflect some of the criticism, because it obviously wasn't going to be a popular move. As for what I expect from him on the field, I don't expect old school, '01 - '04 Joe Horn by any means.

I just hope we didnt pay him like 01-04 Joe Horn

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
That's what I am waiting to see. Hopefully that won't be the case.

49ersfan_87
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
That's what I am waiting to see. Hopefully that won't be the case.

How much cap room do the falcons have?

If they can fit him comfortably under the cap, its a solid move imo.

yourfavestoner
03-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, 01-04 Joe Horn played in an entirely different salary cap era.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
How much cap room do the falcons have?

If they can fit him comfortably under the cap, its a solid move imo.

6$ Million prior to this, as well as the Lewis Sanders, signing. Though the team could cut a few veterans.

Auron
03-07-2007, 06:13 PM
I think the rumors that he didn't pass one with the Saints were started up to deflect some of the criticism, because it obviously wasn't going to be a popular move. As for what I expect from him on the field, I don't expect old school, '01 - '04 Joe Horn by any means.

He should be a solid mentor for the younger receivers, Marques Colston said Joe helped ease him in early on.

However my main concern is injuries, he hasn't been able to finish out the season the past 2 years and age is catching up to him at 35.

I know a lot of Saints fans are be bitter at him right now. Imagine one of the fan favorites from your team, going to an arch rival..and that's how most Saints fans feel right now.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:14 PM
According to NFL Netowork, SI, and the AJC, Michael Smith jumped the gun. They are finalizing the deal, it isn't signed yet.

"It's not done yet,'' Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said on Wednesday night. "We haven't signed a contract, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon. We haven't reached an agreement, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon.''

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I wonder about Finneran. He wasthe best receiver on the team. I am concerned though about his speed. He was slow already, now with that ACL tear at 31 years old, will he be able to separate?

We'll have to wait and see, but his value was always more in his ability to work the crossing/middle stuff and act as a safety valve, and while a loss of foot speed may hurt, I'm not sure how significant of an impact it would have in the relative role he may play as a depth WR as the number 3 or 4 option. Smart scheming will find a place for a safety target like Finneran, and considering the talent around, I think even if he has lost a step, he still has imminent value with his skillset.

BlindSite
03-07-2007, 06:26 PM
YEAH! THERE WE GO!

I do wonder what we are gonna do with Finneran. I was really anticipating his return to the line up, seeing that he was a solid reciever, but now with Horn I wonder how he fits into all of this. But Shiver did bring up good points about how difficult it would be for him to get separation, but he was good at making catches without being separated. I think he can be a great 4th option. Same with Roddy being a 3rd reciever. Whenever teams play man to man against us, I hope Vick can take advantage (and the recievers can catch).

How long does Jenkins have on his rookie contract?

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
He signed a 6-year deal initially, with the final year being voidable. So he's a Falcon for a couple more years at the least.

49ersfan_87
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
He signed a 6-year deal initially, with the final year being voidable. So he's a Falcon for a couple more years at the least.

What do you think of jenkins and white? I heard one wouldnt be on the roster next year, but things seemed to have changed.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
They've struggled with bouts of inconsistency, both good and bad. I still have hope for them. Both of them are still young.

frogstomp
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Well thought out! Thank you for that post. I feel much more informed on the entire Vick situation.

draftguru151
03-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I really like this move for the Falcons. Bringing in a mentor type with Horn, as well as an emotional player that is an established receiver, he helps the Falcons in multiple ways. I think this is going to end up being one of the biggest FA impacts one way or another.

Flyboy
03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Just adds more fuel to the NO/ATL rivalry. *le sigh*

bigbluedefense
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
The Falcons should view this as a guy who can mentor the WR core and bring stability and leadership to an offense without it. I think he can be an Amani Toomer like player, the nice dumpoff option who can bring some balance to the pass game with reliable hands that Vick can check down to.

I think he shouldn't be viewed as a PB player however. If he does wind up being that, fine, gravy on top, but that shouldn't be the expectations coming in.

Good move for ATL if the price is right.

TitleTown088
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Micheal Smith, your an idiot.

D-Unit
03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Joe Horn is gonna be a fantasy stud muffin!

TitleTown088
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Joe Horn is gonna be a fantasy stud muffin!

Well of course. WHo wouldn't be when they have Favre throwing to them?...

princefielder28
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Well of course. WHo wouldn't be when they have Favre throwing to them?...

I don't get it!

scar988
03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Joe Horn would be a #3 WR and a mentor to Jenkins and White in Atlanta. both Jenkins and White will have better years next year it beign their 3rd year both starting together and playing with Vick together and it will also be better because they will have better coaching and with Horn possibly here, they will have a player/coach helping them out too.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
While Michael Smith jumped the gun, according to SIRIUS they won't let him leave town without an agreement. It's all but a done deal, it just isn't "finalized" just yet.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Joe Horn would be a #3 WR and a mentor to Jenkins and White in Atlanta. both Jenkins and White will have better years next year it beign their 3rd year both starting together and playing with Vick together and it will also be better because they will have better coaching and with Horn possibly here, they will have a player/coach helping them out too.

If we sign Horn, I doubt he won't be the every down starter. I think it will be him and Jenkins starting, with White seeing a lot of work at #3. Seeing as how Petrino and Jackson used 3-WR sets often.

Pit Bull #53
03-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Shiver, I've heard alot about the Falcons going with more of a power running scheme. Makes sense with the reports about Petrino wanting bigger, stronger lineman and bringing in Mughelli as the FB. Are they looking to add a bigger RB, or do you think the coaches will be fine with Dunn and Norwood?

Shiver
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes they are going to add a power RB. Petrino said it. Ollie Wilson (RB Coach) said it as well. I personally think Michael Bush will be a Falcon, somehow, someway. Fantasy owners beware, Petrino seems set on using an R.B.B.C, juggling Dunn, Norwood, and some bigger power back.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Gil Brandt on Sirius, tonight, MP3 (http://www.zshare.net/audio/gil_late_hits-mar-07-mp3.html)

Interesting take.

Man_Of_Steel
03-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Great pickup, now all they need is a qb.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
njx, where is your roll emoticon now when I need it!

jetsfan3
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
njx, where is your roll emoticon now when I need it!

Not as good but

http://www.israelforum.com/board/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

omecool20
03-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Horn could help Vick improve his performance. He needs a veteran WR who can catch and help him develop. Despite his numbers last season, I thought Vick regressed a bit.

diabsoule
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Horn will be solid for the Falcons. I don't think he'll be able to have the explosiveness that he once possessed but he'll be a good mentor to the younger receivers on the team and give Vick a very reliable target.

And once again the trend of popular former Saints players signing with the Falcons continues... Bobby Hebert, Morton Anderson, now Joe Horn.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Hopefully he can fill in the coaching staff on the Payton offense and the Gibbs defense. *wink*

GiantRutgersFan
03-08-2007, 12:17 AM
If Joe Horn produced with Aaron Brooks, he can perform with Vick....

Shiver
03-08-2007, 02:10 AM
There are a few inconsistencies in his contract report, I want to see what they paid him..

portermvp84
03-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Vick has a sturdy number one Horn will create some damage.

thefalconer
03-08-2007, 09:53 AM
If Joe Horn produced with Aaron Brooks, he can perform with Vick....

so true...

thefalconer
03-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Vick has a sturdy number one Horn will create some damage.

assuming the injuries don't come back

HawkeyeFan
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Great signing, should help immensly with that passing offense. Now, they just need to sign Stallworth! And trade Vick!

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2007, 03:27 AM
i think roddy white is a great #3 WR, he runs good deep routes, and creates seperation, and i think jenkins is an even better #2...although i thought they should of went after someone like stallworth or moss, this is solid and wont create any problems...its a quick fix though, after this year they are right back looking for another WR id bet

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:06 AM
I think Joe Horn is just the influence White and Jenkins need to help them develop. He will provide a good influence whulst still being able to produce on the field for a couple more years.

portermvp84
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
assuming the injuries don't come back

Yeah, injuries are big in his career.