View Full Version : Percy Harvin Tests Positive For Marijuana At Combine

hugegmenfan
04-22-2009, 12:39 AM
According to ESPN

this should drop his draft status a bit for sure
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4087941

Geo
04-22-2009, 12:42 AM
I would completely remove Harvin from my board. Too stupid to be on my team.

Also Brandon Tate, who I've been thinking has been WAY overrated anyway. I have no idea why someone would rank him (and Derrick Williams) ahead of guys like Mike Wallace and Mike Thomas, who bring what Tate/Williams do and much more. Makes no sense to me, but this just seals it.

hugegmenfan
04-22-2009, 12:43 AM
I mean for god's sake, he must have smoked weed like 3 days before the combine because an athlete in such great shape like him burns it off so quickly...he is an idiot

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
The Bears will happily take him at #49.

The Dynasty
04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Say Good bye to his chances of him being a Minnesota Viking. Thank God IMO, I didnt want him to be on the vikings at all.

Nalej
04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
smh.... Hello, 2nd round

JT Jag
04-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Can we officially cease the discussion of the Jaguars picking him at #8 now?

RaiderNation
04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Id still take him at #40

yourfavestoner
04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Can we officially cease the discussion of the Jaguars picking him at #8 now?

Hopefully now he falls to us in the second. ;)

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Just stupid on the Part of Harvin. Brandon Tate probably knocked himself down to the 5th-6th range, too.

niel89
04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Just plain stupid. He doesnt realize the money he is losing by being a dumb***.

JT Jag
04-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Hopefully now he falls to us in the second. ;)Honestly, I'd be ok with that. He's still a top-10 talent.

jnew76
04-22-2009, 04:26 AM
This combined with some character concerns while being accused of being a poor teammate. not to mention the awful Wonderlic... means he has probably been removed from roughly half the draft boards.

There is no question that Harvin is an elite talent, but he has too many red flags for me to ever consider taking him.

Addict
04-22-2009, 05:55 AM
This combined with some character concerns while being accused of being a poor teammate. not to mention the awful Wonderlic... means he has probably been removed from roughly half the draft boards.

There is no question that Harvin is an elite talent, but he has too many red flags for me to ever consider taking him.

don't forget durability issues too.

also, sorry for the name thing, but it's what I read every time I see you post.

Michigan
04-22-2009, 06:03 AM
I can't even comprehend how stupid one has to be to smoke marijuana just days before the biggest "job interview" of his life, especially when he KNOWS he will be tested.

DeathbyStat
04-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Sweet the steelers can draft him and he and Santonio can toke up together

killxswitch
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Idiot. At least I dont' have to worry about the Colts losing their minds and picking him at #27. I'd be ok with him in the 2nd as he still has lots of talent. But no one should take this moron in the 1st.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Who accused him of being a poor teammate? Don't be surprised if Harvin is still taken at the bottom of the 1st.

I can't see him dropping out of the top 50, no matter what, but I would be concerned about the chances of him failing a drug test in season by the NFL, and have his career follow a similar downward trajectory to Ricky Williams.

Smoke weed, don't smoke weed. It's all good.

But to toke up before the combine and be put on the NFL's "watch list" for frequent unannounced tests throughout your entire rookie year, when Harvin couldn't even stop smoking before the combine, will be a challenge for Percy and whoever drafts him.

Matthew Jones
04-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Brandon Tate's is pretty bad.This guy has major durability issues, was a college #3 receiver, has basically no career production other than as a returner, and now you have to worry about him being a stoner. Very overrated prospect. I think it's funny that a lot of the people who hate on Derrick Williams like Brandon Tate, who had good games against McNeese State and Rutgers.

Sniper
04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Brandon Tate's is pretty bad.This guy has major durability issues, was a college #3 receiver, has basically no career production other than as a returner, and now you have to worry about him being a stoner. Very overrated prospect. I think it's funny that a lot of the people who hate on Derrick Williams like Brandon Tate, who had good games against McNeese State and Rutgers.

...while Williams' only good receiving game in college came against Temple. Tate had twice as many 100 yard games than Williams did despite his very limited playing time. Tate had eight receiving TDs in his short career while Williams had nine in four years. Glass houses, stones etc...

DeathbyStat
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Someone at the top of the second will take him namely the Bengals or raiders

Brent
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I mean for god's sake, he must have smoked weed like 3 days before the combine because an athlete in such great shape like him burns it off so quickly...he is an idiot
Well, per: http://howlongdoesmarijuanastayinyoursystem.net/

Marijuana (Bud, Blunt, Grass, Herb, Pot, Reefer, Sinsemilla, Smoke, Weed), 4-7 days (the daily, heavy user can be detected up to 30-60 days depending on the users body fat. THC is stored in fat cells, so the more body fat you have the longer THC takes you leave your system.)

If you smoke it occasionally, it may stay in your body for between 10 - 13 days although this may vary depending on a person's size and the amount of marijuana smoked. For a regular marijuana smoker, the marijuana metabolites may stay in the body for between 45 - 90 days. A lifestyle that combines a healthy diet with plenty of fluids and regular exercise will encourage your body to have a faster metabolism so that it can get rid of traces of marijuana faster.

I found this interesting, from the same site:
Anabolic steroids (Stanzolol, Stanazolol, Nandrolene; Steroids, Roids, Juice), oral- up to 3 weeks; injected- up to 3-6 months and more

BGB
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
To me I could care less about the positive drug test alone. It would have absolutly no factor on weather I did or didn't draft him. As long as I determined that it wasn't going to effect his performance on the field and he is 100% committed to football and becoming a great player. I would also want to make sure that he was able to mesh with the coaching staff and players on the team and that he was a cool guy.

If these "character concerns" are just that he gets a little too fired up becasue he is so competitive and wants to win. Sign me up. If he really is a complete D Bag all the time then I would be a little concerned.

Lets be real here atleast 50% of the players on every team smoke weed and probably do things far worse. He's a 20 year old kid put him around the right people and they'll teach him to be smart about his career.

AgentM
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Maybe he was just getting in one last 420 style party before the Pros because he knows he'll be tested more there...

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:46 AM
He still goes early 2nd at the latest in the latest in my opinion. I have him late 1st in my latest mock draft.

This is far from a deal breaker for most teams in my opinion.

it should be. It's not that pot is some horrible offense, but the stupidity of smoking something YOU KNOW you'll be tested for. It's not the drug they worry about, it's the fact Harvin is an idiot.

Babylon
04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Id still take him at #40

Not if the Pats take him at #34, sorry.

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
To me I could care less about the positive drug test alone. It would have absolutly no factor on weather I did or didn't draft him. As long as I determined that it wasn't going to effect his performance on the field and he is 100% committed to football and becoming a great player. I would also want to make sure that he was able to mesh with the coaching staff and players on the team and that he was a cool guy.

The thing is, this isn't "Percy Harvin smokes pot", since a lot of NFL players and college prospects do or have. The issue is "Percy Harvin failed a drug test that he knew was coming, upon the results of which hinges potentially millions of dollars. Why would a guy do something like that? It's got to be some combination of:
1) The guy really loves pot.
2) The guy just doesn't really care about football.
3) The guy just doesn't really care about money.
4) The guy is an idiot.

I mean, a guy may be a great athlete, and a great player who gives his all on the field, but if he is fonder of drugs than he is of football, can anybody say "Ricky Williams"?

Personally, I would give everybody a pass who fails a drug test or gets busted during their college career. But a high stakes drug test that you know is coming? If you fail it, you have a problem, and if I'm an NFL GM, I don't want your problem to become my problem.

Babylon
04-22-2009, 12:39 PM
The thing is, this isn't "Percy Harvin smokes pot", since a lot of NFL players and college prospects do or have. The issue is "Percy Harvin failed a drug test that he knew was coming, upon the results of which hinges potentially millions of dollars. Why would a guy do something like that? It's got to be some combination of:
1) The guy really loves pot.
2) The guy just doesn't really care about football.
3) The guy just doesn't really care about money.
4) The guy is an idiot.

I mean, a guy may be a great athlete, and a great player who gives his all on the field, but if he is fonder of drugs than he is of football, can anybody say "Ricky Williams"?

Personally, I would give everybody a pass who fails a drug test or gets busted during their college career. But a high stakes drug test that you know is coming? If you fail it, you have a problem, and if I'm an NFL GM, I don't want your problem to become my problem.

I hope you didnt defend Andre Smith when he was going through his stupid period.

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I hope you didnt defend Andre Smith when he was going through his stupid period.

Nope, you can find the posts. I thought he was being an idiot, and I thought there were serious concerns for his maturity for whoever drafted him. I think I might have even insinuated that he was potentially mentally ill, but that was out of line.

Also, you insinuate that his stupid period is over. Is this true?

Halsey
04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Harvin would scare the hell outta me if I was a GM. If you take him, he could be a headache and have trouble staying healthy. If you pass on him all the hindsight experts would be telling you "I told you so" if he lives up to his potential in the NFL.

jnew76
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Positives -

1. Most explosive player in the draft, a threat to take it the distance at any time
2. Really good hands
3. Plays huge in big games - dominated OU in the National Title Game.

Negatives

1. Injuries, they are frequent and he is not a fast healer
2. Character - Legitimate concerns from team sources
3. Locker room concerns - Not a team guy, a me guy.
4. Drugs - People do drugs - most just aren't dumb enough to do it before the biggest job interview of their lives.
5. Intelligence - Poor wonderlic score is just an added negative to this long list

I could not draft a guy in the first 4 rounds that would cause me to lose sleep at night like Harvin would. I would have to pass and let someone else worry.

LookItsAlDavis
04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
http://blog.footballguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/marijuana-not-crack-magnet-c11754995.jpg

DeathbyStat
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Did Warren Sapp fail at the combine?

Matthew Jones
04-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Q: What's Percy Harvin's favorite part of the draft?

A: The Green Room.

tdchrisdavis
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not saying this because I'm an FSU fan, I'm saying this because I closely followed Harvin's recruitment because he originally said he was an FSU fan and FSU was the perceived leader.

He got kicked off his HS basketball team and got into many fights in HS, most assumed he wouldn't last 3 years at Florida without major issues but apparently he did. He's a thug, a bad apple, a guy that you don't wanna be around. That said, he's a football player and it doesn't matter if you killed someone like Leonard Little or are a humanitarian like Warrick Dunn, all that matters is your production on the field.

initial_flo
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm not saying this because I'm an FSU fan, I'm saying this because I closely followed Harvin's recruitment because he originally said he was an FSU fan and FSU was the perceived leader.

He got kicked off his HS basketball team and got into many fights in HS, most assumed he wouldn't last 3 years at Florida without major issues but apparently he did. He's a thug, a bad apple, a guy that you don't wanna be around. That said, he's a football player and it doesn't matter if you killed someone like Leonard Little or are a humanitarian like Warrick Dunn, all that matters is your production on the field.

I love when some say 'he likes to live in Percyland'.

This guy is hilarious.

The more red flags this guy piles up, the more I want him to be the number one guy in Cleveland.

sbh15
04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh no he smoked weed his talent hath been diminished!

It's funny how he's a top 20 pick easy even with the other concerns, but when he tests positive for a recreational drug that I guarantee 90% of the players in the NFL do, it's a sign of the ******* apocolypse.

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Ricky Williams was awfully talented too...

It's funny how he's a top 20 pick easy even with the other concerns, but when he tests positive for a recreational drug that I guarantee 90% of the players in the NFL do, it's a sign of the ******* apocolypse.

The concern is not that he smokes weed. A ton of NFL and college players smoke weed, and nobody really cares. The concern is that he still smoked weed when he knew he had a high stakes drug test coming up. How many people would fail an important drug test that they know the date of months in advance without being either really stupid or an addict?

Harmless recreational drugs get you suspended just the same as any other banned substance.

akvikefan89
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM

The fact that he was enough of an idiot to fail his test is the biggest concern.

sbh15
04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Ricky Williams was awfully talented too...

The concern is not that he smokes weed. A ton of NFL and college players smoke weed, and nobody really cares. The concern is that he still smoked weed when he knew he had a high stakes drug test coming up. How many people would fail an important drug test that they know the date of months in advance without being either really stupid or an addict?

Harmless recreational drugs get you suspended just the same as any other banned substance.

If you're comparing a guy who quit football because of a drug to a guy who made a dumb mistake a failed a drug test, get your head check. Aqib Talib failed a drug test IIRC, does that mean he too will retire because of marijuana? And I don't think anyone can really justify why he did it, he made a dumb mistake. It doesn't mean he's a worse player. He's got some very minor character concerns in my opinion, he's still the most explosive player in the draft. If he falls out of the first round, someone is getting a ridiculous steal.

BGB
04-22-2009, 03:58 PM
If I recall this country was represented by an 8 time gold medal champion that loves to take bong rippers. People can freak out about pot all they want but he still has 8 golds hanging on his wall. And Percy Harvin still has 2 national championship rings on his fingers!!!!

If Percy Harvin can be a part of a team with the holy one Tim Tebow he can certinly mesh with average NFL players.

And this injury thing is ridiculous!!! Weren't the 2 games his sat out against scrub teams that Florida destroyed in 2007 becasue he was recovering from the flu? If I am Myer I'm telling him to take a couple weeks off so he can be 100% when it really matters. He was then able to be at full strength for their bowl game against Mighigan where he went off for 242 yards and 2 td's.

Then in 2008 he fractures his ankle and then plays on that fractured ankle and racks up 170 yards and a TD in another national championship win over Oaklahoma!!

I can only hope that the rumors I am hearing are true that 8 of 10 of the decision makers in Minnesota want Harvin and if he is there at 22 he's the pick. I'll enjoy the highlight reels for the next 8 years. We once landed a WR who had Character concerns far worse then Harvin and he ended up being one of if not the greatest WR's ever to step foot on a football field. The 21 teams that passed on Mr Moss felt like complete idiots for it.

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Aqib Talib failed a drug test IIRC, does that mean he too will retire because of marijuana?

Talib failed 3 drug tests at Kansas, but 0 drug tests at the combine. The "failed drug test at the combine" is the real indicator that you have a problem. If you can't get serious for the combine, when are you going to get serious? They don't do you the favor of letting you know when the drug tests are going to be once you get in the league, yet almost everybody in the league manages to avoid testing positive.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM

I find these critiques hilarious coming from a 'Noles fan, like somehow Harvin doesn't meet their ethical bar to play football for Bowden.

FSU has a laundry list of players who would have been incarcerated if they weren't playing football. Check your own house first, brah.

First off, Harvin quit the basketball team his senior year of HS because of an altercation he had on the court, he wasn't kicked off the team. His mother was the one who advised him to give up hoops because she felt he was being targeted by opponents.

I'd sure love for you to cite the "many fights" Harvin was involved in during HS. Probably hard for you to do, because they don't exist.

He had two incidents in HS, of which many feel he wasn't totally responsible.

I was in two fights over the course of 4 years in HS, and it doesn't make you a degenerate or a player unworthy of drafting high.

Calling Percy a thug is a gross exaggeration and flat out not true.

"A guy you don't wanna be around"?

Sure is funny how he was one of Jesus H. Tebow's favorite players at Florida.

bantx
04-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Dont know if this has been mention but Brandon Tate was tested positive at the combine also.

Babylon
04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I honestly think you can sit down with someone and tell if he's a bad apple or just terribly spoiled or imature. That's why they pay these people big money to figure things out. By the way we were never talking a high 1st round pick here.

hugegmenfan
04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Dont know if this has been mention but Brandon Tate was tested positive at the combine also.

yeah-- Tate was projected as probably a 3rd round pick so hell probably go into the 4th-5th range now.

niel89
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
No one here really has a problem with players smoking weed. A ton of players do it. But to do it before a known test is borderline ********. Would you want to invest in a guy who could get himself suspended because he refuses/can't lay off the weed? He didn't just accidentally test positive. He made a decision to smoke knowing he was putting himself at risk. I would have a hard time trying invest money and a valuable draft pick in that type of guy.

sbh15
04-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Or perhaps he is secretly a genius who wants to fall to the end of the first round to play for a good team!

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Or perhaps he is secretly a genius who wants to fall to the end of the first round to play for a good team!

Risky, he was already projected to go somewhere in the 20s, where he'd land on a pretty good team already. Now he might fall to the early second, where he'd end up back on a really bad team.

jnew76
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I am not saying I wouldn't party with him, I just wouldn't draft him.

yourfavestoner
04-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Positives -

1. Most explosive player in the draft, a threat to take it the distance at any time
2. Really good hands
3. Plays huge in big games - dominated OU in the National Title Game.

Negatives

1. Injuries, they are frequent and he is not a fast healer
2. Character - Legitimate concerns from team sources
3. Locker room concerns - Not a team guy, a me guy.
4. Drugs - People do drugs - most just aren't dumb enough to do it before the biggest job interview of their lives.
5. Intelligence - Poor wonderlic score is just an added negative to this long list

I could not draft a guy in the first 4 rounds that would cause me to lose sleep at night like Harvin would. I would have to pass and let someone else worry.

Eh, after the first round the potential rewards far outweigh the risks. Only the top half of the first round makes bank. After that, guys make barely above the league minimum.