PDA

View Full Version : Would Seattle have 2 QB's worth $100million?

FloridaSkinzFan
04-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Well I was watching this discussion --> (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fe6f22)

A lot of good points were made. I believe in theory the Seahawks taking Mark Sanchez would be a good idea, learning behind a proven quarterback in Hasselbeck.

Could the Seahawks afford it?.....

In 2005, Hasselbeck signed a six year extension worth $49 million...

Last year the 3rd pick Matt Ryan signed a deal worth $72 million and you figure Sanchez being the 4th pick in this scenario would want somewhere in the neighborhood of that money.

So would the Seahawks keep two quarterbacks on the roster for close to $120 million?.....

Discuss..

Bucs_Rule
04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Whoever they sign will cost that much. It just comes down to who will help you must in the long run.

Splat
04-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Whoever they sign will cost that much. It just comes down to who will help you must in the long run.

That is not entirely true while who ever they take at #4 is going to get a very nice deal a QB would get more right or wrong that is the way it is.

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
that's a lot of money to tie up in one position. That said, if you're gonna spend that kind of money at any one position, it might as well be QB. I suppose it all depends on how much the seahawks really like Sanchez.

niel89
04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
^true, also the contract for Sanchez wouldnt be that bad because he wouldn't hit that many of the incentives because he would be a back up for a while. Without all those incentives added in Im sure that that it would be more reasonable of a figure.

HawkEye30
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
i really really really really really really hope to god that we do not draft sanchez

D-Unit
04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
They are not drafting Sanchez. My bet, they'll land Jason Smith.

vikes_28
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Does Matt Hasselbeck really suck that bad? I don't understand the need for two franchise QB's. I'd say trade Matt or draft someone else.

ryno626
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Does Matt Hasselbeck really suck that bad? I don't understand the need for two franchise QB's. I'd say trade Matt or draft someone else.

I don't think taking Sanchez would be a reflection on how "bad" Hasselbeck is. He's coming back from back surgery correct? How often has Seattle been in posistion to draft in the top 5? They may not be in a position in the future to draft his replacement without having to trade up, there may not even be anyone worth trading up/drafting at all. Him being healthy next year is worth a few more wins i would imagine

Crickett
04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Well I was watching this discussion --> (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fe6f22)

A lot of good points were made. I believe in theory the Seahawks taking Mark Sanchez would be a good idea, learning behind a proven quarterback in Hasselbeck.

Could the Seahawks afford it?.....

In 2005, Hasselbeck signed a six year extension worth $49 million...

Last year the 3rd pick Matt Ryan signed a deal worth $72 million and you figure Sanchez being the 4th pick in this scenario would want somewhere in the neighborhood of that money.

So would the Seahawks keep two quarterbacks on the roster for close to $120 million?.....

Discuss..

In 2005, Walter Jones signed a $50+ million dollar extension.
In 2009, T.J. Houshmandzadeh signed a $40 million dollar extension.

OneToughGame
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM

No, He doesn't suck at all. The only problem with him has been staying healthy. Your E.J. started all these injury issues btw :(

:p

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't think taking Sanchez would be a reflection on how "bad" Hasselbeck is. He's coming back from back surgery correct? How often has Seattle been in posistion to draft in the top 5? They may not be in a position in the future to draft his replacement without having to trade up, there may not even be anyone worth trading up/drafting at all. Him being healthy next year is worth a few more wins i would imagine

I tend to agree, this is the first and probably last time Seattle will be picking outside of the middle to latter stage of round one for a while. They're still a strong team, more so now with the Houshmanzadeh signing.

It makes sense to use that high pick on the best QB available since Hasselbeck is 33 and has a history of some niggling injuries, at most he's likely to be a starter for 3 years. Draft sanchez, let him sit for a year and a half let him close out 2010 for Seattle and trade/release/kill off Hasselbeck before 2011 and look forward to the next decade with a good QB.

tjsunstein
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I doubt they go QB. I'll leave it at that. But I wouldn't be surprised for the reasons already stated.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-23-2009, 06:55 PM
The $100 million dollar concept is more than a bit deceiving.

Just about $30 million of Hasselbeck's $49 million dollar contract has already been paid out. Most people agree that Sanchez could do with some bench and clipboard experience, so having Matt for 2009 season is pretty much worth it and then the Seahawks can go into 2010 either with the option of trading Hasselbeck (who would have to re-negotiate his contract with any prospective new team), or have a very good backup safety net for the team if Sanchez gets hurt or runs into major trouble his first year starting. Then Hasselbeck is gone.

Of the total potential cap hit of Mark Sanchez's contract were he picked #4 overall, only about 10% will show up in the first two years of his NFL career anyway (I'm assuming, based off other recent top 10 quarterback selections).

This isn't really a financial problem. At all. Whether Seattle picks a quarterback or not remains to be seen (certainly Ruskell has been trying to convince people they won't), but finances shouldn't hold them back.

PoopSandwich
04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
It would do Sanchez good to sit behind Matt for a year, after this year Seattle could probably trade Matt for a 2nd or third round pick to a team looking for a vet QB that thinks they could win right now (such at the Vikings.)

Byrd430
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
I have been going back and forth on this one. I do one mock with Sanchez #4 and another with Monroe #4. Then, I try to play around with trades and my head explodes.

Here's my thing, and I only present this as maybe a different approach on things. The Seahawks can win right now. Assuming no injuries, this team probably won't be picking in the top 5 or even top 10 anytime soon again.

Why not get your QB of the future now while you have your top pick?