PDA

View Full Version : Where Do Stafford and Sanchez Stack Up Compared to Previous Years?

Thunder&Lightning
04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Compared to the top 2 quarterbacks in the past 4 years where do sanchez and stafford stack up?

Ryan
Flacco

Russell
Quinn

Leinart
Young
Cutler

Rodgers
Smith

MikeBaltimore12
04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
don't you mean

08: Ryan and Flacco?

Thunder&Lightning
04-22-2009, 10:03 AM
don't you mean

08: Ryan and Flacco?

good call man

abaddon41_80
04-22-2009, 10:13 AM
If I ranked those 5 QB classes about how I felt about them at the time of the draft I would go,

2006: I thought Leinart and Cutler would both be stars and that Young would suck

2005: I really liked both Smith and Rodgers coming out. I thought they were both worthy of the #1 pick

2009: Stafford is an elite prospect but I feel that Sanchez is getting overhyped

2008: I didn't really like either Ryan or Flacco coming out. So sue me.

2007: I hated Russell as a prospect, felt like he was late 1st at best, and felt that Quinn would be a solid starter for years.

1. Matt Leinart - I thought he was going to be a HoF QB someday
2. Jay Cutler - I loved his big arm and athletic ability
3. Matt Stafford - Experience against top competition and a huge arm
4. Alex Smith - Intelligence, athletic ability, and accuracy. Thought he would be great
5. Brady Quinn - Good all-around QB that didn't make mistakes
6. Aaron Rodgers - Same as Quinn, except not quite as good
7. Matt Ryan - Didn't like him much. Thought he threw too many picks.
8. Mark Sanchez - I don't get why people love him so much
9. Joe Flacco - I thought he might need to sit for a while
10. JaMarcus Russell - 2nd round prospect with a big arm, imo
11. Vince Young - Hated him. Too football stupid to play QB in the NFl.

Thunder&Lightning
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
1. Young
2. Ryan
3. Russell
4. Stafford
5. Leinart
6. Cutler
7. Sanchez
8. Smith
9. Flacco
10. Quinn
11. Rodgers

3pac
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
My rankings were something like....

1. 2006 (I thought Vince would be the next Cunningham, Leinart would be solid, and Cutler would work in a gunslinger offense)

2. 2007 (I still think Brady Quinn will be a great QB....I thought JaMarcus Russel would bust)

3. 2009 (I can see potential in Sanchez, I don't really like Stafford but maybe he'll succeed)

4. 2005 (I hated Alex Smith, I thought Rodgers would do well)

5. 2008 (I didn't like Ryan OR Flacco, thought they'd both bust....wups)

Overall for QBs I'd say, at the time....

1. Quinn
2. Young
3. Rodgers
4. Leinart
5. Sanchez
6. Cutler
and I didn't like the rest

Matthew Jones
04-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Compared to the top 2 quarterbacks in the past 4 years where do sanchez and stafford stack up?

Ryan
Flacco

Russell
Quinn

Leinart
Young
Cutler

Rodgers
Smith

Hm...I'd take either one over the two in 05. I think Stafford is better than Leinart and Cutler, Sanchez is about equal. Flacco and Alex Smith are the two weakest. Here's how I'd rank the guys you listed as prospects:

Top prospects:

1. Matt Ryan
2. JaMarcus Russell
3. Matthew Stafford
4. Vince Young
5. Brady Quinn

Then a little bit lower:

6. Mark Sanchez
7. Jay Cutler
8. Matt Leinart
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Alex Smith

I didn't rank as a first rounder:

11. Joe Flacco

bored of education
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
personally as prospects but i have man crushes like none other on cutler and staffordizzle. i

1. Stafford
2. Cutler
3. J Russ
4. Ryan
5. Leinart
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Quinn
8. Sanchez
9. Flacco

I hated Smith and young.

BuddyCHRIST
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
1. Stafford
2. Quinn
3. Leinart
4. Vince
5. Cutler
6. Ryan
7. Russell
8. Rodgers
9. Smith
10. Flacco

I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't a huge fan of Ryan as a prospect, and obviously he played great but I still don't think he'll be all time great like Manning or Brady. I didn't really like Russell coming out either, but I do think he can succeed now, my main question mark was his short passing and he's impressed me with that and I think he could end up being pretty good. Flacco I didn't really know anything about, and didn't follow much last year because I didn't see him as a first rounder.

Matthew Jones
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
personally as prospects but i have man crushes like none other on cutler and staffordizzle. i

1. Stafford
2. Cutler
3. J Russ
4. Ryan
5. Leinart
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Quinn
8. Sanchez
9. Flacco

I hated Smith and young.

How could you hate Vince Young after the Rose Bowl you boezo? Unless of course you are a USC fan!

jnew76
04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
At the time they were coming out I would have had them like this (I think) -

Matt Ryan
Vince Young (still have faith)
Brady Quinn
Aaron Rodgers
Jay Cutler
Mark Sanchez
Matthew Stafford
Matt Leinart
Joe Flacco
Alex Smith
JaMarcus Russell

Brothgar
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I didn't follow the draft in 05 so at draft time I thought.

1. Matt Stafford
2. Matt Leinart
3. Matt Ryan
4. Jay Cutler
5. JaMarcus Russell
6. Vince Young
7. Mark Sanchez
8. Joe Flacco

9. Brady Quinn

jnew76
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
How could you hate Vince Young after the Rose Bowl you boezo? Unless of course you are a USC fan!

Still one of the greatest individual performance I have ever seen at the college level... Probably the best. Permanently DVR'd on my Cable box.

Brent
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
1) Quinn - Thought he had it all. I was shocked to see him slip.
2) Leinart - Being a lefty and he was very pro-ready coming out.
3) Cutler - I liked how great he was in the SEC on a poorly stocked team.
4) Stafford - I dont really see any thing about his flaws which cannot be fixed.
5) Rodgers - I used to be one of the biggest Cal homers.
6) Smith - Believed he had all the tools but needed to sit... Thanks, Mike Nolan.
7) Flacco - I have a thing for small-school QBs
8) Ryan - I wasnt overly impressed but I didnt hate the guy.
9) Sanchez - 16 starts scares the hell out of me.
10) Russell - Thought he was coming out too soon.
11) Young - Everything about him screamed bust to me.

Sidenote: I didnt put Young that low because I am an A&M alum, I just sincerely did not like him at all coming out. I thought he should have stayed another year, as much as it would have pained me to see. He is still one of the best college players I've ever seen, too.

Brothgar
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM

His mechanics were and still are horrible that is why I didn't like him. I want to know where all this Matt Ryan love was? I don't remember any of it.

FloridaSkinzFan
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
*COUGH* Jason Campbell *COUGH*

some people decided to mention Alex smith and not one of the other 1st round QB's from the 05 class

Addict
04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
*COUGH* Jason Campbell *COUGH*

some people decided to mention Alex smith and not one of the other 1st round QB's from the 05 class

Smith and Rodgers were ranked way, way higher than Campbell coming out.

MooshooGawd
04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I like the drafts that non-draft nuts can get excited about. Like even my friends that didn't know anything about sports knew who Reggie Bush was. You know what I mean? I like my prospects to have had success over a long time and to have made a reputation for themselves.

I would go...

2006 - (Young, Leinart, Cutler) I think that this was the best clas because everyone, both die-hards and casual sports fans, knew who these prospects were. It just made it more fun. Leinart and Young were coming off that fantastic National Championship game and were completely different QB's. Cutler was the underdog that nobody had seen.

2009 - (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman) This is kind of set up the same way that 2006's draft was. I live in SEC country, so most of the people around here have gotten to watch Stafford play for a long time. Same goes for Sanchez who was on national TV nearly every week. Freeman is kind of in the role of Cutler from 2006.

2007 - (Russell, Quinn) I didn't like Russell much coming out. He just didn't seem like the type of guy that was willing to do the work it took to become successful in the NFL. People just bragged about how strong of an arm he had. I didn't think that was deserving of the number 1 pick. Brady Quinn was basically everything that you wanted in a prospect. Had success, was marketable, well-known, and seemed poised to just pick up from where he left off. (Whoops!)

2008 - (Ryan, Flacco) This draft was supposed to be Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson and Chad Henne. I didn't like Ryan. It's probably the most off the mark that I've ever been with a prospect. I just didn't like how many INT's he had at BC, I thought he was overrated and I thought he was only getting drafted at the top based off of his position. Was definitely wrong. I didn't like Flacco either. I had my concerns and I still do. But he had one hell of a year last year.

2005 - (Rodgers, Smith) I don't think that it got any worse than this - and that's not because how both of their careers have gone since that draft. I just mean going into it, you had another Jeff Tedford guy vs a guy that had shot up the draft for absolutely no reason. Seriously. Smith was considered a great 2nd round pick and then overnight he was number 1. Just glad my team didn't need a QB that year.

jnew76
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I want to know where all this Matt Ryan love was? I don't remember any of it.

I was not around near as much last year, so I did not beat the drum as loudly as I would have. I kept looking at his tape and saw no weaknesses except the fact that he did not have an Elway like arm. I was as confident in him succeeding as I was of Peyton Manning and that is who I compared him to.

Of course, I also had a ton of confidence in VY because I thought he would be able to create and extend plays better than any QB in the league with his combination of size/speed/strength. Thought I was right after his rookie year... Then the regression came because of seeming lack of mental toughness.

3pac
04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I still think that if Brady Quinn is actually GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY and doesn't have his career ruined by the idiots making calls in Cleveland that he can be great.

mqtirishfan
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
2005 - (Rodgers, Smith) I don't think that it got any worse than this - and that's not because how both of their careers have gone since that draft. I just mean going into it, you had another Jeff Tedford guy vs a guy that had shot up the draft for absolutely no reason. Seriously. Smith was considered a great 2nd round pick and then overnight he was number 1. Just glad my team didn't need a QB that year.

I'm personally glad that the Packers took Rodgers.

drowe
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
since everyone else is going back to '05

1-Brady Quinn
2-Jay Cutler
3-Matt Leinart
4-Vince Young
5-Matt Ryan
6-Joe Flacco
7-JaMarcus Russell
8-Alex Smith
9-Aaron Rodgers

i might look like an idiot with those rankings, but at least ya know i'm being honest...and to be fair, if i included the 2004 draft class, i'd have Manning and Rivers 1 and 2 and Big Ben somewhere near the top.

now, for 2009, I would put Stafford somewhere in the top 3. maybe MAYBE #1. can't put a price on a pro style offense, strong arm and experience against top competition. for my money, he has everything ya look for.

Sanchez...probably somewhere behind Matt Ryan, but ahead of JaMarcus Russell.

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
How much I like them? uhhh

1. Stafford (I have a man-crush, sue me)
2. Quinn
3a. Sanchez
3b. Leinart
4. Cutler
5. Ryan
6. Flacco
7. Russell
8. Young

I really didn't like Young coming out, nor Russell. Can't tell you why, something just didn't feel right or something. I thought Leinart was going to do great, expected Quinn to de even better. I fell in love with Stafford a few months ago. Sanchez I like but I think he's being a bit overhyped at the moment. But he'll be good.
Ryan and Flacco I was just indifferent to. They just seemed so bland. Flacco's lack of top-level opposition didn't sit right with me, and I was unsure what to make of Ryan's many interceptions. Both of them really didn't do it for me.
I didn't rank Rodgers & Smith because when they came out I wasn't into football yet, so I walked in post-epic drop and epic bust.

Yatta!
04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
1. Matt Leinart
2. Matthew Stafford
3. Brady Quinn
4. Vince Young
5. JaMarcus Russell
6. Mark Sanchez
7. Matt Ryan
8. Jay Cutler

9. Joe Flacco

Something like that anyway.

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
really wish vince young didnt have a good senior bowl lol

Saints-Tigers
04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I think when they were coming out, Stafford and Sanchez would have both fallen behind Young and Leinart, and I think Stafford would probably go ahead of Cutler, with Sanchez falling behind them all. I can't see teams falling for these two when Young and Leinart just had incredible seasons, Young had an amazing game, and his tools are outrageous....

I think Russell probably still goes over Stafford, Sanchez could sneak ahead of Quinn since he was being dissected so hard, that is a toss up, I'd probably give the nod to Quinn though.

Ryan and Flacco... Stafford goes above Ryan, Sanchez is in the discussion with him probably.

Stafford is a lock number 1 pick to San Francisco, and Sanchez goes above Smith and Rodgers.

Addict
04-22-2009, 12:01 PM

I remember that year as one of the more devisive ones. The Leinart-Young debate was fierce.

Then again, so was the Quinn-Russel one. Last year and this year really haven't been quite th same. Ryan was pretty much untouched and Stafford-Sanchez isn't nearly as sincere, everyone sort of agrees both are good, but they prefer one of the two.

We should have ourselves a nice QB war again next year, it's always fun (until it gets old)

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2009, 12:24 PM

When did this happen?

bored of education
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
When did this happen?

i think he may have meant Rose Bowl??? :eek:

whatadai
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
1. Matt Ryan
2. Matt Leinart
3. Brady Quinn
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Alex Smith
6. Jay Cutler
7. Vince Young
8. JaMarcus Russell
9. Joe Flacco

Nalej
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
B. Quinn
M. Ryan
A. Rodgers
M. Sanchez
V. Young
M. Stafford
J. Russell
J. Cutler
A. Smith
M. Leinart
J. Flacco

romo4prez415
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
1. Matt Ryan
2. Jay Cutler (spectacular against Florida and Tennesse)
3. Mark Sanchez
4. Vince Young (Rose Bowl did me in)
5. Aaron Rogers
6. Trent Edwards (watch alot of west coast football and he just looked the part but was surrounded by garbage and Bill Walsh absolutley loved him) Top rated qb in that class for me.
7. Jamarcus Russell
8. Matthew Stafford
9. Brady Quinn
10. Joe Flacco
11. Alex Smith

the decider13
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
1. Ryan
2. Stafford
3. Russell
4a. Sanchez
4b. Quinn
5. Cutler
6. Rodgers
7. Leinart
8. Smith
9. Young
10. Flacco

I always disliked everything about Vince Young (prolly a Texas thing), thought he was way over rated. Smith was over rated too. Didn't even think Flacco was a first rounder last year.

DeathbyStat
04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Part of this is surely hindsight but I would go

1.Ryan
2.Leinart
3.Cutler
4.Young
5.Sanchez
6.Stafford
7.Quinn
8.Rodgers
9.Flacco
10.Russell
11Smith

I would put all four 04 QB's over these guys

Malaka
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah okay you guys you definitely all had Matt Ryan as the best QB prospect in the last 4 years before the season started :rolleyes:

Addict
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah okay you guys you definitely all had Matt Ryan as the best QB prospect in the last 4 years before the season started :rolleyes:

HindsightŪ it's 20/20

romo4prez415
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM

He's been the surest prospect since Phillip Rivers IMO because his skills translated well to the next level. He had the footwork, pocket presence, anticipation skills, arm strength, accuracy, and leadership abilities. I thought Ryan would be Matt Hasselback but I think I underestimated him. When I watch Sanchez I think both he and Ryan share similar qualities especially when it comes to throwing guys open with there anticipation skills. I think there ceilings are similar but Ryan was further along coming out because of his experience which is why I believe he was the better prospect.

georgiafan
04-22-2009, 03:06 PM

lol year last year a ton of people (including myself) had Ryan being a mistake on here. Now everyone had him as a can't miss prospect and one of the best in the last 4 years.

the decider13
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
At least no one has Flacco in the top 3...no one picked him to be that good.

Mr.Regular
04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
From 05-09, Id rate the first rounders as prospects in this way:

Elite prospects
1) Russell
2) Stafford
-----------
Very good prospects
3) Leinart
4) Quinn
5) Rodgers
6) Young
7) Smith
8) Cutler
9) Ryan
10) Sanchez
-----------
Late first type prospects
11) Freeman
12) Campbell
13) Flacco

D4rk 0ne
04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
1.) Quinn -- thought he was going to be the next great Weis product... Still has upside.
2.) Stafford -- great accuracy and decision-making.
3.) Russell -- so much potential; would have liked him to stay for his senior year.
4.) Sanchez -- has everything it takes to potentially become a great QB; more upside than Leinart.
5.) Rodgers -- was a big fan of his; saw him play every weekend at Cal.
6.) Leinart -- didn't think his ceiling was super high, but I think he can be a solid starter for years.
7.) Smith -- was skeptical of his college career but he was still a good prospect.
8.) Cutler -- liked him a lot, mostly concerned about his ability to read the defenses and make his reads.
9.) Ryan -- felt like he only went high because there wasn't competition at QB but it was a big need for other teams.
10.) Young -- fell in love with his Rose Bowl performance but was worried that his speed wouldn't be enough to make him great in the NFL.
11.) Flacco -- new he had an arm but was worried about how he'd match up to pro QBs. Didn't really know much about him to be honest...

Babylon
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
As a pair i would probably rank Stafford and Sanchez right there with Eli and Rivers in that they'll probably go in the same area and have pretty much a similar impact on their teams.

bored of education
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
At least no one has Flacco in the top 3...no one picked him to be that good.

I loved him as a prospect and thought a year or two sitting behind someone is where he would do best, then start year 2-3ish. But this early success even I could not have predicted. :D

Brent
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
The same could be said of all the people putting Smith so low.

hockey619
04-22-2009, 06:46 PM
My honest ranking of how I saw them at the time they were drafted

1) Sanchez- I love him and been in love with his game since October and thought he was the best available this year since he declared. I really think he is going to be a great nfl qb. Hes got the polish and fundamentals down pat like Aaron Rodgers did. Hes seems like a great leader and appears a very hard worker. Hes mobile and throws very well on the run. To me hes got it all but experience. If he sits, I think its almost a lock that he’ll succeed. If he jumps right in, I still think he can do it but that it might be a little rougher of a transition. To me, hes got the head to get it done and I think hes a great prospect.

2) Jamarcus Russell- as far as physical skillset, I think he may be unmatched all time. Just great package but work ethic questions scared me quite a bit. Thought with proper coaching he could become all time great caliber player. Hasn’t been bad but has been really mishandled by the raiders. Still could become an amazing player. If not for the work ethic questions, might have been the best qb prospect ever.

3) Young- thought he would redefine the position. He had ‘it’ the ‘it.’ There is so so so so much I could say about him. First, I thought that he was on the right track and then his confidence went straight to hell. I still think he can do it and believe that its possible because if you watch hes such a freak talent, but his mental approach and confidence have been shattered. His swagger is gone, his happy go lucky just kickin *** and havin fun mentality is gone. It was a combination of a lot of things but in the end he just cracked and that was it. I think it really started during the combine with the wonderlic and everyone calling him an idiot for the wrong score they had on him. I also thought he was never really given a legit chance to succeed. Hes a rare talent with unique abilities that they tried to plug into a conventional system and expected him to succeed. It played to none of his strengths and has helped lead to this disaster for this player with so much potential. I could go on forever about how terribly his situation has been handled and how fisher, while a great coach and class act, really dropped the ball on this one. Hed be number 2 but he was a raw as a passer and I thought even back when he came out that odds were someone was going to try to change his game rather than utilize his rare talent.

4) Quinn- really liked him and still think he could be good. Was torn between him a JR because hes more complete and less question marks on the important things. That draft sort of reminded me of Manning vs Leaf: guy who some said had maxed out his skills versus guy with otherworldly upside. He was the safer pick because you knew he would work really hard and at least be a decent qb.

5) Rodgers- thought he had tremendous polish but the tedford system questions scared the crap out of me. Didn’t follow this draft as closely cause I wasn’t as into it then as now. Minus the tedford thing, really liked him but that alone was so worrying due to the mountain of evidence against prospects coming from that system that requires qbs to scan only half the field.

6) Smith- liked him a lot, he was accurate and could move around and honestly didn’t think they needed to be that patient with him because he was so intelligent that I thought he could pick it up as he went. I still think that he could turn it around but he never really had a great arm and after the injuries physically and mentally I don’t know if he can overcome it. He was really close to Rodgers, two different players who to me graded out similarly.

7) Ryan- likened him to a poor mans tom brady, like a hassleback. Thought hed be alright until close to the draft when I started hearing about his manning like work ethic and it occurred to me that many of the questions about him were also wondered about peyton like the lack of a cannon arm and the questions of whether he had already peaked and had any upside left. He just looked the part in college, the way he stood in the pocket and carried himself, it was hard to not like him despite the fact that he was only really good for one year and threw a ton of picks which worried me a bit and tempered my enthusiasm. That led me to thinking a little higher of him and thinking hed be solid, but I didn’t expect him to do as well as he has so fast.

8) Cutler- liked him a bit just not as much as the guys ahead of him. Was just worried about footwork because of all the hits he had taken he developed some bad habits like throwing off his back foot some accuracy concerns, but overall I liked his toughness and leadership. I hadn’t seen that much of him so he was hard to evaluate so I cant have much higher than this but I he brought a great package of skills.

9) Stafford- Not nearly as high on him as others. Don’t know if hes got the intangibles to get it done but may be similar to Eli in that it takes him a little more time to establish himself in the pros. Hes got the physical skillset to be good but he was a disappointment at Georgia and has been given more excuses than any player I can remember. Saw quite a bit of him this year and at no point was I like ‘wow hes something special.’ He had moments where we got a glimpse but I didn’t see enough that I just really don’t think he’ll end up being very good, maybe above average but never anything special. I just get a bad feeling from him and feel hes lacking it. Similar to JR to me in that he has great physical abilities just got some questions about his head, but I think hes a notch below Russell as a player and Russell made a number of throws that were jaw droppingly impressive which is why they are so far apart. Reminds me of Aikman a bit in that if he goes to a good situation he could be that guy that is the triggerman of a killer offense, but cant carry them to me. If hes the focal point of the team, I think he will fail.

10 and 11) Freeman and Flacco- didn’t like him at all in the slightest. Thought he was just a late riser who was moving up because of lack of depth and minus the size and arm didn’t see anything to make me believe he could be great and is still a project to me that has a lot to learn. (fits my feelings for both to a T)

12) Campbell- was completely neutral to him. Had some tools that I thought might help but didn’t get a good feel from him so really wasn’t interested.

13) Leinart- hated him. Wow did I hate him. Just thought his team carried him and not the other way around. I just thought he wasn’t nearly as good as he was credited as being. Preferred young and cutler even though I hadn’t seen much of him. Probably would’ve drafted a traffic cone over leinart, really had a passionate dislike for him and still do.

princefielder28
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Brady Quinn
Vince Young
Jay Cutler
Mark Sanchez
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Matthew Stafford
Matt Leinart
JaMarcus Russell
Joe Flacco
Alex Smith

As prospect, those are my rankings

abaddon41_80
04-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I don't understand how anyone could put Sanchez ahead of Leinart as a prospect. Both had/have the label of 'product of the talent around them' but Leinart was more accurate, more experienced, made better decisions, better sized, just as athletic, and had just as strong of an arm. I thought Leinart was a once in a decade or more prospect and I am willing to admit it. Just out of curiosity, what did you guys not like about Leinart?

Addict
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't understand how anyone could put Sanchez ahead of Leinart as a prospect. Both had/have the label of 'product of the talent around them' but Leinart was more accurate, more experienced, made better decisions, better sized, just as athletic, and had just as strong of an arm. I thought Leinart was a once in a decade or more prospect and I am willing to admit it. Just out of curiosity, what did you guys not like about Leinart?

that's probably the point where most would disagree with you. Even as a prospect, Leinart was clearly a WCO guy with an average arm. Sanchez does have a better arm.

Other than that I can't help you, I loved Leinart coming out. Hell I still believe he'll be good.

Staubach12
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Here's how I rank them depending upon how I liked them at the time.

1.Russell
Best QB prospect I've ever seen. A lot of the questions about his decision making skills were simply not there on tape, pretty damn smart on the field, and he was a playmaker. Big, strong, good accuracy and incredible arm.

2.Cutler
LOVED this guy. Tough, poised, great arm. I saw him play in person and fell in love.

3.Stafford
Very good prospect. A lot like Cutler, but I don't see as much grit out of him.

4.Leinart
I liked him at the time. I though the questions about his arm were overblown but I was concerned about competition, etc.

5.Ryan
I like him but wasn't in love. I thought he slinged it just a bit too much, but I loved his intangibles.

6.Quinn
I liked Quinn. I thought his accuracy was too spotty, though. My theory was that he had gotten just a bit too strong, and it had effected his release, and therefore his accuracy. But I still liked him.

7.Sanchez
Not a huge fan. Good athlete, nice arm. But I'm concerned about experience and competition. Especially experience.

8.Rodgers
I liked him OK. Not a great prospect IMO, but good. All the tools and stuff, but I wanted him to sit, which he did. It worked out well.

9.Flacco
I thought he would be good after sitting for a few years. Obviously I was wrong.

10.Smith
Not a fan of that system at all. I hated him.

11.Young
I HATED YOUNG as a prospect. HATED. He needed more experience, he needed to improve a lot of mechanics and such, and he needed to sit once he got to the NFL. None of those things happened.

abaddon41_80
04-22-2009, 07:08 PM
that's probably the point where most would disagree with you. Even as a prospect, Leinart was clearly a WCO guy with an average arm. Sanchez does have a better arm.

Other than that I can't help you, I loved Leinart coming out. Hell I still believe he'll be good.

I am not gonna say that Leinart had a great arm but I think Sanchez's arm strength is being exaggerated. Every throw that Sanchez has made in his 16 starts, Leinart made at least a few times in his career at USC.

romo4prez415
04-23-2009, 12:26 AM
I am not gonna say that Leinart had a great arm but I think Sanchez's arm strength is being exaggerated. Every throw that Sanchez has made in his 16 starts, Leinart made at least a few times in his career at USC.

IMO Sanchez is the clear superior prospect. Accuracy wise I call it a tie but in terms of arm strength it isn't even close Sanchez arm is just as strong as Matt Ryan's and alot stronger than Matt Leinart's. Sanchez's leadership skills are raved about. Sanchez is a football guy and wasn't talking about Hollywood before even getting drafted. Comparing Leinart and Sanchez I give the accolades to Leinart but in terms of pure ability I like Sanchez alot more. I like his pocket presence, arm strength, anticipation skills, leadership, and work ethic alot more than Leinart. Accuracy wise they're the same IMO. I still think Leinart has a shot at a Chad Pennington type career.

Matt Leinart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDYfdFHMUk

Mark Sanchez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_rib5nD5P0

If you cannot see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

BigBanger
04-23-2009, 01:15 AM
I'll go back another year.

1. Philip Rivers (Didn't think it got any better. Still haven't seen a guy with the size, accuracy and production he's had. #1 overall)
2. Jay Cutler (One of his biggest fans until everyone else jumped on the bandwagon driven by Mike Mayock. #1 overall)
3. Matthew Stafford (#1 prospect.)
4. Ben Roethlisberger (Had it all. MAC confrence and costly turnovers were the only concerns. #4 overall.)
5. Aaron Rodgers (Really liked him a lot more than Smith. #3 overall.)
6. Mark Sanchez (Great footwork. The best of any of these guys. 8th overall)
7. Vince Young (Thought he was going to be the QB that broke the "college system" negative. 9th overall)
8. JaMarcus Russell (12th overall)
9. Matt Ryan (Wrong about him. Much better than I thought he was going to be. 17th overall)
10. Eli Manning (23rd overall)
11. Matt Leinart (24th overall)
12. Alex Smith (24th overall)
13. Joe Flacco (40th overall)
14. Brady Quinn (44th overall)

Crickett
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM

Ryan
Flacco

Russell
Quinn

Leinart
Young
Cutler

Rodgers
Smith

1. JaMarcus Russell
2. Matt Leinart
3. Vince Young
4a. Aaron Rodgers
4b. Brady Quinn
6. Matt Ryan
7. Jay Cutler
8. Joe Flacco

9. ALEX SMITH

I'll admit I got a lot of these wrong. I thought Jay Cutler was a product of the Mike Mayock hype and that people were giving him too much leway because he went to Vanderbilt which is a small football school. I was dead wrong about him.

But I thought Alex Smith would be a COMPLETE BUST and Tim Couch version 2. So far, thats exactly what he is. Minus the whining. But Smith still has some time for that.

As far as Stafford and Sanchez, I'd probably slot them after Young and Cutler. Sanchez, well, I'm really worried about his lack of starting experience. And the sheer number of offensive skill position players out of USC who have not lived up to the billing the past 5 years.

marshfield
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
1. Rodgers
2. Cutler
3. Sanchez
4. Young (yeah, f'd this one up good)
5. Leinart (strike two)
6. Ryan
7. Flacco
8. Smith
9. Quinn
10. Stafford
11. Russell

This is all going off what I've written in emails to my friends when we talked about the draft. We talk about it a lot, we all have desk jobs so we need something to pass the time. I've said many times in emails that the bottom 4 on my list will be busts. So far so good :)

wicket
04-23-2009, 09:18 AM
1Cutler
2Stafford
3Rodgers
4Ryan
5Leinart
6Quinn
7Young
8Russell
9Sanchez
10Smith
11Flacco

3pac
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
1. Rodgers
2. Cutler
3. Sanchez
4. Young (yeah, f'd this one up good)
5. Leinart (strike two)
6. Ryan
7. Flacco
8. Smith
9. Quinn
10. Stafford
11. Russell

This is all going off what I've written in emails to my friends when we talked about the draft. We talk about it a lot, we all have desk jobs so we need something to pass the time. I've said many times in emails that the bottom 4 on my list will be busts. So far so good :)

Quinn has started 3 NFL games. You can't call him a bust yet. If he does horrible this season, then go ahead. And as much as I hate Russell, he deserves another year too. Smith, however, is a bust.

And I agree that Stafford will be.

giant73zuma
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Quinn- Homer/man crush
Cutler- Knew he would be a stud
Leinart- Weak arm but wins, accuracy, and intelligence made up for that
Sanchez- Man crush
Stafford- Strong arm, tons of experience
Rodgers- Tedford background scared me but I liked him
Flacco- Huge arm, Prototype QB, turned off by being a D 1AA player
Campbell- Tons of experience, screw by coaching changes, good potential
Ryan- Wasn't very high on him, thought he was only hyped so much because of lack of stud QB in draft, so far has proved me wrong
Russell- Physical freak but that was it, too lazy and raw
Smith- Gigmick offense
Young- Just a runner IMO

3pac
04-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Quinn- Homer/man crush
Cutler- Knew he would be a stud
Leinart- Weak arm but wins, accuracy, and intelligence made up for that
Sanchez- Man crush
Stafford- Strong arm, tons of experience
Rodgers- Tedford background scared me but I liked him
Flacco- Huge arm, Prototype QB, turned off by being a D 1AA player
Campbell- Tons of experience, screw by coaching changes, good potential
Ryan- Wasn't very high on him, thought he was only hyped so much because of lack of stud QB in draft, so far has proved me wrong
Russell- Physical freak but that was it, too lazy and raw
Smith- Gigmick offense
Young- Just a runner IMO

I share your man crush.