PDA

View Full Version : I just got a funny feeling...

Steelions
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Today I just really have a strong gut feeling the Lions are going to take Curry. With Curry talking about taking a contract less than that of Jack Long last year (why would you say that unless the deal is already structured that way), and Mayhew saying that if he and Schwartz don't agree on a pick they will move to the next guy on the list. Anyway, we will know soon enough.

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 11:22 AM
i would love to see curry go no.1 hes the best overall prospect in the draft

Addict
04-22-2009, 11:30 AM
no. no. no.

NO.

and also: NO.

did I mention I say NO to Curry #1?

TheDoctor8
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
What position would he play. He is not a MLB. Mayock, who is a god concerning a lot of people on here, said he is a SLB and nothing else.

Brodeur
04-22-2009, 11:49 AM
WE ARE NOT ******* TAKING CURRY FIRST. Now then...

Steelions
04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree that it seems like a bad idea to take a guy at #1 and play him out of his natural position, but it just seems like some of the chatter over the last couple of days by Curry and Mayhew seems weird.

Now, it could be that Mayhew saying if they don't agree they move on to the next guy is just away of taking Stafford and putting to bed the idea that the organization is split about him.

Brothgar
04-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree that it seems like a bad idea to take a guy at #1 and play him out of his natural position, but it just seems like some of the chatter over the last couple of days by Curry and Mayhew seems weird.

Now, it could be that Mayhew saying if they don't agree they move on to the next guy is just away of taking Stafford and putting to bed the idea that the organization is split about him.

Last week before the draft = smoke screen week.

Lions-Slappy
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
It would be a typical Lions move to draft Curry...

did anyone else listen to Valenti & Foster on 97.1 yesterday afternoon, they were reporting that ESPN had an article out listing the #1 pick of the last 20 years and that for 2009 it listed the Lions drafting Aaron Curry?

I heard this as I was getting home so I didnt sit in the car to hear it out. just wonder if anyone else heard this. I tried to find this on espn last night with no luck.

Addict
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM

did anyone else listen to Valenti & Foster on 97.1 yesterday afternoon, they were reporting that ESPN had an article out listing the #1 pick of the last 20 years and that for 2009 it listed the Lions drafting Aaron Curry?

I heard this as I was getting home so I didnt sit in the car to hear it out. just wonder if anyone else heard this. I tried to find this on espn last night with no luck.

it's horrible. If they draft Curry, it's basically a sign that this new Lions FO is no better than the last.

Brothgar
04-22-2009, 04:02 PM

First and foremost (and this isn't directed to only you) it seems that regardless of who is of that person's preference they all say "If they don't draft ____ it is going to be typical Lions move (aka the wrong move). That's just stupid the typical Lions move is to not do your due diligence spend 4 days a week in Pennsylvania and trust your scouts to spoon feed you the right choices and not do any real work on your own. Who ever they pick (I know they aren't taking my choice.) I'm going to give the regime the benefit of the doubt. I don't think that Schwartz needs a finished MLB product. He can make one.

Back to the OT yeah I heard the report about ESPN.com making a mistake. I didn't see it nor did I see any listing of the past 20 #1 picks on ESPN. You didn't miss much to the story.

Addict
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
First and foremost (and this isn't directed to only you) it seems that regardless of who is of that person's preference they all say "If they don't draft ____ it is going to be typical Lions move (aka the wrong move). That's just stupid the typical Lions move is to not do your due diligence spend 4 days a week in Pennsylvania and trust your scouts to spoon feed you the right choices and not do any real work on your own. Who ever they pick (I know they aren't taking my choice.) I'm going to give the regime the benefit of the doubt. I don't think that Schwartz needs a finished MLB product. He can make one.

Back to the OT yeah I heard the report about ESPN.com making a mistake. I didn't see it nor did I see any listing of the past 20 #1 picks on ESPN. You didn't miss much to the story.

just out of curiousity: who? Raji?

Brothgar
04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
just out of curiousity: who? Raji?

Raji is my #1 choice that is who I would like to see on this team. Second choice would be Stafford

Addict
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Raji is my #1 choice that is who I would like to see on this team. Second choice would be Stafford

I guess it's kinda like Willis a few years ago. I wanted him in detroit, but we were just too high pick-wise to make that selection viable.

Go Blue
04-22-2009, 06:37 PM
The radio station personalities are fools. On 730 am on the Huge show they were bashing the idea of taking Stafford because of the track history for Junior QB's busting. They went on to list names like Couch, Akili Smith, and Alex Smith. Who in those three started all 3 years in a pro style offense? Heck how many of "bust" junior qbs outside of those three can say that?

SINCE1978
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
I guess it's kinda like Willis a few years ago. I wanted him in detroit, but we were just too high pick-wise to make that selection viable.

I agree ... They got Ernie and have failed to give him the support until the Peterson trade just this off season. Willis was a guy I was high on too for the Lions. Rivers & Mayo as well ... they have missed drafting premiere LB's to complement Ernie (Dizon ... really?) and this is the year. If it is not Curry #1 (probably my #2 scenario) they need to grab a solid MLB ... Maualuga, Laurinitus, Beckwith or Brinkley would work great. Pretty deep this year at this position and Maualuga is my pick @ #20 if he is there. Rey, we would love for you to run our defense for the next 10 years brotha!!!

cotts1
04-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I won't be upset with Curry or Stafford. Whomever they pick, should tell a tale of the Lions draft plans. If they go Stafford, i see the lions trading back, accumulating picks and building an overall foundation for 2-3 years from now. If they go Curry, i think they will mainly stand pat and take the BA defensive players that fall to them. Try and fix the defense as much as possible and try and win some games this year. That might sound crazy, but our offense should be atleast average. If they can fix this defense we could win some games. Maybe 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 at best. Would be a great sign though if they did, work on changing the losing culture. We'll find out soon enough.

5 Fingers of Death
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Drafting Curry is about winning games in the short run. Drafting Stafford means winning games in the long run.

I would rather go 4-16 with Stafford and have a chance to go to the playoffs then go 6-16 with Curry then draft a spread offense quarterback like Bradford and never have a chance to go the playoffs, AKA Alex Smith + Patrick Willis.

P-L
04-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Drafting Curry is about winning games in the short run. Drafting Stafford means winning games in the long run.

I would rather go 4-16 with Stafford and have a chance to go to the playoffs then go 6-16 with Curry then draft a spread offense quarterback like Bradford and never have a chance to go the playoffs, AKA Alex Smith + Patrick Willis.
I think Stafford and Herzlich or Spikes is better than Curry and Bradford or McCoy. Everyone in the local media wants to wait until next year to get a quarterback, but I prefer Herzlich and Spikes to Curry as far as middle linebackers goes.

We take Curry this year, and Bradford next year
2009: 5-11
2010: 6-10
2011: 8-8
2012: 10-6

We take Stafford this year, and Spikes/Herzlich next year
2009: 4-12
2010: 7-9
2011: 10-6
2012: 12-4

Obviously this is assuming that none of the 1st Rounders bust (which is a big assumption) and we do make upgrades to both lines. But I agree with you. Curry is a win this year pick and Stafford is a win in the long-term pick.

5 Fingers of Death
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
The most interesting thing is how many pro-Curry Lins fans are so fearful of drafting a quarterback. Some fans saying we don't have any offensive weapons, but we do have Calvin and Kevin Smith. We have draft picks this year to pick up someone like William Beatty or Eric Wood to improve our offensive line.

The biggest thing pro-Curry fans fail to recognize is how good Stafford is. He's a very special talent. I saw it right away. He looked like an NFL quarterack right in college.

P-L
04-23-2009, 11:59 AM
The Aaron Curry love fest came out of no where. Prior to mini camp everyone and their mother wanted Jason Smith. Then suddenly Curry's agent shows up at mini camp and the following Monday everyone wants Curry? I think people are just grasping at anything to avoid a quarterback.

Addict
04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
The Aaron Curry love fest came out of no where. Prior to mini camp everyone and their mother wanted Jason Smith. Then suddenly Curry's agent shows up at mini camp and the following Monday everyone wants Curry? I think people are just grasping at anything to avoid a quarterback.

as long as FO isn't avoiding Stafford, I could care less about what the fans are doing.

cotts1
04-23-2009, 06:15 PM
One thing is certain and that's taking a LB first overall is generally not a good idea. We would be forced to pay 50 million plus to a position that could be adequately filled by spending 5-10 million. In addition, if we took Curry we would still have to eventually sign a long-term deal (40-50 mill plus)with a QB and a LT. All these big contracts would really hurt our future cap situation. It's wise to save money where you can. Everyone knows you gotta pay big bucks for a good QB but the same isn't true for linebackers. How many linebackers in the NFL make 50 million plus? zero. How many linebackers have been taken first overall in the history of the draft? 2......