PDA

View Full Version : Scott's Draft Board is ranked #4 from the last 3 years

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/top100rankings.shtml

Some pretty good company here:

*Note: These scores are the draft boards from the last 3 years compiled into one average*
1. Rick Gosselin 86.7
2. The Huddle report 85.3
3. Pro Football Weekly 84.0
4. Draft Countdown 82.7
5. Draft Ace 82.3

*Other notables*

13. Mel Kiper Jr 79.7

Top Draft Boards for 2008:
1. LionBacker 90
2. Gil Brandt 88
3. Rick Gosselin 87
3. The Huddle Report 87
5. Pro Football Weekly 86
6. Draft Countdown 85

*Notables*

19. Scouts Inc. 81
22. Mel Kiper Jr 80
32. Scout.com 77

They also hand out scores and grades for the 07 Draft Boards and 06 Draft Boards, not sure how accurate this site is for grading these scores, but I thought it was interesting regardless, it's was also free.

Scott's done a great job making a name for himself and being ranked higher then sites who have multiple scouts working year round for their results.

coordinator0
04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
These don't really surprise me, but kudos to Scott for being so good at what he does. Gosselin at #1 kind of intrigues me though.

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm just curious, how are the numbers that make up these rankings arrived at. The number one guy is an 86.7 and not an 87 or an 86, why? Anybody know?

coordinator0
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm just curious, how are the numbers that make up these rankings arrived at. The number one guy is an 86.7 and not an 87 or an 86, why? Anybody know?

It's an average form the past three years, so it's usually not going to be a whole number.

I see how they did it:

Boards are scored by the number of top 100 prospects actually picked in the first 100 picks of Draft

the decider13
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM

I think it might be accuracy? Not sure, that's all I can think of that would make it something like 86.7

PossibleCabbage
04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
It's an average form the past three years, so it's usually not going to be a whole number.

I see how they did it:

Boards are scored by the number of top 100 prospects actually picked in the first 100 picks of Draft

Ah, that makes sense, and also explains why the numbers for individual years are all integers, but the 3 year number is not (it's an average).

I wonder what the methodology for grabbing the mock drafts for consideration are. Ones that are published the morning of the draft are likely going to be more accurate than ones that were published 2 weeks earlier.

Speaking of which, is Scott going to do one more mock?

Halsey
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Meh, It's more important that these guys give quality, interesting information and be highly knowledgeable than being super accurate with how players will turn out in the long run. There's too many variables to expect anyone to know how every player will turn out in the long run. Things like injuries, quality of the organization the player goes to, legal issues, how a player will react to getting paid, etc make it so hard to expect anyone to get all their predictions right.

Larry121283
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see some statistical analysis done that judges how well the draft sites/gurus actually evaluate the talent.

Picking the 80-something out of the top 100 or having 9 out of 32 right in a mock draft, IMO, is useless.

Finding out who evaluates well, now that is the guy I like to follow.

It is one of the reasons I respect Scott, because he at least has all of his rankings and mocks archived for the world to see. I wish he'd keep around his scouting reports, but I understand that becomes server heavy.

Plus, when he gets a big head, its always good to bring him down to earth with Michael Bennett + LaMont Jordan > LaDainian Tomlinson

Splat
04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
It is a wonder he has time to put together such a good board with his love affair with Saved By The Bell taking up most of his time.:)

I believe I've seen every episode of Saved By the Bell at least three times.

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Speaking of which, is Scott going to do one more mock?

You bet!

As always I will have it posted either late Friday or early Saturday.

derza222
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
For what it's worth, aren't Scott's rankings more personal opinion of how good he feels prospects are and his mocks are what he thinks will happen? I don't know if it would make much of a different, but I don't think he makes his top 100 prospects to try and actually have that contain the top 100 prospects in the draft.

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 02:54 PM
It is one of the reasons I respect Scott, because he at least has all of his rankings and mocks archived for the world to see. I wish he'd keep around his scouting reports, but I understand that becomes server heavy.

Plus, when he gets a big head, its always good to bring him down to earth with Michael Bennett + LaMont Jordan > LaDainian Tomlinson

I definitely have my fair share of hits and misses just like everyone else but I've never been afraid to put my record out there.

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
For what it's worth, aren't Scott's rankings more personal opinion of how good he feels prospects are and his mocks are what he thinks will happen? I don't know if it would make much of a different, but I don't think he makes his top 100 prospects to try and actually have that contain the top 100 prospects in the draft.

That is correct!

My mock draft is for what I think will happen.

My rankings are how I personally have my board stacked.

Larry121283
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I definitely have my fair share of hits and misses just like everyone else but I've never been afraid to put my record out there.

And that's why I like ya...

shake and bake.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Scott, are you updating your rankings before the draft?

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
JORDYZ-JDB-SORGIZZZ=scott creation

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Scott, are you updating your rankings before the draft?

There is the mother of all ranking updates coming! I am working on them today actually. Look for that to be up by tomorrow morning.

Flyboy
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think anyone is surprised.

NFLDC & Mr. Wright is the ****.

eaglesalltheway
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM

I see how they did it:

They Screwed Up Scotts Average. It says 85, 86, and 87, so wouldn't that make his average 86, good enough for second?

Scott got jipped! Lets go bust some heads!

LonghornsLegend
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
They Screwed Up Scotts Average. It says 85, 86, and 87, so wouldn't that make his average 86, good enough for second?

In 2006 he scored a 77, not 87, that was the only reason he wasn't up near #1.

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Hmm, somebody should e-mail them and check on that...

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 04:45 PM

it says 77 not 87

Todd Bertuzzi
04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
There is the mother of all ranking updates coming! I am working on them today actually. Look for that to be up by tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to seeing these major changes you keep speaking of. Appreciate all the hard work Scott.

stephenson86
04-22-2009, 05:06 PM
please drop maybin down

eaglesalltheway
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
In 2006 he scored a 77, not 87, that was the only reason he wasn't up near #1.

Reading Fail... Hooray!

Still, lets defend Scott's honor like we would if we were hillbillies defending our sister!

MooshooGawd
04-22-2009, 10:57 PM
We need to get Scott on TV. I've never heard him talk, but he's got to be less annoying than McShay.

Scott Wright
04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
We need to get Scott on TV. I've never heard him talk, but he's got to be less annoying than McShay.

Check out the podcasts!

I've been told I have a voice that could make a wolverine purr... :)

drowe
04-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Scott,
Maybe I'm just paying closer attention this year, but this seems like it's been a big year for you, publicity wise. seems the last few years, radio appearances were a rare occurance. now i've heard you on my local station multiple times. and you've mentioned they've been keeping you very busy.

confirm/deny the big year?

well deserved.

Halsey
04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Scott is indeed a good speaker with a good voice. Most of the people I've heard that do Draft podcasts sound more like fans who call into radio shows than the professionals that get paid. Scott sounds just as good or better than pros you hear on ESPN Radio, Fox Sports radio, etc. I keep half expecting Scott to tell us he's been offered a contract to make appearances on ESPN radio or something.

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Scott,
Maybe I'm just paying closer attention this year, but this seems like it's been a big year for you, publicity wise. seems the last few years, radio appearances were a rare occurance. now i've heard you on my local station multiple times. and you've mentioned they've been keeping you very busy.

confirm/deny the big year?

well deserved.

Last year Scott and the site really began getting more publicity. It was the first year I remember seeing his name in the newspaper and most of those are AP reports, so they are across the country. This year does seem bigger. One day I hope to see scott on TV, I haven't heard his voice yet, so i'll have to pay attention to the podcasts. Hopefully, if you keep this momentum going Scott, you will be even more prominent in the Draft circles than you are now.

bored of education
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I am briging more hype to Scott's website. Every time I see a prospect out i the streets or at games I tell them to check out Scott's website. I got connections and Scott I would like a royalty check sometime, thanks. :D

From what I recall Scott turned down offers to be on First Take? I might be lying though.