PDA

View Full Version : Lions want to pay Stafford $80 million with about $40 million guaranteed?

D-Unit
04-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Written by NFL Draft Bible
Wednesday, 22 April 2009 10:25

William Clay Ford has signed off on the Detroit Lions drafting QB Matthew Stafford of Georgia with the number one overall pick, the NFL Draft Bible has learned. With the contract looking to be worth around a total of $80 million with about $40 million guaranteed, the Lions front office wanted to make sure they got the blessing of the owner on all accounts and they have. Look for the Lions to draft QB Matthew Stafford with the # 1 overall pick this Saturday.

Crazy, crazy money.

Addict
04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Draft bible has been full of crap so far. So I'm not buying this quite yet.

A Perfect Score
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Its a smoke screen! They want someone to trade up for Stafford!

D-Unit
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Draft bible has been full of crap so far. So I'm not buying this quite yet.
I havent' been following... What'd they miss on?

Splat
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Lions Have Their Best Offer On The Table For Stafford (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/lions-have-their-best-offer-on-the-table-for-stafford/)

Their not saying done deal but this is take it or leave it they won't go higher ball is in your court Matty.

Splat
04-22-2009, 07:59 PM

There the site that come out saying all those players failed their drug test which was not the case at all.

A Perfect Score
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Lions Have Their Best Offer On The Table For Stafford (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/lions-have-their-best-offer-on-the-table-for-stafford/)

Their not saying done deal but this is take it or leave it thye won't go higher ball is in your court Matty.

Balls in his court? Hes like 23 and he just got handed FORTY MILLION DOLLARS? really, at this point, what is there to think about? If he doesnt take it, hes a ******* moron

Addict
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM

tbh, it's almost 4 AM, I'm dead tired and I can't recall if it was Draft Bible or some other site.

I think it was the Matthews-Cushing roids reports. I think. Then again I could be mistaking them for some other site, I forget.

Babylon
04-22-2009, 08:01 PM

They broke the story on Matthews and Cushing being on roids, to later be proven bogus. The funniest line i saw on another site was "Matthews and Cushing soon to be the new owners of Draftbible".

D-Unit
04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
There the site that come out saying all those players failed their drug test which was not the case at all.
Wasn't that Sports Illustrated? Draft Bible might've reported it was SI though.

Addict
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Balls in his court? Hes like 23 and he just got handed FORTY MILLION DOLLARS? really, at this point, what is there to think about? If he doesnt take it, hes a ******* moron

born February 7th 1988... damn. Just barely 21 years old.

A Perfect Score
04-22-2009, 08:03 PM
born February 7th 1988... damn. Just barely 21 years old.

Hes less then a full year older then me (im January '89), and he just got handed 40 million dollars...and I puked in a bath tub last night. Wonderful.

Smokey Joe
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Would this be the largest of all time?

MURPHMAN
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Um....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/curry-lions-have-deal-in-place/

LOL. The Lions are keeping everyone guessing this year. Which means they are doing their job right.

bored of education
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
MVP! MVP!

Stafford is going to be such a stud. You all can line up to eat one when he is a stud. Holler!

Babylon
04-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Would this be the largest of all time?

Seems like they keep getting bigger, Russell was like 60 mil., Matt Ryan i think around 72 with 40 guaranteed, (correct me if i'm wrong). Maybe Ford should pay him in stock.

Addict
04-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Hes less then a full year older then me (im January '89), and he just got handed 40 million dollars...and I puked in a bath tub last night. Wonderful.

hey don't feel bad. He's 16 months younger than I am. I played Medieval II: Kingdoms mods all day long, the only breaks I took was to surf the internet or eat.

My current bank balance is 0,54 (let's be royal and say 1 USD). I'm going to throw myself off a building now.

TitanHope
04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Their not saying done deal but this is take it or leave it they won't go higher ball is in your court Matty.

Bless your heart, Splat...

P-L
04-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Russell got 6/$61/$32
Ryan got 6/$72/$35

6/80 is about right considering how rookie contracts have gone up this year. $40 million is probably a bit on the high side ($38 makes more sense). Rookie contracts are absurd these days.

However, I think Stafford's contract might be a little less than than 6/$80/$40 because they already agreed to a deal with Curry so they have a lot of leverage. Not to mention Stafford could possibly fall to four if the Lions don't take him.

Splat
04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Bless your heart, Splat...

READ my location on the left!!!!!

Good day sir.

:)

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2009, 08:22 PM
It's going to be impossible to judge the contract until we know which part of the guaranteed cash is "likely to be earned" and which is "unlikely to be earned". As I recall, only about $26 million of Russell's and only about $29 million of Ryan's guaranteed cash was LTBE. If Stafford's LTBE cash will almost certainly fall somewhere under $35 million and of course the 80 million figure means nothing.

So, yes, it's crazy money, but most of it is imaginary.

Smokey Joe
04-22-2009, 08:27 PM
I just hope we get a rookie cap in hopefully the new CBA. Its bogus, IMO, that some NFL vets who have proven to be good players get paid 1/8 of what a guy who has never played a snap in the NFL gets.

Babylon
04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
I just hope we get a rookie cap in hopefully the new CBA. Its bogus, IMO, that some NFL vets who have proven to be good players get paid 1/8 of what a guy who has never played a snap in the NFL gets.

It's just too much money period. Some poor slob in Detroit has probably had to tell the old lady he's losing his job and then has to hear on TV that he's overpaid by some politican that never turned a wrench in his life.

Splat
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM

If I had to make a list of things I don't like about the game the money rookies make would go straight to the top a rookie walking in to the NFL being the highest payed player at his position is a joke.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Let's be clear though. JaMarcus Russell doesn't make over 1 million in base salary until 2012 and re-negotiated his contract to re-disburse his 19.9 million bonus this year. His yearly cap figure isn't anywhere close to the guys who have earned 10 million a year contracts.

The numbers are big, but most of them never actually get paid.

Smokey Joe
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Let's be clear though. JaMarcus Russell doesn't make over 1 million in base salary until 2012 and re-negotiated his contract to re-disburse his 19.9 million bonus this year. His yearly cap figure isn't anywhere close to the guys who have earned 10 million a year contracts.

The numbers are big, but most of them never actually get paid.
20-40+ million guaranteed... they get paid.

Donno
04-22-2009, 08:44 PM
This whole draft is a conspiracy

TitanHope
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
READ my location on the left!!!!!

Good day sir.

:)

Lol, I didn't mean nothin' by it! Which is why I said, "Bless your heart." I'm from the South - you can say anything you want as long as you end it with, "Bless it's heart!" :D

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-22-2009, 09:05 PM
It's going to be impossible to judge the contract until we know which part of the guaranteed cash is "likely to be earned" and which is "unlikely to be earned". As I recall, only about $26 million of Russell's and only about $29 million of Ryan's guaranteed cash was LTBE. If Stafford's LTBE cash will almost certainly fall somewhere under $35 million and of course the 80 million figure means nothing.

So, yes, it's crazy money, but most of it is imaginary.

Isn't all guaranteed money earned no matter what, hence the "guarantee"?

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Isn't all guaranteed money earned no matter what, hence the "guarantee"?

No. It isn't.

The LTBE and UTBE are official terms in NFL contracts, and they both constitute what makes up "guaranteed" money. This is money that isn't paid on a per-game basis, but is instead either totally guaranteed or guaranteed pending certain achievements. Basically, that makes a sizeable chunk of these contract performance bonuses (often referred to as contract accelerators), but it's always printed under the overarching term "guaranteed money", usually at the request of the agent, because that earns them exposure.

Scott Wright
04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Wasn't that Sports Illustrated? Draft Bible might've reported it was SI though.

SI.com reported Raji.

Draft Bible reported Matthews, Cushing, Davis, etc.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
No. It isn't.

The LTBE and UTBE are official terms in NFL contracts, and they both constitute what makes up "guaranteed" money. This is money that isn't paid on a per-game basis, but is instead either totally guaranteed or guaranteed pending certain achievements. Basically, that makes a sizeable chunk of these contract performance bonuses (often referred to as contract accelerators), but it's always printed under the overarching term "guaranteed money", usually at the request of the agent, because that earns them exposure.

Right but knowing how much is LTBE or how much is UTBE is irrelevant I think if it's actaully likely or not likely to be earned. If the feat was achieved in the previous season by the player or it is a special teams incentive, it is LTBE. If it isn't, it's UTBE.

Hence, for Stafford, all of the bonus will be UTBE. Why? Because he didn't accomplish anything last season. We will need to see the actual specifics of each incentive to determine how likely it is to be earned.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Hence, for Stafford, all of the bonus will be UTBE. Why? Because he didn't accomplish anything last season. We will need to see the actual specifics of each incentive to determine how likely it is to be earned.

That's true. I was just making the point that even if he signs for 40 million dollars guaranteed, a good chunk of that, probably 6-7 million, isn't really guaranteed.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
That's true. I was just making the point that even if he signs for 40 million dollars guaranteed, a good chunk of that, probably 6-7 million, isn't really guaranteed.

True, we always see these huge numbers in NFL contracts but they rarely actually get paid all of it, contrary to the NBA.

Matthew Stafford
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I would like them to sign me for a 6 year $60 million dollar deal.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I would like them to sign me for a 6 year $60 million dollar deal.

A lot of rep for 3 posts, imagine if your name was Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.