PDA

View Full Version : McGahee Traded to Ravens

gonzo1105
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Sirius Radio just reported that the Bills and Ravens have completed a deal that ships McGahee to the Ravens for 2007 2nd round pick and 2008 6th round pick. No link is available due to it being on Radio but once there is one I will edit.

slightlyaraiderfan
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
um I hope this doesn't turn out like those other threads I locked that turned out to be completely un-true.

bills_red
03-07-2007, 05:48 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I am hearing 3rd and 5th rounders.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Fantastic deal, on both ends. The Bills need more picks to complete their retooling of the roster. Meanwhile the Ravens wouldn't be able to sufficiently address the RB position either in the draft, or in any remaining free agents.

21ST
03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Man, i gotta make a different mock draft every day

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow Mcgahee with Poppa Ray on his back is gonna blow up.

Smokey Joe
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Good deal for both teams... Now if this does happen, Marshawn Lynch would most likely go to Buffalo at 12 right?

bills_red
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Good deal for both teams... Now if this does happen, Marshawn Lynch would most likely go to Buffalo at 12 right?

??? We will bring in DR(colts) C.Brown(titans) and C.Dillon(pats)

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
wo I think that is upgrade

gonzo1105
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Dont know yet....The Bills could sign either Brown or Dillon both visiting and draft a later RB or in the case of Dillon if signed gets replaced by Lynch in a year or two and they split carries. I think Buffalo is lookin at all options, I think the Bills love Okoye but aren't sure if he is gonna be there.

neko4
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM

im waiting till mid-april to make another

gonzo1105
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
??? We brought in DR(colts) C.Brown(titans) and C.Dillon(pats) in the last 2 days. And C.B cancled his vist to the Lions. So right now I have no clue

Chris Brown cancelled his visit to the Lions because he didn't make the Buffalo trip today and will be in tomorrow with Dillon. He had some problems with a flight or something.

bills_red
03-07-2007, 06:02 PM
im waiting till mid-april to make another
That's a good idea

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
If it's true, it's a smart move for both sides. Ravens needed a runner, and Willis could do well in that scheme. Everyone knew that the Bills were going to part with Willis at some point, so there was no point of delaying a deal in an effort to maximize drafting power. Now, it'll come down to a game of who wants Lynch more ... will a team slide ahead of the Bills? Because I'll be stunned right now if the Bills don't go RB in the first if the value is there ... Dominic Rhodes is nice, but not a long term solution, and Chris Brown has too many flags. Dillon's just too old.

Of course ... I guess it's possible the Bills try to swing a trade for a young RB ... which would change the dynamics. But the betting money here is probably still with them looking for a RB in the draft.

bills_red
03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Chris Brown cancelled his visit to the Lions because he didn't make the Buffalo trip today and will be in tomorrow with Dillon. He had some problems with a flight or something.

oh okay. Thanks man I thought Marv offered him a contract he love and they were just working out some little things.

Zim3031
03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I can only hope that this is true. It's unbelievable how badly Willis rips apart the Jets everytime he plays them, only to have a mediocre season and never go over 100 yards in any other game that season. Getting someone like Lynch may be more productive over the long run, but I doubt that he would replicate Willis' biannual annihilation of the Jets defense.

Rob S
03-07-2007, 06:08 PM
ghetto, where did u hear 3rd?

The Dynasty
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Would work out for both teams.

Wonder what his number will be though

WMD
03-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Tatum Bell.. The Bills are definately going to trade for Tatum Bell.

Go_Eagles77
03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Would work out for both teams.

Wonder what his number will be though

Everyone loves a good number controversy.

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
anythingbut 21 C-mac earned it and is older and more expierence with the team

YouNeverKnow
03-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I really hope that it is a 3rd not a 2nd since its going to cost a lot to sign McGahee to an extension when we could pick up a decent RB in the 2nd round for a whole lot cheaper.

Craigo
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Everyone loves a good number controversy.Haha... I don't know why thats so funny.
That gets you a reputation point.

draftguru151
03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I was hoping for the Broncos but I like the Ravens as well so it's ok. Willis is gonna look good in purple and black.

ccB
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I hope this is true.

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
pft reports a 2nd and a 5th...

also 20mil guarenteed

but then again its pft soo take that woth a grain of salt

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 06:43 PM
a Link please

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
It's on PFT for sure.

bills_red
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
a Link please

He said he heard it on the Sirius Radio. So no link

mikehop05
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
POSTED 7:18 p.m. EST; UPDATED 7:26 p.m. EST, March 7, 2007

McGAHEE TO RAVENS TONIGHT OR TOMORROW?

A league source tells us that there's a good chance that the Buffalo Bill will trade running back Willis McGahee to the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday night or Thursday.

Per the source, there are a couple of other teams still in the hunt for McGahee. As of now, however, the Ravens are at the front of the pack.

Also, a reader tells us that there are reports on Sirius NFL Radio that such a trade would entail Baltimore sending a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick to Buffalo.

If the trade happens, Ravens likely will be signing McGahee to a long-term deal. Based on recent contracts, McGahee could get $20 million in guaranteed money. (Ray Lewis will be thrilled with that.)

Meanwhile, the Bills are looking for McGahee's eventual replacement. Chris Brown visited Buffalo on Wednesday, and Corey Dillon is up next.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
thank u I hope we get a extension or I will view it as a wasted pick.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
thank u I hope we get a extension or I will view it as a wasted pick.

It's definitely contingent on an extension, I would think.

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
yea it would be a dumb move anyway becaue could get a franchise RB like Hunt or Irons with that 2nd.

comahan
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I definitely do not consider Hunt or Irons as franchise caliber backs. I would take Willis over them anyday.

Acreboy
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
What's wrong with McGahee to make them want to trade him?

ccB
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
I definitely do not consider Hunt or Irons as franchise caliber backs. I would take Willis over them anyday.

Exactly. I think McGahee is better than any back we coudl have gotten in the 2nd round. Hes still young enough also that its not like we are trading all this away for someone whose ran into the ground already.

princefielder28
03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
If true, the Bills probably got as good of value as they were going to get so good move, but I don't know where Baltimore is going to get the money to sign him long term

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Exactly. I think McGahee is better than any back we coudl have gotten in the 2nd round. Hes still young enough also that its not like we are trading all this away for someone whose ran into the ground already.

What I really should have said is backs that we could get 5 years out of not 1 like Willis.

jackalope
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
i just hope they don't take Lynch.

lod01
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
What's wrong with McGahee to make them want to trade him?

He doesn't want to play in Buffalo. Also, he didn't know the plays when he was on the field. A coach had to relay the play just to him because he had no clue when it was called in the huddle. Most likely because he didn't care to be there. THe rest of the team wanted him gone.

BuffaloDraftGeek
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

A 2nd rounder + for mcgahee! Ravens got ripped off...

Scotty D
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bitter much?

Smooth Criminal
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Very good deal for the Ravens. He is definately an upgrade over what they had last year. Plus a 2nd rounder isn't to much to pay for this guy as he is pretty young still.

Freddy G
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Damn, that would have been a hell of a deal for the browns. Instead we get the cast off (Jamal Lewis). Typical.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm ecstatic about this trade. He's definitely better than anything we would've gotten in the 2nd and is a proven commodity. The guy underachieved in Buff, but I'm confident that will be chalked up to him just not liking to play in a small market, cold weather fan base. Baltimore will allow him to be more in the lime light and play with guys from the U he looks up to like Reed and Ray Lewis who will hopefully motivate him. If nothing else he's got tons of talent.

rocco31fb
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
If this is true, it's a great trade. McGahee would not get the money he wanted after this year in Buffalo. Getting a 2nd Rd pick plus a 5th or 6th is very good value. Maybe the Bills can package a 1st and 2nd to get AD?? INteresting.

hugegmenfan
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
great trade for the ravens- i do not understand why the bills r trying to trade him. yes he isnt really happy there but do they think they r goin to go lynch 1st round or try irons or bush 2nd or something i dk

BuffaloDraftGeek
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
great trade for the ravens- i do not understand why the bills r trying to trade him. yes he isnt really happy there but do they think they r goin to go lynch 1st round or try irons or bush 2nd or something i dk

I don't know. He only didn't know the playbook, said the team should be moved, dissed the fans, alienated his team mates, "forgot" it was 4th down a critical play, and ran without effort in most games. Pick one.

Billingsley26
03-07-2007, 08:52 PM
good move on the Bills behalf. Willis was a cancer within the Bills organization and he needed to leave. He wasnt happy and neither werre th Bills with him. Personally I like the way Marv is building this team. He is building it with class and character. That will win you much more games than attitude will. And it showed as the season went along. Buffalo isnt losing alot out of this deal, they lost about 900 yards and 4 td's i believe, so no biggy, that production can be replaced by a back up easily. I hope Buffalo gets another 2nd round pick, however its probably for a 3rd. either way this benefits the Bills more so than the Ravens! The Ravens just pick up another player to whom they can keep talking about to scare off opponents...now with the "self proclaimed" best RB in the league.

rocco31fb
03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
It's a good move, but their backup or now starter, is Shaud Williams....ugh. Corey Dillon is coming in tomorrow.

DWhitner20
03-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Chris Brown, BuffaloBills.com Lead Journalist is hinting at a possible bidding war:

LEWIS SIGNS W/BROWNS: With Jamal Lewis signing what is reportedly a one-year deal with Cleveland the Ravens have the door wide open for another back. Hopefully this compels Baltimore to give up what's being requested for a certain back's services before they miss out.

Interesting...

cunningham06
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Excellent signing for the Ravens. Hopefully they can fix up their offensive line in the draft. I've wanted to see what McGahee can do behind a capable offensive line for some time now.

Vikes99ej
03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Good deal for the Ravens. He's still young. There offense is already improved.

SuperMcGee
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not really, but we got as best we could if this is true.

defensiveback23
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
There was a rumor I heard on the San Diego station 1090 that if McGahee was traded the Bills would become very interested in Michael Turner. Take it for what it's worth.

remix 6
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
There was a rumor I heard on the San Diego station 1090 that if McGahee was traded the Bills would become very interested in Michael Turner. Take it for what it's worth.

bills would trade 12th pick and 3rd rounder for Turner? Hmm

bills_red
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM

I will never like the Bills every agin if they do that.

Yung Flippa
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I Think That Even If We Give Up Our Second
It Is Still A Good Trade
Our Low Second is Basically a High Third
Now That Willis Is Here
Super Bowl Here We Come!!!

JoeMontainya
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
IMO McGahee will get crushed in our division. Cant block, catch and is a cancer.

That being said, hes a good player and congrats.

SuperMcGee
03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
IMO McGahee will get crushed in our division. Cant block, catch and is a cancer.

Can't block or catch? Doesn't sound like Willis

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Weren't you the browns fan saying that the browns were going to get him?

myinnerself
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Remember, if the Bills offer him a bigger deal and he signs with them the Chargers get a 1st and a 3rd, but they could also just work out a trade, which could be anything they agree on. So if the Bills offer just their 1st for Turner that could be agreed upon, not that they would, especially since it's the 12th pick, but just saying.

bills_red
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Weren't you the browns fan saying that the browns were going to get him?

Yes he was.

He wanted Nate Clements and thought he was great but now says he sucks. Well he prob. thinks that now.

ccB
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Yes he was.

He wanted Nate Clements and thought he was great but now says he sucks. Well he prob. thinks that now.

Yup he is what one would call a "Hater"

ks_perfection
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
This year we'll find out if McGahee can't even get 4 yac because Buffalo's Oline was horrid or because he actually sucks.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
The Browns fans are interested, the organization hasnt said anything yet. But it is an option im sure they look into. I think Phil will keep quiet about the trade until the draft so he doesnt tip his hat.
Pretty much. Apparently Phil didn't 'tip his hat' that he was actually going after Jamal.

WooWoo21
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
This year we'll find out if McGahee can't even get 4 yac because Buffalo's Oline was horrid or because he actually sucks.

I read an article a little while ago about Willis that made sense. The author wrote that he had heard what everyone was saying about the Bills O-line, but that elite backs (like Willis always says he is) are able to overcome obstacles and make their team better. Willis has not contributed anything special to the Bills offense in over two years, and last year he was horrid. Our O-Line play as a whole has been mediocre for the majority of time that Willis has been here, but he had his shot this year as our line has been developing nicely. Im sure Raven's fans are excited because Willis is a big name, but believe me you will feel like your watching re-runs of dancing with the stars watching him trying to pick his lanes.

jkb528
03-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I think Buffalo got a very good deal here, if this is indeed true, since I havent seen any really credible sources. Two years ago Edgerin James and Shaun Alexander were both available for second round picks, and now Buffalo gets a second rounder AND change for McGahee, a much LESS proven back with character concerns. Maybe Buffalo trades up to 5 now and takes Peterson if he falls past Cleveland, and Arizona can take Levi Brown and stockpile some more picks...

ccB
03-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Willis, according to John Clayton, can be had for a third rd. selecton. The Bills have brought in Dominic Rhodes and Chris Brown, plummeting willy's value. I'd make this trade in a heart beat.

Why not get him for that? Its a contract year so he will play great, exspecially since our OL is allready better than Buffalos of last year.

With McGahee our draft could be....

RD1 - Brady Quinn QB
RD2 - Tank Tyler NT
RD4 - manny Ramirez

This team could have some serious weapons. At least Quinn wont be affraid to throw to a big target in JJ like Frye is. Quinn also doesnt have a history of staring down his WR.

Willis, according to John Clayton, can be had for a third rd. selecton. The Bills have brought in Dominic Rhodes and Chris Brown, plummeting willy's value. I'd make this trade in a heart beat.

Would you guys be willing to trade him for a 3rd round pick (early third if its from the Browns)?

I agree McGahee is worth more than a 3rd. I just got caught up in what Clayton reported and was wondering how factual it might be.

We are having a visit with Jamal Lewis now. But for a third RD pick, I would take McGahee is a second. He will have a very good year since it is a contract year.

So with all this said by you. Why would you go on to say this...

Dude looks like you need to get your story straight huh? Seems like someones a little bitter they didnt get they player they wanted in a trade so now he sucks. Question why would he have been good on the Browns but not the Ravens? With all the defenses in our division that are going to "Crush" him one would think being on the team with the BEST DEFENSE IN THE DIVISION would help him from being "Crushed" so much. Dude you are a joke plain and simple. You seriously are the biggest flip flopper ive ever seen in this forum.

TCU
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM

thats why you got to love the offseason free agency and trade market, it shakes things up every day.

Rob S
03-08-2007, 12:31 AM
So with all this said by you. Why would you go on to say this...

Dude looks like you need to get your story straight huh? Seems like someones a little bitter they didnt get they player they wanted in a trade so now he sucks. Question why would he have been good on the Browns but not the Ravens? With all the defenses in our division that are going to "Crush" him one would think being on the team with the BEST DEFENSE IN THE DIVISION would help him from being "Crushed" so much. Dude you are a joke plain and simple. You seriously are the biggest flip flopper ive ever seen in this forum.

That is some 1st class ownage CCB.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:05 AM
i still dont think this means they take lynch, there will be a ton of great talent left especially on the defensive side. i see them bringing in rhodes, they defitnaly retooled that o-line(at a price), and i like rhodes alot

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
What a tragedy this is gonna be if we trade for him, this ruins my whole offseason right here. Look for Willis if he is traded here to sign an extension and then hold out next offseason when Drew Rosenhaus fills his head with talk of being paid Shaun Alexander money :(.

Caddy
03-08-2007, 01:15 AM
McGahee to the Ravens works out well for both teams. Both get what they wanted and can now explore new options in the draft.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 04:39 AM
I like the deal if its a 2nd and a 5th. The Ravens cut Edwin Mulitalo, so they are obviously making cap room to sign Willis to an extension.

TNewFan41
03-08-2007, 05:46 AM
It official or not?

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 05:58 AM
It official or not?

It will be most likely later today.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 06:00 AM

WOW. That would be AMAZING, IMO. Me and Rob actually did that in the second forum mock. I absolutely love Turner and I hope it happens.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-08-2007, 06:47 AM
nice CCB, I doubt that kid will be back in this forum. Anyway, I like Willis just because he is an improvment over Jamal. He is not the best RB in the NFL like he says he is but he would be nice on our team and i expect good #'s out of him. 1,200,-1,300 yards. or even more. I still think we could have gotten Micheal Turner for our 2nd round pick instead of Willis.

evershot
03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Has this been confirmed? I've been listening all day yesterday and it was never confirmed by any media source.

portermvp84
03-08-2007, 09:52 AM
That would be so sick if that happened. If they got him their offense will have a SB caliber offense.

cordscords
03-08-2007, 11:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791831

It's official.

YouNeverKnow
03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Two 3rd round picks and a 7th rounder. I like that we picked up McGahee but I think we overpaid for him in the long run with both picks and the contract he will require. I'm more concerned about how much he is going to cost per season.

ccB
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Love this trade. Glad to see we did not give up our second. I think this works out great for us.

gonzo1105
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Geez thought my credibility was goin out the Window here lol. I think its a hell of a deal for Buffalo ...McGahee is nothing but a pain in the butt for the Bills and they got 2 decently high draft picks and a lower rounder when Thomas Jones, who just might be a better back, only was good enough for a swap.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't like McGahee, but this is a coup for the Ravens.

Considering that the 3rd is a late 3rd, and the future 3rd holds the value of a 4th this year, add it all together and it's still much much less than what the Bears got for Thomas Jones, who is arguably an inferior player.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Geez thought my credibility was goin out the Window here lol. I think its a hell of a deal for Buffalo ...McGahee is nothing but a pain in the butt for the Bills and they got 2 decently high draft picks and a lower rounder when Thomas Jones, who just might be a better back, only was good enough for a swap.
The value the Bears got was much higher if you actually understand the value chart.

ds8582
03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
The trade just happened. He was traded for 3 picks

The Legend
03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
3rd Round and 7th Round Next Years 3rd Round its offical

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in next year's draft.

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008, league sources tell ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791831

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't like McGahee, but this is a coup for the Ravens.

Considering that the 3rd is a late 3rd, and the future 3rd holds the value of a 4th this year, add it all together and it's still much much less than what the Bears got for Thomas Jones, who is arguably an inferior player.

You think Thomas Jones is inferior to Willis McGahee? How so? Long term, perhaps. While I like Willis, and while his offensive line had issues in recent years, along with the lack of a passing game, a 3.8 YPC just isn't good. You can say it's passable for the situation, but it's not good. While Willis is a decent receiver and blocker, Thomas is ahead of him in both areas. Sure, long run, there's a chance Willis has better value, say, over 4 years, than Thomas (albeit, I think Thomas can be good for four years). But a counter can be that, for all the wear and tear that Willis is likely to go through due to his running style, his breakdown point might not be on a typical track and bears watching, especially considering past history.

Now, as for the trade, Baltimore clearly win. In the end, they held firm and didn't give up the 2nd rounder. Depending on how you calculate future value (with 1/2 and whole as the top methods), the overall package is somewhere from a mid-late 3rd value. It's not a bad deal for Buffalo, as Willis' flaws and issues wore down his value somewhat, but they still arguably didn't get enough in return. That said, they probably took the best package available, which is probably a strong sign of what teams interested felt about Willis overall. But, even if teams are wary, the fact that Baltimore got Willis for mid-late 3rd value chalks up a slight notch in the win column for them for now.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 12:01 PM
You think Thomas Jones is inferior to Willis McGahee? How so? Long term, perhaps. While I like Willis, and while his offensive line had issues in recent years, along with the lack of a passing game, a 3.8 YPC just isn't good. You can say it's passable for the situation, but it's not good. While Willis is a decent receiver and blocker, Thomas is ahead of him in both areas. Sure, long run, there's a chance Willis has better value, say, over 4 years, than Thomas (albeit, I think Thomas can be good for four years). But a counter can be that, for all the wear and tear that Willis is likely to go through due to his running style, his breakdown point might not be on a typical track and bears watching, especially considering past history.
Mostly for the reasons that you stated. I really liked Jones as a hard-worker etc, but I think he was more a product of the system and the Bears line than vice versa. Hell, Adrian Peterson averaged over 5 yards one year playing. Again, nothing against Jones, but I viewed McGahee's value at least equal to Jones, particularly when considering that Jones was then signed to a deal with 12 million in guarantees with a 5 mil per year average.

hoff04
03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Mcgahee for 3rd and 7th this year and 3rd next

Thought they could get more?

bills_red
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought we would get a 3rd and late R pick

bigbluedefense
03-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I think they gave up too much for McGahee.

3rd this year + a 3rd next year (the 7th is a fart in the wind), thats too much.

Its too much because of the talent coming out next year. Next year's draft is gonna be stacked, in particular at the RB position. RBs are gonna be plentiful next year, a 3rd next year is golden. There will be a lot more talent next year in comparison to this year's draft.

They shouldve just grabbed a RB this year, or signed Dominic Rhodes or something and ran a 2 RB system. I think Buffalo comes out the winner in this trade. Im not a huge fan of McGahees.

Geo
03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm guessing that the 7th round pick is that of the Colts, which the Ravens acquired in exchange for DE Ryan LaCasse, as the Ravens' 7th round pick will go to the Colts for S Gerome Sapp. (Two separate deals.) Michael Smith not mentioning that makes me wonder if he didn't jump the gun in some way again, as he did with Joe Horn to the Falcons.

NFLN/Schefter confirms two 2007 draft picks and a 2008 draft pick, but haven't specified further yet. NFL.com report is up. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10047683)

Edit: Neither the Buffalo Bills' site (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4657) nor the Baltimore Ravens' site (http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=16870) specify any in the way of picks.

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
More than likely, McGahee will get a an extension, and probably one similar, if not greater, than Jones. The Ravens aren't likely to do that deal for a one year rental.

The argument against the system statement would be that, Jones succeeded under two different systems, with Shea, and with Ron Turner. And under Turner, it can be argued that Jones wasn't

a) utilized enough.
b) utilized correctly.

And yet, Jones still produced, and he also had an inconsistent passing game around him.

I actually like McGahee. I'm not trying to bash him, but so far in his career, he's shown a bit of an ego and a lack of production to warrant much love. I think he can still have a great career ... but over his first 3 years, I don't see much to warrant a lot of love for him. Decent back, but only moderately better than, say, what Anthony Thomas did in Chicago early on (not saying they are close in talent, as Willis has far more talent, but potential gets you drafted, productivity gets you the love). Plenty of backs have been in similarly poor situations are were able to put up a respectable YPC and also carry a heavier burden of the team, while establishing themselves as a leader. McGahee has done none of that so far.

blkwdw13
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I think they over paid for him they must of really wanted him.

Bohleive
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I heard it was just this years 3rd and 7th like 5 minutes ago (1:25) on ESPN radio. Take it for what its worth. I wouldn't trust any of statements on picks yet.

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Mcgahee for 3rd and 7th this year and 3rd next

Thought they could get more?

If you can't even get a first rounder for a Edgerin James or a Shawn Alexander, what do you think an average RB like Willis McGahee would fetch?

Fans seem to think other teams will pay a premium for their junk. Only the Raidahs and the Dolphins do that.

bills_red
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I heard it was just this years 3rd and 7th like 5 minutes ago (1:25) on ESPN radio. Take it for what its worth. I wouldn't trust any of statements on picks yet.

"The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008."
From ESPN.com

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
More than likely, McGahee will get a an extension, and probably one similar, if not greater, than Jones. The Ravens aren't likely to do that deal for a one year rental.

The argument against the system statement would be that, Jones succeeded under two different systems, with Shea, and with Ron Turner. And under Turner, it can be argued that Jones wasn't

a) utilized enough.
b) utilized correctly.

And yet, Jones still produced, and he also had an inconsistent passing game around him.

I actually like McGahee. I'm not trying to bash him, but so far in his career, he's shown a bit of an ego and a lack of production to warrant much love. I think he can still have a great career ... but over his first 3 years, I don't see much to warrant a lot of love for him. Decent back, but only moderately better than, say, what Anthony Thomas did in Chicago early on (not saying they are close in talent, as Willis has far more talent, but potential gets you drafted, productivity gets you the love). Plenty of backs have been in similarly poor situations are were able to put up a respectable YPC and also carry a heavier burden of the team, while establishing themselves as a leader. McGahee has done none of that so far.
Jones' success under Shea's system was more of a recieving option as I recall he didn't even crack the 1,000 yard mark (albeit that offense was dogshit so he gets a major pass in that regard).

In terms of potential/productivy vis-a-vis drafted/love, I'm assuming this is by your own barometer as Leonard Davis getting 20 mil guaranteed pretty much debunks that.

Bohleive
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
"The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008."
From ESPN.com
The point is that I've heard conflicting reports, so I wouldn't trust anything yet, but, like I said, take it for what it's worth.

etk
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3296

You're way too late on this one.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3296

You're way too late on this one.

Except the parameters of the deal were way off.

Billingsley26
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
i think the Bills got the best of this deal..they could be in position to trade up now and possibly pick up AP. They have many picks now and would be able to bunch them up to move up. I hope they do...but i also wont be upset if they picked up lynch.

Flyboy
03-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't see the Bills in the position to draft AD -- although, Lynch would be a really good fit there. If all else, they can try to either pick up a FA like Michael Turner, Corey Dillion, Dominic Rhodes, etc. or just draft a RB in the later rounds like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Brandon Jackson, etc.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't see the Bills in the position to draft AD -- although, Lynch would be a really good fit there. If all else, they can try to either pick up a FA like Michael Turner, Corey Dillion, Dominic Rhodes, etc. or just draft a RB in the later rounds like Kenny Irons, Tony Hunt, Brandon Jackson, etc.

By later rounds you mean the 2nd and 3rd round then?

And Brian Leonard will be the best HB out of this class. Look at his natural field vision, his production, his workout numbers (better field runner than both Lynch and Peterson).

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Jones' success under Shea's system was more of a recieving option as I recall he didn't even crack the 1,000 yard mark (albeit that offense was dogshit so he gets a major pass in that regard).

In terms of potential/productivy vis-a-vis drafted/love, I'm assuming this is by your own barometer as Leonard Davis getting 20 mil guaranteed pretty much debunks that.

Yes, it is my own barometer, as it is for everyone, but I'm not referencing money in any way shape or form. I'm referencing productivity as my basis. I don't believe Willis' productivity over his 3 years so far in Buffalo warrants the amount of value/love that Jones received.

Jones had 948 yards rushing over 14 games, and 427 yards receiving. While those certainly weren't elite numbers, I think that can be qualified as having had a successful season, but once again, that is for each to decide.

Flyboy
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM

That would be correct.

dcarey20
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
This is one of the greatest days for me as a Ravens fan. I can't say how happy I am right now. Willis has been one of my favorite players since he was drafted, and it's almost a dream come true that he is on my favorite team. We got an amazing steal as I feel McGahee will be a beast with us.

WELCOME TO BALTIMORE WILLIS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/15/mock_draft/t1_willis_all.jpg

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
That would be correct.

Just making sure, because usually when someone says "later rounds" they mean the later rounds, and not the first day. =P

bills_red
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Jets fans love this trade.....lol

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 01:54 PM

And Brian Leonard will be the best HB out of this class. Look at his natural field vision, his production, his workout numbers (better field runner than both Lynch and Peterson).

Blind homer alert.

Billingsley26
03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
no questions about whether they draft a RB. Im not sure if they try to pick up a back in FA, cuz i think that drafting a RB to split time with Anthony Thomas is solid. Thomas is underrated, and i think that he filled in nicely when mcgahee went down last year. Thomas could start out getting teh bulk of the carries, and as the season goes along they could work the rookie into it. i like the way this team is headed, and i think its in the right direction.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
toonster -

How is the total package worth only a mid-to-late 3rd rounder?

According to the trade value chart, the trade is worth anywhere from the 50th pick overall (18th pick in 2nd Round) to the 68th pick overall (4th pick in the 3rd round).

I like the value we got actually. No matter how you put it, we got 3 draft picks out of it. That's huge for us because we make our draft picks count (6 rookies started out of last year and every one made the 53 man roster).

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Jets fans love this trade.....lol

Yeah we do, McGahee is a Jets' killer, has been since he came to Buffalo.

The only thing better than sending him to Baltimore would have been sending him to Detroit.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Also, watch out for Michael Turner on the Bills radar now.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Blind homer alert.

If Leonard weren't white, he'd be a mid first rounder.

The NFL is more anti White RB than they are anti Black QB.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Also, watch out for Michael Turner on the Bills radar now.

Oh! Trade your first for him please! Please!

Billingsley26
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
can someone plaease explain to me what the exact picks that the Bills got were. Im hearing a 3rd and a 7th for this year and a 3rd for next year. I also heard that the Bills were picking up a 2nd this year. anyone????

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Oh! Trade your first for him please! Please!

What do you mean by this?

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Well we wasted a 3rd and 7th this year, and a 3rd next year, no 2nds involved.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
can someone plaease explain to me what the exact picks that the Bills got were. Im hearing a 3rd and a 7th for this year and a 3rd for next year. I also heard that the Bills were picking up a 2nd this year. anyone????

We got the Ravens 3rd rounder this year (#92 overall), 7th rounder (#220) and their 3rd Rounder last year (TBD).

According to the trade value chart, the trade package is worth anywhere from the 50th pick overall (18th pick in 2nd Round) to the 68th pick overall (4th pick in the 3rd round). The package is contingent on how the Ravens do next year (where their 3rd rounder will be in the draft). If I were to guess, I'd say that we are getting the value of a late 2nd round pick for McGahee.

However, I am glad that we got this value in 3 picks than in just 1, because we are a little short on picks this year and we can get some players that fit the Tampa 2 later in the draft due to the scheme itself. Plus, we obviously made our picks count last year in the draft! (6 rookies started and every one made the 53 man roster on opening day)

ccB
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
What do you mean by this?

thats what the chargers are asking to give him up.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
We got the Ravens 3rd rounder this year (#92 overall), 7th rounder (#220) and their 3rd Rounder last year (TBD).

According to the trade value chart, the trade package is worth anywhere from the 50th pick overall (18th pick in 2nd Round) to the 68th pick overall (4th pick in the 3rd round). The package is contingent on how the Ravens do next year (where their 3rd rounder will be in the draft). If I were to guess, I'd say that we are getting the value of a late 2nd round pick for McGahee.

However, I am glad that we got this value in 3 picks than in just 1, because we are a little short on picks this year and we can get some players that fit the Tampa 2 later in the draft due to the scheme itself. Plus, we obviously made our picks count last year in the draft! (6 rookies started and every one made the 53 man roster on opening day)

According to the trade value chart the trade is worth 184.8 points.

Or the 17th pick in the 3rd round.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:26 PM
According to the trade value chart the trade is worth 184.8 points.

Or the 17th pick in the 3rd round.

No, that's completely wrong. Show me your math.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
thats what the chargers are asking to give him up.

Since he got the highest tender for an RFA, it would require a 1st and a 3rd for us to sign him. In addition, according to this Rotoworld.com article, it doesn't sound like AJ Smith wants to trade him.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith doesn't sound willing to entertain trade offers for Michael Turner.
"It's over," Smith told the New York Daily News. "It'll take a 1 and a 3." No one is going to pay that price, so it looks like Turner will indeed back up LaDainian Tomlinson again in 2007. Keeper league owners should remain patient with Turner.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2641

However, many speculate that the Chargers can't afford to pay Turner the $2.8 million he is going to get just to backup LT. So I am not going to shut the door on it quite yet.

As for N_S - I think he was being ultra sarcastic though, and I was wondering why, because I think Turner is worth a 1st rounder.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Also, McGahee got a huge deal from the Ravens.

McGAHEE DEAL: SEVEN YEARS, $40.12 MILLION

We're told that the Ravens and running back Willis McGahee are very close to agreeing on a seven-year deal worth $40.12 million.

As we previously explained, McGahee will receive $7.5 million to sign, an initial option bonus of $6 million, and a second option bonus of $1.5 million. The salaries are $595,000 in 2007, $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6.0 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012, and $7.2 million in 2013.

Since McGahee was due to earn $2.155 million in 2007, the deal is essentially a six-year extension worth $37.965 million.

If the Ravens cut McGahee before the back-end salaries kick in, he will earn a total of $20.42 million over four years.

www.profootballtalk.com

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 02:49 PM
thats a boat load he better get us 1200+ and 8+ TDs

Rob S
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
wow.........that much for willis is nuts.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I agree that is alot for McGahee. Jones only got 4 years and $20 million.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 02:57 PM
If we dont have enough $ for T-sizzle because of this guy I will got ape poop.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
It's not completely wrong at all. The value of future picks is pushed back a round, IE: a 3rd rounder in 2008 is worth the value of a 4th rounder in this year. Future picks are devalued. The value is about a mid-3rd pick if you consider the Ravens as around 8-8 next year (which is a little pessimistic) so it's actually likely going to be a little less than that.

I don't know what the market was for the Bills, but that's a pretty bad deal. Guess you take what you can get though.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I agree that is alot for McGahee. Jones only got 4 years and $20 million.
The guaranteed money is about the same though. 13-14 million for Willis, 12 million for TJ.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-08-2007, 03:03 PM
That contract isn't big at all, people are just overreacting with the big number which doesn't tell really how much it is.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:05 PM
That contract isn't big at all, people are just overreacting with the big number which doesn't tell really how much it is.
Eh...it's still pretty big.

Then again you're a Redskins fan so I guess it's all relative.

sweetness34
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM

I hope so, haha that would be pretty funny to screw the Packers out of both AP and Marshawn and leave them with no RB for next season (well if you count Morency as an RB).

rocco31fb
03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I think that is a GOOD deal for McGahee is you understand that the Bills had NO interest in signing him after this year. They would never have given him the contract Baltimore did. Plus a lot of fans and obviously the team was sick of him. Two first day picks is a good deal in my mind. And the way Marv drafts, those picks have the chance to turn into some very good value.

Dillon was in today. From the way Jauron was talking on Sirius today, it sounded like he liked Rhodes the best. He also said the Bills want a two-back system. We'll see what happens in a week.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 03:11 PM
It's not completely wrong at all. The value of future picks is pushed back a round, IE: a 3rd rounder in 2008 is worth the value of a 4th rounder in this year. Future picks are devalued. The value is about a mid-3rd pick if you consider the Ravens as around 8-8 next year (which is a little pessimistic) so it's actually likely going to be a little less than that.

I don't know what the market was for the Bills, but that's a pretty bad deal. Guess you take what you can get though.

I don't understand why they are devalued. Why are they pushed back a round?

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Quick comment on future value:

There are multiple ways of assessing it. The most common way that NFL teams use is essentially what bearsfan_51 has noted. That is, a 3rd round next year is basically worth a 4th round this year. but there are example which go to show different accounting methods on future value. For example, I forget which trade it was, as I'll go dig it up, but there was a trade where the future value that was used was more a half-round method, which would boost the value of the Bills package closer to a late 2nd. But that's not commonly used, and when it is used, most people seem to feel that it is used as a method of rationalization.

One example of the former/main method was the Reggie Kelly drafting, when Atlanta gave up a first rounder to grab a 2nd rounder to select Reggie Kelly (when most thought they might go after Peerless Price).

bearsfan_51
Rhodes is going to make a lot of money I think. He's the epitome currently of the 2nd back in a 2 back system. I think there's a real strong chance they sign him in Tennessee as a compliment to Lendale White.

art vandelay
I think that is a GOOD deal for McGahee is you understand that the Bills had NO interest in signing him after this year. They would never have given him the contract Baltimore did. Plus a lot of fans and obviously the team was sick of him. Two first day picks is a good deal in my mind. And the way Marv drafts, those picks have the chance to turn into some very good value.

Dillon was in today. From the way Jauron was talking on Sirius today, it sounded like he liked Rhodes the best. He also said the Bills want a two-back system. We'll see what happens in a week.

Nah man, actually Jauron stated in his McGahee press conference that Dillon wasn't coming in, at least not today.

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 03:14 PM

It's how future value is considered. Let's take it away from the football arena for a second. Would you rather have, say, 10,000 dollars this year or 10,000 dollars next year, assuming that this money is negligible (that is, you don't need it)? You take the money now, because you can invest it and hope that, by this time next year, the amount has grown somewhat.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Uncertainty about what will be there. The desire to immediately fill a need rather than wait. The fact that you have no idea where the pick will actually be. If there is a strike or something of the like it's a worthless pick. An astroid might hit the earth and blow it up.

All I know is that's the consensus and is as generally agreed upon as the value chart is. This is why a lot of teams will trade back up into the late 1st offering their 2nd and their future 1st (like the Bills did in the past for Losman). Because the future 1st has the value of a mid 2nd.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Quick comment on future value:

There are multiple ways of assessing it. The most common way that NFL teams use is essentially what bearsfan_51 has noted. That is, a 3rd round next year is basically worth a 4th round this year. but there are example which go to show different accounting methods on future value. For example, I forget which trade it was, as I'll go dig it up, but there was a trade where the future value that was used was more a half-round method, which would boost the value of the Bills package closer to a late 2nd. But that's not commonly used, and when it is used, most people seem to feel that it is used as a method of rationalization.

One example of the former/main method was the Reggie Kelly drafting, when Atlanta gave up a first rounder to grab a 2nd rounder to select Reggie Kelly (when most thought they might go after Peerless Price).

I think a 3rd rounder is a 3rd rounder. I mean it's not conditional or anything, we are going to get it next year. If you look at the trade my way, the package is worth anywhere from a mid-2nd to an early 3rd. Also, it's spread out over 3 picks, which I like better, because we get 3 players and not just 1. Also, we tend to pick players that fit our system, so where we pick them isn't really as important to use (as we have demonstrated in the past).

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
It's how future value is considered. Let's take it away from the football arena for a second. Would you rather have, say, 10,000 dollars this year or 10,000 dollars next year, assuming that this money is negligible (that is, you don't need it)? You take the money now, because you can invest it and hope that, by this time next year, the amount has grown somewhat.
There, go with the guy that has a graduate degree in business, or economics, or whatever it is that I don't understand.;)

I was trying to think of analogies with the Spanish Inquisition but they just weren't coming.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I think a 3rd rounder is a 3rd rounder. I mean it's not conditional or anything, we are going to get it next year. If you look at the trade my way, the package is worth anywhere from a mid-2nd to an early 3rd. Also, it's spread out over 3 picks, which I like better, because we get 3 players and not just 1. Also, we tend to pick players that fit our system, so where we pick them isn't really as important to use (as we have demonstrated in the past).

You can "look at it" anyway you want. But that's not the value of the trade. The value of the trade is a mid to mid-high 3rd.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM

I like that analogy about how you can invest it and the player can grow in a years' time. Makes more sense now, but I still would rather have those 3 picks rather than just a late 2nd.

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 03:20 PM
But, as bf51 has noted, there is an uncertainty factor. And you aren't gaining immediate access, which means that developmental timelines on the value of the pick have to be delayed, along with other uncertainties.

That said, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you or telling you that you are wrong. There are those that use a method somewhat akin to how you are judging it and the package under those method, based on my rough memory of the various draft value charts, would value anywhere from a late 2nd-early 3rd. That said, I just don't believe in that methodology, but others certainly do.

And you do point out a good point in that, spreading out picks would also decrease the risk.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Yes I'm more of a proponent of the more picks the better, but aggregately the value is what it is.

rocco31fb
03-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I like that analogy about how you can invest it and the player can grow in a years' time. Makes more sense now, but I still would rather have those 3 picks rather than just a late 2nd.

I agree, I'd rather have two 3rd round picks, than one 2nd Rd pick.

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree, I'd rather have two 3rd round picks, than one 2nd Rd pick.

But ... with the 2nd round pick, you ostensibly have the ability to have more options. Relatively speaking, it's better to have the higher asset with the ability to deal down, rather than having the lower assets and trying to deal up, especially at that point in the draft, when positioning and smokescreens run more rampant than is speculated upon (for example, a couple years ago, Atlanta did a fairly good job in hiding in interest in Matt Schaub ... from my memory, St. Louis wanted Schaub, and were picking 1 pick behind Atlanta I think, and they didn't think Atlanta would go with Schaub, and St. Louis ended up with Anthony Hargrove).

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Right. And with the value of whatever 2nd pick you can generally acquire two picks of greater value if you so desire. It's always better to get the best value that you can (which this is possibly the best the Bills could do).

jkb528
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, whatever the aggregate value of the picks is, I still think that Buffalo got a pretty good deal. They got just a third a few years ago from Tennessee for Travis Henry, who had two 1300 yard seasons under his belt. All McGahee proved in Buffalo was that he could dominate the Jets twice a year. He didnt want to be there, and I think Buffalo did the right thing getting what picks they could for him this year before his contract expired after next season.

Addict
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
But ... with the 2nd round pick, you ostensibly have the ability to have more options. Relatively speaking, it's better to have the higher asset with the ability to deal down, rather than having the lower assets and trying to deal up, especially at that point in the draft, when positioning and smokescreens run more rampant than is speculated upon (for example, a couple years ago, Atlanta did a fairly good job in hiding in interest in Matt Schaub ... from my memory, St. Louis wanted Schaub, and were picking 1 pick behind Atlanta I think, and they didn't think Atlanta would go with Schaub, and St. Louis ended up with Anthony Hargrove).

I'm just guessing here, but the Rams weren't too happy about that right?

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, they weren't happy obviously, but it's not as if QB was such a pressing need that they were in the dumps about it. Hargrove was an interesting pick that looked real smart at the end of 2005 ... but then fell out and was moved.

Shiver
03-08-2007, 04:05 PM
McGAHEE DEAL: SEVEN YEARS, $40.12 MILLION

We're told that the Ravens and running back Willis McGahee are very close to agreeing on a seven-year deal worth $40.12 million.

As we previously explained, McGahee will receive $7.5 million to sign, an initial option bonus of $6 million, and a second option bonus of $1.5 million. The salaries are $595,000 in 2007, $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6.0 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012, and $7.2 million in 2013.

Since McGahee was due to earn $2.155 million in 2007, the deal is essentially a six-year extension worth $37.965 million.

If the Ravens cut McGahee before the back-end salaries kick in, he will earn a total of $20.42 million over four years.

According to PFT.

princefielder28
03-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I can't believe how relatively cheap his contract is at less than 6 mil a year

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't believe how relatively cheap his contract is at less than 6 mil a year

CHEAP???!!

Awfully expensive for a guy who has done nothing but regress and underachieve every year he's been in the league playing.

El$anDollah
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Man that is a interesting deal for him. This really changes the mock drafts.

Geo
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Good move by both sides, although that extension by Baltimore is a heavy vote of confidence for McGahee on the part of the Ravens' staff without having seen him take one snap for them.

The Bills would have received a 3rd round compensatory pick had McGahee played out his contract year, but instead have deftly received 3rd round picks in consecutive years.

I really think this opens up the opportunity for them to draft Antonio Pittman, who imo is a underrated all-purpose back and home-run threat. I would have likely considered him to be the best senior RB next year had he not exercised his eligibilty, so it's something of a fortunate coup for the Bills to land him now just as they part ways with McGahee. Pittman and A-Train would make for a very good RB combo, especially behind the left side of that offensive line.

dcarey20
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Good move by both sides, although that extension by Baltimore is a heavy vote of confidence for McGahee on the part of the Ravens' staff without having seen him take one snap for them.

actually the extension was a great deal for us. it was 7 years, about 40 million, which means if mcgahee finishes the deal, he would be making less per year than ahman green. i think that shows how reasonable it is.

and ozzie newsome structured the deal so that it is more like a 4 year deal worth 20 million.

again, i can't express how happy i am with his acquisition.

The Legend
03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
7 Years 42 Million

Shiver
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Once again, he's unlikely to see most of that money.

The final two years are phony, so McGahee's deal is basically for five years and $26.42 million.

From Rotoworld.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 07:25 PM
IMO it's still overpaying. Plus, McGahee could be in a worst situation than he was with the Bills. McNair is obviously old and won't be around too long and as Chris Brown, of buffalobills.com reports,

WILLIS WILL BE RUNNING UPHILL: While I don’t doubt that Willis will be very motivated in his first year with the Ravens, especially with a leader like Ray Lewis pushing him, finding holes in the run game might not be easy. Baltimore cut veteran guard Ed Mulitalo, lost starting right tackle Tony Pashos in free agency to Jacksonville, starting left tackle Jonathan Ogden is still contemplating retirement and they lost Pro Bowl fullback Ovie Mughelli to Atlanta. The Ravens will likely draft an offensive lineman with their first pick near the bottom of round 1, but Willis may have actually been better off running behind Buffalo’s line this year, not that he had a choice. We’ll see how he fares grinding out yards in 2007.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
In addition, here's what Chris Brown had to say about the money that Willis got:

WILLIS TO GET PAID: According to Pro Football Talk, the Ravens are close to an agreement on a contract extension with Willis McGahee that will make him one of the highest paid running backs in the NFL! It's reportedly a 7-year $40M deal which includes a $7.5M signing bonus, an option bonus of $6M and a second option bonus of $1.5M. It averages $5.73M a year. LaDainian Tomlinson is due to make $5.75M in base salary in 2008.

LT money?! Are you kidding me?! This guy was 25th in total yards last year among running backs. The 25th running back!

This is just further proof that there's no way McGahee could have, or wanted to be re-signed by Buffalo. It's better that they got some value in return for him instead of winding up with nothing next year in light of the money he will reportedly land with the Ravens.

Baltimore just de-valued their trade by throwing way too much money at him.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
about Mulitalo Brown played up to his level before Mules injury plus brings some youth, Flynn is probably going to be replaced for a quicker athletic Chester, and the Pashos loss is not as big as they make it out to be, we can draft somebody in the 1st 4 rounds and get equal playing from him.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
about Mulitalo Brown played up to his level before Mules injury plus brings some youth, Flynn is probably going to be replaced for a quicker athletic Chester, and the Pashos loss is not as big as they make it out to be, we can draft somebody in the 1st 4 rounds and get equal playing from him.

So what's your starting offensive line? Probably not as good as Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Butler/Preston and Walker.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 07:38 PM
LT-Ogden
LG-Brown
C-Chester
RG-Vincent
RT-Terry

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 07:51 PM
LT-Ogden
LG-Brown
C-Chester
RG-Vincent
RT-Terry

Good luck Willis behind that line. I heard Ogden is contemplating retirement and regardless I think he would be behind a better line in Buffalo (even though I am glad that he isn't!)

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
So what's your starting offensive line? Probably not as good as Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Butler/Preston and Walker.

That line sucks.

Rob S
03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
That line sucks.

The right side does, but Fowler played like a top 10-15 C last year, and the left side has 2 potential pro bowlers (Dockery almost was, and Peters probably should have been). I think suck is a very strong word and that the potential is there for an above average line, which we have been waiting for for quite some time.

jkpigskin
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
im pretty happy with the move... getting an impact runner in the draft was pretty slim....

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 08:13 PM
That line sucks.

Wow, not at all. I guess you don't know who Jason Peters and Derrick Dockery are?

Also, Preston played well after the BYE week at guard when he started in favor of Tutan Reyes and Walker was in a terrible situation with Oakland last year. Before last year, he had had a very good career. Our coaching staff (offensive line guru Jim McNally) likes Butler at OG and Fowler played suprisingly well at center last year.

If you say "that line sucks," you obviously just don't like the Bills. There is no way that that line "sucks." I'd like to hear your reasoning on that.

dcarey20
03-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Wow, not at all. I guess you don't know who Jason Peters and Derrick Dockery are?

Also, Preston played well after the BYE week at guard when he started in favor of Tutan Reyes and Walker was in a terrible situation with Oakland last year. Before last year, he had had a very good career. Our coaching staff (offensive line guru Jim McNally) likes Butler at OG and Fowler played suprisingly well at center last year.

If you say "that line sucks," you obviously just don't like the Bills. There is no way that that line "sucks." I'd like to hear your reasoning on that.

well i wouldn't count dockery in on the coversation because mcgahee didn't play with him. but i do agree that the bills oline doesn't suck. they have alot of potential but they are very inconsistent. some games i saw they played up to their potential, and some they were just awful, which in my opinion, is why mcgahee was very up and down. i like jason peters at LT and he is probably the brightest spot for them.

bearsfan_51
03-08-2007, 08:24 PM
The right side does, but Fowler played like a top 10-15 C last year, and the left side has 2 potential pro bowlers (Dockery almost was, and Peters probably should have been). I think suck is a very strong word and that the potential is there for an above average line, which we have been waiting for for quite some time.
I'm just kidding. I just wanted Art to blow up, which obviously worked.

I do think, however, talking about that line as if it's something special as he was is a huge stretch. It's an ok line. Maybe above average like you said. That's about it. Above average is nothing to brag about.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm just kidding. I just wanted Art to blow up, which obviously worked.

I do think, however, talking about that line as if it's something special as he was is a huge stretch. It's an ok line. Maybe above average like you said. That's about it. Above average is nothing to brag about.

I don't really think I blew up. I wanted to hear your reasoning on why it "sucks," which you obviously can't give.

ccB
03-08-2007, 08:42 PM
IMO it's still overpaying. Plus, McGahee could be in a worst situation than he was with the Bills. McNair is obviously old and won't be around too long and as Chris Brown, of buffalobills.com reports,

WILLIS WILL BE RUNNING UPHILL: While I don’t doubt that Willis will be very motivated in his first year with the Ravens, especially with a leader like Ray Lewis pushing him, finding holes in the run game might not be easy. Baltimore cut veteran guard Ed Mulitalo, lost starting right tackle Tony Pashos in free agency to Jacksonville, starting left tackle Jonathan Ogden is still contemplating retirement and they lost Pro Bowl fullback Ovie Mughelli to Atlanta. The Ravens will likely draft an offensive lineman with their first pick near the bottom of round 1, but Willis may have actually been better off running behind Buffalo’s line this year, not that he had a choice. We’ll see how he fares grinding out yards in 2007.

Mulitalo only played 4 games last year so losing him is no big deal. Pashos is gone but many think Terry will be better anyway. Both Brown and Chester impressed immensly last year. The only real loss from the line was Pashos and like I said many think Terry is going to be better.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Mulitalo only played 4 games last year so losing him is no big deal. Pashos is gone but many think Terry will be better anyway. Both Brown and Chester impressed immensly last year. The only real loss from the line was Pashos and like I said many think Terry is going to be better.

How do you explain Odgen and Mughelli?

Also, it can definitely be argued that the Bills' oline is better than the Ravens'.

ccB
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
How do you explain Odgen and Mughelli?

Also, it can definitely be argued that the Bills' oline is better than the Ravens'.

Ogden hasnt went anywhere yet. Yeah their line is comparable to ours but almost every other position the Ravens are superior at.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
This will be Ogdens last year IMO I think he will stick it out in hopes for a ring.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Ogden hasnt went anywhere yet. Yeah their line is comparable to ours but almost every other position the Ravens are superior at.

We are better at LT, LG, C, RT, #1 WR on offense.

QB is about even. We don't know who is better at FB because neither of us has one. You are superior at TE, #2 WR and RG, IMO.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 08:55 PM
We are better at LT, LG, C, RT, #1 WR on offense.

QB is about even. We don't know who is better at FB because neither of us has one. You are superior at TE, #2 WR and RG, IMO.

Who is your LT that is better then Ogden. What does a WR have to do with who has the better O-line.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Who is your LT that is better then Ogden. What does a WR have to do with who has the better O-line.

Jason Peters! CCB said that you are better at all other positions.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont think Peters is better then JO, JO argubably was a top 2 LT behind Jaamal Brown this season he dominated.

art vandelay
03-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I dont think Peters is better then JO, JO argubably was a top 2 LT behind Jaamal Brown this season he dominated.

Well Peters is definitely better considering his age. Plus, you might not even have Ogden next year so I'd definitely give us the nod at LT. I don't really want to argue with you about this because its a difference of opinion, but I personally think that McGahee would have fared better behind Buffalo's O-Line next year than behind Baltimore's.

Ravens1991
03-08-2007, 09:07 PM
OK fair enough.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2007, 11:10 PM
the ravens are probably gonna go O lineman first rd, so that adds some youth, hopefully they take blalock, i think he fits in with them the best...

the ravens always draft well anyway, and the trade was well worth it...

freebirdsrams02
03-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I pick the Ravens to win the AFC next year.

ccB
03-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Jason Peters! CCB said that you are better at all other positions.

I said your Line is comparable and I could see where youd think its better but every other position we are better at. Meaning offense and defense. I wasnt talking about o-line or just offense for that matter. I actually wasnt even being serious but more so saying it in a sarcastic manner like "my dad can beat up your dad (which he could my dads pretty tough)". It just seems like your kind of sour about the whole trade and no matter what anyone has said about any aspect of the trade youve been kind of girlish about the whole thing. I mean toonster said something about the value of the picks and you had a problem with that. I seriously dont care who has the better line nor do I care who got the better part of the trade.

JoeMontainya
03-08-2007, 11:25 PM
I would take Jonathan Ogden over any 2 Bils OL any day.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Pick 92 = 132
Pick 220 = 4.8
Future 3rd = 48

Total = 184.8

The 17th pick in the 3rd round is Pick 81.

Pick 81 = 185

You traded McGahee for essentially a mid 3rd rounder.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 11:34 PM

So you would trade all of your picks this year, 1-7, for picks 1-7 next year straight across?

Of course they are devalued! You go down 1 round of where the pick is in the previous round. IE if the Raiders traded away their 1st round pick in 2008, it would be worth their first round pick in 2007.

niel89
03-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Pick 92 = 132
Pick 220 = 4.8
Future 3rd = 48

Total = 184.8

Pick 81 = 185

that makes it sound a lot better:D

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I said your Line is comparable and I could see where youd think its better but every other position we are better at. Meaning offense and defense. I wasnt talking about o-line or just offense for that matter. I actually wasnt even being serious but more so saying it in a sarcastic manner like "my dad can beat up your dad (which he could my dads pretty tough)". It just seems like your kind of sour about the whole trade and no matter what anyone has said about any aspect of the trade youve been kind of girlish about the whole thing. I mean toonster said something about the value of the picks and you had a problem with that. I seriously dont care who has the better line nor do I care who got the better part of the trade.

Sour? Quite the contrary actually! I have honestly never been more happy to see a Buffalo Bill leaving the team.

I had no problem with toonster's assessment, I actually told him that I really liked how he said that you can invest this year and your investment will grow by this time next year. If I could give him more rep, I would, but I have already given him too much.

I don't really see how I'm being "girlish" on the issue at all. I'm just calling them like I see them.

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Pick 92 = 132
Pick 220 = 4.8
Future 3rd = 48

Total = 184.8

Pick 81 = 185

...even though we got two third rounders and a seventh. One of the 3rd rounders could very well be higher than a mid-3rd as well. The "value" of the deal tells a very different story than it actually is.

Non_Sequitur
03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
...even though we got two third rounders and a seventh. One of the 3rd rounders could very well be higher than a mid-3rd as well. The "value" of the deal tells a very different story than it actually is.

That's the key word.

And look at it this way:

The Jets essentially traded the value of the 3rd pick in the 3rd round for Thomas Jones. The Bills essentailly traded away Willis McGahee for the value of the 17th pick in the 3rd round.

The Bears got more for Thomas Jones than the Bills got for Willis McGahee.

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
That's the key word.

Regardless...I think most people would take 2 later 3rd rounders and a 7th over a mid-3rd.

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
That's the key word.

And look at it this way:

The Jets essentially traded the value of the 3rd pick in the 3rd round for Thomas Jones. The Bills essentailly traded away Willis McGahee for the value of the 17th pick in the 3rd round.

The Bears got more for Thomas Jones than the Bills got for Willis McGahee.

Are you just trying to piss me off? The Bills got 3 picks and the Bears just kept one. "Value" is pretty overrated. Plenty of 2nd rounders bust, and we got 3 picks which obviously lowers the bust rate of our players. In all honesty, homerism aside, I would rather have 3 picks (2 thirds and a seventh) rather than just one (high 2nd).

Sure, you could land a great "prospect" with the pick that the Bears acquire, but the draft is a huge crapshoot. 3 players are better than 1. That's just how I look at it.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't really call the 7th a pick it's more like 2 picks. The 7th is the 3rd to last pick in the draft so basically the guy they draft there probably won't make the roster and he would probably be someone they could sign undrafted anyways.

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Marv Levy spoke about that very thing yesterday. He was very happy with the 7th and said that guarantees you a player which you would want to sign as a UDFA. Plus, we very rarely cut players that we draft. All of our players usually make our team.

Rob S
03-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Ghetto, we have actually had very good success recently with UDFA. A good number have made the roster and some have made huge contributions (Jason Peters). Keith Ellison came up huge last year too as well as Terrance Pennington. They were 6th and 7th rounders (I think) and started a good portion of the games. The Bills do well late in the draft.

Non_Sequitur
03-10-2007, 01:30 AM
Are you just trying to piss me off? The Bills got 3 picks and the Bears just kept one. "Value" is pretty overrated. Plenty of 2nd rounders bust, and we got 3 picks which obviously lowers the bust rate of our players. In all honesty, homerism aside, I would rather have 3 picks (2 thirds and a seventh) rather than just one (high 2nd).

Sure, you could land a great "prospect" with the pick that the Bears acquire, but the draft is a huge crapshoot. 3 players are better than 1. That's just how I look at it.

I'm sure 32 teams wish you were a GM of another team if you'd take what you got over what the Bears.

I'm not trying to "piss you off." But every GM looks at the trade value chart. And the chart values what the Bears got for Jones over what the Bills got for McGahee. And I'll take a high 2nd rounder over a late 3rd tthis year, a 3rd next year, and a late 7th this year. Two quarters and a nickel don't a dollar make.