PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Jag Jimmy Smith faces pot, cocaine charges

General Zod
04-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Well it sounds like Jimmy Smith is enjoying his retirement. :-)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4090836

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Jimmy Smith was pulled over Wednesday afternoon and found with crack cocaine and marijuana in his car, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Smith, who played 10 seasons for Jacksonville, was pulled over on Interstate 95 in Jacksonville for excessive window tint on his 2009 Mercedes Benz, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Leeper said.

The trooper reported that the inside of the car smelled like burnt marijuana. During a search, the trooper found crack cocaine, marijuana and a business card with powder cocaine residue in the car's center console.

Smith faces multiple drug charges, plus a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was being held at the Duval County Jail with no bond set.

Smith retired from the Jaguars in 2006 after playing from 1995 to 2005. He finished with 862 receptions and 12,287 receiving yards and 67 touchdowns. He was a five-time Pro Bowl selection.

Despite the exceptional stats, Smith's career was not without problems.

In 2001, he had three operations to remove scar tissue from his abdomen. Some questioned whether he would play again, but he caught 112 passes for 1,373 yards -- despite being arrested in November that year for suspicion of drunken driving. Tests later revealed he had cocaine in his system. He vehemently denied using the drug.

He was suspended for the first four games of the 2003 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He then publicly acknowledged an addiction and spent several weeks in rehab.

Smith also had problems before joining the Jaguars.

The third receiver selected in the 1992 draft behind Desmond Howard and Carl Pickens, Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994 after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance, teaming with Keenan McCardell to help land the Jaguars in the playoffs in only their second season.

BeerBaron
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
A guy I always liked.....sad to see things like this happen.

The Legend
04-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Looks like Jaguars curse follows you even after you retire

Matthew Jones
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Well, that sucks. Good luck to him. Not looking good though.

diabsoule
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
No wonder he pwned the Joes on Pros vs. Joes.

Nitschke-Hawk
04-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Ehh this is sad.

But I just realized 3 Jaguar receivers have been caught with cocaine. Jimmy Smith, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams (allegedly I think). What a trend.

d34ng3l021
04-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Ehh this is sad.

But I just realized 3 Jaguar receivers have been caught with cocaine. Jimmy Smith, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams (allegedly I think). What a trend.

What do you think they do instead of extra practice?

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 01:24 AM
So is the jags' WR coach making cash on the side by selling yay/crack or something?

Me Likey Rookies
04-23-2009, 01:28 AM
So is the jags' WR coach making cash on the side by selling yay/crack or something?

lol .....(ten).....

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 01:39 AM

Seems like it huh? The yola in Jacksonville must be good.

Very sad situation, though. Looks like another stint in rehab is in Jimmy's future.

CC.SD
04-23-2009, 01:39 AM
I think the real thing to realize from this story is that Jimmy Smith could make the Jags roster today.

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I think the real thing to realize from this story is that Jimmy Smith could make the Jags roster today.

Ha, that's true. Makes me wonder, too, if this is what led to his abrupt retirement. Perhaps he failed another test a la Ricky Williams and just retired. He was old enough to where people wouldn't question it.

The Unseen
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Smith, who played 10 seasons for Jacksonville, was pulled over on Interstate 95 in Jacksonville for excessive window tint on his 2009 Mercedes Benz, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Leeper said.

Gotta stop that excessive window tint from threatening our community...

SimonRath
04-23-2009, 09:16 AM
i honestly never saw this coming

21ST
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
wait did he got caught with soft or hard

Splat
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
That's using your dip stick Jimmy!!!

MetSox17
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM

If i saw a vehicle creeping around my block with windows so dark i couldn't see inside, you're damn right i'd feel threatened.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Might as well let people cover their license plates while they drive too. I'm all for individual rights but law enforcement needs to be able to see inside cars to identify who is in inside.

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Might as well let people cover their license plates while they drive too. I'm all for individual rights but law enforcement needs to be able to see inside cars to identify who is in inside.

Why, so they can profile more than they already do?

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Why, so they can profile more than they already do?

Stolen cars, fake plates, covered plates, etc. It's important to be able to see who is driving a vehicle or it can be difficult to solve and prosecute crimes.

Also, excessive tint can be dangerous for the driver because it reduces visibility.

GB12
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Ehh this is sad.

I blame the generic last names.

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Stolen cars, fake plates, covered plates, etc. It's important to be able to see who is driving a vehicle or it can be difficult to solve and prosecute crimes.

Also, excessive tint can be dangerous for the driver because it reduces visibility.

What relation does tinted windows have at all with stolen cars or fake plates? All the police have to do is run the plates and see if they match with the car and/or come up stolen. The cops are going to get a nice good look at whoever is driving once he has been pulled over. They don't need to see into my car while I'm driving any more than the guy driving next to me.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 03:49 PM
What relation does tinted windows have at all with stolen cars or fake plates? All the police have to do is run the plates and see if they match with the car and/or come up stolen. The cops are going to get a nice good look at whoever is driving once he has been pulled over. They don't need to see into my car while I'm driving any more than the guy driving next to me.

If you commit a hit and run, steal a car, etc. it is almost impossible to identify who did it if the windows are tinted. If witnesses or the police can see in the car though, they can identify the driver.

Plus, excessive tint is a safety issue like I already mentioned.

Prowler
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
excessive tint is technically enough and a safety issue. but technically it is legal to beat your wife with the bristle end of a brush in georgia, sodomy is illegal is most states, etc. there are plenty of laws on the books that could be enforced but aren't. excessive tint is pure BS. shouldn't he be out cleaning up the streets and making sure kids make it home from school alright instead of worrying about the window tint of expensive cars?

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
excessive tint is technically enough and a safety issue. but technically it is legal to beat your wife with the bristle end of a brush in georgia, sodomy is illegal is most states, etc. there are plenty of laws on the books that could be enforced but aren't. excessive tint is pure BS. shouldn't he be out cleaning up the streets and making sure kids make it home from school alright instead of worrying about the window tint of expensive cars?

It is in no way legal to beat your wife with anything in Georgia. That is complete b/s.

Prowler
04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
lol and you have full knowledge of this? here's a few more. http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_georgia.htm

http://www.idiotlaws.com/dumb_laws/georgia/

you get the point though, there are plenty of 'weak' laws out there.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
lol and you have full knowledge of this? here's a few more. http://www.bitoffun.com/stupid_laws_georgia.htm

Please tell me you're joking if you think that would have any clout in a courtroom. If you beat somebody with something, it is battery. Period.

tjsunstein
04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
This is a shame. He was one of my favorite players when he played. I guess this is how he is coping with Torry Holt signing with the Jaguars.

ccB
04-23-2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/04/042309_jimmy_2_1.jpg

Yeah he looks like he's smoked some crack recently...

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
What's he doing with rocks anyway? He should know that's a poor man's drug. Stick with the powder!

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
What's he doing with rocks anyway? He should know that's a poor man's drug. Stick with the powder!

A bellringer's a bellringer, and yay won't give you a that. He's a real man so he needed a real man's drug. I've heard Jimmy Smith poops meth.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
A bellringer's a bellringer, and yay won't give you a that. He's a real man so he needed a real man's drug. I've heard Jimmy Smith poops meth.

True true. However having millions of dollars to chase bellringers with is a sure-fire recipe for disaster. Lawrence Taylor 2.0?

nobodyinparticular
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM

http://www.idiotlaws.com/dumb_laws/georgia/

you get the point though, there are plenty of 'weak' laws out there.

In California, it is illegal to fake an orgasm.

Brodeur
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I blame the generic last names.

I don't know why but this made me burst out laughing.

Staubach12
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
What is with Jacksonville and cocaine?!

Nitschke-Hawk
04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/04/042309_jimmy_2_1.jpg

Yeah he looks like he's smoked some crack recently...

ah this really sucks. Jimmy seems to be a good guy outside of this.

Primetime21
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
ah this really sucks. Jimmy seems to be a good guy outside of this.

Still is a good guy just has some bad habits. Some of the nicest people I know have the same friends as Jimmy.

Works hard, plays hard.

YAYareaRB
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
What is that? 3 Jags WRs that caught drug charges. Namely with Cocaine. The thing that suprised me the most was the crack cocaine.

Splat
04-24-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/oMktzmxGu5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMktzmxGu5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMktzmxGu5Y&feature=related)

TitleTown088
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Who dosen't hit the slopes in retirement?

JRTPlaya21
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Say it ain't so Jimmy.