PDA

View Full Version : What team ends up with Sanchez? Per sources, most interested teams inside

FrankGore
04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4092024

The Seahawks, Browns, Redskins and Jets are all supposedly the most interested according to this article. I could see the Seahawks and Browns smokescreening this, but the other two teams probably have legitimate interest and might be battling to move up. I wouldn't have expected him to end up being picked until the latter part of the top 10, but the interest in moving up by teams outside the top 10 may be too great.

I'm going to say he'll become a Redskin, and the Jets will get a serviceable QB with upside in Jason Campbell for a midround pick once that happens.

FlyingElvis
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I think the Seahawks have a legit interest. Sanchez should be a good QB and would have no pressure b/c of Hasselbeck.

Cleveland probably depends on Quinn. If they're not really close to any deal for Quinn then it's a smokescreen.

Both teams would probably rather trade down, though.

PossibleCabbage
04-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I think the Seahawks have a legit interest. Sanchez should be a good QB and would have no pressure b/c of Hasselbeck.

Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle thinks Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.

D-Unit
04-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Wonder why they left out Denver and Jacksonville?

A sleeper team are the 49ers.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I think he's off the board at #4 to the Seahawks barring a trade.

I also think teams will be very careful about trading into the top few spots this year because of the salary cap implications. Look for teams trading down to get low value for their high picks if any deal does happen (I'm predicting no trades until Jacksonville at the earliest).

FrankGore
04-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle things Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.

It's a good idea for Seattle if the money weren't so enormous for a #4 overall quarterback. You're talking about $70 mill with about $35 mill guaranteed based on what Ryan got at #3 last year. You don't pay a guy that much and keep him on the bench for 2 years IMO. It's just not feasible. They need to get a QBOTF, but Hasselbeck has enough juice to buy them some time to where it can be a lower pick at some point, where the investment is going to be much less and a guy can sit without killing the team's finances.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure they like him a lot (especially for their system), but I just don't think this is a realistic fit. BTW, Hasselbeck is still getting I think $5-6 mill a year for the next two years and his cap number is approaching $10 mill (correct me if I'm wrong).

giant73zuma
04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I really dont think the Jets should go for a QB they have 3 young QB who all have good potential. Is Jason Campbell that bad, I didnt think he did that horrible last year, the Skins would be better off with him at least for another year then totally setting themselves back with a rookie QB. Denver has Orton, who could be a decent starter especially if McDaniels can coach him up, maybe denver takes a qb after the 1st round to groom as a replacement/ back up. Im not sure if Seattle wants to spend that much money on having to QBs and they also have Wallace. I Could see Jacksonville or the 9er's going for Sanchez. I can also see the Rams going for Sanchez but only if they can trade down. I'm also going to throw out a long shot and say maybe the Eagles could try to trade up for him as a replacement for McNabb.

derza222
04-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm going to say he'll become a Redskin, and the Jets will get a serviceable QB with upside in Jason Campbell for a midround pick once that happens.

Everybody keeps saying the Jets lack experience at QB, and that's the major criticism. I don't really see how a rookie helps that at all. I'd take Campbell for a mid-rounder though, and this is my favorite scenario for the Jets. Get some experience at the position, good competition for the younger guys and in all likelihood a solid potential starter, still young, don't give up too much, and no Josh Freeman.

PossibleCabbage
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I could easily see some team who doesn't really need or want Sanchez picking him early anyway, so they can hold him hostage and trade him to a team picking later that really wants him, in effect forcing a trade-down.

Risky though, but I could see it.

giant73zuma
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
no Josh Freeman.

Drafting Freeman would be the worst thing for the Jets to do.

FlyingElvis
04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Don't you usually want to get your QB for the future to groom behind your august starter in about the 20s, not the top 5? If Hasselbeck plays the next two years and Seattle drafts Sanchez, they're paying a lot of money for a guy to hold a clipboard. Unless Seattle thinks Hasselbeck is done, I just don't see it happening.

Yes, but I don't think Seattle's is the typical QB of the future situation. It will be expensive, but it's not like Hasselbeck was out with a knee injury. Back problems are upredictable and that has to worry the Seahawks. They could get a guy who is a great fit for them and have the insurance for what is an easily exacerbated injury.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
It's a good idea for Seattle if the money weren't so enormous for a #4 overall quarterback. You're talking about $70 mill with about $35 mill guaranteed based on what Ryan got at #3 last year. You don't pay a guy that much and keep him on the bench for 2 years IMO. It's just not feasible. They need to get a QBOTF, but Hasselbeck has enough juice to buy them some time to where it can be a lower pick at some point, where the investment is going to be much less and a guy can sit without killing the team's finances.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure they like him a lot (especially for their system), but I just don't think this is a realistic fit. BTW, Hasselbeck is still getting I think $5-6 mill a year for the next two years and his cap number is approaching $10 mill (correct me if I'm wrong).

Seattle sounds like they're about 50-50 on what they're going to do, at least that's how the papers are reporting it. I think there are a couple of factors that play into their choice:

1. What is the health of Walter Jones' knee, if they think he can go and give them another year or two i think the OT is either put on hold or addressed in later rounds.
2. Do they view Matt Hasselbeck in terms of playing one more year or do they view him as their QB for the next few years, as for his salary i'm sure it isnt guaranteed beyond this year so the team could cut him after this year freeing up the money to pay Sanchez.
3. How confident are they that last year was an aberation and that they will return to playoff form, if they do then maybe this is their best chance to grab your QB for the next 12 years.

I think it will go right up to the time they are on the clock, they arent going to show their hand and have someone take Mark at #2 or #3. Still a chance that #4 is where Sanchez goes via the trade route with Seattle.

Brent
04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
No, they are not because he'll be gone before then. And even if he isnt, they wont take him unless they're doing it to trade him (ala Eli Manning).

eazyb81
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
It's funny thinking back to just a month or so ago on here when many, many posters argued that Sanchez might not even get drafted in the 1st round.

diabsoule
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm very disappointed to see that the Saints are not interested in Mark Sanchez.

The Dynasty
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Im sort of rooting for either Browns or Redskins to get him. Reason why is because then they will most likely trade Quinn or Campbell and there is always that possibility that the vikings will try to get one of them.

Matthew Jones
04-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Personally I think it's Seattle if he's left. Cleveland might like to take him but that'd be a mistake. Unless there's a trade up by the Jets or Washington I don't see him going anywhere else. He doesn't make a lot of sense to Jacksonville.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Im sort of rooting for either Browns or Redskins to get him. Reason why is because then they will most likely trade Quinn or Campbell and there is always that possibility that the vikings will try to get one of them.

Translated that means you wouldnt want Sanchez in Minnesota?. By the way maybe he would beat Booty out for the job this time.

Dark Knight01
04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
The Hawks will end up picking Sanchez and either keep him or trade him. Either way I think I think they are taking him at #4.

Diehard
04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Probably because Denver isn't going to burn a bunch of picks to move up into the top 5 just to grab a QB, despite what some people think.

If Sanchez slides down close to 12, well, that's a different story.

Brent
04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
By the way maybe he would beat Booty out for the job this time.
Haha, well played sir. However, I believe Carroll takes the approach at QB of, once your the starter, you stay the starter.

Dr. Gonzo
04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Haha, well played sir. However, I believe Carroll takes the approach at QB of, once your the starter, you stay the starter.

He also understands that JDB should always be a starter. It took him some time to figure out but he knows now.

Brent
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
He also understands that JDB should always be a starter. It took him some time to figure out but he knows now.
Maybe he should call Brad Childress...

Babylon
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM

I think he really thought Booty gave them the best chance to win over an inexperienced Sanchez. Pete is going to have to figure something out going forward because Matt Barkely isnt waiting 3 years for Aaron Corp to graduate.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Best line i've heard in awhile on Seattle sports radio. "If the Hawks draft Sanchez he probably wouldnt be able to come in and beat out Seneca Wallace" Wow!

art vandelay
04-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Sanchez appears to be single-handedly breaking ESPN's east coast bias. He has been all over every ESPN show during the past week.

FlyingElvis
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Sanchez appears to be single-handedly breaking ESPN's east coast bias. He has been all over every ESPN show during the past week.

Perhaps it is a conspiracy by ESPN to give him so much air time that the Jets are forced to work a trade, land Sanchez and further said bias.

Larry121283
04-24-2009, 10:12 AM

They've met a lot with Sanchez, but all indications are that the Jaguars aren't looking to grab a QB early in the draft...from what I understand anyway. Take it FWIW. I really don't know what Jacksonville will do. I have some ideas of who I'd like them to get, but that's about it. There was lots of Sanchez "interest" but it looks more like a smoke screen.

IF he is there @ #8, expect a trade to the highest bidder, supposedly there are two deals in place between the Skins and the Jets. Again, take it FWIW.

armageddon
04-24-2009, 12:12 PM
The Rams are taking him at #2