PDA

View Full Version : Mock It Up: The Final Lions Mock Thread

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Post your Lions mocks here.

I want to know what scenario YOU would like to see.

Try and be realistic. And explain your picks if they're somewhat unconventional.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 01:46 PM
This is what I would like to see:

1. QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
20. DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi
33. LB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
65. OL Jamon Meredith, South Carolina (or a guard like Levitre if he were there)
82. CB Coye Francis, San Jose State (or a comparable CB)

In the late rounds, obviously BPA is the way to go, but I'd look first to getting a Kick Returning WR, a TE, and another O-Lineman.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'll play...

1. Stafford

1A. Jerry - We need solid DT's in order for our linebackers to play better. He can rotate with the other guys we have for his rookie year.

2. Alphonso Smith - This is a deep year for corners, and I don't think next year will be as deep. So I think going corner here will be decent value with this year and next year considered. Plus this guy gets the ball. We barely had any INT's last year.

3. I would love a guy like Max Unger here. But I doubt he will still be on the board. Kind of a cop-out but I would like the best available guard here. We have a pretty good RB so lets give him a consistent starter at guard finally.

3A. Matt Shaughnessy. Just getting us another body for that terrible D-Line we have.In a way kinda of similar to Jason Jones who was on Schwartz's defense last year.

6. Michael Goodson - I'm not positive he will still be here, but he would be an excellent compliment to Kevin Smith.

6A. Brooks Foster - Didn't get many passes because of Tate and Nicks. Could have upside playing slot.

7. Maurice Evans - Worth the gamble at this point.

Prowler
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
1. Mathew Stafford
20. Robert Ayers Tenn DE
33. Ron Brace BC DT
65. Jason Phillips TCU MLB
82. Chase Coffman Mizz TE

my dream is an entire defensive line of Nose Tackles. ideally we'd trade up for B.J. Raji if he somehow fell past Jacksonville and Green Bay stupidly passed on him. I'd try and make a trade with #11 Buffalo for Raji.

Brothgar
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Really I have no idea what the Lions are gonna do at #1.

1. Matt Stafford - I'm not nearly as confident on this pick as I was a week ago. I can only hope that the Lions do the right thing here ... and draft BJ Raji :) if they take Curry I will be thoroughly upset.

20. Evander Ziggy Hood DT - Could be Jerry here as well went with Hood because of the fact he's younger and more durable.

33. Phil Loadholt - Is this the right pick? I'm not nearly as confident as I am of Ziggy hood but Loadholt reminds me alot of the guy from SD. (Can't remember his name) that is if he's even there.

65. Duke Robinson OG - These third round picks could really be anything. So frustrating I could see them go OG, CB or DE here They could also take Brinkley or Beckwith. Maybe even a TE

82. Jasper Brinkley - Could be Beckwith if he lasts that long but I still think that Schwartz wants bigger ILBers. I'm well aware that he is a slight reach here.

I fear...

1 - Aaron Curry - I think this is the worst move that they can make. They are caving into fan pressure, trying to be cute, or being cheap either way it is the wrong decision.

20. Evander Ziggy Hood - I guess I am a hood fan. Explanation above.

ugg I don't even wanna think about it.

detfan
04-23-2009, 02:29 PM
1-1 Aaron Curry OLB/ILB - Played in both 4-3 and Nickel in College, and for those statistical guys out there, nfl defenses play nickel 60% of the time(in case you didn't know Schwartz is a statistical guy).

1-20 Ziggy DT - After trading Redding DT is probably our biggest need. And while I'd love to trade up to 11 or 12 to get Raji (if hes still available) we'd have to give up at least both our 3rd rounders so our next best option is Ziggy. Hes got the size Schwartz loves and we'll need a future replacement for Grady Jackson.

2-33 Louis Delmas S - This might be a homer pick (WMU alum) but he would add some much needed help (even after our free agent signings). Another possibility here would be Vontae Davis, while we did pick up some decent CB's we don't have a top guy and Davis could easily be that guy.

3-65 Duke Robinson OG - After reading through Analysis of Jeff Backus thread
(http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32686) I have to think that we just need some help in the middle of the line and Duke can easily become a staple that holds our line together.

3-82 T.J. Lang OL - I still think we need more help with the middle of our line, and while I'd love to take a center here, I just don't think there will be one with good value at this pick.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
This is what i hope for

Our defense needs playmakers and solid starters. So

1. Arron Curry and set him as the MLB
1b. Vontae Davis- automatically our starting CB and will be solid in this league
2. Ron Brace- starting DT
3. Duke Robinson (i doubt he'll be there) or Phil Loadholt
3b. Patrick Chung
6. Kory Sheets as either a kick returner and RB to back up Smith
6. Henry Melton- decent pass rusher

TheDoctor8
04-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Really I have no idea what the Lions are gonna do at #1.

1. Matt Stafford - I'm not nearly as confident on this pick as I was a week ago. I can only hope that the Lions do the right thing here ... and draft BJ Raji :) if they take Curry I will be thoroughly upset.

20. Evander Ziggy Hood DT - Could be Jerry here as well went with Hood because of the fact he's younger and more durable.

33. Phil Loadholt - Is this the right pick? I'm not nearly as confident as I am of Ziggy hood but Loadholt reminds me alot of the guy from SD. (Can't remember his name) that is if he's even there.

65. Duke Robinson OG - These third round picks could really be anything. So frustrating I could see them go OG, CB or DE here They could also take Brinkley or Beckwith. Maybe even a TE

82. Jasper Brinkley - Could be Beckwith if he lasts that long but I still think that Schwartz wants bigger ILBers. I'm well aware that he is a slight reach here.

I fear...

1 - Aaron Curry - I think this is the worst move that they can make. They are caving into fan pressure, trying to be cute, or being cheap either way it is the wrong decision.

20. Evander Ziggy Hood - I guess I am a hood fan. Explanation above.

ugg I don't even wanna think about it.

Marcus McNeil-Auburn

woodnick
04-23-2009, 06:13 PM
My Ideal Draft:

1) Stafford, personally I'm not the biggest fan of Stafford, but QB is a huge need and if he can turn into just an above average QB then this selection will be worth it considering our struggles to find a QB in the past.

20) Michael Oher, this could easily be a trade down spot because some team will probably want to jump on a falling guy. Oher can easily turn into the best tackle from this class if he can gain some consitency as he is a dominant 2-way LT when motivated. He started for 4 years in the SEC, which apparently everybody thinks is the toughest D conference, and was absolutely stunning against top competition. If Rey Maualaga is still available then this could become a heated discussion.

33) James Lauranitis - He's another 4 yr starter who had a great career at OSU. He could become a team captain and leader of this rebuilding, much in the same fashion as Stafford would be for the O. This 2 could be a potential trading spot as teams will want to jump upf for a 1st rd guy who fell for whatever reason.

65) Lawrence Sidbury - This DE can fly and already weighs in at 266 lbs. He's a small-school guy who should have a similar impact as Avril did last yr. He should make a good ratational guy with D. White. Once again, another potential trading down spot.

82) Sammie Lee Hill - a huge DT who also has the ability to develop into a penetrator. He's already in the mold of a run-stuffing, OLine occupying NT who should be a great understudy of Grady. This pick is tough to pick and hopefully end up as BPA and could be a CB like Mickens, Big Back like Shonn Greene, or a TE lile Beckum who could stretch the middle.

6th) Ray Feinga - Big OG who should provide depth and be a guy who could develop into a starting LG once we cut Backus in a yr or 2. Good guy who stayed at home in Utah over top programs like USC, has big upside.

6th) Zach Miller - A very fast TE who is a former QB and showed great hands at his pro-day. Small school TE that should be able to step in in certain circumstances and stretch the seem.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I love that mock woodnick, but I think all 4 top OT's are gone in the top 11 picks.

WMD
04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I think I've settled on my mock.. though it's depending on a few guys who probably won't be available..

#1 - Matt Stafford, QB
#20 - Rey Maualuga, LB
#33 - Ziggy Hood, DT
#65 - Eric Wood, OL
#82 - Mike Mickens, CB
#174 - S/LB/DE
#192 - OT
#255 - WR/RB

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I think I've settled on my mock.. though it's depending on a few guys who probably won't be available..

#1 - Matt Stafford, QB
#20 - Rey Maualuga, LB
#33 - Ziggy Hood, DT
#65 - Eric Wood, OL
#82 - Mike Mickens, CB
#174 - S/LB/DE
#192 - OT
#255 - WR/RB

I like it WMD, but in the past 24 hours, I have converted to being a Laurinaitis supporter. I absolutely want him at 20 or 33. JL is a better fit in our defense than Mau (who I've always thought was a result of talent around him more than anything).

Forget Maualuga. Blame Scott for this change of opinion, haha.

woodnick
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I love that mock woodnick, but I think all 4 top OT's are gone in the top 11 picks.

Yeah, I agree. As soon as I heard about the Bills trade I told my frien that they just f***** us with Oher. The reason that I'm holding out hope for him is that the Bills are supposedly happy with moving Langston Walker to LT, so I'm hoping they go DE at 11 and RT at 28, maybe Loadholt.

But I really dont know if the top 4 OTs get past San Fran to start with.

Whats really gonna piss me off is if Buff gets the last OT at 11 and Denver grabs Rey Rey at 18, hence both of the big trades ending up screwing us at 20.

WMD
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I like it WMD, but in the past 24 hours, I have converted to being a Laurinaitis supporter. I absolutely want him at 20 or 33. JL is a better fit in our defense than Mau (who I've always thought was a result of talent around him more than anything).

Forget Maualuga. Blame Scott for this change of opinion, haha.
Forget you!

I always knew you were a white LB supremacist!

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Forget you!

I always knew you were a white LB supremacist!

I'm advocating the selection of a Buckeye. Maybe I have lost it . . . :confused:

(Wait, isn't Clay Matthews the white supremacist LB for real?)

LOLitsTomBrady
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM

#1 - Matt Stafford, QB
#20 - Rey Maualuga, LB
#33 - Ziggy Hood, DT
#65 - Eric Wood, OL
#82 - Mike Mickens, CB
#174 - S/LB/DE
#192 - OT
#255 - WR/RB

Maualuga wont be there at 20, I like the Wood pick though

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Maualuga wont be there at 20, Wood is a meh pick.

At 65 I love the Wood pick. He'll contend for our starting LG spot and be ready to take over if Raiola leaves.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
At 65 I love the Wood pick. He'll contend for our starting LG spot and be ready to take over if Raiola leaves.

i fixed it, i didnt mean to say he was a bad pick. I think we definitely need a center in the draft

SINCE1978
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Here it is gentlemen ...

#1) Matt Stafford, QB (UGA) - Personally, I want to go D (just not 70 million on a LB though) I also love LT's (but Monroe's knee is suspect/A. Smith needs a bra and a shrink) BUT I think this is the pick Detroit. Along with Megatron, Matt Stafford is the new face of the franchise, like it or not. Hopefully his rifle and gun-slinger mentality keeps our offense on the field so our worst ever defense is not getting trucked! YAHTZEE!

#20) Rey Maualuga, MLB (USC) - Forget 4-3's or 3-4's or talented USC teams to hide minor flaws or worries of off field issues ... this guy is a f#$@ing football player Detroit! The new QB of our defense ... He meets ball carriers in a bad mood, has the size/speed of any elite MLB, and in just 1 season would take a laughing stock of Lions LB's and combine with Peterson & Sims form one of the sickest middles of any D in the league. Hope he is here, love this pick! FORWARD DOWN THE FIELD!!

#33) Ron Brace, DT (BC) - Now this guy is Albert Haynesworth #2 for the Schwartz! Massive everywhere, cat quick and strong in the gaps. Some may say this is a reach, I say you have not watched enough B.C. film from the past 2 seasons. IMO he was a major catalyst in getting Raji to top 10 status. He starts day 1 and helps the LB crew roam. ROAR!! (lol)

#65) Duke Robinson, G (Oklahoma) - His stock slipped late based on Mayock's analysis of his seemingly pedestrian pass blocking skills ... I don't buy it, ask Sam Bradford! this guy is another beast who God just was molded to be a football player. He can start right away next to Backus and his run blocking ability is second to no guard (maybe no lineman) in this draft. If he falls this far I bet he would come into camp ornery and with something to prove since early on he was a 1st round prospect ... that will be to our advantage, he is the youthful size we are looking for inside. BOO-YA!!

#82) Chase Coffman, TE (Mizzou) - 2 things with this pick: Since we went the QB route we need to get Stafford a safety valve (Lord knows Michael Gaines just is not it) and Linehan uses TE's all over the place in his offense ... look for Coffman to be a BIG impact player (literally he's like 6-6) and be Stafford's new best friend. Decent enough blocker and great hands, not break-away speed but can separate from what I 've seen of him on film. Very much like a basketball player on the field and although Backus is average but serviceable, the left side is now vastly improved over last years! This guy just makes plays ... solid pick. FORWARD DOWN THE FIELD!

6th) Otis Wiley S/KR (GO GREEN!) - This guy was productive, especially as a senior ... I don't get why he is not a higher prospect, the knee must really have scared people away?! Scott says he will be here this late, in Scott we trust! (lol) A leader and a ball hawk. Not a William Moore, "knock out punch" type safety but all around he can get reps and certainly help in the punt return game if needed. ON THE BANKS OF THE RED CEDAR ... (LOL)

6th) Brandon Swain, DE (West Texas A&M) -[/B] Who you ask? This kid put up gaudy numbers as a senior .. .very active in the back field, top of the charts for sacks and TFL but many doubt he could perform at that level against top competition? We'll see, I think he could be really good with another 10-15 lbs and some solid mentorship/coaching. Could be a steal and will certainly be a special teamer. FULL OF AWESOMENESS!!

7th) Brice McCain KR/CB (Utah) - Sub 4.3 guy, we need speed and he could handle all KR ... also has experience in the defensive backfield and tons of experience. Very smart and did I mention he freak'n fly's!! ZOOOOMMM -->

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
What do you guys think of Jamon Meredith? He's sorta a OG/OT, but Scott's scouting report says he could play Left Tackle in this league potentially.

I think he'd be a great pick at 65, and he could be there then. McShay has him as an early 3rd for what it's worth . . .

SINCE1978
04-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Work out warrior (Meredith) ... and this is not the National Combine League.

Personally, I like a top 3 rated guard/center over a top 15 tackle at this spot. Millen reached to fill too many holes, that would be a classic "we need a tackle, which one is the best on the board" pick. Robinson or Urbik would start at LG picked at this spot, and like you said earlier we have like 10 spots to fill ;o) Go with the %'s ... go with the higher rated guy rather than reach for a position when it's your turn to pick.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Personally, I like a top 3 rated guard/center over a top 15 tackle at this spot. Millen reached to fill too many holes, that would be a classic "we need a tackle, which one is the best on the board" pick. Robinson or Urbik would start at LG picked at this spot, and like you said earlier we have like 10 spots to fill ;o) Go with the %'s ... go with the higher rated guy rather than reach for a position when it's your turn to pick.

I guess my opinion of Meredith is a bit higher than just a top 15 OT.

I keep hearing Duke isn't a good fit for us. Levitre or one of the top 3 centers would be best, but I am not optimistic of any of them being there at 65.

Scotty D
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
First off I don't think we stay at 20. Really think we move down off that pick if at all possible. Pick up some mid rounders and more ammo.

1A - Matthew Stafford, QB - Georgia
1B - Rey Maualuga, MLB - USC
2 - Sean Smith, CB - Utah

If we really mess up the contract with Stafford

1A - Aaron Curry, LB - Wake Forest
1B - Peria Jerry, DT - Ole Miss
2 - Duke Robinson, OG - Oklahoma

woodnick
04-24-2009, 12:40 AM

I'm pretty high on Merideth myself, and IMO there is a better chance that Merideth will be there at 65 compared to Wood, but I think they'll both be gone. I'd take Merideth as a LG over anybody in this draft not named Mack, and I like his body type and ability as I think it will give him the chance to develop into a Eric Steinbach type of OG, but he does need to get a little more of a mean streak.

5 Fingers of Death
04-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Round 1 #1: Matthew Stafford QB

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-03/45420180.jpg

Round 1 #20: Peria Jerry DT

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/PJerry.jpg

Round 2: Eric Wood, C

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2008/sub/pics/small/louisville_eric_wood.jpg

Round 3: Scott Mckillop, MLB

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f033IufawdCP/610x.jpg

Round 3: Gerald Cadogan, OT

http://blog.pennlive.com/joehermitt/2008/10/large_gerald%20cadogan.jpg

Round 5 (trade up): Mike Wallace, WR

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/87575/mike_wallace.jpg

Round 6: Joe Burnett CB

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/10988-1/UCF_BurnettJ.jpg

Round 7: Bear Pascoe, TE

http://collegian.csufresno.edu/a/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/s_bear.jpg

ironman4579
04-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Alright, here we go. I'm only doing the first three rounds. BPA after that.

1.Matt Stafford
2.Robert Ayers (I'll take Jerry if he's here)
3.Ziggy Hood (If I already got Jerry, I go Alphonso Smith)
4.Best OG available (Robinson, Levitre etc)
5.Darry Beckwith (If Brinkley was still here I might take him instead)

TheDoctor8
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Alright, here we go. I'm only doing the first three rounds. BPA after that.

1.Matt Stafford
2.Robert Ayers (I'll take Jerry if he's here)
3.Ziggy Hood (If I already got Jerry, I go Alphonso Smith)
4.Best OG available (Robinson, Levitre etc)
5.Darry Beckwith (If Brinkley was still here I might take him instead)

I like this, I say basically forget the offensive line this year and build it next year through the draft and free agency. Let Culpepper get pounded into the dirt and let Matthew watch.

Prowler
04-24-2009, 09:18 AM
loper should provide nice depth and position flexibility, so we can probably get by this year without much change(1 player in draft) on the oline. that is provided we take advantage of the other picks to shore up our dline and linebackers.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
1. Stafford
20 Peria Jerry
33 Alphonso Smith (Buchanon and Henry are ok but just don't do it for me in the future)
65 Canfield,LeVitre,Lewis (after trade down)
82 Brinkley
6th Round TE
6th Round KR
7th Round LB for special teams, Canon is done

2010 stud DE or LT. 2nd Round DE or LT.

Xiomera
04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I would REALLY like to know if we plan on playing Anthony Henry at Safety or Corner . . .

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I would REALLY like to know if we plan on playing Anthony Henry at Safety or Corner . . .

Depends on the health of Gerald Alexander probably and who we draft. They are keeping that tight lipped because we might take either a corner or a guy like Delmas or Rashad Johsnon.

Buchanon and Buchanon and smokin the reefer. (replace Buchanon with littering)

mgoblue
04-24-2009, 11:29 AM
1. Jason Smith T
20. Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT
33. Alex Mack C/James Laurinaitis ILB
65. Duke Robinson G
82. DJ Moore CB
174. Mike Wallace KR
192. Nic Harris OLB
255. Nate Davis QB

Xiomera
04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
1. Jason Smith T
20. Evander "Ziggy" Hood DT
33. Alex Mack C/James Laurinaitis ILB
65. Duke Robinson G
82. DJ Moore CB
174. Mike Wallace KR
192. Nic Harris OLB
255. Nate Davis QB

That's a tremendous overreaction to addressing our O-Line.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-24-2009, 12:56 PM
1. Stafford
20 Peria Jerry
33 Alphonso Smith (Buchanon and Henry are ok but just don't do it for me in the future)
65 Canfield,LeVitre,Lewis (after trade down)
82 Brinkley
6th Round TE
6th Round KR
7th Round LB for special teams, Canon is done

2010 stud DE or LT. 2nd Round DE or LT.

We have the same first 4 picks. Your cool in my book for that.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
There is some major hypocrisy going on these boards right now. Everyone who posted a mock has us taking Stafford, Dlinemen, MLB, an O-lineman, and a corner.

We didn't get any until the late rounds! And a lot of you guys act "pleased"? Are you kidding me? Sorry but if i had a mock where i took Pettigrew at the 20 spot instead of Maulaluga or Peria Jerry, you guys would have killed me.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
There is some major hypocrisy going on these boards right now. Everyone who posted a mock has us taking Stafford, Dlinemen, MLB, an O-lineman, and a corner.

We didn't get any until the late rounds! And a lot of you guys act "pleased"? Are you kidding me? Sorry but if i had a mock where i took Pettigrew at the 20 spot instead of Maulaluga or Peria Jerry, you guys would have killed me.

I HATE REY MAUALUGA! I am on record for not wanting him.

I was not caught off guard by Mayhew's BPA approach. He said multiple times before the draft he would do that, and he stuck by it. I'm sorry you didn't see it coming.

WMD
04-27-2009, 11:47 PM
It's not like I said "This is the way I want it, I won't be happy any other way".

I mean, I have guys that I want, but I don't think the Lions are terrible for not agreeing with my views on a certain player.

Xiomera
04-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I am not a professional talent evaluator, nor do I pretend to be. I have my opinions, and the Lions staff is paid to have theirs.

I withhold real criticism and praise until it's warranted.

ironman4579
04-28-2009, 12:05 AM

I am absolutely on record many times saying I didn't want Maualuga at all, and that he was tremendously overrated and not a first round pick.

As WMD said, I have players that I wanted, but I'm not going to kill the Lions just because they didn't take the players I liked. And as Xio said, I have my opniond, but my opinions don't get me paid. I'll reserve judgement until a few years down the road.

I'm sure everyone was quite happy with the Ernie Sims pick when it happened, but he's never been a real playmaker, and he's been downright bad the last season and a half. But I bet alot of people gave that pick an A+ when it happened.

Prowler
04-28-2009, 03:48 AM
i was projecting what i thought the lions would pick, not necessarily personal opinion. and i thought pettigrew would be taken at 11(and oher). i know we drafted pettigrew in one of our forum mocks.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I am not a professional talent evaluator, nor do I pretend to be. I have my opinions, and the Lions staff is paid to have theirs.

I withhold real criticism and praise until it's warranted.

Exactly, you have to give these guys time to show what they can do. Everyone loved them when they dealt Roy Williams. Let's allow these players to get on the field, be coached by our new coaches, and then we can rip them apart as the same old Lions if necessary.

Truthfully we can't get any worse than we have been the last 5 or 6 years. So I don't see why everyone is crying. It's not like we are Denver and just fired a Hall of Fame coach, where they should be critical, we should just figure this is a step in the right direction until proven otherwise.