PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez traded to Atlanta

tfry
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
How will this effect Atlanta and Kansas City's drafts?

Gonzo was traded for a 2010 2nd round draft pick.

T-RICH49
04-23-2009, 02:16 PM
it won't our FO was too stupid to get a pick this year :(

massaf1
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
It looks like Atlanta will draft D with nearly every pick, sprinkle in a value C or T somewhere along the line.

diabsoule
And that seems to be the end of that...

Splat

Would you rather have a 3rd this year or a second next year that is pretty much what it came down to.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Is there any law that says they cant package that pick they just go to move up in this years draft?

Matthew Jones
04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Hm, interesting. I saw that he was traded for a second round pick, but I didn't realize it wasn't in this year's draft but next year's. That's rare. I was not surprised to hear that Atlanta had traded for him, though. I like the idea of teams trading 2010 picks. They can use the 2009 pick to make their team beter and their selection lower in the round.

Don Vito
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Well Pioli hasn't really seen what he has to work with since he just joined the organization, so it might be better off for them waiting a year to see where they think improvement is needed.

bored of education
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Well Pioli hasn't really seen what he has to work with since he just joined the organization, so it might be better off for them waiting a year to see where they think improvement is needed.

Exactly

here is part of my response in the NFL forum

3. This gives Pioli and the coaching staff a chance to see what is currently on this team offensively and defensively. It gives Pioli a year to understand and find out who fits on this team and who doesn't and what needs should be address next year. KC might be running the 4-3 under this year and if things work out with it or are making the transition to a 3-4 it's hard to pick someone in the 2nd this year when he could make a better choice next year with a clearer picture.

Dark Knight01
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
How did the Chefs not get a pick in this years draft for Gonzo??

Idiots just gave him away!

San Diego Chicken
04-23-2009, 03:30 PM
For the last 10+ yars, there was no player in the AFC West that I feared more than Tony Gonzalez. Thank god he is gone.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Right, because next year's draft is completely irrelevant...

bored of education
04-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Right, because next year's draft is completely irrelevant...

lol yeah exactly.

Splat
04-23-2009, 03:35 PM
There is going to be alot of happy Chiefs fans this time next year when they have two second round picks but since people just live in the now that hate the deal.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't see how this is such a bad trade. I mean you go through the draft this year. Then do just as bad as last year and get more picks plus that 2nd and hopefully have a decent team by then.

Halsey
04-23-2009, 04:05 PM
It's a bad trade for the Chiefs. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Say this out load and listen to how it sounds if you think it was a good deal for the Chiefs: The Chiefs just traded arguably the best Tight End ever...who also happens to be REALLY popular in KC.....and a leader....and coming off a highly productive year...while catching passes from multiple sub-par QB's...to a team that likely will be at least mediocre next year.

D-Rod
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Didn't give him away at all...

Have a little patience, it's still a second round pick, and the Chiefs aren't going to be a Superbowl team over night.

As a Falcons fan, I'm pretty lukewarm. Love having Gonzo, he will make our offense ridiculous. But a 2nd rounder for someone with two or three years left is somewhat hard to bear.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
It's a bad trade for the Chiefs. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Say this out load and listen to how it sounds if you think it was a good deal for the Chiefs: The Chiefs just traded arguably the best Tight End ever...who also happens to be REALLY popular in KC.....and a leader....and coming off a highly productive year...while catching passes from multiple sub-par QB's...to a team that likely will be at least mediocre next year.

I am not in denial I just know that with everything he did last year they were still one of the worse teams in the league. Why keep him around when you have no chance at competing? I think getting a future pick when you are in a rebuilding stage is a good deal.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Being the best TE in the last few years doesnt make you the best ever. Is he even as good as Jason Witten or Antonio Gates at this point? I say get something for him before he's over the hill. I like the deal but would have rather they get a 2nd this year. As i did point out they could still move that pick before this draft so let's see how it goes.

Splat
04-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Is he even as good as Jason Witten or Antonio Gates at this point?

Yes yes he is.

T-RICH49
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
There is going to be alot of happy Chiefs fans this time next year when they have two second round picks but since people just live in the now that hate the deal.

yeah alot of good those 2 2nds will do one year from now.not like we need help now

Splat
04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
yeah alot of good those 2 2nds will do one year from now.not like we need help now

You act like that second would have put us in the playoffs news flash the Chiefs are not making the playoffs this season.

Halsey
04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I just don't see why the Chiefs couldn't have gotten another low round pick, or maybe a backup quality player that they could use. I'm glad they didn't, but it just seems like they gave up a really good and popular player for a pick that will be no better than the 45th pick in the Draft next year. That high of a pick is nothing close to be a safe bet to get an impact player.

D-Rod
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
For the first time in ages, someone on ESPN just made a good point, albeit one they heard from the Falcons:

Losing the pick in 2010 is so much more tolerable because they expect to get some pretty good compensatory picks in 2010, for guys like Foxworth and Boley. That gives them the freedom, for example, to trade a 3rd and 4th to move back up into the 2nd, or something similar.

Very clever move from Dimitroff (for a change!)

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Could this mean Brandon Pettigrew has a chance to fall to the Ravens?? :eek: Eagles want Moreno and the Bills need help at DE and LT. Should be interesting.