PDA

View Full Version : Jake Delhomme Re-Signs...5 years, $42.5 million

Sniper
04-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Link? Link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4092544

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Nalej
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

-Albert Einstein. What a smart man.

bearsfan_51
04-23-2009, 02:18 PM
What...the....****?

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
LOL, poor Panthers... As long as Delhomme is the QB, they are never going to win the Superbowl, IMO. Especailly now that he is deteriorating.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Looks like the reason was to free up cap space. Obviously the $20 mill gauranteed was to compensate him for changing it up, but that is a whole lot of dough. They are off the hook sooner though if they need to cut him, just more up front and less against the cap.

Interesting move.

Beans
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
relevant

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/beansdooma/delhomme.png

Borat
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Silly Sniper, you put the decimal point in the wrong place. It should read:

Jake Delhomme Re-Signs...5 years, $4.25 million

bored of education
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
If Cassel has a good year this is the type of contract I expect for him. :(

CC.SD
04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Smash and Dash just put their heads through a wall.

Brent
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
So much for the Matt Moore era.

Flyboy
04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
LOL, thanks a lot Carolina!

Hahahaha.

Don Vito
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
This is puzzling.

diabsoule
04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Silly Sniper, you put the decimal point in the wrong place. It should read:

Jake Delhomme Re-Signs...5 years, $4.25 million

Silly Borat, you put the decimal in the wrong spot. It should read:

Jake Delhomme Re-signs... 5 years, $.425 million.

Basically an extravagant way of saying he signed a 5 year deal worth $425,000.

Crickett
04-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Unfortunately, there really was no decimal. Jake Delhomme re-signs... 5 years, $425 million dollars.

Take that A-Rod!

Brent
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately, there really was no decimal. Jake Delhomme re-signs... 5 years, $425 million dollars.

Take that A-Rod!
You all got it wrong, it was 5 years, 425 million hot dogs.

TitleTown088
04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
What...the....****?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Matthew Jones
04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
What...the....****?

My thoughts exactly. This is mind-boggling. "What is this I don't even..."

Five picks in the playoff loss last year, and he's 34. What were they thinking?

CC.SD
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Where is Blindsite to tell us how amazing and brilliant this deal is?

Does this mean Carolina is officially not going to be grooming anyone for a while? Did they see the Arizona game?

xooberon
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM
cap move...

bearsfan_51
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
cap move...
A cap move would be to cut Jake Delhomme, not give him another 20 million dollars.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 03:09 PM
A cap move would be to cut Jake Delhomme, not give him another 20 million dollars.

It saves them cap space in the short-term...

eaglesalltheway
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
It saves them cap space in the short-term...

And gives them a ****** QB in the long term, lol.

xooberon
04-23-2009, 03:13 PM

not really because then we wouldn't have a QB. i agree 20 million is too much, but it will at least save us some money so whatever. this deal's probably filled with a load of incentive deals as well, so it's not as bad as it looks.

PoopSandwich
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM

He deserves more like 42 dollars and 5 cents.

Borat
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
One year for every pick he threw in the playoff game.

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
This move annoys me. I've never thought Jake Delhomme was a good QB, so for the team to extend him and give him that much cash hits a nerve. The ONLY way this move gets justified is if they're clearing cap space to make a move that no one saw coming.

GB12
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
This move annoys me. I've never thought Jake Delhomme was a good QB, so for the team to extend him and give him that much cash hits a nerve. The ONLY way this move gets justified is if they're clearing cap space to make a move that no one saw coming.That move was probably just not trading Peppers.

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
That move was probably just not trading Peppers.

That would imply at some point they thought that a deal would actually be worked out to trade Peppers, and if that's the case they're bigger clowns than I thought.

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
20mill in guaranteed money isn't terrible for a middle of the road QB. Jake isn't going to win many games on his own and he'll probably cost us one or two in a season, but for the other 14 he's a good game manager and this will keep him in Carolina for the remainder of his career spending probably a bunch of those years (I think he's got MAX 2 years) on the bench.

From what I've heard the 42.5 million includes 20 million in straight bonus money which will be 4mill against the cap per year. The other 22 million is made up of base salary, LTBE bonuses (Which are always counted against the cap) and incentives.

42.5 is the maximum he can possibly cost the team over the next 5 years.

He's more likely to cost the team under 8.5 million a year which isn't that painful.

The team needed to sign him because he was heading into the final year of his deal and it frees up a bit of cap space to sign some draft picks.

This isn't a bad move for the team, it's not a move forward and I openly have stated my wish here fore a new QB, so save the homer hate, it's just a sideways move so the team has some form of security at Quarterback for the next few years and some added space to move around this year.

Shahin
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
damn, sucks for you guys.

20mill in guaranteed money isn't terrible for a middle of the road QB.

i wouldn't like giving 10 million guaranteed for a middle of the road qb.

D-Rod
04-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh dear, Carolina.

D-Rod
04-23-2009, 04:26 PM
this will keep him in Carolina for the remainder of his career spending probably a bunch of those years (I think he's got MAX 2 years) on the bench.

[...]

He's more likely to cost the team under 8.5 million a year which isn't that painful.

So, you're advocating spending 8.5 p.a. on a backup QB at some point?

Shahin
04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
i wouldn't even call him a middle of the road qb, now that i think about it.

brat316
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
They'll cut him in 3 years, next year Panthers are going to draft a qb.

Whistler6
04-23-2009, 04:30 PM
The Panthers resign Jake Delhomme for 5 years ...(chuckle)...

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Blindsite, you're justifying giving a guy that based on your own post, you expect to cost you 2 games a year, isn't going to singlehandedly win you any games, and that won't start but 2 years of the contract 20 million guaranteed?

What color is the sky in your world?

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Blindsite, you're justifying giving a guy that based on your own post, you expect to cost you 2 games a year, isn't going to singlehandedly win you any games, and that won't start but 2 years of the contract 20 million guaranteed?

Panther Blue apparently...

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
damn, sucks for you guys.

i wouldn't like giving 10 million guaranteed for a middle of the road qb.

You must be pissed about Campbell then huh.

So, you're advocating spending 8.5 p.a. on a backup QB at some point?

It won't be that much.

The contract figures released every year when someone signs include every single dollar that can possibly be earned in that period. There's likely clauses in their for playoff appearances, games played, yards, TDs, INTs, efficiency that he's never going to hit.

The only thing we know about his contract is the team will get hit with 4 million in cap money no matter what (pro-ration of the bonus) + whatever his base salary is, THEN whatever bonus he gets.

If he's a backup he'll likely cost 5.5 or 6 million which isn't too bad and thats only on the provision that the team doesn't extend him in that time or cut him altogether. All we know right now is Carolina has a serviceable QB in some capacity for 5 more years. How long he stays and how much he costs the team and in what capacity is unknown and isn't a reason the team's front office should be criticised.

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM

What I advocated was having some stability at the position for the next five years. I didn't say Delhomme was my savior or even that I WANTED him. Because I don't and I've posted extensively about that.

I'm saying the team is making a sideways move that is, staying put until something better comes along.

Like it or not, loving matt moore for what he did in two games doesn't immediately make him the option. Yeah I'd like to see him get a shot, but if he hasn't progressed or is plain and simple, not good enough than the team needs some security. Having Delhomme for 7-8.2 mill a year is a good move for the franchise no matter how you try to say it isn't. An average QB is better than no QB.

stephenson86
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
almost as ridonculous as kwame harris' contract last year

Shahin
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
You must be pissed about Campbell then huh.

not a skins fan, just a Sean Taylor fan.

as a raiders and bengals fan, i have a lot more to be pissed about.

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Like it or not, loving matt moore for what he did in two games doesn't immediately make him the option. Yeah I'd like to see him get a shot, but if he hasn't progressed or is plain and simple, not good enough than the team needs some security. Having Delhomme for 7-8.2 mill a year is a good move for the franchise no matter how you try to say it isn't. An average QB is better than no QB.

This has nothing to do with Matt Moore. I think he's a disaster waiting to happen and wish other Panther fans would get off that party line.

This has to do with you justifying giving a QB 20 mill guaranteed that clearly isn't worth anywhere near that much. And Jake Delhomme at this point, I wouldn't even call an average QB.

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
almost as ridonculous as kwame harris' contract last year

He had 2 bad games last year. One against Tampa and one against Arizona, it's not that terrible of a move to keep a known commodity when there's no affordable upgrade out there.

stephenson86
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
He had 2 bad games last year. One against Tampa and one against Arizona, it's not that terrible of a move to keep a known commodity when there's no affordable upgrade out there.

true but it is still a lot of money to put on a guy who isnt the focus of your offense anymore

Crickett
04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I was going to take that quote out of my sig at some point. I still probably will, but its going to take a lot more to pry it out than it would have before.

Thank you Blindsite.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I was going to take that quote out of my sig at some point. I still probably will, but its going to take a lot more to pry it out than it would have before.

Thank you Blindsite.

Haha that signature is gold.

Chucky
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
This news offsets the bad news of Gonzalez coming to the NFC South

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Blindsite is so pissed that the other Panther fan that's posted in this thread doesn't agree with him, he just hit me with negative reputation and his reason was....

Read the post you jackass

Guess he doesn't understand that I read his post and think he's an idiot.

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
not a skins fan, just a Sean Taylor fan.

as a raiders and bengals fan, i have a lot more to be pissed about.

Raiders and Bengals, man gee, I'm sorry, remember suicide is never the answer ok?

This has nothing to do with Matt Moore. I think he's a disaster waiting to happen and wish other Panther fans would get off that party line.

This has to do with you justifying giving a QB 20 mill guaranteed that clearly isn't worth anywhere near that much. And Jake Delhomme at this point, I wouldn't even call an average QB.

Then answer me this:
If you have a player whose strengths, weaknesses, tendencies and nature you know who has a great chemistry with the players around him who costs you anywhere from 4.7-8 million and only ever 8.2 million if he performs at an amazingly good level and you have approximately 25c in cap space due to a defensive end being a moron why would you get rid of him for players who aren't as good, or won't be as good?

There's no QB on the free agent market right not who know the system or could adapt in time to be an upgrade over Delhomme.

Unless you'd rather we'd signed Losman, or Simms?

There's no one in the draft we can afford to pick up this year either, Bomar is going to cost a second because at the Panthers' draft position 3rd round will be too late.

In that time the team needs to find a replacement nickel cornerback or at least some insurance in case CJ can't fill the role and a guard backup who can play.

This all has to be done at a discount.

This is the best POSSIBLE, PRACTICAL move the team had at it's disposal. The cap this year is something like 118 million dollars. The team at least has some stability at the position, if he wasn't extended he'd have cost the team more this season and been a free agent next year, if he walked we'd have McCown and Moore and that's it.

Vox Populi
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Isn't Delhomme like mid-thirties already? This contract must pay out so that they can cut him easily if he plays like **** this year or next.

JPF
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
No one ever said get rid of him, what was said was don't give him 20 million guaranteed because he's clearly not worth it.

Isn't Delhomme like mid-thirties already? This contract must pay out so that they can cut him easily if he plays like **** this year or next.

He's 34.

I think it's time to call a spade a spade and move on. This move isn't one I agree with as a Panther fan because I just don't see where other than a little bit of cap room, there's an upside to this move. There's not really anything else to be said.

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 04:59 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
No one ever said don't get rid of him, what was said was don't give him 20 million guaranteed because he's clearly not worth it.

It's four million a year... It's nothing for a Quarterback the cap for the 2009 season is 127 million

That's like 3% of the cap.

OMG the starting QB for a 12-4 team is costing them anywhere from 3-6% of their cap space.

He'll probably only end up costing the franchise 4 million per year for the last three of the five years unless he retires (a huge possibility) or gets cut(a huge possibility), or if they don't restructure him in that time (which they will do when he gets benched).

Never have I seen such blatant bull-headed will to ignore whats clear.

Panthers have a starting QB for 2 more years at most who's going to cost at most 6% of the cap space.

It's not a bad move, it's just a move, not great, not bad, just a move to keep some stability in the organisation.

bearsfan_51
04-23-2009, 05:15 PM
It's four million a year...
42.5 / 5 = 4?

abaddon41_80
04-23-2009, 05:18 PM
42.5 / 5 = 4?

Duh. Everyone knows that.

D-Unit
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
This is a smart move.

This is a smart move.

This is a smart move.

This is a ... Nope... Still doesn't sound right.

WTF?

locseti
04-23-2009, 05:37 PM
bahahahhaaa

OzTitan
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Smash and Dash just put their heads through a wall.

Why would LenDale White and Chris Johnson mind?

;)

wicket
04-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I honoustly thought this was a joke at first

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I gave this a couple minutes and it's still funny. this joke has real staying power.

The Unseen
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
hmm.

hmm.

srsly

AlexDown
04-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Thank you Blindsite.

Everyone makes bad calls, but man, that one stings.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Garrard signed a seven-year deal worth $60mm last season ($20mm guaranteed).

Romo signed a six-year deal worth $67.5mm two seasons ago ($30mm guaranteed)

How exactly does Delhomme get this contract? I'm interested in seeing the specifics but it just doesn't make sense.

D-Unit
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Garrard signed a seven-year deal worth $60mm last season ($20mm guaranteed).

Romo signed a six-year deal worth $67.5mm two seasons ago ($30mm guaranteed)

How exactly does Delhomme get this contract? I'm interested in seeing the specifics but it just doesn't make sense.
After seeing those numbers... I think.. hmm... Matt Stafford, 6 years, $80M, $40M guaranteed. Wow.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
After seeing those numbers... I think.. hmm... Matt Stafford, 6 years, $80M, $40M guaranteed. Wow.

It's truly ridiculous. I've been saying it for awhile, there's no way a new CBA gets ratified unless they deal with the rookie contract problem.

abaddon41_80
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Wait, this isn't a joke?

thetedginnshow
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
hahahahaha

Brodeur
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
This story isn't from The Onion?

art vandelay
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Well I guess this makes sense. The Panthers are also interested in JP Losman so I guess they like QB's who throw alot of INT's.

Cigaro
04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
WTF? Resigning him, then resigning him for five years, then resigning him for $42.5M?

WTF?

stephenson86
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
on nfl.com it says they have enquired about losman???

Paranoidmoonduck
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
42.5 / 5 = 4?

No one told you? We had a meeting about it last week.

art vandelay
04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Absolutely hilarious that anyone would want Losman. I don't think people realize just how bad he was last season. If you ever feel like throwing up, feel free to watch the Jets and Dolphins games from last season. I guarantee Losman will be out of the league in 2 years at the most.

LonghornsLegend
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
20mill in guaranteed money isn't terrible for a middle of the road QB. Jake isn't going to win many games on his own and he'll probably cost us one or two in a season, but for the other 14 he's a good game manager and this will keep him in Carolina for the remainder of his career spending probably a bunch of those years (I think he's got MAX 2 years) on the bench.

From what I've heard the 42.5 million includes 20 million in straight bonus money which will be 4mill against the cap per year. The other 22 million is made up of base salary, LTBE bonuses (Which are always counted against the cap) and incentives.

42.5 is the maximum he can possibly cost the team over the next 5 years.

The team needed to sign him because he was heading into the final year of his deal and it frees up a bit of cap space to sign some draft picks.

This isn't a bad move for the team, it's not a move forward and I openly have stated my wish here fore a new QB, so save the homer hate, it's just a sideways move so the team has some form of security at Quarterback for the next few years and some added space to move around this year.

hahahahahahahahah, I'm sorry but I just knew this was coming from you...Ironic that everyone sees this as a terrible move except you for the most part, what a shocker.

I originally thought this thread was a joke before I clicked it, when I realized it wasn't I figured you would be somewhere talking about how it's not a bad move lol.

Smokey Joe
04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
This is hilarious. Gives me more reason not to like the Panthers.

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
I want the panthers to now sign the Rex Cannon and Losman so they can have a trifecta of stupid, big armed QBs who like to make dumb passes. They could just rotate them and hope one of them gets hot, when it fails it'll at least be entertaining, crowds love pick six's.

E-Man
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
I didn't know Patrick Stewart was a Panther fan. Just look at the poor guy's reaction when he heard this news.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i212/Uber-Dudditz/screwedup.gif

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
42.5 / 5 = 4?

No one told you? We had a meeting about it last week.

We're talking about the bonus and the pro-ration therein...

hahahahahahahahah, I'm sorry but I just knew this was coming from you...Ironic that everyone sees this as a terrible move except you for the most part, what a shocker.

I originally thought this thread was a joke before I clicked it, when I realized it wasn't I figured you would be somewhere talking about how it's not a bad move lol.

Are you so interested in jumping on me that you don't read.

It's a move to free up money, Delhomme is costing the fanchise less per year now than he did a year ago so the team's not exactly going backwards financially.

Like I pointed out at most it'll be 6% of the cap space to ensure the team remains at least competitive for the next few years at least. Unless 12-4 isn't competitive. It was on the back of the RBs but Delhomme played well in a few games and can only really be blamed for the Arizona meltdown, then again nothing went right that game, on any side of the ball.

I don't like him long term, but there's no possible way carolina can do better this year or next so the move makes sense from that perspective.

bearsfan_51
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
We're talking about the bonus and the pro-ration therein...
Ok, so break it down. How does 42.5 million with 20 million guaranteed break down to 4 million per year (which, of course, assumes he's going to play for the next 6 years which is insane). Seriously, give me the breakdown, because I think you pulled that number completely out of your ass.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Ivan_Drago_v_Rocky.jpg

I will break you.

SimonRath
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Ivan_Drago_v_Rocky.jpg

I will break you.

that picture is filled with so much roids its not even funny

MetSox17
04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
It's a move to free up money, Delhomme is costing the fanchise less per year now than he did a year ago so the team's not exactly going backwards financially.

Like I pointed out at most it'll be 6% of the cap space to ensure the team remains at least competitive for the next few years at least. Unless 12-4 isn't competitive. It was on the back of the RBs but Delhomme played well in a few games and can only really be blamed for the Arizona meltdown, then again nothing went right that game, on any side of the ball.

I don't like him long term, but there's no possible way carolina can do better this year or next so the move makes sense from that perspective.

What the Panthers just did is dig a hole to get some dirt to fill another hole. At the end of the day, they're literally gonna have to pay for this idiotic contract, and it may not be this year or next, but they will. Aside from the fact that it clears up cap space (for what, a WHOLE year?), why in the hell would you give that much money, and signing bonus, to a guy who has shown on more than one occasion that his skills are deteriorating at an incredible pace?

Giving him this much money will just sink the franchise in a bigger hole than they already were with him at quarterback. Not only will your salary cap eventually have to pay for this mess, but you're delaying the inevitable, which is finding a young, skilled quarterback to eventually take the position in Carolina.

Menardo75
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I guess the Panthers don't want to be contenders for a while.

BlindSite
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Ok, so break it down. How does 42.5 million with 20 million guaranteed break down to 4 million per year (which, of course, assumes he's going to play for the next 6 years which is insane). Seriously, give me the breakdown, because I think you pulled that number completely out of your ass.

We're talking solely about the guaranteed money, the 20 million is spread over the length of the contract as far as cap hit goes. That it what we were talking about.

What the Panthers just did is dig a hole to get some dirt to fill another hole. At the end of the day, they're literally gonna have to pay for this idiotic contract, and it may not be this year or next, but they will. Aside from the fact that it clears up cap space (for what, a WHOLE year?), why in the hell would you give that much money, and signing bonus, to a guy who has shown on more than one occasion that his skills are deteriorating at an incredible pace?

Giving him this much money will just sink the franchise in a bigger hole than they already were with him at quarterback. Not only will your salary cap eventually have to pay for this mess, but you're delaying the inevitable, which is finding a young, skilled quarterback to eventually take the position in Carolina.
We're arguing the same point here.

I think Carolina should've drafted the future at quarterback a long time ago, when the team was competitive and had the time to get one up to speed. Can you imagine for example how well poised the team would be right now with Trent Edwards stepping into the starting role with the backs and offensive line we have?

I know the team isn't doing a damn thing toward the future and I don't think that's a good move, however.

The team's lack of foresight has lead to the team having Matt Moore, who's still an unknown commodity and McCown a career backup as the only options. If Delhomme wasn't given a contract the team wouldn't have the money to sign some depth post draft and wouldn't have had a quaterback into 2010. I don't care what team you're on not having a starting QB is never a good option.

I'll agree Delhomme is turnover prone, has too long a memory and melted down completely against Arizona.

However, there have been times when he's lead the team as recently as last season from being down, to victories. There's been times when he's played extremely well and there's not a player on the team who doesn't support Jake.

Yes, I'd love to have a guy good enough to sling it against Manning and Brady, but instead the team has ensured, that they have a quarterback who at the very least can manage a game efficently and who based on his track record, can lead some comebacks every now and then.

The offense right now is pretty much feed the backs and then feed Smith. It's been pretty successful. people forget so quickly Carolina was 12-4 last year and although he wasn't the focus of the offense he was a big part.

This is an insurance policy more than a move for the future in my opinion the money isn't that high. As I mentioned the cap is up to nearly 130 million and the Panthers have the offensive line, running backs, Smith, secondary and linebackers signed for another 2 seasons. The crux of the 12-4 team is there 21 of 22 starters. Delhomme's contract isn't cripling the team it won't even be a blip on the radar for the front office.

BradysKnee
04-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Jake Delhomme sucks.

SimonRath
04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Jake Delhomme sucks.

he doesn't suck,
hes jus..... not good..

bearsfan_51
04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
We're talking solely about the guaranteed money, the 20 million is spread over the length of the contract as far as cap hit goes. That it what we were talking about.
Fail.

You think guaranteed money is the only money that counts against the cap? His base salary is going to count too. Plus, the bonus money only spreads out over the course of the contract if he plays for the full 5 years, which he obviously won't.

This counts more against the cap than you think.

Monomach
04-24-2009, 03:08 AM
HO.
LY.
CRAP.

This makes me very unhappy, because it means that re-signing Cutler is going to take something like 13 years, 342 million.

JT Jag
04-24-2009, 03:11 AM
A five-year deal? Seriously?!

Isn't Delhomme, like, 36 or something?

Addict
04-24-2009, 03:15 AM
A five-year deal? Seriously?!

Isn't Delhomme, like, 36 or something?

doesn't matter, Jake is the Highlander.

Caddy
04-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Dear oh Dear. This is just a terrible move for the Panthers. Maybe something like a 2 year, 10 million extension, but 5 years and 42 million is wayyyyy to much.

Addict
04-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Dear oh Dear. This is just a terrible move for the Panthers. Maybe something like a 2 year, 10 million extension, but 5 years and 42 million is wayyyyy to much.

he's 34 years old, so chances are he'll retire before the last 2 or 3 years of a season.