PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to next year....Colt McCoy

3pac
04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Anyone have some good info on him? How's he seem to be stacking up so far as a prospect, and does he appear at this time to be ahead of Sam Bradford?

Brent
04-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I have a feeling he'll almost as polarizing as Sanchez.

Mr.Regular
04-23-2009, 03:24 PM
At this point, I don't think he is anywhere near Bradford as a prospect. He falls almost under the Tim Tebow category, where he's a great college player littered with question marks but possesses that 'it factor'.

Obviously it's way too early to make judgement on him, but I'd say with where he is right now he'd be a 2nd/3rd rounder.

San Diego Chicken
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I think McCoy is a third round type of prospect. He would be the 4th best QB in this year's crop.

I may get flamed for this, but I don't think Bradford is a first round prospect either. I have all sorts of questions about his mobility, the system he plays in, arm strength and size/toughness to take the hits in the NFL. To me, he is no different than Colt Brennan.

Cicero
04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Mid rounder at best.

LonghornsLegend
04-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I think McCoy is a third round type of prospect. He would be the 4th best QB in this year's crop.

I may get flamed for this, but I don't think Bradford is a first round prospect either. I have all sorts of questions about his mobility, the system he plays in, arm strength and size/toughness to take the hits in the NFL. To me, he is no different than Colt Brennan.

That's actually what I was going to say, Bradford has a million questions swarming around him, I don't get why people act like he's a slam dunk #1 prospect.

All those are legit questions about him that he needs to answer, I'm not buying people who act like he'll be this incredible prospect.

I think McCoy can make it late 1st, his size will be the biggest knock, but people will fall in love with his intangibles and we have already seen how things like that can boost your stock.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Bradford's like 6'5, 225. If he can't take a hit, he's a panty boy.

Arm strength isn't end all, be all. I really don't see how Sanchez is a 1st rounder but McCoy wouldn't be.

And don't be surprised if Brennan ends up a starter in the league sooner than later.

San Diego Chicken
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Bradford's like 6'5, 225. If he can't take a hit, he's a panty boy.

Arm strength isn't end all, be all. I really don't see how Sanchez is a 1st rounder but McCoy wouldn't be.

And don't be surprised if Brennan ends up a starter in the league sooner than later.

I wouldn't be surprised either, I'm a huge Colt Brennan fan and he should have been picked earlier. But it doesn't make sense to me that he can be torn apart for being a college system QB, throwing sidearm, and being immobile when Bradford does all the same things. At least the Run and Shoot has been tried in the NFL a few times.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd sort of compare McCoy to Sanchez, similar size and arm strength. I think McCoy is a very underrated athlete.

3pac
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Well it seems like he's not as hyped up as I expected him to be. If that's the case, who are the #1 and 2 QB prospects as of now for next year? I thought for sure it'd be him and Bradford.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Well it seems like he's not as hyped up as I expected him to be. If that's the case, who are the #1 and 2 QB prospects as of now for next year? I thought for sure it'd be him and Bradford.

Bradford and Jevan Snead would be ahead of him now in my opinion.

San Diego Chicken
04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I'd sort of compare McCoy to Sanchez, similar size and arm strength. I think McCoy is a very underrated athlete.

Sanchez has much better arm strength than McCoy. McCoy is more of a dual threat. And Sanchez is a much better pro prospect.

McCoy is more of a Jake Plummer type of player I think.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Sanchez has much better arm strength than McCoy. McCoy is more of a dual threat. And Sanchez is a much better pro prospect.

McCoy is more of a Jake Plummer type of player I think.

That can't be good.

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

I may get flamed for this, but I don't think Bradford is a first round prospect either. I have all sorts of questions about his mobility, the system he plays in, arm strength and size toughhness to take the hits in the NFL. To me, he is no different than Colt Brennan.

Yeah, I really don't see too much different between Bradford and Jason White. Other than Bradford's knees aren't made of glass...

As for McCoy...too short, too small, not a strong enough arm, played in a gimmicky system. Right now, I'd say he's a third rounder at best. Tebow is a better prospect at this point.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM
How is McCoy too short?? He's minimum, 6'2. Probably closer to 6'3.

A third rounder at best?

Come on now, I think it's too early for some of you to make evaluations on what type of pro prospect McCoy will be, since it appears many of you don't or haven't seen him play.

Bradford and McCoy will be gone in the 1st round, easily.

Staubach12
04-23-2009, 06:42 PM
He's not the prospect Bradford is at this point, but he's most certainly better than Tebow. Tebow is a nightmare as a prospect apart from his intangibles. McCoy actually has a decent arm, good accuracy. Yes, he's playing in a gimicky system, and yes he's a bit of an overall gimicky player, but I think he can succeed in the NFL. I want to wait to make that call based on this next year.

the decider13
04-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I've watched McCoy a few times a year since he has been at Texas, and I think he is a great college QB with the "it" factor. I still think that Bradfords pro prospects all come down to how he does this year. One of his major knocks was that he was protected by a phenominal O line and had tons of time to throw. He also threw a lot of easy routes. He lost quite a bit of his offense this year(kept Greshem, Williams and Murry) so it will be interesting to see how he responds.

He played great last year, and I think the term "system QB" is thrown around too often. Every QB is a system QB, Tom Brady is successful in the Patriots system.

DiG
04-23-2009, 06:48 PM
i love me some mccoy. i think right now hes a solid 2nd rounder but with a good year i dont see why he couldnt sneak into the first round on some teams boards where he might better fit the system.

Mr. Hero
04-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Snead
Bradford
Tebow
McCoy

and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. McCoy's got a **** ton of question marks against him, size, his arm, the offense he comes from, how clutch he is, his decision making. I really haven't gotten excited by him as a prospect yet. IMO Snead is the most prototypical franchise QB if he doesn't get hurt or struggle really badly this season. He's got the size, arm, comes from one of the most pro-style offenses in the SEC, and has shown himself to play well in big games at big times. He's my number QB by a good margin for next years' draft.

BuddyCHRIST
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I don't really like any of next year's QB prospects. I love McCoy and Bradford as college players but I don't see either of them as 1st rounders. If Snead has a big year he could be legit but he was too inconsistent last year for me to be sold on him.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Remember, Snead couldn't beat out McCoy for the starting gig at Texas and had to transfer to Ol Miss, Mr. Hero.

And Colt sure did look clutch in that Oklahoma game last year.

To me he's a solid 1st rounder, much better than Brady Quinn, and I already like him better than Sanchez, despite the difference in arm strength.

What Tebow has over most college QBs is his vision, the kid surveys the field like a point guard and buys time with his legs for his WRs to get open.

Tebow may not be taken in the 1st because of Urban Meyer's spread system, but Tebow is a pure QB and was the top passing QB recruit in the nation as a prep.

I'm not gonna downgrade him because he has the size and athletic ability to run the ball too.

You let Tebow learn a pro system for 2 years, and he's money.

LonghornsLegend
04-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Tebow is a better prospect at this point.

Now that is just hilarious.

Colt is at least projected to play QB at the next level, there are numerous people who don't even think Tebow is an NFL QB yet, with that being said he's hardly better then anyone as a QB prospect at this point.

BuddyCHRIST
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
What are you talking about? Tebow RARELY makes reads, he almost always throws it to his primary option, Meyer's offense has made alot of QB's looks great. And he didn't play in any better of an offense in HS, he still played out of the shotgun 90% of the time and ran just as often. And Tebow is not exactly a real smart kid.

And McCoy is probably about 6'1" and comes out of a spread offense too, he's a great college QB but his game just doesn't project real well. All these short drag patterns spread teams run all day to wide open WR's don't prepare you to make NFL throws. The fact that he beat out Snead is pointless because all that proves is he was better at running that spread offense.

Pretty much the same goes for Bradford, he's a great college player but that offense and his release make projecting him difficult.

With so many teams running the spread and until a QB coming out of an offense like that has success the number of legit QB prospects is gonna be slim

Don Vito
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Remember, Snead couldn't beat out McCoy for the starting gig at Texas and had to transfer to Ol Miss, Mr. Hero.

True, but players do develop. Matt Cassel got beat out by Matt Leinart and was selected 200 something picks after Leinart, look at them both now. Leinart could be successful, I'm just saying...

Brent
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, a RS freshman who had been in the system for a whole year should have been beat out by a guy who just showed up on campus. UT fans will even tell you that he looked like he wasnt ready to go out there during that K-State game.

Malaka
04-23-2009, 08:29 PM
No one should be comparing Mark Sanchez and Colt McCoy... Mark Sanchez is a waaaaaaay better pro prospect than McCoy.

Sanchez IMO still has a stronger arm, and both are about equal in terms of accuracy, what separates them as prospects is very simple...

Mark Sanchez- Excellent mechanics, Pro Style Offense at USC
Colt McCoy- Side-Armish release, Spread Offense

McCoy is a mid 2nd rounder, to 3rd rounder to me nothing more, He is better than Tebow as a QB prospect, I like Tebow as a football player... but his mechanics, average arm, and his ability to make reads, just don't allow me to think he'll be more than a back-up/trick play/wildcat QB.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
What Tebow has over most college QBs is his vision, the kid surveys the field like a point guard and buys time with his legs for his WRs to get open.

I should neg rep myself for the typo!!

I was referring to McCoy, not Tebow, in this particular sentence.

I stand by the rest of what I posted.

EDIT: I'll admit until a college QB comes out from that spread offense who hits it big in the pros, prospects like McCoy, Bradford, and Tebow will have question marks.

That said, I can't see any of those three lasting past the 2nd round, with Bradford and McCoy being gone in the top half of the 1st IMO.

Also, if Snead can excel in a more conventional style offense at Ol Miss, I have little doubt that McCoy could do the same. Head to head at Texas, McCoy flat out made more plays than Snead, which to me says more about Colt's playmaking abilities than my thinking he's simply a better spread QB than Snead.

Overall, this next crop of QBs in 2010 will say a lot about how top prep prospects choose colleges with the intent of preparing themselves for the pros.

If Bradford and McCoy don't hit it big the pros, even though Oklahoma and Texas had more traditional elements in their passing offense than the Gators, it may signal that the offense is not suited towards developing pro QB prospects.

Personally, I think Bradford, MCCoy, and even Tebow will be the exceptions to the rule.

Race for the Heisman
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I think Tebow will, in all likelihood, have a career comparable to Byron Leftwich if he is given a shot at quarterback. He can be someone's number one and he can lead you to a championship if you've got a defense.

As for McCoy, I'm a fan. I think he'd be a mid-second in this draft as the fourth quarterback between Freeman and Bomar. I have McCoy as the #2 senior next year behind Snead and #4 overall (for quarterbacks) behind Snead, *Clausen, and *Bradford, in that order.

For superlative comparisons:

Snead → Jay Cutler
Clausen → Matt Ryan
Bradford → Chad Pennington
McCoy → Tony Romo

Tebow → Byron Leftwich

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't like McCoy as a prospect...he plays in a spread offense in which most of his throws are under 20 yards. They throw a ton of bubble screens and short in's, slants, and hitch routes. This was the same system Vince Young came from too. With that said, he does have excellent leadership, and he is a very intelligent football player. IMO, he is a 6'2 version of Stefan LeFors.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll admit for me it's harder than hell to project college QBs to the next level, I have to trust my eyes and what I see them do on the field.

Okay, I know McCoy and Snead were both recruited to play at Texas by Mack Brown, and McCoy's play and elevation to starter after the departure of Vince Young led to Snead's transfer to Ol Miss.

So to me that indicates head to head, however you want to evaluate talent, McCoy outplayed Snead.

Now, when I look at last year's stats for McCoy and Snead, I have no idea based on what Snead did at Ol Miss that he's a better prospect than McCoy.

Snead: 2762 yds, 56% completion, 8.45 ypa, 26 TDs, 13 Ints

McCoy: 3859 yds, 76% completion, 8.91 ypa, 34 TDs, 8 Ints

I'd even argue that Snead had better talent at WR to throw the ball.

McCoy's accuracy and ability to scramble and make plays on the run, to me, is what really separates him from most the top prospects in 2010.

Also, none of the top prospects in 2010 has elite arm strength, IMO.

Again, if I'm a team in the first round next year and I need a QB to come in and eventually lead my offense, I'd have to take a long hard look at McCoy.

And for those saying he's shorter than ideal, at the Heisman ceremony last year he and Tebow were eye to eye, so I know he's taller than 6'1.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't like McCoy as a prospect...he plays in a spread offense in which most of his throws are under 20 yards. They throw a ton of bubble screens and short in's, slants, and hitch routes. This was the same system Vince Young came from too. With that said, he does have excellent leadership, and he is a very intelligent football player. IMO, he is a 6'2 version of Stefan LeFors.

As a passer, Vince Young can't hold Colt McCoy's jock.

Not a diss. Just facts.

georgiafan
04-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I can see where you could compare him to Sanchez in general though I think Sanchez is the much better prospect. People will rave about Mccoys accuracy, leadership and "it" factor.

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I'll admit for me it's harder than hell to project college QBs to the next level, I have to trust my eyes and what I see them do on the field.

Okay, I know McCoy and Snead were both recruited to play at Texas by Mack Brown, and McCoy's play and elevation to starter after the departure of Vince Young led to Snead's transfer to Ol Miss.

So to me that indicates head to head, however you want to evaluate talent, McCoy outplayed Snead.

Now, when I look at last year's stats for McCoy and Snead, I have no idea based on what Snead did at Ol Miss that he's a better prospect than McCoy.

Snead: 2762 yds, 56% completion, 8.45 ypa, 26 TDs, 13 Ints

McCoy: 3859 yds, 76% completion, 8.91 ypa, 34 TDs, 8 Ints

I'd even argue that Snead had better talent at WR to throw the ball.

McCoy's accuracy and ability to scramble and make plays on the run, to me, is what really separates him from most the top prospects in 2010.

Also, none of the top prospects in 2010 has elite arm strength, IMO.

Again, if I'm a team in the first round next year and I need a QB to come in and eventually lead my offense, I'd have to take a long hard look at McCoy.

And for those saying he's shorter than ideal, at the Heisman ceremony last year he and Tebow were eye to eye, so I know he's taller than 6'1.

Please don't throw stats out when comparing quarterbacks as prospects. One played in a balanced, run based offense (Snead) and the other played in a spread offense centered around the short passing game. It is also not that big of a deal that McCoy beat out Snead considering he had a full year in the system before Snead even stepped foot on campus. McCoy is a good college football player, but I strongly believe he wont be picked before the 4th round next year.

Brent
04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Head to head at Texas, McCoy flat out made more plays than Snead, which to me says more about Colt's playmaking abilities than my thinking he's simply a better spread QB than Snead
Please stop talking about that. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Colt had a whole year to learn the system sitting behind Vince Young and taking reps as the scout team QB against the starting defense (you think that helped him prepare a little?). Snead comes to Austin after Colt had been there for a whole year, and you think because he couldn't beat out Colt that there's something to question there?

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Stats are at least a part of the equation that can't be dismissed as if they're completely irrelevant.

Just throwing out that you think McCoy is at best a 4th rounder when he was projected as a 2nd to late 1st if he came out after last season, with no rationale for you position, is just blowing hot air.

That's why I listed their yards per attempt, where Colt has higher average number than Snead.

If you ever watched Texas play extensively last year, Colt got the ball downfield, he wasn't dumbing off five yard passes that were turned into 20 yard gains.

It's funny how people wanna bash the spread in college, as if somehow any college QB who accomplishes anything with it is illegitimate, when in reality it's a version of the WCO, with many of the same offensive principles.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
The point is, Brent, no Texas fan that I know thought Snead would EVER beat out Colt as the starter and felt he was better off transferring, since he would be a career backup if he stayed in Austin.

Colt wasn't better because he was there a year earlier. Every other college program has an underclassmen starting over someone who's been in the program longer.

To say that Colt had a year more reps on the scout team is the reason he won the starting job tells me you lack a fundamental misunderstanding on how Mack Brown stacks his depth chart.

Colt plays the QB position at a higher level of proficiency than Snead, from what I've seen.

Snead may have ability, but to suggest he's a better pro prospect than Colt based on anything more than measurables, is inaccurate.

TACKLE
04-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I love McCoy but I don't think he's a Top 20 pick. He's smallish at 6'1/6'2 and just over 200lbs. He did not play in a pro-style offense, lacks elite physical tools and has an average arm. With that being said, I think McCoy can be excellent in the NFL. He'll probably go late 1st-early 2nd (remember a guy named Drew Brees) and will fit in very well in a WCO. His decision making and accuracy are probably the best I've seen in a QB in years.

MooshooGawd
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Well he's got a cute girlfriend...for what it's worth.

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 01:18 PM
The point is, Brent, no Texas fan that I know thought Snead would EVER beat out Colt as the starter and felt he was better off transferring, since he would be a career backup if he stayed in Austin.

Colt wasn't better because he was there a year earlier. Every other college program has an underclassmen starting over someone who's been in the program longer.

To say that Colt had a year more reps on the scout team is the reason he won the starting job tells me you lack a fundamental misunderstanding on how Mack Brown stacks his depth chart.

Colt plays the QB position at a higher level of proficiency than Snead, from what I've seen.

Snead may have ability, but to suggest he's a better pro prospect than Colt based on anything more than measurables, is inaccurate.

Please enlighten us on how he stacks his depth chart. I'm sure you have all of the answers.

You have to be a dumbass to not realize that a 3 year starter is going to going to be more proficient than a first-year starter.

You also need to look at the systems they each played in, and the teams they played. Snead played in the SEC. SEC=Defense, unless you're watching somebody play Florida. McCoy played in the Big 12, a league that was notoriously known for it's soft defenses this year. The only team in that conference that had anything close to a good d was the team Colt played on. Snead is a better NFL Prospect. Deal with it.

3pac
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Well it seems like he's clearly pretty polarizing.....

I realize this sounds incredibly stupid, and it is, but the fact his name is Colt McCoy makes me think he will be a star. If you were watching some cheesy Disney movie about a bunch of poor rag-tag kids who have to beat the evil, black-jersey-wearing rich kids, you know what the evil team's star QB would probably be named? Colt McCoy.

I mean honestly. It's just a quarterback name. If you're walking down the street and ask someone their name, and they say "Colt McCoy," you're going to think Hmm, either this guy is an NFL quarterback, or a professional assassin. It's a toss up.

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Well it seems like he's clearly pretty polarizing.....

I realize this sounds incredibly stupid, and it is, but the fact his name is Colt McCoy makes me think he will be a star. If you were watching some cheesy Disney movie about a bunch of poor rag-tag kids who have to beat the evil, black-jersey-wearing rich kids, you know what the evil team's star QB would probably be named? Colt McCoy.

I mean honestly. It's just a quarterback name. If you're walking down the street and ask someone their name, and they say "Colt McCoy," you're going to think Hmm, either this guy is an NFL quarterback, or a professional assassin. It's a toss up.

Haha remember "Tye Gunn" from TCU?

3pac
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Haha remember "Tye Gunn" from TCU?

Now that was some epic failure at the potential of a good name.....

the decider13
04-24-2009, 01:32 PM

That is exactly what pro prospects are about

TitleTown088
04-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm more excited about the McCoy that plays further north.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Please enlighten us on how he stacks his depth chart. I'm sure you have all of the answers.

You have to be a dumbass to not realize that a 3 year starter is going to going to be more proficient than a first-year starter.

You also need to look at the systems they each played in, and the teams they played. Snead played in the SEC. SEC=Defense, unless you're watching somebody play Florida. McCoy played in the Big 12, a league that was notoriously known for it's soft defenses this year. The only team in that conference that had anything close to a good d was the team Colt played on. Snead is a better NFL Prospect. Deal with it.

Wow. Were you abused as a child, LookItsAlDavis?
Or still just a child?

Man, I would LOVE to have a conversation with your badass in the flesh.....

So, Snead starting for one year and barely completing half his passes at Ol Miss would automatically vault him on your board over someone who's going to leave college as a fifth year senior and 4 year starter?

When people talk about how a player is head and shoulders a better prospect than someone else,( Snead, 1st rounder - McCoy 4th round) and the best argument they can present is, McCoy can't be any good because he played in a spread offense in college, that's a weak point at best and not credible.

Jevan Snead isn't Carson Palmer. He's listed as smaller than McCoy and his arm isn't elite.

Oh, and if Mack Brown thinks the best player is an underclassman, that's who starts at QB. See Chris Simms versus Major Applewhite.

You deal with that, brah.

cdub11
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, a RS freshman who had been in the system for a whole year should have been beat out by a guy who just showed up on campus. UT fans will even tell you that he looked like he wasnt ready to go out there during that K-State game.

Thanks for the reminder :D

When Snead came into that game he looked lost although he did get much better as the game went on, I believe Texas was down by 21 or 24 and he brought them back to within 3.

At the beginning of that season I thought Snead would win the QB job, Jevan was a little bigger and had a better arm... Colt outplayed him, had better football IQ, knew the offense, didnt commit TO's was more consistant

Did the Redshirt year help McCoy win the QB battle? Yes

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow. Were you abused as a child, LookItsAlDavis?
Or still just a child?

Man, I would LOVE to have a conversation with your badass in the flesh.....

So, Snead starting for one year and barely completing half his passes at Ol Miss would automatically vault him on your board over someone who's going to leave college as a fifth year senior and 4 year starter?

When people talk about how a player is head and shoulders a better prospect than someone else,( Snead, 1st rounder - McCoy 4th round) and the best argument they can present is, McCoy can't be any good because he played in a spread offense in college, that's a weak point at best and not credible.

Jevan Snead isn't Carson Palmer. He's listed as smaller than McCoy and his arm isn't elite.

Oh, and if Mack Brown thinks the best player is an underclassman, that's who starts at QB. See Chris Simms versus Major Applewhite.

You deal with that, brah.

Who said Snead was high on my board anyway? I don't have a board. I just said I view him as a better prospect, because he is bigger, has a stronger arm, and plays in a tough conference that has the best defensive talent in the country.

If you were reading right, I brought up the spread offense that McCoy plays in to support my point that you shouldn't use player's stats as a blueprint for projecting them to the next level.

And Applewhite was a better player.

Crimson79
04-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Barring injury Bradford is going to the 1st QB off the board.

Mr. Hero
04-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm going to defend Tebow since there seem to enough of you guys defending Snead, my number one QB for next year. The standard gripes with Tebow are his decision making due to his offense and his release. He can make ever NFL throw so his arm isn't really worth arguing about. We all know he's a ***** to bring down. Now last year he was able to quicken up his release and if he makes similar steps this season his release will be adequate, not a cutler like lightening release but a good enough release were he won't be Byron Leftwich. As for his system it's true that he'll take a season or two just to get prepared to run an NFL team, but, he's such a hard worker with the will to win that I think a team that's patient with him will reap major rewards. I just don't think that Colt will be a better leader in two or three years. At their peaks Colt seems to me like a poor man's Romo while Tebow has the tools to become a probowl QB if you have an Offense that's a good fit and bring him along properly. That's why I have Tebow as a higher rated QB. That sadi if you want an immediate starter yeah, Colt's a better fit, that said I never really see him surpassing pre-concussion Trent Edwards and thus I don't think he should go in the first. I think both him and Tebow are late first-mid second round QBs.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 06:27 PM
IMO, Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy will all be starters in the pros and all will be gone before the end of the 2nd round in 2010.

jth1331
04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Personally, I like Colt as a potential NFL QB and think he could become a very efficient guy, similar to Drew Brees. Good accuracy, not a big arm, and has mobility. I like his potential in the NFL.

The knocks on Bradford are kind of funny to me. I watched every single game, and his accuracy was spot on every single play. He doesn't have a rocket arm, but neither does Peyton Manning. Bradford is smart, he does have some mobility when needed, makes quick decisions and gets the ball to his playmakers. I like his pro chances very much and think he could be very successful. He is a good leader, has the smarts to learn, amazing accuracy, and a solid arm.

BBIB
04-24-2009, 07:40 PM
All I know is it will be beyond hypocritical for the self prescribed experts to love and rave on Colt McCoy yet hate on Tim Tebow when they both play in that zone read option and Tebow has superior physical tools.

Sniper
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
All I know is it will be beyond hypocritical for the self prescribed experts to love and rave on Colt McCoy yet hate on Tim Tebow when they both play in that zone read option and Tebow has superior physical tools.

The difference in their releases plays a big role in the love for McCoy and the hate on Tebow. I say that as one of the biggest Tebow fans out there.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2009, 02:35 AM

Well it's pretty obvious you didn't know the situation very well...Actually there were ALOT of UT fans who felt Snead could, and would, beat out McCoy for the job, and it's not just me...I preferred Snead more, and I remember a large portion of Longhorn fans did as well.

Snead was more athletic, and coming from a VY era I felt he would be a more dynamic weapon then Colt would...Still, it's very true to say that Snead has more pro potential then McCoy and I believe it.

Colt was very efficient, and he surprised me by how athletic he truly was once I saw him out there, but you can't knock what Snead did at Ole Miss this year...Colt was more experienced then him, and at that point had a better grip on the offense(evidenced by his RS-freshman year), but he was a true freshman so that means nothing.

JDB held Sanchez out of a job, Aaron Corp looks like he'll start over Matt Barkley, so does that mean Sanchez and Barkley aren't great pro prospects? Or the guy that beat them out will be better in the pro's?

wicket
04-25-2009, 02:39 AM
I dont like colt as a pro player AT ALL. You can basicly say all the things about him as you can say about tebow with a weaker arm and a worse frame imo. I think he will be drafted in the fourth or something on the back of (deserved) college hype but I dont see him translating to the pros

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Longhornslegend, all I ask when someone makes the case that Snead is a better pro prospect that McCoy is to provide a simple breakdown of where Snead is superior to Colt, because I sure as heck don't see it in Snead's play or on the field.

For the record, I never said Snead wouldn't be a solid pro QB prospect, I was responding to the opinions that Snead is arguably a 1st round pick and Colt is more likely a 4th rounder.

I've seen where Colt is listed at 6'3, Snead, 6'2, which to me means they'll probably measure in at the same height. Weight about the same. Maybe Snead has a stronger arm bur definitely not elite. So where's the separation besides offensive system and experience, the latter of which favors McCoy.

No one's really made the argument succinctly why there would be that much separation between the two, especially when comparing their effectiveness and productivity on the field.

And FYI, my whole extended family is from Houston and Prairie View and I've been force fed more than my share of Texas fandom.

Granted I can't fairly speak for the opinion of all Texas fans, but of the ones I know personally, they felt the transfer of Snead was a good thing for all parties involved.

And what's with so many posters dropping phrases like, "it's pretty obvious you didn't know the situation very well", or "it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about"?

IMO, there's no need for the gratuitous insult because you obviously don't agree with my opinion. Unless it's an obvious misstatement of FACT, not opinion, the strength and credibility of your own argument should carry enough weight without tossing in the personal attack for good measure.

crisco0710
04-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I remember the snead and McCoy situation, and at the time I wanted Snead to start, and thought he was more athletic and better suited to run UT's offense.