PDA

View Full Version : Like I said Harvin is going to the Vikes

BGB
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM
From the startribune

Report: Childress meets with Harvin
April 23rd, 2009 – 2:16 PM by Judd Zulgad It appears the Vikings are extremely serious about taking Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin with the 22nd pick in the first round of Saturday’s draft.

The latest indication of the team’s interest in Harvin came on Wednesday when Vikings coach Brad Childress reportedly spent the day at the University of Florida meeting with Harvin. Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman declined to confirm the report by the National Football Post at a news conference this afternoon at Winter Park.

“What I would say is if you’re doing that, just in general, if a team is going out to do stuff, they’re doing just some last-minute things,” Spielman said. “There’s a couple of teams that are out this week. You can’t bring the players into the facility. That ended last week. So the only chance you get to go out if there was something that popped up in a meeting or something you definitely wanted to confirm. Then you have to go out to where that player is. So a lot of teams will do that this time of year.”

Harvin is a guy who many feel has top-10 talent and is a threat as both a receiver and running back. He projects to play wide receiver in the NFL and also is expected to return punts and kicks. But there also are plenty of questions surrounding his character and his injury history. The latest red flag about Harvin’s off-the-field behavior came when it was reported he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Spielman said a few weeks back that the Vikings had put a red dot on 78 players — meaning there is absolutely no way they would select them — and admitted that number has grown.

However, it doesn’t appear Harvin has been given a red dot yet and Childress’ visit would seem to be an indication there is a good chance the Vikings will take Harvin if he’s there. The Vikings concerns with Harvin, however, go beyond his off-the-field issues.

The New York Daily News is reporting that Harvin has undergone multiple surgeries on his on his ankle and foot and has a “hole” in his bone that will require more surgery.

Crazy_Chris
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Smoke Screen... There has just been to much talk lately of how high the Vikings are on Harvin, and now on top of that childress supposedly personally visits him too. If the Vikings really coveted Harvin you think they are going to make it so obvious to rest the league? I sure don't, I still think Eben Britton is going to be their guy.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Good I pray he doesn't come to Baltimore. I also heard the vikes are strongly interested in Britton as well. It should come to Britton or Harvin.

jay cutler's #1 fan
04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
This is far from a guarantee that they will draft him. Hell, they don't even know if he'll be available at that point.

Halsey
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I can totally understand why the Vikes may be willing to take a big risk on Harvin. Yeah, he has serious character questions, but he could be highly dominant on the football field at times against even top defenses.

Babylon
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I dont ever think he was a top ten talent so i'm not sure where that's coming from. I think he slides into the 2nd round but i'd roll the dice on him. Wouldnt mind him to the Pats, just not 1st round.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, a visit = he's going #22.

... I bet this thread is bumped in two days.

BGB
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, a visit = he's going #22.

... I bet this thread is bumped in two days.

The visit combined with a source that says 90% of the Viking staff wants Harvin as the pick and 10 players were interviewed and they all want him to be the pick too.

He'll be the pick. Unless someone has the balls to take him infront of us. Take away the injuries and "character concerns" and Harvin is one of the 5 best players in this draft. The Vikings are not stupid. I just can't believe all the teams in front of us are going to be dumb enough either though.

FrankGore
04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure Zygi Wilf is going to sign off on picking this guy given the problems the StarCaps brothers, Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie, etc. have or have had. That's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't call it a slam dunk because of some random source and a visit after the positive weed test was confirmed.

BGB
04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure Zygi Wilf is going to sign off on picking this guy given the problems the StarCaps brothers, Jared Allen, Bryant McKinnie, etc. have or have had. That's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't call it a slam dunk because of some random source and a visit after the positive weed test was confirmed.

Ziggy Wilf signed a 74 million dollar check to Jarred Allen after he had already been suspended and was 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension. I never thought I would say this about a Vikings owner but Ziggy Wilf has BALLS. I'd put him right up there with Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I dont know if thats a good thing or not.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 04:54 PM
A couple things for people to remember when it comes to Harvin and Minnesota.

-It has been talked about that we stay away from guys with off the field issues, yet we traded multiple picks for Jared Allen who was enrolled in the substance abuse program at the time of the trade.

-It's also mentioned that Minnesota being linked to Harvin is purely a smokescreen yet people ignore the fact that we are similarly linked to Britton and assume our interest in him is genuine.

-Brad Childress said numerous times in 2007 that the reason we took Adrian Peterson and ignored his "durability" concerns because people in the Minnesota camp simply couldn't ignore the film on AD. He was way too explosive to use that pick elsewhere, even though we already had signed Chester Taylor to starters money.

-The same injury news is being leaked about Harvin that was leaked in '07 prior to our selection of Adrian Peterson.

-Lastly and most importantly, a OT with talent similar to Britton can be had in the 2nd round while no one in the 2nd round will offer the upside and explosion that Percy Havin would bring to the table in Minnesota.

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them how that worked out.

I'm not saying I want Harvin more or less than anyone else. I'm one of the Viking fans that believe Britton will be the pick on Saturday. I just think that people shouldn't completely write off Harvin because of what is being said in the news. Jon Gruden put it best last week when he said "They are wearing rings in Gainesville because of this kid."

/rant.

FrankGore
04-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Ziggy Wilf signed a 74 million dollar check to Jarred Allen after he had already been suspended and was 1 strike away from a 1 year suspension. I never thought I would say this about a Vikings owner but Ziggy Wilf has BALLS. I'd put him right up there with Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder. I dont know if thats a good thing or not.

We'll see. The more you do it, the more you're pushing your luck and chances are things won't end well with at least one of them. I would think they'd limit it to just a couple guys. But maybe I'm wrong.

BGB
04-23-2009, 05:04 PM

-It has been talked about that we stay away from guys with off the field issues, yet we traded multiple picks for Jared Allen who was enrolled in the substance abuse program at the time of the trade.

-It's also mentioned that Minnesota being linked to Harvin is purely a smokescreen yet people ignore the fact that we are similarly linked to Britton and assume our interest in him is genuine.

-Brad Childress said numerous times in 2007 that the reason we took Adrian Peterson and ignored his "durability" concerns because people in the Minnesota camp simply couldn't ignore the film on AD. He was way too explosive to use that pick elsewhere, even though we already had signed Chester Taylor to starters money.

-The same injury news is being leaked about Harvin that was leaked in '07 prior to our selection of Adrian Peterson.

-Lastly and most importantly, a OT with talent similar to Britton can be had in the 2nd round while no one in the 2nd round will offer the upside and explosion that Percy Havin would bring to the table in Minnesota.

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them how that worked out.

I'm not saying I want Harvin more or less than anyone else. I'm one of the Viking fans that believe Britton will be the pick on Saturday. I just think that people shouldn't completely write off Harvin because of what is being said in the news. Jon Gruden put it best last week when he said "They are wearing rings in Gainesville because of this kid."

/rant.

Good points Hagy. I think people across the country see us as a conserivtive orginization but since Wilf came here it has been just the oppisite!

Poison pill deal to steal Hutchinson from Seattle
Trading up to land a D1aa QB in Tjack.........Ouch not so good there
Trading the farm for Allen already in the substance abuse program
Paying what ever it takes for Bernard Berrian
McKinnie hit someone over the head with a pole and he is still here.
Numerous trade ups in the drafts to get guys we want

Crazy_Chris
04-23-2009, 05:05 PM

I understand that it is big risk in using that 22nd pick on Percy Harvin but the Minnesota's two biggest offensive play makers in the last 10 years were drafted with large question marks, whether it be off the field risks (Moss) or on the field durability concerns (Peterson). A final thought, in '07 Arizona passed on Peterson in favor of Levi Brown because they needed help on the offensive line and a few questions surrounded Peterson, ask them if how that worked out.

/rant.

There is a difference in the Vikings interest in Harvin vs. the Vikings interest in Eben Britton. All of the sudden you can't look any where with out hearing crap about Harvin. While as with Eben Britton the interest is reported but it's a lot more quiet and spread apart. The numerous reports are just too many all at one time, at too coincidental of a time(right before the draft) and then supposedly going to florida to meet with harvin and leaking that too. The situation is most likely just a smoke screen. Because if the Vikings truely covet Percy Harvin they are handling the situation very badly to just announce to the rest of the league how badly they want him.

BGB
04-23-2009, 05:10 PM
There is a difference in the Vikings interest in Harvin vs. the Vikings interest in Eben Britton. All of the sudden you can't look any where with out hearing crap about Harvin. While as with Eben Britton the interest is reported but it's a lot more quiet and spread apart. The numerous reports are just too many all at one time, at too coincidental of a time(right before the draft) and then supposedly going to florida to meet with harvin and leaking that too. The situation is most likely just a smoke screen. Because if the Vikings truely covet Percy Harvin they are handling the situation very badly to just announce to the rest of the league how badly they want him.

I just figure we dont think anyone has the balls to take him in front of us.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Agreed. But the reason that you have soooo much crap about Harvin is because of media outlets caring a lot more about big names than offensive tackles from Arizona. Harvin is a big name from a big time program that won the National Championship. There are simply more talking points for Harvin than there are about Britton, its not a secret that the Vikings like Britton and nobody simply writes that off as a smokescreen. In the days leading up to the draft the talking heads on ESPN focus on the big names and big stories. That's why Harvin is all over ESPN and the casual fan doesn't even know who Eben Britton is.

Again, I'm not a huge Harvin supporter or anything. I just think people are a little blind when looking at this whole situation. ESPN and the internet love the drama. That's what sells. Harvin/Andre Smith are what grab people's attention. Eben Britton/Brian Robiske don't.

marshallb
04-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I agree with everyone else, this by no means says he is a lock for the pick at # 22. A lot of teams are throwing smoke screens out there and are doing last minute checks on players. This could be the Vikings last minute check on Harvin because up until a couple days ago, it was almost guaranteed that he'd go late first-early 2nd, but now there is a chance that we could trade up into the 2nd a little bit or pick him with our 2nd round pick that wasn't there before.
I don't know who is right here, this could be a smokescreen or it could be truly valid, but I find it quite odd that they are pushing this information out there so hard right now, just a couple days before the draft. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens on draft day. It could make for a very interesting draft day.

GhostDeini
04-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Have we not learned anything from Gator wr's in the past ? This guy is even riskier than previous Gator wr's. Never ran a route in his life, is fragile, and all his big plays came off an option pitch. AVOID ALL UF "skill position" guys.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Have we not learned anything from Gator wr's in the past ? This guy is even riskier than previous Gator wr's. Never ran a route in his life, is fragile, and all his big plays came off an option pitch. AVOID ALL UF "skill position" guys.

All of his big plays? I take it you missed the National Championship game???

hagy34
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree with everyone else, this by no means says he is a lock for the pick at # 22. A lot of teams are throwing smoke screens out there and are doing last minute checks on players. This could be the Vikings last minute check on Harvin because up until a couple days ago, it was almost guaranteed that he'd go late first-early 2nd, but now there is a chance that we could trade up into the 2nd a little bit or pick him with our 2nd round pick that wasn't there before.
I don't know who is right here, this could be a smokescreen or it could be truly valid, but I find it quite odd that they are pushing this information out there so hard right now, just a couple days before the draft. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens on draft day. It could make for a very interesting draft day.

Interesting to say the least. It is safe to say that this year will be a lot more fun for the Vikings than our draft last year.

BGB
04-23-2009, 05:28 PM

How many former Gator WR's were the NUMBER ONE recruit in the nation coming out of highschool? Harvin has more talent in his little pinky then guys like Chad Jackson had in their whole body. Harvin has never run a route in his life? WOW!!! Seems to me he looked better then most other WR's prospects when he ran routes at his pro day.

How much of the route tree did Maclin run at Missouri??? Oh that's right ZERO!! But you have no problem calling him a top 15 talent.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Harvin did have a very impressive Pro Day both catching the football and running routes, don't take my word for it, take it from the people who saw it.

Geo
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
How bush league do you have to be to have to go visit Harvin this late in the scouting game?

You should already know all there is to know about the kid by now.

yourfavestoner
04-23-2009, 05:47 PM

This is argument one of the biggest red herrings in the entire draft. Does anybody not remember that Florida has a different coach than the one who produced all those first round busts at wide receiver?

The reason those former first round receivers busted is quite simple. They weren't athletic enough to carve a niche in the NFL. Spurrier routinely put his best athletes in the defensive backfield, as he felt that his offensive scheme was good enough that he could get guys wide open without them having to be super athletes. Think about it: the most productive WRs to come out under Spurrier were Darrell Jackson and Ike Hilliard - who both became excellent possession guys. Meaning that they knew how to run routes and did it very well. There's not some magic concoction in the water in Gainesville that makes UF receivers struggle. It's a lazy argument.

Harvin is Urban Meyer's first receiver to come out. And like another poster said, he's got more talent in his pinky finger than the other ones did in their whole body.

BGB
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
How bush league do you have to be to have to go visit Harvin this late in the scouting game?

You should already know all there is to know about the kid by now.

The sources that I have said that Childress was one of only 2 guys with in the orginization that perfered Britton over Harvin. I would guess Childress wanted to hang out with the kid for a day and make sure they could coinside togher. Hopefully Harvin didn't offer him a puff off a joint or bring him to too wild of a party!!! LOL.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Chilly could use a puff or two. Maybe it would tap into his creative side....

BGB
04-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Chilly could use a puff or two. Maybe it would tap into his creative side....

Some of the stupid chit he says in his interviews and press confrences not to mention all the ahhhh's and dhhhhhh's make me wonder if he isn't stoned half the time.

hagy34
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
It's entirely possible. Maybe he just met with Percy to pick up a dime bag.

PossibleCabbage
04-23-2009, 06:55 PM
How can any fan of any team be confident in who their team is going to pick in the first round? Crazy things happen in the draft every single year, and 21 teams get the opportunity to take Harvin before Minnesota. Hell, someone could fall so far, for whatever reason, that Minnesota would be insane to take Harvin over that guy.

Minnesota might take Harvin, they might not, they might not have a chance to. Considering that Minnesota gains nothing out of broadcasting their (actual) interest in a prospect to the world, I think this is really a non-story.

Since there's currently a whole lot of theories as to who's going to go at #3, #4, and #5 (let alone most of the other spots), it's a little too early to be sure about who is going to go at #22.

sbh15
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I dont ever think he was a top ten talent so i'm not sure where that's coming from. I think he slides into the 2nd round but i'd roll the dice on him. Wouldnt mind him to the Pats, just not 1st round.

Uh... have you seen him play?

GhostDeini
04-23-2009, 08:57 PM
LMFAO ! This guy actually tried to use being # 1 highschool player as evidence for something. You rookies are just getting into this draft thing i see.

sbh15
04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
LMFAO ! This guy actually tried to use being # 1 highschool player as evidence for something. You rookies are just getting into this draft thing i see.

Who tried to use that argument, exactly?

BGB
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Who tried to use that argument, exactly?

I did. Some dummy was trying to say that Florida WR have sucked in the past there for Harvin will suck. I said no Florida WR in the past was even close to as good as Harvin.

sbh15
04-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I did. Some dummy was trying to say that Florida WR have sucked in the past there for Harvin will suck. I said no Florida WR in the past was even close to as good as Harvin.

Oh, ok. Very valid point. Darrell Jackson is the most talented receiver to come out of Florida ever. That alone should let you know why UF receivers have bad reputations - they haven't ever been very talented... Percy is on an entirely different level.

BBIB
04-24-2009, 07:44 PM
We'll see. The more you do it, the more you're pushing your luck and chances are things won't end well with at least one of them. I would think they'd limit it to just a couple guys. But maybe I'm wrong.

He did weed for crying out loud half the league does pot, he just got caught.

My god the drug is only illegal because of a propaganda campaign and corporate lobbying

Yeah it's still illegal and it was poor judgment but my goodness gracious people are making Percy Harvin out to be a T.O. headcase

Yet there isn't a single incident anyone can point to during Harvin's career at Florida where he showed these so called character issues he had coming out of High School.

Nothing but baseless rumors

FrankGore
04-24-2009, 08:24 PM
You get suspended in the NFL for a positive marijuana test, whether "half the league" does it or not. If he's dumb enough to test positive for the only non-random drug test he will ever get from now on, and you have a LOT of other shady things being whispered about what happened at his high school and how he carries himself, it IS a concern. Now I don't have all the background information that GMs do, but to gloss over everything and say there was nothing noticeable at Florida, therefore there aren't any character concerns...is not a good assumption.

BGB
04-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I told ya so!!!! We fricking ran to the podium to make the pick. Harvin baby!

FrankGore
04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Good call. Interesting to track this career over the next couple years.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I told ya so!!!! We fricking ran to the podium to make the pick. Harvin baby!

LOL they did make that pick without much thought behind it, they knew they wanted him a long time ago...I heard alot of Vikes fans tell me they weren't touching him with a 10 ft pole, so much for that eh.

yourfavestoner
04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
This thread is so full of win.

Mr. Hero
04-25-2009, 09:07 PM
You get suspended in the NFL for a positive marijuana test, whether "half the league" does it or not. If he's dumb enough to test positive for the only non-random drug test he will ever get from now on, and you have a LOT of other shady things being whispered about what happened at his high school and how he carries himself, it IS a concern. Now I don't have all the background information that GMs do, but to gloss over everything and say there was nothing noticeable at Florida, therefore there aren't any character concerns...is not a good assumption.

But you're going back to high school to find character concerns. If he were really a bad seed wouldn't that have shown at UF somehow? I just feel like that argument is entirely diffused by the fact that his character never proved to be a problem at the next level.

Iamcanadian
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
He did weed for crying out loud half the league does pot, he just got caught.

My god the drug is only illegal because of a propaganda campaign and corporate lobbying

Yeah it's still illegal and it was poor judgment but my goodness gracious people are making Percy Harvin out to be a T.O. headcase

Yet there isn't a single incident anyone can point to during Harvin's career at Florida where he showed these so called character issues he had coming out of High School.

Nothing but baseless rumors

Look, before the weed problem surfaced, I was Harvin's highest booster. However, I believe Casserley on NFL Network said it best that most pro teams consider the weed a far more serious black mark than steroids. If a player cannot give up the weed long enough to pass his physical how is he going to control it during his career.
It is already 1 black mark against his record in the NFL and he will be tested extensively from now on. Every time he gets caught from now on, he'll lose a year of playing time. This isn't high school or college anymore. This is pro football where the rules on weed are extremely strict.
Harvin is a top 10 talent that lasted till the 20's, he could have a sensational career or it could be another disastrous career. It is all up to him but I'm not holding my breath expecting the best.

wogitalia
04-26-2009, 07:20 AM
I want to die right now...

Michael Oher is available and we take freaking Percy Puff Puff Pass Harvin...

I really hate being a Vikes fan at this time of year.

Shere Khan
04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
So much for the Vikings taking 'red-flag' players off their draft board.

Sheesh, it's a wonder why we listen to ANYTHING any of these execs have to say.

BGB
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I want to die right now...

Michael Oher is available and we take freaking Percy Puff Puff Pass Harvin...

I really hate being a Vikes fan at this time of year.

Spielman said they had Harvin ranked as a top 10 player in this draft and they had Oher ranked #13. Harvin/Loadholt was a great draft!!!

If we would have gone Oher we would have got a dog chit WR in round 2.

How the hell can you want to die right now. Man Vikings fans are idiots

wogitalia
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Spielman said they had Harvin ranked as a top 10 player in this draft and they had Oher ranked #13. Harvin/Loadholt was a great draft!!!

We also had Troy Williamson as a top 10 prospect.

I really don't like Harvin as a pro prospect, especially on a team with a far better playmaker already at RB. I also don't like his character issues, really don't like them. It is one thing to be a pot head, it is another to be an arrogant **** and another to be stupid, but to throw all 3 together and you are just asking for trouble.

On top of that, we are a team who can't keep the QB from being under pressure, Oher would have answered the OL problems, put him at LT and move McKinnie to the right where he is a far better fit with his stone feet. Now we have the slowest pairing of tackles, which is fine on the run but really hurts when we need to pass.

I really cant see how Harvin fits into our offense either, anytime he takes a snap at RB ahead of Peterson will be a waste and I can't see him helping in the passing game much in the next few years, if at all.

The Loadholt pick makes it slightly better, but I graded Harvin as a 2nd to 3rd round guy, sure on pure talent he is probably first round but he has so many red flags. I would have far preferred we went for Oher then pick up someone else then get Harvin and Loadholt.

I may well be wrong, I guess thats what makes this whole time of year fun, but I just look at the pick and cant help but feel like we ****** it up again...

How the hell can you want to die right now. Man Vikings fans are idiots

Look at our History, especially under Childress, he isnt a guy that generates confidence. Our best pick other than Peterson under him at this moment is probably Tyler Thigpen, actually it is almost certainly Thigpen, and he did it after we cut him. I mean honestly, the guy inspires no confidence and then he takes a punt, I guess the biggest positive is that Harvin is totally not a Childress type of guy, character issues and all...

hagy34
04-26-2009, 12:21 PM

That was a completely different regime. Look at it his way, the first round picks under Childress:

06 - Greenway
07 - Peterson
08 - Allen trade

Not exactly Williamson type picks.....wait and see on Harvin before you completely rip us.

BGB
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM

I really don't like Harvin as a pro prospect, especially on a team with a far better playmaker already at RB. I also don't like his character issues, really don't like them. It is one thing to be a pot head, it is another to be an arrogant **** and another to be stupid, but to throw all 3 together and you are just asking for trouble.

On top of that, we are a team who can't keep the QB from being under pressure, Oher would have answered the OL problems, put him at LT and move McKinnie to the right where he is a far better fit with his stone feet. Now we have the slowest pairing of tackles, which is fine on the run but really hurts when we need to pass.

I really cant see how Harvin fits into our offense either, anytime he takes a snap at RB ahead of Peterson will be a waste and I can't see him helping in the passing game much in the next few years, if at all.

The Loadholt pick makes it slightly better, but I graded Harvin as a 2nd to 3rd round guy, sure on pure talent he is probably first round but he has so many red flags. I would have far preferred we went for Oher then pick up someone else then get Harvin and Loadholt.

I may well be wrong, I guess thats what makes this whole time of year fun, but I just look at the pick and cant help but feel like we ****** it up again...

Look at our History, especially under Childress, he isnt a guy that generates confidence. Our best pick other than Peterson under him at this moment is probably Tyler Thigpen, actually it is almost certainly Thigpen, and he did it after we cut him. I mean honestly, the guy inspires no confidence and then he takes a punt, I guess the biggest positive is that Harvin is totally not a Childress type of guy, character issues and all...

If you have Harvin rated as a 2nd or 3rd round player you have no business evaluating players. Dont even attempt it next year.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
I doubt Harvin ever takes a snap at RB for the Vikes except for a gimmick play or in a pinch.

Playing RB at Florida is why he had injuries. Percy has excellent hands and when he's in the open field, he's a rare talent.

He will automatically juice Minny's passing game and if he can stay off the wacky tobaccy he's got a legit shot at OROTY.

Kid_Ego
04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
i kinda see him at best being desean Jackson at worst troy edwards

BBIB
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
i kinda see him at best being desean Jackson at worst troy edwards

If he's utilized correctly he could be DeSean Jackson meets Steve Slaton

sbh15
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I doubt Harvin ever takes a snap at RB for the Vikes except for a gimmick play or in a pinch.

Playing RB at Florida is why he had injuries. Percy has excellent hands and when he's in the open field, he's a rare talent.

He will automatically juice Minny's passing game and if he can stay off the wacky tobaccy he's got a legit shot at OROTY.

He had injuries because he had the ball all of the time. He close to as many carries as he did receptions. It's not like he's more susceptible to injury because he starts the play behind the line of scrimmage instead of on it.

I think he'll definitely win OROTY if he keeps those injury and character concerns at bay.

If you're evaluating straight film he's a top five pick, IMO. The only reason he fell to Minnesota is because of character concerns and injuries. You guys should be thanking the football Gods.

wogitalia
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
If you have Harvin rated as a 2nd or 3rd round player you have no business evaluating players. Dont even attempt it next year.

Did you even read the next line? I said from a pure football side of things he is a first rounder, it is all the other stuff that worries me, even from a football side, I really don't like the fit for Minny. I've had a sleep on the pick and if anything I dislike the pick even more. Percy was just about the only guy projected in the first round that I actually didnt want, I could have lived with just about anyone else.

sbh15
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Did you even read the next line? I said from a pure football side of things he is a first rounder, it is all the other stuff that worries me, even from a football side, I really don't like the fit for Minny. I've had a sleep on the pick and if anything I dislike the pick even more. Percy was just about the only guy projected in the first round that I actually didnt want, I could have lived with just about anyone else.

Sucks that you got the most dynamic player in the entire draft to go with the NFL's best RB...

BGB
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM

Yea I read the whole thing and what it should have said is take away the character concerns and he is a top 10 talent in this draft or any for that matter and a true blue chip talent. From what I have read New England was chomping at the bit to land Harvin at 23 and then when we took him just decided to trade back. Also read that NYJ were trying to trade back into the 1st round for him too. although I am not sure how they would have pulled it off.

We now have 2 of the most electrifying players in all the land.

To bad we still have QB's that are not worth a damn. I think Sage will atleast be able to get the ball in his hands though. Unfortunatly I see Sage getting the ball into the hands of our opponent plenty of times too.

hagy34
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Gotta be honest here, there are plenty of you who hated the idea of a Harvin pick before the draft, and plenty who hate it right now. But give BGB his props, he did post a credible source saying that the Vikes loved him and stood by it even when he got ripped for it, turns out he was dead on. I'm fine with the pick knowing we got a our RT at 54 and I really like the offense with Petey and Harvin on the same field. At the very least, some of you should say you were right to BGB, instead of continuing to rip the pick.

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Harvin in the "Wildcat" with Peterson is intriguing.

But, to say that a Viking fan who is hesitant about the pick is an idiot or what have you wouldn't be fair.

hagy34
04-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Harvin in the "Wildcat" with Peterson is intriguing.

But, to say that a Viking fan who is hesitant about the pick is an idiot or what have you wouldn't be fair.

Agreed. But on the flip side, people were saying that there is not chance the Vikes take Harvin prior to the draft and now instead of admitting they were wrong they are just saying that it was a terrible pick. It should work both ways, the truth is this question won't be answered until at least next season.

TitanHope
04-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Agreed. But on the flip side, people were saying that there is not chance the Vikes take Harvin prior to the draft and now instead of admitting they were wrong they are just saying that it was a terrible pick. It should work both ways, the truth is this question won't be answered until at least next season.

I dunno what the perspectives of Vikings fans were entering the Draft, but I would assume they thought it would be a bad pick and thus refused to believe the team would pick him.

Besides, even though kudos should be given to BGB for calling the Harvin pick, it can still be viewed as a bad pick. You're right though - it won't be clear until he plays.

wogitalia
04-27-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm not arguing with BGB, never was, I just dont like the pick, Harvin is a good football player, I'm not sure his skillset translates as well to the NFL as it did the spread in college, but he has skills, it is his serious character issues, Harvin was the guy in the draft who gave me the worst vibe, before he was too stupid to stay clean for the combine, that was the final straw for me, wouldn't touch him, Ill sure as hell cheer for him if he works out, and Ill be perfectly happy to be wrong on him, but he just has that "it" factor for all the wrong reasons for me.

I'm also not at all sold how he fits our team, the best way Florida saw to get him the ball was as a RB, that shouldn't happen with us, though maybe Wildcat is the ultimate formation given teams know we wont try and pass until we absolutely have to anyway so why waste a player with a handoff guy. I'm not sold on him as a receiver and Childress isnt creative at all to find ways to get him the ball.

On a side note, it probably spells the end for Sidney Rice, who was staying healthy away from being very good, that sort of annoys me also.

Biggest plus for Harvin is if Belichek really wanted him, the difference being that he has been able to work with troubled guys and turn them around, Childress just makes them angry then cuts them, but unlike Childress, Belichek has shown a good track record of scouting and drafting. So lets hope...

BGB
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not arguing with BGB, never was, I just dont like the pick, Harvin is a good football player, I'm not sure his skillset translates as well to the NFL as it did the spread in college, but he has skills, it is his serious character issues, Harvin was the guy in the draft who gave me the worst vibe, before he was too stupid to stay clean for the combine, that was the final straw for me, wouldn't touch him, Ill sure as hell cheer for him if he works out, and Ill be perfectly happy to be wrong on him, but he just has that "it" factor for all the wrong reasons for me.

I'm also not at all sold how he fits our team, the best way Florida saw to get him the ball was as a RB, that shouldn't happen with us, though maybe Wildcat is the ultimate formation given teams know we wont try and pass until we absolutely have to anyway so why waste a player with a handoff guy. I'm not sold on him as a receiver and Childress isnt creative at all to find ways to get him the ball.

On a side note, it probably spells the end for Sidney Rice, who was staying healthy away from being very good, that sort of annoys me also.

Biggest plus for Harvin is if Belichek really wanted him, the difference being that he has been able to work with troubled guys and turn them around, Childress just makes them angry then cuts them, but unlike Childress, Belichek has shown a good track record of scouting and drafting. So lets hope...

If Rice can live up to his potential this move will spell the end for Bobby Wade not Rice. It should also spell the end off so many damn I formations with that worthless piece of trash Taji in the backfield. We will be able to do a lot more 3 WR sets now (which AP prefers)

By the way anyone who didn't watch the draft on NFLN watch this video of our pick. The commentary blows away the crap they were spewing on ESPN all day long.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ffbafa

griff2213
04-27-2009, 08:43 PM
The thing is that any pick the Vikings make is automatically an awful one because Childress is inept and crazy. Did anyone see the stuff he said in an interview after he signed Sage Rosenfels? Freakin weird. And the stuff he said when Adrian Peterson said he wanted to bulk up ten pounds? Hes a nut believe me.

BGB
04-28-2009, 12:31 AM
The thing is that any pick the Vikings make is automatically an awful one because Childress is inept and crazy. Did anyone see the stuff he said in an interview after he signed Sage Rosenfels? Freakin weird. And the stuff he said when Adrian Peterson said he wanted to bulk up ten pounds? Hes a nut believe me.

You think it's a good idea AP bulks up to 230 lbs?? I think it's a horrible idea and I hope Chilly doesn't let him do it.

wogitalia
04-28-2009, 01:03 AM
It should also spell the end off so many damn I formations with that worthless piece of trash Taji in the backfield.

That is certainly a positive. Can't believe we didn't move heaven and earth to keep Tony Richardson.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-28-2009, 05:11 AM
AP is 6'2, around 220 pound now, so for him to put on 10 pounds isn't unrealistic, even more so if it increases his durability.

umphrey
04-28-2009, 05:14 AM
Harvin = Pac man the wide receiver.

You know I'm not lying, being a fan of a division rival and all.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Gonna be a lot of must-see games in the NFC North this year!!

BGB
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
AP is 6'2, around 220 pound now, so for him to put on 10 pounds isn't unrealistic, even more so if it increases his durability.

He's 217. 13 lbs is a lot of weight to add. I think it could hinder his durability more then anything. More weight on his knees and ankels. What makes AP great is his ability to cut and be explosive not to mention top end speed. I dont want the kid turning into Eddie George! Defenders are not going to fear him any more if he is a little heavier what they fear is he is going to shake them and blow by them making them look stupid.

If he puts on 5 LBS of good weight fine. 13 is wayyyy to much in my opinion.

BGB
04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Harvin = Pac man the wide receiver.

You know I'm not lying, being a fan of a division rival and all.

I would say he is more of a Brett Favre the WR. We all know Brett loved his drugs early in his career.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
13 pounds is not that much weight for Peterson, just based on his physique. 217 pounds is a little thin for a power/speed back like AP, and if he trains correctly he shouldn't lose any of his long speed or quickness.

Adrian is such a punishing runner besides his ability to make defenders miss that if he could get to 225 - 230, he would be an even more effective RB.

Also Peterson never has had problems with his knees or ankles that I know of, so he should be good at a slightly heavier weight.

I bet if you saw Peterson at 230, it probably would be something you wouldn't even notice, if he manages to put some of that weight on his lower body.

mellojello
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
i kinda see him at best being desean Jackson at worst troy edwardsI think he was drafted hoping he would be a Desean Jackson, but drafting percy won't change the fact that the Vikings made a big mistake not taking Desean. People always said that Desean couldn't do what he did if he were in the SEC. Both were obviously big-time playmakers in college, so depending on how Percy does, we'll soon find out how tough SEC defenses really are.

mellojello
12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
I think he was drafted hoping he would be a Desean Jackson, but drafting percy won't change the fact that the Vikings made a big mistake not taking Desean. People always said that Desean couldn't do what he did if he were in the SEC. Both were obviously big-time playmakers in college, so depending on how Percy does, we'll soon find out how tough SEC defenses really are.Havin transitioned into a WR better than I would have ever expected. That's easier said than done considering he hardly played WR in college. Big props to Harvin for making it happen.

Splat
12-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Can't believe we didn't move heaven and earth to keep Tony Richardson.

I said the same thing when the Chiefs let him go such a beast on the field and even better person.

yourfavestoner
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Havin transitioned into a WR better than I would have ever expected. That's easier said than done considering he hardly played WR in college. Big props to Harvin for making it happen.

He hardly played WR in college? That's a little hyperbolic...

He played WR the majority of the time at Florida. They'd put him at RB when they needed a big play or wanted to get him the ball in space on the perimeter in the option game.

I've never seen a prospect be so misanalysed, all because of the "UF receiverz are the suxorz duh!!!!" argument. All the previous UF receivers were busts under a completely different head coach and program. Not only that, but they weren't busts because of where they went to school, but because Spurrier's spread offense masked their physical deficiencies. In fact, if anything, it was route running ability and intelligence that made Ike Hilliard, Darrell Jackson, and Jabar Gaffney's careers last as long as they did.

What made Harvin such a great and underrated prospect was his ability to assimilate an offense and multiple positions with very few practice repetitions. It's why Florida moved him all over the field - he kne and could effectively run the X, Z, slot, and RB positions. It's why Minnesota lines him up at Z, X, slot, and RB and even threw kick return duties his way. Yet his versatility was viewed as a negative thing because he was way overanalyzed.

Another big problem is that people (the professionals included) haven't completely figured out how to scout spread offense prospects. But that's a post for another day.

BGB
01-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Congratulations to Percy Harvin on winning Offensive ROY. Thank god the Vikes were smart enough to run to the podium when you were still on the board for their pick!

That's 2 offensive ROY's in 3 years for the Vikings!

mellojello
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
He hardly played WR in college? That's a little hyperbolic...Agreed, it's hyperbolic, but to me, in terms of touches, he was more a RB than a WR and personally. I didn't see that flying in the NFL. Prospects are badly misanalyzed every year and judging by where he was drafted, the scouts didn't miss by much. He's a baller, but you're right, it's hard to scout guys coming from the spread offense.