PDA

View Full Version : Oher minus "The Blind Side"

foozball
04-23-2009, 07:50 PM
if Michael Oher was never a subject in the book, would your thoughts of him as a player change?

the decider13
04-23-2009, 07:51 PM
no........

WMD
04-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I was wrong about Johnny Tremain as a Pro Prospect.. but I know I'm right about Michael Oher!

art vandelay
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Hard to say. I have read the book and it profiles his background much more than his play on the field. His play speaks for himself. I think people underrate him - he improved every year at Ole Miss.

A Perfect Score
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I have said it before and Ill say it again, Oher will be the best OT out of this class. If anything, I think the book has hurt his status as a prospect, with the whole learning disability business and the intelligence questions. The kid didnt surrender a sack in his junior and senior seasons, he has everything you look for in a tackle, and I dont know where people get this he is a better RT then LT business, the kid is a stud.

Don Vito
04-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I have said it before and Ill say it again, Oher will be the best OT out of this class. If anything, I think the book has hurt his status as a prospect, with the whole learning disability business and the intelligence questions. The kid didnt surrender a sack in his junior and senior seasons, he has everything you look for in a tackle, and I dont know where people get this he is a better RT then LT business, the kid is a stud.

I don't know if it is because I am an Ole Miss homer or it is because I have seen him play firsthand for two years in a row, but I think this kid is an elite prospect. I will agree with APS in that he is the best LT in this class. Since his sophmore year up until now people have been saying he will be a better guard or RT in the NFL. Oher has everything you look for in a LT-size, freakish athleticism, toughness, a mean streak, and the ability to dominate in the passing and running game. The only question mark Oher has is his "intelligence". He could use some work on his technique to adjust to the pro game, but I really think he will be an All-Pro. He has the coachability and the attitude that will allow him to improve and that gives him the ability to be one of the game's best.

Saints-Tigers
04-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Haven't gotten around to reading "The Blind Side", but I think Oher is the best LT prospect in the class.

marshallb
04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm a huge fan of Oher's, and no it wouldn't change my opinion of him. I think there is a good chance that he could be the best tackle out of this class, I think he is another case of being overscouted. Right now, in my tackle rankings, I have Oher 2nd behind Monroe and ahead of Jason Smith and Andre Smith.

Smokey Joe
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
No one would care as much about his background, but he'd still be a top talent, and maybe even rated higher. A lot of discussion has been had that Oher might not be smart enough and there's a risk with taking him away from his family, etc.

Also, either way, I will go on record as saying Oher will be the best tackle from this draft class. He's got the potential to be the best and most complete LT, IMO.

Matthew Jones
04-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I love Oher as a person, but as a prospect I'm not very enthusiastic. He looked pretty good for the most part in college, but I feel like he skated by on size and athleticism more than actually being a great football player. At the Senior Bowl, I was not impressed - I expected to see an elite prospect out there and instead he got beat fairly regularly. I think he's clearly not as good of a player as any of the other three top offensive tackles. I think he'll have to play right tackle in the NFL. His desire, mental toughness, intelligence, and technique have all been questioned regularly and I think that's really too much to overcome as far as being a top prospect. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him in the top ten, that's for sure. Going to Detroit at #20 would be a pretty good pick for them. That's more where I think his grade should be. Where it will be? I think he has a real shot at going #10.

sbh15
04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I would have heard of him during fall instead of summer and been shocked when I saw his parents were white and not very big what so ever during the Cotton Bowl.

Larry121283
04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I love Oher as a person, but as a prospect I'm not very enthusiastic. He looked pretty good for the most part in college, but I feel like he skated by on size and athleticism more than actually being a great football player. At the Senior Bowl, I was not impressed - I expected to see an elite prospect out there and instead he got beat fairly regularly. I think he's clearly not as good of a player as any of the other three top offensive tackles. I think he'll have to play right tackle in the NFL. His desire, mental toughness, intelligence, and technique have all been questioned regularly and I think that's really too much to overcome as far as being a top prospect. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him in the top ten, that's for sure. Going to Detroit at #20 would be a pretty good pick for them. That's more where I think his grade should be. Where it will be? I think he has a real shot at going #10.

In the SEC, you don't really get by with just athleticism and size. Everyone is big, everyone has athleticism.

Oher is a victim of the typical "we've seen him so much now we are just going to pick him apart to no end"...same thing happened to Eugene Monroe as well and its a reason why a player like Jason Smith is hot hot hot as a prospect...enough film to tell he is really good, but not enough to get down and dirty and to pick him apart like the wings of a fly.

The only real issue with Oher is that he tends to be a bit inconsistent in his engaging a DE at the point of contact. At times, he lets a DE come to him and gets him off-balance...excessively correctable at the NFL level, as I'd say MOST linemen come with that habit. Some worse than others.

The kid didn't let up a sack in TWO SEASONS in the SEC. The same SEC that produced 11 defensive ends - drafted - since his freshman year...he's played them all and won pretty much ever war he's been in at the college level.

Brent
04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I think he's underrated at this point. People ignore the fact that he punished DEs as a starter in the best conference and just wrecked fools at the senior bowl. I hope he's a Niner be the end of pick #10.

Don Vito
04-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Oher did do very well at the senior bowl actually, from what I heard and read anyways. I heard Clay Matthews beat him twice but other than that he looked very good. It just seems that Oher kind of has a bullseye on his head and has been over-analyzed, and I do think part of that can be attributed to the publicity he received from the Blind Side. The kid has had more pressure on him than any college lineman over the last few years and as far as I am concerned, that should help him even more in the NFL.

JT Jag
04-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Andre Smith > Michael Oher

3pac
04-24-2009, 03:14 AM
I pray he falls to the Colts. It'd be the best thing I could see happening, unless we count pipe dreams like getting Crabtree or Raji or something completely impossible.

Addict
04-24-2009, 03:16 AM
I pray he falls to the Colts. It'd be the best thing I could see happening, unless we count pipe dreams like getting Crabtree or Raji or something completely impossible.

if he falls, he won't get past the Lions at 20

3pac
04-24-2009, 03:18 AM
if he falls, he won't get past the Lions at 20

Yeah, I know :(

But I can always dream!

Addict
04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I know :(

But I can always dream!

sure you can. I was just trying to save you from having your dreams shattered.

HawkEye30
04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
oher to seattle at four, what!? heyyooooooooooooo

etk
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
if Michael Oher was never a subject in the book, would your thoughts of him as a player change?

No, not at all.