PDA

View Full Version : Curry or Stafford?

Aard
04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Which #1 Lions pick would make you happiest on Saturday?

1) Aaron Curry
2) Matthew Stafford
3) Neither. _________

Aard
04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
After two weeks of trying to justify my hope that the Lions would select Aaron Curry, I'm switching my vote to Matt Stafford.

Even if it's viewed as a monumental and historic trainwreck of a pick ten years from today, it's the right pick for this team this year.

"Go Big or Go Home."

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
The poll should have been, "What will make you go on suicide watch this weekend?" I would have chosen the "draft anyone but Stafford at 1" option.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Why does everyone want Stafford? Staffords nothing special, we need defensive playmakers. If we draft Stafford, we'll have to give him a TE and even another lineman. Thats 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, we need to spend those getting Defensive starters. You people are idiots.

WMD
04-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Why does everyone want Stafford? Staffords nothing special, we need defensive playmakers. If we draft Stafford, we'll have to give him a TE and even another lineman. Thats 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, we need to spend those getting Defensive starters. You people are idiots.
You have no clue. I'll just leave it at that.

LOLitsTomBrady
04-23-2009, 09:18 PM
You have no clue. I'll just leave it at that.

no clue about what? I've watched 15 out of 16 games last season of the Lions, our defense is more pathetic than a Fred Durst sex tape. Our offense is somewhat manageable, we can put points on the board, we cant stop anyone though. So tell me what i dont have a clue about

WMD
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
We don't have to start Stafford right away. I don't know why people seem to think that we will. We're building/"rebuilding", it starts with the QB but it doesn't end there. We're not going to be competitive this year, I'd expect maybe 2-4 wins.. This will be Stafford's development year.

Continue to build with next year's draft, where we can pick up more building blocks like a Left Tackle and Defensive End. If everything goes according to plan, we should be able to put the finishing touches on the rebuilding project with the 2011 draft.

You need a QB to win in the NFL, and the longer we wait on one, the longer we'll be a loser.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
no clue about what? I've watched 15 out of 16 games last season of the Lions, our defense is more pathetic than a Fred Durst sex tape. Our offense is somewhat manageable, we can put points on the board, we cant stop anyone though. So tell me what i dont have a clue about

It doesn't ******* matter whether we address the offense or defense. We have 10 glaring positions of need.

It's OK that you don't like Stafford, but don't use this argument because it doesn't hold. Our defense is the worst in the league, and so is our current trio of QB's.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I swear, Lions fans are like a broken record spinning on the "build in the trenches," "defense wins championships" track.

So ******* cliche.

TheDoctor8
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM

If you don't think that a QB is important look at Minny. Great O-Line, great RB, great defense. Why haven't they played in a Super Bowl?? Because they have had people like Gus Ferotte and Tavaris Jackson start games for them the past year. The whole attitude starts obviously with the head coach, but flows through the quarterback.

I also think that Stafford's basement is at least a competent NFL starter, he would be like a very poor mans Favre. Like really poor but still he would be able to make plays with Calvin on the outside. I mean Orlovsky put us in situations to win games last year. He was freakin' terrible, I would have taken Stafford from last year over DanO.

SINCE1978
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
This is not about 1 pick gentlemen ... let me be the voice of reason ... compromise ... whatever you want to call it.
Yes, we all agree or D was God-awful last year.
and
Yes we all agree, our O is sort of serviceable with C Pepp getting it to Johnson/Johnson/Smith.

BUT we can get the franchise QB (gulp) and still get 3 impact defenders in this draft at DT, MLB and S or DE. This is not a 1 year fix mind you, but with 3 starters on D from the 09 draft, combined with All Pro Peterson and solid starting CB Buchanon (along with Grady Jackson & Travis Henry) the D is starting to take shape. I understand it is not Baltimore or Philadelphia or Pittsburgh good yet but it will not be last in the league in 2009 with these additions ... probably still bottom 1/3 but this is the Lions ... we're taking baby steps ;o) (lol!)
So we get our gun slinger and 3 impact defenders. let's play some ball!

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Consider this:

The Lions had THE WORST coaching staff you could possibly assemble last year. The fact that we have the Schwartz and competant coordinators alone will improve our team.

Seriously. Remember all the times we complained about Colletto's play calling? And Marinelli's absolute refusal to make adjustments to his defensive scheme?

Yeah, we won't have those problems this year. That'll be good for a couple wins by itself.

Calvin & Kevin
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah I would reiterate to everyone screaming LIONS NEED DEFENSIVE PLAYERS YAH... we DO have four other picks in the first three rounds, you know. People act like if we take Stafford that automatically means we're ignoring defense for the entire draft. And no we don't have to take a TE and a this and a that to go along with Stafford. We need OL help anyway so yes I want to see at least one OL in those first five picks, Stafford or no Stafford.

Strongside
04-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I want someone to throw to Calvin Johnson.

Xiomera
04-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I want someone to throw to Calvin Johnson.

Don't we all, my friend. Don't we all.

ironman4579
04-23-2009, 11:14 PM
It doesn't ******* matter whether we address the offense or defense. We have 10 glaring positions of need.

It's OK that you don't like Stafford, but don't use this argument because it doesn't hold. Our defense is the worst in the league, and so is our current trio of QB's.

I think you've missed a few Xio....................

detfan
04-24-2009, 01:32 AM
The only way Stafford doesn't start this year is IF Culpepper performs well. Its all boils down to making money, and if Culpepper doesn't win games they are going to make the change to Stafford to increase ticket sales (assuming they actually sell out games in the beginning of the year). Perfect example within the org. was with Joey Harrington, Remember when the plan was to let McMahon play Joeys first year and Joey sit on the bench?? Well, two games into the season they made the change. Now obviously it was a different coaching staff and GM but its still a very plausable possibility.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
The playing Stafford question is tricky. It's all about if Stafford is ready. Week 8 would not be a bad time to make the switch

Lets compare the situations of Stafford and Joey

Joey literally had no weapons. None, zip zilch in 2002.

Stafford has Calvin Johnson(that alone is huge),Kevin Smith and Bryant Johnson isn't too shabby(better than what Joey had).So we are not sending Stafford out there with an empty cupboard like Joey had.

Joey had a younger Oline. Joey's Oline had Backus with 100 less starts(Backus was the bright spot last year and I trust he can do enough to protect Stafford, its the guards/center I'm worried about/if Stafford is ready). The guards/centers for Joey were terrible until finally in 2004 we got Woody(who had one good year in 2004) and Joeys Right Tackle was Stockar McDougle(who busted). Lions have the ability to get a good guard in this draft, Backus is above average IMO,Raiola(with way more starts) is average at best but here for one year at least and we have Gosder who progressed well last year. Much better Oline situation for Stafford than what Joey had.

Finally pro ready. Joey had a spread type Tedford system. He was far from pro ready. I think Stafford is the most pro ready out of this year and next years classes. He played in pro style, called the line protection/audibles at Georgia and the guy is used to running for his life/having good pocket presense to avoid the sacks at Georgia from his junior year. Stafford had a good year with weapons and no Oline. That is what he will have in the NFL, good weapons but no Oline(interior).

We'll have to baby him some but we can't baby him too much. Either he has it or he doesn't. We won't judge sharply until the 2011 season anyway. Plus the bar is set pretty low. More tds than ints, even by one td over int is an improvement lol.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-24-2009, 09:13 AM
I swear, Lions fans are like a broken record spinning on the "build in the trenches," "defense wins championships" track.

So ******* cliche.

Talent and coaching wins championships. That what people should be saying.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Talent and coaching wins championships. That what people should be saying.

Yep there is no secret formula to the order of the picks you need to make. You cant' be like we need MLB then OL, then QB, then a CB and boom we're a champion. Talent and coaching is all it is, no matter how you get it. Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls under Cowher/Tomlin. All while Dick LeBeau was the D Coordinator, when LeBeau was elsewhere defense took a step back and they lacked a franchise QB.

It's more like, hit on as many draft picks and free agents as you can is the formula. No matter what Round but mainly Rounds 1-3. Millen did not do this on any aspect, with any round , or with any free agent, so therefore perpetual suckage.

Prowler
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
culpepper recently had 3 completely shredded ligaments in his knee. both stanton and henson are gone soon, so a young heir is needed. stafford called his own protection and audibles, has a cannon arm, and has the luxury of being able to go slow by starting on the bench. also, we will have whole new corners and interior to our defense for next year. buchannon, grady jackson, julian peterson, and competent coaching have to count for something.

MagicStick20
04-24-2009, 04:01 PM
I am going to say take Curry or Stafford. Lions D was god awful last season, and we all know defence wins championships!!

Addict
04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I am going to say take Curry or Stafford. Lions D was god awful last season, and we all know defence wins championships!!

I'd point out the irony, but I think it's pretty ******* obvious.

Aard
04-24-2009, 06:36 PM

On one level, this is my thinking exactly. Go with either Curry, or Stafford, and run with that decision. Schwartz should get the guy he wants to define this franchise for the next couple seasons (or much, much more than that) and coach his ass off. If we see improvement in 2009, he'll be given the leeway to continue along his chosen path.

And yet, on the other hand, I also think the very best thing the Lions could do with the Number One Pick is to select their favorite OT -- Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe -- and go forward from there. If it's Smith, build that running game attack and let Daunte Culpepper hand off to Kevin Smith. If it's Monroe, let Culpepper loft the ball up to Johnson & Johnson. In either case, build the offensive and defensive lines this year, add a free-agent QB and focus on getting The Right Guy At QB in 2010.

In any case, I'm not making the pick. Men with more knowledge of the situation than I have, more at stake in that decision than I would want, will make the call and reap the whirlwind of subsequent wins and losses, and the inevitable fan uproar.