PDA

View Full Version : Why do we watch it?

HawkEye30
04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I was in the process of reserving the big screen tv in my house for the entire weekend when I was asked what my fascination with the draft was, and i honestly i was speechless i just couldnt put into words(for a non draft fan) why i follow it so closely, so basically guys why do we watch it?

BeerBaron
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Thread title = BLASPHEMY

If they have to ask you to explain why you watch it, they'll never be able to understand.

Strongside
04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Why do we american football draft?

GB12
04-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Why do we follow it? Because we are hardcore football fans interested in what our teams are going to do to improve and/or follow the players we've watched on the college level.

Why do we watch it? Because we have spent so much time following it and we are impatient. You could go online the day after and find out the results in 5 minutes, but we'd rather watch for hours just to get the results as soon as possible.

RagingColt
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
It's a soap opera for guys. Do we need to go any further?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Because we like the pain of seeing our teams blow it year after year. We keep trying, thinking this time will be different, but just like a bad ex-girlfriend it never is. But we can never stop, never say no. No matter how many times your team drafts Jarvis Moss, or George Foster, or anyone else, you keep hoping that once, just once, you might get a franchise QB. And then, just as you're falling in love he is ripped away, ripped away forever. And you are back to square 1.

ratiffshabang
04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
personally i just love it. i'd rather watch the NFL Draft over the Super Bowl, and its not even close. its just so incredibly interesting to see where these college players get picked and by who. i love to hear how the analyst think they can impact our teams. this is seriously my favorite event of the entire year, more than Christmas.

derza222
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
personally i just love it. i'd rather watch the NFL Draft over the Super Bowl, and its not even close. its just so incredibly interesting to see where these college players get picked and by who. i love to hear how the analyst think they can impact our teams. this is seriously my favorite event of the entire year, more than Christmas.

Lol I actually have started referring to the draft as April Christmas.

I think GB12 summed it up perfectly.

I also love the draft because it is truly unpredictable, both on draft day and with who plans out. It's all guesswork, but you can analyze it forever and still not get it right. So that's always fun.

Sniper
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Because we like the pain of seeing our teams blow it year after year. We keep trying, thinking this time will be different, but just like a bad ex-girlfriend it never is. But we can never stop, never say no. No matter how many times your team drafts Jarvis Moss, or George Foster, or anyone else, you keep hoping that once, just once, you might get a franchise QB. And then, just as you're falling in love he is ripped away, ripped away forever. And you are back to square 1.

Or maybe your team trades out of the first round only to trade back up for a terrible QB who should never play in the NFL...

3pac
04-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Because everyone loves making predictions, everyone loves seeing their team gain something, everyone loves feeling excited about the future, and everyone enjoys men talking about football for hours and hours on end.

Staubach12
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Because my team can gain a new face, and new hope. It's why we American Football.

the decider13
04-23-2009, 10:59 PM

why must you bring up all of this pain for us?!?!

E-Man
04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I think the reason has to do with getting your football fix in. Out of the three biggest sports in the U.S.A. football is by far the shortest in terms of games. If a team makes it to the Super Bowl they play 23 or 24 games overall. That's 4 preseason games, 16 regular season games, 2 or 3 playoff games, and the Super Bowl. Compare that to the MLB or NBA. In those two leagues you see teams play on a daily basis. Every team won't play every single day, but with the schedules that are played there are games held everyday. In football we wait for a week. Win or lose we have to wait 7 days to see our team go at it again. All that waiting makes us want it more and more. Therefore we watch analysis, read newspapers, blogs, talk with fellow fans, whatever to get our football fix in. Then the big day comes and we get to see our favorite team for three hours. Then the cycle continues all over again. Think of what happens after the season. You do all that talking, hyping, speculating, and whatever, and then you've only got 16-19 meaningful games of experience with your favorite team. After spending 5 months of waiting to see your favorite team play what do you think happens next? More waiting. This is the strength of the NFL by the way. We spend so much time waiting to see the games that we never get take them for granted. We only have a small window to see what we like, so when it comes we make sure we're available.

That's why the draft is so big. We as football fans are essentially huge anticipaters(I made that word up lol). We see enough to get our beaks wet, but we're always left yearning for more. Whether your team wins the Super Bowl or goes 0-16 "there's always next year." The draft wets out appetites up a little more before a big long drought of nothing. We get a chance to see our teams in some kind of action again after a few months of nothing concrete happening. Hence why the draft and the NFL will continue to be big business. Also think of it this way. You and your wife have great sex. The best sex ever in history. The only problem is that she has these long drawn out periods that keep this great sex from happening on occasion. You get 5 months of heavenly sex, then a 2 month break, and then she's open again for a weekend. During that weekend you're probably going to have sex at break neck speed to get your fill in before you have to wait 5 more months to get it again.

Football is your wife with the great sex. The draft is that weekend. This is why the draft is so big. There are many other variables such as the ability to see the beginning your favorite college player's career, the expansion of the media to give us access to the event, and some other things. But the biggest thing is getting our fix in. Us hardcore fans got to have our football fix.

3pac
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Football is your wife with the great sex. The draft is that weekend. This is why the draft is so big. There are many other variables such as the ability to see the beginning your favorite college player's career, the expansion of the media to give us access to the event, and some other things. But the biggest thing is getting our fix in. Us hardcore fans got to have our football fix.

So is watching Matt Stafford go #1 overall the orgasm?

E-Man
04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
So is watching Matt Stafford go #1 overall the orgasm?

lol Naw you don't blow your wad that fast.

PACKmanN
04-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Its Why We American Football!!!!

BRAVEHEART
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
That's why we american football!!!

The Dynasty
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
We watch it because it bring hope to all teams. It allows a team a fresh start and this is were Championship teams are built. Plus its fun to watch.

farfromforgotten
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Because Mel Kiper Jr is sexy.

or

I will just echo what several posters ahead of me have said and say because of HOPE.

TitanHope
04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
The regular season is the wedding ceremony, the post-season is the reception, and the Draft is the honeymoon full of kinky lovin'.

That's why we 'Murrrican Football!

hagy34
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Because it's the NFL in April. What could be better?????

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Because Mel Kiper Jr is sexy.

or

I will just echo what several posters ahead of me have said and say because of HOPE.

Certainly not because of TitanHope though. That guy is a dick. :D

Shahin
04-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Why do we american football draft?

i seriously just laughed out loud.

edit//for the entire thread.

That's why we 'Murrrican Football!

That's why we american football!!!

Its Why We American Football!!!!

trkaline
04-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Because Al Gore told me if I didn't watch it ManBearPig will eat me..and he sounded super serial...

kalbears13
04-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Because the Browns go to the playoffs anymore.

And no matter what happens you can't lose the draft (at the time). (there are exceptions though sometimes...)

Handel
04-24-2009, 03:35 AM
I think because it is both an intellectual and an emotional gratification to predict how the players will be called and to know the players our team will get.

I think too that the fact it is a long process add to the gratification level.

Addict
04-24-2009, 03:40 AM
"That's why we football"

it's a classic.

TitanHope
04-24-2009, 03:43 AM
Certainly not because of TitanHope though. That guy is a dick. :D

Oh yeah? Well... Crap!

You win this round Mr. Chris, but next time I shall have the last laugh!

*strokes kitty*

Muahahahahahahaha!

Addict
04-24-2009, 03:46 AM
Oh yeah? Well... Crap!

You win this round Mr. Chris, but next time I shall have the last laugh!

*strokes kitty*

Muahahahahahahaha!

great, now the voice I read your posts with will have to change from Tenderheart the care bear to Dr. Claw.

Niners_2152
04-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Exactly my thoughts. It's like Christmas morning as a kid. There is so much excitement... teams can be made or broken on these 2 days. Trades, players dropping and rising, shocking picks, where does your favorite player go, where do people from your favorite college go, etc.

ENJOY GUYS, After this weekend we will have 363 to go :(

Caddy
04-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I honestly don't know why I it.

Yatta!
04-24-2009, 08:27 AM
I get asked this question all the time, most people over here struggle to understand the concept.

killxswitch
04-24-2009, 08:48 AM
It's the culmination of years of watching college games (and highlights) I don't particularly care about for the sake of finding out who the best prospects are. It is the summing up of months of reading articles, tracking down recordings and highlight tapes, arguing on the internet, screaming at TV/radio personalities that have no idea WTF they're talking about, and praying your teams' personnel guy is secretly reading what you say and taking notes even though you know that is stupid.

It's a time of hope, and after the final four, NBA, and baseball crap dominating most sports media for months, it's about damn time they got back to talking about football.

And even though I haven't been here long enough to get the joke, it's why we American Football!!!

JRTPlaya21
04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Too see where the college kids are gonna go. Plus to see what idiotic thing some teams do.

LizardState
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
"That's why we football"

^^^^
Words to live by.

We obsessively watch the draft b/c it's the only time we fans of our viciously competitive pro sports corporation, aka an NFL team, can see that team compete against the other 31 teams simultaneously.

Or watch the front office scouts, suits, geeks, & team owner's lickspittle sycophant posses lie, cheat, swindle, & otherwise scam the opposition -- yeah sportsfans, it's all about NFL humiliation & hubris on a lavish scale, & that's why it's just not the draft without the following:

Some team late to the podium with their pick & the gallery fans screaming "Forfeit! Forfeit!" (but they never do)
Mike Mayock rumor-mongering
Several incredibly mind-boggling dumbass one-sided trades that pundits say is "a win-win for both teams"
Chris Mortensen & his ongoing NFL gossip column
The obligatory Jerry Jones interview
Chris Berman's bellowing bombastics
The NY gallery crowd chanting their fave player's name when the Jets or Giants are about to select & booing for 5-7 mins. after when they take someone else
The Commissioner mispronouncing the name of a player from Polynesia or Nigeria
Rich Eisen smirking on cue
A reporter ad libbing something stupid without realizing his mike is hot
Mike Ditka saying something stupid 80% of the time he says anything

Brent
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
You think I want to spend my time doing something constructive? Please.

FlyingElvis
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Why do we follow it? Because we are hardcore football fans interested in what our teams are going to do to improve and/or follow the players we've watched on the college level.

Why do we watch it? Because we have spent so much time following it and we are impatient. You could go online the day after and find out the results in 5 minutes, but we'd rather watch for hours just to get the results as soon as possible.

My fiancee actually said these exact words the other day. I started laughing and said "You could do the same for American Idol. How many hours do you spend watching that crap each week?"

So endeth the lesson.

Brent
04-24-2009, 11:44 AM
You could do the same for American Idol. How many hours do you spend watching that crap each week?
epic win, right there.

HawkEye30
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
haha great response's guys this is pretty much everything i told the person that asked but i was just looking for your input, or some smart a$$ comment i could say to the guy lol thanks

Tornadosoul7
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
My answer would be because it is the intersection of my two favorite things, college and the NFL.

TWO FAVORITE DAYS OF THE YEAR!!!!!