PDA

View Full Version : If the Redskins draft QB, Campbell will demand a trade

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Jason Campbell will request to be traded should the Redskins acquire a quarterback in this weekend’s draft, according to a source familiar with the situation.

The Redskins, who have the 13th overall pick in this weekend’s draft, reportedly have shown substantial interest in USC QB Mark Sanchez. However, Sanchez could be selected in the top five — long before the Redskins are scheduled to pick.

The Redskins likely would have to trade up to take Sanchez. If they were to land Sanchez, it would mark the second time they have made an attempt to acquire a quarterback in the past few weeks. Washington reportedly made trade overtures toward Denver for Jay Cutler before he was dealt to Chicago.

Campbell, a first-round pick by the Redskins in 2005, has said he wasn’t bothered by the team’s inquiry for Cutler. However, another attempt to secure Campbell’s replacement or successor wouldn’t go over well.

– Steve Wyche

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/23/campbell-will-ask-for-trade-if-redskins-draft-a-qb/

its understandable and someone like the Vikings should be all over that

stephenson86
04-24-2009, 06:59 AM
fair enough

Gay Ork Wang
04-24-2009, 07:09 AM
what happened to his development? he looked great the first 8 games and then there was a dropoff

MooshooGawd
04-24-2009, 07:15 AM
A rough guess at how the Redskins future will go if they make the trade up for Sanchez...

- The draft Sanchez and deal Campbell.

- Sanchez struggles but shows signs of progression late in the season; however the Redskins don't have a winning record.

- Danny boy fires Zorn and Sanchez is forced to learn another offense, thus more struggling.

- Danny boy fires the new offensive coordinator and Sanchez is forced to learn yet another system.

- Sanchez is on the trading block in 2011.

stephenson86
04-24-2009, 07:27 AM
washington never reach a superbowl again lol

Addict
04-24-2009, 07:34 AM
A rough guess at how the Redskins future will go if they make the trade up for Sanchez...

- The draft Sanchez and deal Campbell.

- Sanchez struggles but shows signs of progression late in the season; however the Redskins don't have a winning record.

- Danny boy fires Zorn and Sanchez is forced to learn another offense, thus more struggling.

- Danny boy fires the new offensive coordinator and Sanchez is forced to learn yet another system.

- Sanchez is on the trading block in 2011.

harsh, but not unrealistic. (also: 7000!)

bigmac076
04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
All I heard from any of the media last year was how great this kid was, what in the world happend? This is a very odd situation.

DiG
04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
what happened to his development? he looked great the first 8 games and then there was a dropoff

He didn't look "great" the first 8 games. The only "great" statistic in those 8 games was his low number of interceptions which was a direct result of his fear of making the difficult throw. Through 8 games he had thrown 0 interceptions but he had also only thrown 7 touchdown passes. In the second half, once teams realized that he locks in on his receivers and isn't going to throw to his 2nd or 3rd option, his ints went up and his tds went down, finishing the year with a measly 13 tds and 6 ints. The Skins were 29th in the NFL for passing plays over 40 yards with only 3 and 28th in the league for passing plays over 20 yards.

Blame the receivers all you want but in 2005, Brunnell through for 23 tds with 10 ints. The Skins were 5th in the NFL with plays over 40 yards and top 10 for plays over 20 yards and he had Moss, Patten, James Thrash, and Taylor Jacobs as his leading receivers...

Bottom line: Campbell is not a franchise quarterback. He lacks any form of leadership, has no swagger, has a slow release, and locks on his receivers. He's a great guy and hes got a lot of athleticism and a strong arm but he just doesn't have the intangibles.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Snyder needs to hire a GM and stop picking the players!!

Unfortunately for SKins fans, Danny boy is a young owner, mid-40s, and it may be an entire decade before he realizes he has no philosophy for building a winning team and approaches the draft like fantasy football and needs to bring in professionals and let them do their job.

If they draft Sanchez, ( hope they don't), watch Colt end up the starter at the end of preseason, which will literally make Snyder's head explode.

To me, Campbell was ruined by playing under Joe Gibbs who emphasized the worst thing he could do is turn the ball over. Consequently, he became extremely tentative in driving the ball downfield unless a WR was running free by 5 yards.
JC is just too risk averse in the passing game, which is a losing strategy for a big, strong armed QB.

The whole point is to make calculated risks, which isn't the same as being a Brett Favre type gunslinger under center.

It will become painfully obvious when Campbell is gone that the problems the Skins had scoring weren't entirely the blame of the Oline and WRs.

21ST
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
This would be great but i say way make him play if we cant get atleast a 2nd

Addict
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe Colt Brennan will finally get to show he's the real thing.

21ST
04-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe Colt Brennan will finally get to show he's the real thing.

If we draft Sanchez i think we might promote Colt to Head Coach

killxswitch
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
The wacky Dan Snyder is always entertaining.

Geo
04-24-2009, 09:13 AM
This is the funniest thing. Demand something that would happen anyway the minute they get Sanchez.

When they were trying to get Cutler, rumor was the Redskins already came to terms with another team on a trade for Jason Campbell (supposedly at least a 2nd round pick).

Byrd430
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Campbell is an able QB, game manager, and athlete. Not so high on leadership, and this guy won't take the Skins to a Super Bowl. With Eli Manning (Giants), Tony Romo (Cowboys), and Donovan McNabb (Eagles), each team in the division has proven winners (although Romo will have to show that he can win a playoff game).

Campbell is an average QB, a solid starter IMO, but not a guy who can carry them to the playoffs. In any case, I definitely agree with MooShoo. I don't think ANY QB will be able to lead Washington when the schemes change every year.

andyjo672
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Vikings will take him. We'll throw in JDB to sweeten the deal for the Skins.

703SKINS202
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Not a shocker. Just read what Dirty30 says hes 100% right on.

SaintsFanForLife
04-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Danny boy will do something stupid by the end of the draft.

Donno
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM

You mean Danny girl?

hugegmenfan
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Im a Giants fan and i actually think Jason Campbell is a solid QB. He's good- not great. Portis is a great back behind him and Moss is a solid WR but i think if Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly can actually develop with him, he could be a very good player in this league. He is not a game changer, and not a guy who is gonna revolutionize an offense but if the pieces around him are solid and the 2nd year WRs on the skins play up to their potential he could be fine. They have other needs besides QB and i think trading a lot for sanchez would be a mistake on their part

Splat
04-24-2009, 04:24 PM

I hope it involves the Chiefs.

Nalej
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I hope it involves the Chiefs.

Or the Pats

DiG
04-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Im a Giants fan and i actually think Jason Campbell is a solid QB. He's good- not great. Portis is a great back behind him and Moss is a solid WR but i think if Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly can actually develop with him, he could be a very good player in this league. He is not a game changer, and not a guy who is gonna revolutionize an offense but if the pieces around him are solid and the 2nd year WRs on the skins play up to their potential he could be fine. They have other needs besides QB and i think trading a lot for sanchez would be a mistake on their part

you have more faith than most skins fans who have to watch him every sunday. hes never going to be more than an 8 or 9 win quarterback in this league anywhere.

D-Unit
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm praying Campbell is still the Redskins QB on Monday.

Byrd430
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
you have more faith than most skins fans who have to watch him every sunday. hes never going to be more than an 8 or 9 win quarterback in this league anywhere.

Didn't Campbell win 11 games in 2005? Including a first round playoff win over TB? Before losing by just 10 to the eventual NFC Champion Seahawks?

Granted that was his only good season. But remember last season, the OLine broke down, causing Portis to get stuffed, which made the Redskins one-dimensional. With a running game that started stumbling, an o-line breaking down, and a receiving corps who failed to have a consistent #2 option, it's hard for Campbell to look good. The Redskins collapse last season was not Campbell's fault.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Didn't Campbell win 11 games in 2005? Including a first round playoff win over TB? Before losing by just 10 to the eventual NFC Champion Seahawks?

Granted that was his only good season. But remember last season, the OLine broke down, causing Portis to get stuffed, which made the Redskins one-dimensional. With a running game that started stumbling, an o-line breaking down, and a receiving corps who failed to have a consistent #2 option, it's hard for Campbell to look good. The Redskins collapse last season was not Campbell's fault.

No lol that was Mark Brunell. Jason Campbell has never played in a playoff game before. In 07 he missed the end of the year and Todd Collins was our QB.

DiG
04-24-2009, 10:17 PM

That was actually Brunnell who had arguably worse wide receivers and also had injuries on the o line.

Byrd430
04-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Somehow, I knew I was wrong........

My apologies...

Chris777
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
if the Jets let the Redskins **** them again im gonna be so pissed.

Years ago we let them become the Jetskins, hell we even traded a pro bowl receiver for a receiver we let walk. Wow, just wow.

Now we were the **** because of exactly that.

Nalej
04-24-2009, 11:38 PM
J. Campbell would make the Vikings DANGEROUS

JRTPlaya21
04-24-2009, 11:41 PM
This is the last year I'll have any faith in Jason.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-25-2009, 06:01 AM
J. Campbell would make the Vikings DANGEROUS

That's the thing he won't make a team "dangerous.". With that said as a game manager who doesn't turn it over and can make the occasional big play he'd be perfect for the Vikings as you are a run heavy/defensive oriented team, not that the Skin's aren't though.