PDA

View Full Version : Pats Trying To Move Into Top Ten?

Splat
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Pats Trying To Move Into Top Ten (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/24/pats-trying-to-move-into-top-ten/)

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Patriots are trying to move into the top ten (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/draft/index.html?eref=sircrc).

Per King, executives from two different teams said that the Pats have offered their first-round pick and one of their three second-rounders (No. 47 overall) to move into the No. 8 spot, currently held by Jacksonville. Jags G.M. Gene Smith declined the offer.

King says that the Pats might also be trying to trade up to No. 9 with the Packers.

Presently, the Pats’ target isn’t known.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
OL, Orakpo or Tyson Jackson. Just a guess!

coordinator0
04-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I would say Orakpo is their target, but who knows with NE.

killxswitch
Sanchez. QB is obviously a need.

Splat
OL, Orakpo or Tyson Jackson. Just a guess!

They all pretty much set at DL I would say OL or LB.

T-RICH49
04-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey Bill work a trade with you buddy Scott.we'll take your first and our original 2nd back :D

ElectricEye
04-24-2009, 12:32 PM
It'll be extremely hard for us to trade up if Sanchez falls, but I really wouldn't mind going after Orakpo or Aaron Mabin a bit later.

Don Vito
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
If it only took us #23 and one of our second rounders to get into the top ten in order to get someone the coaches really want, I wouldn't be opposed to doing it.

Brent
04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I am guessing Orakpo. Those three 2nd rounders are where they are going to get some great value.

04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Raji? Wilfork's contract is up after the year, I believe.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Raji? Wilfork's contract is up after the year, I believe.

So is Seymour.

Give me Wilfork before Seymour even thought Wilfork might want near Haynesworth money.

TACKLE
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I could definitely see Michael Oher. Three of there starting O-Lineman, Nick Kaczur, Stephen Neal and Logan Mankins, along with backup OT Ryan O'Callahan. With the Free Agents they'll have to resign on the D-Line, picking up Oher who can come in play RT, maybe even play G as a rookie, and can also eventually play LT is something that may be very appealing.

Though I am skeptical that an organization like the Patriots would let something like this get out this close to the draft.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I think it will be for Orakpo, Oher or Andre Smith. I really don't think it will be Jackson. Even without Seymour there is still Green, Warren, Wright and they recently resigned Kenny Smith. It will be an immediate impact guy if they trade up IMO

Paranoidmoonduck
04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if it's for either Tyson Jackson or Everette Brown, although moving up to #8 for Brown would seem excessive unless Green Bay is more interested in him than I know.

Don Vito
04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I highly doubt it will be Raji. Wilfork is our top priority this offseason (Mankins too) and we have already had some negotiations with him, I am pretty certain he is staying. As for Jackson, 3-4 DE is nowhere near a top 10 need for us. Even if Seymour leaves after next season, we still have some quality depth at the position and we will probably just look at some guys after the first round.

As AntoinCD said, it will most likely be an immediate impact guy. They may pull a slight reach on someone like we did with Mayo last year, perhaps Maualuga. I would love to see us look at a left tackle or linebacker there.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I highly doubt it will be Raji. Wilfork is our top priority this offseason (Mankins too) and we have already had some negotiations with him, I am pretty certain he is staying. As for Jackson, 3-4 DE is nowhere near a top 10 need for us. Seymour may be gone next year, but we still have some quality depth at the position and we will probably just look at some guys after the first round.

Yea definitely agree there, contract talks have already started with Wilfork who says he wants to finish his career a Patriot and Mankins would be next I would imagine

TNPatsFan
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I could definitely see Michael Oher. Three of there starting O-Lineman, Nick Kaczur, Stephen Neal and Logan Mankins, along with backup OT Ryan O'Callahan. With the Free Agents they'll have to resign on the D-Line, picking up Oher who can come in play RT, maybe even play G as a rookie, and can also eventually play LT is something that may be very appealing.

Though I am skeptical that an organization like the Patriots would let something like this get out this close to the draft.

According to King, the Patriots didn't let it out but they got it from the other teams that the Pats were talking to. One thing to remember, though, is if the Pats are talking to teams and those teams start blabbing, it could be enough for the Pats to end the discussions right there.

If they do end up moving up, my guess is it would be for Jackson or possibly Raji. They are going to address their D-Line in this draft I am convinced of that. But the article says they are looking at an offensive player. The only possible offensive player(s) I can imagine them going after in the top 10 would be one of the OT's.

I'd personally rather see them trade up to the 11 to 15 range for either Jenkins or E.Brown.

I_C_DeadPeople
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
They would not move to #8 for A Smith because they would have to know he is a likely pick by the Bengals at #6.

NIN1984
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I would make that trade in a second. DHB will probably be on the board at 23.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Yea definitely agree there, contract talks have already started with Wilfork who says he wants to finish his career a Patriot and Mankins would be next I would imagine

I saw Wilfork say that yet he said and if things dont work out they dont work out. I saw him on an interview a few weeks on the new englad sports show or something Greg Dickerson and Tanguay's show

Splat
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I saw Wilfork say that yet he said and if things dont work out they dont work out.

I hope they don't work out.:)

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I saw Wilfork say that yet he said and if things dont work out they dont work out. I saw him on an interview a few weeks on the new englad sports show or something Greg Dickerson and Tanguay's show

Yeah I think if he asks for Haynesworth type money he won't be kept but they will go all out to keep him. No point in building a defense through the d-line then possibly letting the two best players on the line walk in the same year.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah I think if he asks for Haynesworth type money he won't be kept but they will go all out to keep him. No point in building a defense through the d-line then possibly letting the two best players on the line walk in the same year.

Yeha I dont think he asks for Albert number but 12-14 mil a year is not out of the question.

one will walk and I'd rather an older Seymour walk and keep Wilforkizzle

ElectricEye
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
They'll have to. There's no way in hell we let the second most important player on the team walk. Raji won't be a factor. We'll franchise Wilfork if we can't work something out this year.

Borat
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't trust crap from Peter King. He's an easy mark for GMs and player personnel people to feed him misinformation.

MooshooGawd
04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
NO! Stop it!

Nobody wanted Andre Smith, remember? He's ours! He was destined to come to Cincinnati. The coaches here love him. For months all the media has done is make fun of this kid and now you've got the 49ers, the Bills and the Patriots all looking to move in a snatch him away from us.

Stop! We've endured enough. Let us have this one.

CashmoneyDrew
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking; Oher, Andre Smith, Cushing, or Maualuga.

FrankGore
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
The Pats generally get rumored to move up a lot when they have multiple picks, but I can't remember the last time they actually did it. I'd say it's more likely they dish a 2nd rounder out for a 1st next year.

If they did move up, I could see them wanting a tackle.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM

I'd be disgusted if it was for Cushing at 8 or 9. I would be ok with taking him at 23 but not top ten. It's too high for Rey as well but wouldn't be quite as bad. Definitely the more I think about it it will be an OT now if they do move up

Babylon
04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Rumors dont mean much at this late stage but if they are moving up i doubt it would be for Orakpo who to me is a 4-3 DE. LT to protect Brady would be the obvious choice to me or possibly WR if Crabtree or Maclin are there. LBs, C and secondary can be addressed later.

Nalej
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Orakpo would be my dream pick @ 8/9
OT would make sense to me as well
Then grab an OLB @ 34 and Best Safety available @ 58

Love Love Love Love

abaddon41_80
04-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Cushing or Maualuga @ 8? I don't think so. I really have no idea who they would want to trade up for but if I had to guess I would say Orakpo or Oher.

EDIT: On second thought, I could see them going after Tyson Jackson.

FlyingElvis
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM

Oher is a good guess.
As mentioned - NE didn't let it out, King got it from the Jags.

I think it will be for Orakpo, Oher or Andre Smith. I really don't think it will be Jackson. Even without Seymour there is still Green, Warren, Wright and they recently resigned Kenny Smith. It will be an immediate impact guy if they trade up IMO
Seymour and Green are both 30, though. Richard is looking like the odd man out at 30 when the other big free-agents-to-be are younger guys.

Sure he wants to finish his career in NE. He probably wants to finish his career as the highest paid DT, too. Which will win . . . ??? My money is on the money.

Tyson Jackson is my guess. Smith is a decent guess due to Saban. My fellow Pats fans have convinced me it would be a good move for Oher, too.

Scott Wright
04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I was told the Pats might also be exploring a move into the Top 20 for Rey Maualuga.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I was told the Pats might also be exploring a move into the Top 20 for Rey Maualuga.

Probably New Orleans or Houston I would guess there to get above San Diego. Definitely prefer this talk to people saying taking him at 8

Nalej
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM

now THAT I would love

LonghornsLegend
04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I highly doubt it will be Raji. Wilfork is our top priority this offseason (Mankins too) and we have already had some negotiations with him, I am pretty certain he is staying. As for Jackson, 3-4 DE is nowhere near a top 10 need for us. Even if Seymour leaves after next season, we still have some quality depth at the position and we will probably just look at some guys after the first round.

As AntoinCD said, it will most likely be an immediate impact guy. They may pull a slight reach on someone like we did with Mayo last yearperhaps Maualuga. I would love to see us look at a left tackle or linebacker there.

Yep, everyone was looking at Mayo as a late 1st round/early 2nd type of guy until right up before the draft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for Mualuaga, although I think top 10 is going too high for him...I don't think Denver would take him at 12, so the teens seems more likely and less expensive.

Geo
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
King's mock draft with trades (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/mock/index.html) (not New England though).

D-Unit
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
They can go to jail for that crime!!!

Geo
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
That would be lovely if the Pats traded up for Maualuga.

I just hope they don't draft Larry English, he would be a stud for them.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Yep, everyone was looking at Mayo as a late 1st round/early 2nd type of guy until right up before the draft, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach for Mualuaga, although I think top 10 is going too high for him...I don't think Denver would take him at 12, so the teens seems more likely and less expensive.

Yea I think Denver go for one of Tyson Jackson, BJ Raji, Malcolm Jenkins, Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at 12 then hope Rey falls to 18. Obviously the first two especially Raji are unlikely to be there at 12 but stranger things have happened

SKim172
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Beanie Wells!!!

Heh.

Although, maybe. Though I doubt they'd need a Top 10 pick for it.

I'd guess Tyson Jackson or Raji, personally.

Geo
New England would have zero trouble trading with either New Orleans at #14 or Houston at #15.

If they want to get ahead of San Diego at #16 or Denver at #18.

Splat
Rey Maualuga in NE is just not fair.

FlyingElvis
04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm hoping a trade to 8 or 9 targets Jackson, Oher or Raji.

A trade to ~15 targeting Rey, Everette Brown or English would be nice. But one of the DE/OLB prospects should make it to 23 anyway, so I'm not sure they need to move.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
King's mock draft with trades (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/mock/index.html) (not New England though).

Just a few reaches there. Barwin at 17? Lesean McCoy at 21? I don't think the Patriots will draft Percy Harvin especially if Rey was there at 23 and Everette Brown falling out of the first and the Lions already taking Ayers at 20. Stop it. It should only take 10 secs for the Ptriots to hand in that card at 31

FlyingElvis
04-24-2009, 02:54 PM
^ Yup. If Rey falls to 23 and NE passes for anyone I'm turning off my t.v.

Nalej
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
^ Yup. If Rey falls to 23 and NE passes for anyone I'm turning off my t.v.

Agreed, sir

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Wonder if it's Maybin? I could see him being an impact pass rusher in the Pats' 3-4.

OT is more logical, IMO in the top ten, in terms of pure value.

The top 4, ( Smith, Smith, Monroe, Oher) grade out very high as LTs, and to me looks like a shrewd Belichick target.

TACKLE
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's a scenario.

1. Stafford
2. Smith
3. Tyson Jackson
4. Curry/Crabtree/Sanchez

5. Patriots trade with the Browns to get Eugene Monroe.

It works out nicely for both teams. If the Pats feel Monroe is the top player in the draft, they jump the Bengals and get their OT. The Browns move back and get better value on a pass rusher like Maybin/Brown/English/Matthews or can take a CB like Vontae or Darius Butler.

GB12
04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if it's for either Tyson Jackson or Everette Brown, although moving up to #8 for Brown would seem excessive unless Green Bay is more interested in him than I know.
I'd love for us to take Brown at 9.