PDA

View Full Version : Another thread for help

tjsunstein
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry, I know it's been overdone and all but when you create a thread solely for this purpose it tends to get more feedback.

What would a foreigner think of america based on what American authors have written?

Essay topic, fml.

Brent
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
They could easily believe whatever you wanted them to. The spectrum of things about America in American literature is so widespread.

Borat
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I could write you a badass essay on the shittiness of France.

AlexDown
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, what American authors have you / are you going to select?

awfullyquiet
04-24-2009, 01:14 PM

take your racism elsewhere. no one likes it.

CJSchneider
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM

As you mention it, any foreigner reading Toni Morrison would think we have a serious race problem.

Borat
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Oh, OK. I didn't know France was a race. I thought it was a cowardly country, but I might be wrong.

tjsunstein
04-24-2009, 01:26 PM

I dont feel like getting this thread closed in less than two hours. And my topic is American authors in general. I hate my professor.

The Unseen
04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh, OK. I didn't know France was a race. I thought it was a cowardly country, but I might be wrong.

How are the citizens cowards? Because their government did certain things that you think are wrong?

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. People =/= government

tjsunstein
04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I hate all of you who continue to hijack my honest thread.
American authors as a whole, How do foreigners percieve them?

nrk
04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
How are the citizens cowards? Because their government did certain things that you think are wrong?

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. People =/= government

What? You mean American citizens doesn't want to be in Iraq and that we're not all warmongers?

Back to the topic, is there a specific era of authors or just American authors in general?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
No hijacking plz. What American Authors have you read TJ? I had two books by Americans to read for English this year (but I didn't). As I Lay Dying by Faulkner and Breakfast of Champions.

the decider13
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
As you mention it, any foreigner reading Toni Morrison would think we have a serious race problem.

Morrison doesn't paint too good of a picture of America lol

You could use books like Beloved and Huck Finn to talk about racial problems in America.

CJSchneider
04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
No hijacking plz. What American Authors have you read TJ? I had two books by Americans to read for English this year (but I didn't). As I Lay Dying by Faulkner and Breakfast of Champions.

He didn't show it there as much but Vonnegut was very critical of the political system. People may think ill of our sociopolitical system if he were our only representation.

tjsunstein
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Narrowed it down to four. Cormac McCarthy, Ernest Hemingway, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Sherwood Anderson.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Don't really no much about American writers but forget those four and go for Mark Twain and Tennessee Williams. Great contemporary writers lol

Addict
04-24-2009, 04:22 PM

That really makes no sense. At least France had the balls to stand up to the USA when they were invading Iraq.

But getting political, shutting up now.

Mr. Hero
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
You should talk about how Ayn Rand and her thoughts on objectivism capture the founding spirit of individual responsibility and pride which is what has made this country great.