PDA

View Full Version : This Year's QB Depth

BeerBaron
04-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Alright, before I start in on my point, I want everyone to go take a look at Scott's updated QB rankings. Take a minute and look....I'll wait.

Hmm Hmm Hmm.........

Ok, see it?

Now, I think it's pretty much a certainty that Stafford and Sanchez will be gone in the top 10, and Freeman at some point in the first round.

After that, I see Bomar, McGee and White all being gone by at least the 4th round. White won't likely be drafted as a pure QB, but he is ranked as such, so I'll include him. I think he could go in the late 2nd round as a wildcat guy. I kind of doubt Bomar and McGee go in the 2nd round, but 3rd and definitely by the 4th, i expect them both to be off the board.

Now, would anyone truly be surprised if no other QBs were drafted?

Nate Davis is the only one Scott gave a mid-rounder grade to, and with only 1 team having gone to his pro day, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see him not get picked. With the (likely) millions of dollars spent by teams on their scouting departments, I was (and still am) quite surprised that only the local Colts sent a scout to his pro day. Now, I haven't heard if he's had any private workouts with anyone...so maybe that could bail him out, but things don't bode well for him. Not sure if it's his learning disability or something else about his personality or work ethic, but something has apparently put a bad taste in team's mouths about him.

Then after that.....(unless I missed one which is possible knowing me)......all of the quarterbacks got a Late-round/UDFA grade from Scott.

Some of the guys with the physical tools and potential could easily go late, Cantwell, Harper, Boltus come to mind.......but with so many teams happy taking UDFA's afterwards as camp arms and potential 3rd/developmental QBs, would it really surprise anyone if NONE were drafted late?

Just something I've been thinking about......What are your thoughts on the matter?

bored of education
04-24-2009, 01:56 PM
You ehard it hear from me. Hunter Cnatwell will be a BEAST. Well i think after reworking his motion he loks very good throwing the ball. I like him as a project with starting potential in 2-3 years.

BeerBaron
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
You ehard it hear from me. Hunter Cnatwell will be a BEAST. Well i think after reworking his motion he loks very good throwing the ball. I like him as a project with starting potential in 2-3 years.

I think if he could have gone back to school for one more year and brought his production up, he could go much higher. He looks the part of a prototypical franchise QB from a size and strength standpoint, I just don't think he got enough time to realize his potential.

Brian Hoyer is another guy I meant to mention above....quite a few teams showed interest in him, but he's another I wouldn't be surprised to see go undrafted.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I think if he could have gone back to school for one more year and brought his production up, he could go much higher. He looks the part of a prototypical franchise QB from a size and strength standpoint, I just don't think he got enough time to realize his potential.

Brian Hoyer is another guy I meant to mention above....quite a few teams showed interest in him, but he's another I wouldn't be surprised to see go undrafted.

I feel the same about Hunter and Mark sanchez ;)
joking

Notredameleo
04-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Cantwell is a senior..He had no more eligibility!!

bored of education
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM

i am a moron! i thought he had a RS

SKim172
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
I know Davis did have a private workout with the Jets.

I expect Davis to be taken 4th or 5th, 6th at the latest. While his fall has been unexpected, it's a weak enough crop that someone will take a flyer on him.

I personally think McGee ends up going before Bomar. McGee just has great positive mojo going his way - Bomar's barely been mentioned. Not that he's done anything to hurt his stock, but he could've used a boost, coming from a small program (his time at Oklahoma almost doesn't count).

I really do like Hunter Cantwell. I think he could be a decent starter a few years down the road, as long as his new throwing motion doesn't screw up his other stuff.

I could see Curtis Painter drafted late as a project - some rumors that teams think he could work out long-term. Drew Willy, I also think has a pretty decent shot at being drafted as a project. There's been murmurs that Hoyer, Mike Teel (I gotta mention him, c'mon) and John Parker friggin' Wilson are being seen as decent backup options, so maybe one of them goes late.

I could also see Cullen Harper and Graham Harrell picked by some team that has no clue what it's doing - just pick up the big name. I could also see Chase Daniel picked by some team that thinks it's really smart and has figured out something no one else has.

But yeah, I could also see nobody else but the top three drafted. But I doubt it - some team will use a throwaway pick on a guy, even just to get a body in camp.

BeerBaron
04-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Thats why I said "if he could have gone back to school....

I know Davis did have a private workout with the Jets.

I expect Davis to be taken 4th or 5th, 6th at the latest. While his fall has been unexpected, it's a weak enough crop that someone will take a flyer on him.

I personally think McGee ends up going before Bomar. McGee just has great positive mojo going his way - Bomar's barely been mentioned. Not that he's done anything to hurt his stock, but he could've used a boost, coming from a small program (his time at Oklahoma almost doesn't count).

I really do like Hunter Cantwell. I think he could be a decent starter a few years down the road, as long as his new throwing motion doesn't screw up his other stuff.

I could see Curtis Painter drafted late as a project - some rumors that teams think he could work out long-term. Drew Willy, I also think has a pretty decent shot at being drafted as a project. There's been murmurs that Hoyer, Mike Teel (I gotta mention him, c'mon) and John Parker friggin' Wilson are being seen as decent backup options, so maybe one of them goes late.

I could also see Cullen Harper and Graham Harrell picked by some team that has no clue what it's doing - just pick up the big name. I could also see Chase Daniel picked by some team that thinks it's really smart and has figured out something no one else has.

But yeah, I could also see nobody else but the top three drafted. But I doubt it - some team will use a throwaway pick on a guy, even just to get a body in camp.

Oh, I for sure think that the top 3, McGee, Bomar and White will all be drafted.

But thats only 6.....5 if you don't want to count Pat White. And the point of my initial post was that I wouldn't be shocked at all if no others were drafted. Will some be? Probably....but I think it shows how weak the QB depth of this draft is that theres a chance none of them will be.

HawkEye30
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
i like boltus pretty much only because i heard he can throw the ball like 80 yards, but i would love if the hawks drafted mike reilly as a prospect qb for us, i think hes got some real potential

ThePudge
04-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm fairly sure Curtis Painter, Nate Davis, and Hunter Cantwell will all be drafted. Obviously I'm not positive, and it is very possible they could go undrafted. Still, Painter has been a guy that had a good college career (with the exception of his Senior season) and had a nice offseason (Shrine Game + Combine.) He has the tools to be a decent NFL backup. Davis has some potential for a WCO team. Cantwell will remind some of Derek Anderson as a prospect coming out.

Brent
04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I would be surprised if Brandstater wasnt drafted.

Race for the Heisman
04-24-2009, 07:17 PM
If my memory is correct, typically 13 quarterbacks are drafted each year. For me, 6 is too much of a drop off even for this class, which I don't actually think is as bad as it is made out to be. Despite virtually all of the top seniors tanking (Cullen Harper, Curtis Painter, Todd Boeckman, etc), Stafford is a legitimate franchise quarterback and so is Sanchez in my mind. Two of Freeman, Bomar, McGee, and White should work out, and I like one or two of the later round guys to do well for themselves, too (most likely Cantwell, but Nate Davis has the tools and there are a few of those really late round guys who I think could develop a la Hasselbeck or Cassel -- Willy, Crane, Hoyer, Tuitma, Harrell, to name a few).

I think we should see at least 9 drafted: the six you said plus Cantwell, Davis, and one more, if not a few more on top of that.

Byrd430
04-24-2009, 11:03 PM
I would be very surprised.

Hate to bring this up AGAIN but Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round. Teams will always look for a QB who can become a sturdy backup, who can step in when the star goes down, and maybe possibly become a Brady. Not that they put that kind of expectations on a kid like that, but why not? Teams with stable starters but not superstars, and have good depth on their team, will most likely pick these players up. Few of those teams in the league.

Burger
04-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I love Jason Boltus, he'll be this Class's Tom Brady.

MenOfTroy
04-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Bomar's a really talented guy. I think he's been extremely overlooked, but we'll see tomorrow for sure.

ThePudge
04-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Bomar's a really talented guy. I think he's been extremely overlooked, but we'll see tomorrow for sure.

Probably not. You'll most likely see on Sunday for Bomar.

MenOfTroy
04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Ah, you're technically right. I still forget that "day one" now includes only the first two rounds.

MenOfTroy
04-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone familiar with Chris Pizzotti, Harvard QB?

6'5 3/8", 225, runs a 4.8, very athletic, good arm strength, strong pocket presence, intelligent, and a high character guy. Also the grandson of the 1946 #1 overall pick. He's been likened to Kevin O'Connell, and I've also heard the Flacco comparison, although his arm obviously isn't at that level.

NFL.com scouting report: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chris-pizzotti?id=89780#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

Strongside
04-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Anyone familiar with Chris Pizzotti, Harvard QB?

6'5 3/8", 225, runs a 4.8, very athletic, good arm strength, strong pocket presence, intelligent, and a high character guy. Also the grandson of the 1946 #1 overall pick. He's been likened to Kevin O'Connell, and I've also heard the Flacco comparison, although his arm obviously isn't at that level.

NFL.com scouting report: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chris-pizzotti?id=89780#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

No way would I want a ginger Quarterback.

daullaz
04-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Some team is taking Mike Reilly in the draft.