PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Jackson's Sudden Stock Rise

hugegmenfan
04-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Jackson at one point was considered easily available to the Jets at 17 and other teams around around the 15-20 area. Is his sudden rise to as far as #3 on some mock drafts simply due to his natural ability to play DE in a 3-4 or has he performed exceptionally well at recent work outs.

I think Jackson is being set up to be a disappointment only because of where he will be chosen. I would say he is the 4th rated DE in this draft behind Orakpo, Brown, and Ayers but he very well may go ahead of all of them. As may be a top 5 pick he is going to be expected to be great- but will he be...

Thoughts....

BuddyCHRIST
04-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Because guys who can play the 3-4 DE are rare, especially that can make an early impact, these are typically lower round guys who take some time to develop. And with about half the league playing a 3-4, he's gonna be in high demand.

bored of education
04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
The 3-4 DE position is not the most purdy but it allows those 3-4 OLBS to get those high sack numbers. So they are sorta the LT of the 3-4 D? I guess?

I don't like Jackson as either 3-4 De or 4-3 DE. He makes me sick but thats me. He will be more rich than me so I suck. :(

quincyyyyy
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Jackson will be a JAG in this league and whoever drafts them will be disappointed.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Well going back to the start of the season Jackson was rated very high then. He won't get a lot of sacks as was evidenced by no more than 4.5 sacks in any season. However if a team needs a LE or 5 tech then he will get pushed up and with more and more teams running a 30 front then those players will be overdrafted

Splat
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Well going back to the start of the season Jackson was rated very high then. He won't get a lot of sacks as was evidenced by no more than 4.5 sacks in any season. However if a team needs a LE or 5 tech then he will get pushed up and with more and more teams running a 30 front then those players will be overdrafted

He had 10 sacks in 2006.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Tyson-Jackson.php

DeepThreat
04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
His ability to play in a 3-4 and actually provide a little pass rush. He is a good enough pass rusher to play end in a 4-3, so he'll be good at getting after the quarterback.

BigBanger
04-24-2009, 04:08 PM
He had 10 sacks in 2006.

Quentin Moses had a number that rivaled that. He's not going to get to the QB. And if you think he will, then you don't much about pass rushing or Tyson Jackson.

AntoinCD
04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
He had 10 sacks in 2006.

I could have sworn I read somewhere thats all he had. Must've been someone else

EDIT; I know what it was I kinda mixed him up with Ayers. Jackson had 4.5 last year and Ayers has never had more than 4. My bad

Splat
04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
He had 10 sacks in 2006.

Quentin Moses had a number that rivaled that. He's not going to get to the QB. And if you think he will, then you don't much about pass rushing or Tyson Jackson.

I didn't say he would calm down.

JT Jag
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
If Tyson Jackson keeps rising up boards at the rate he has, he'll end up going in the third round... last year.

04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
He had 10 sacks in 2006.

In a 3-4 defense that year too. Weird. Jackson is the only true elite 5-tech in the draft, it's that simple.

DeathbyStat
04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I think scouts and teams allways had him this high we're just know hearing about it now

PossibleCabbage
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
I secretly suspect that Jackson's stock hasn't really risen with anybody who counts. I think scouts thought this highly of him from the beginning, it just takes a while for amateur and professional draftniks to tease information away from teams.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Jackson will be a JAG in this league and whoever drafts them will be disappointed.

No biggy but this just urks me...you cant be a JAG. JAG stands for Just Another Guy...so saying he is going to be A Just Another Guy makes no sense. Just saying. I see this a lot.

T-RICH49
04-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't like Jackson as either 3-4 De or 4-3 DE. He makes me sick but thats me. He will be more rich than me so I suck. :(

amen brother BOE preach it

Mr. Hero
04-24-2009, 05:30 PM
jarron Gilbert > Tyson Jackson.

Just putting that out there.

ChezPower4
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
It's hard to find 5 tech. players that are good at rushing the passer. I'm not really surpised to see Jackson moving up boards I think that it's very possible that Jackson could go in the top 10.

Cigaro
04-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Jackson will be viewed as a bust in a few years if he goes top ten. Why? He's not top ten talent, no where near it. He's a decent prospect, and in this draft, worth a first rounder, but not a top ten pick in the first round.

Mr. Hero
04-24-2009, 05:53 PM
TJ has the upside to validate a top ten pick, I just don't like the inconsistency he showed at LSU. He doesn't seem as tough or as motivated as Gilbert, who really doesn't have worse upside.

hugegmenfan
04-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Exactly- if hes going in the top 10 its automatic hes considered a bust, only because top 10 talent is supposed to be great and he is just not. Hes a solid 3-4 DE and plays the position well but is not a force- I would actually compare him to Marcus Spears, former LSU DE, on the cowboys

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I still like Tyson Jackson as a converted DT in a 4-3, where his time playing DE at LSU might translate into an ability to effectively pressure the pocket on the inside.

He's an okay athlete for a DE, but he has near elite measurables for DT with outstanding pass rush ability for the position.

ironman4579
04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
At this point it really wouldn't surprise me if the rumours of him going top 5 turn out to be true. I can see the Chiefs grabbing him, as I've heard that from a few places. But it's highly possible that it's a smoke screen to try and get some interest in a trade up as well. I don't know if he'll ever be worth it if he gets drafted that high though.

BigBanger
04-24-2009, 07:02 PM
At this point it really wouldn't surprise me if the rumours of him going top 5 turn out to be true. I can see the Chiefs grabbing him, as I've heard that from a few places. But it's highly possible that it's a smoke screen to try and get some interest in a trade up as well. I don't know if he'll ever be worth it if he gets drafted that high though.
Not a smokescreen since no one else wants him as bad as the Chiefs need him, and they know they're stuck at 3. No one wants that pick. No one. Not even KC. The Chiefs have ZERO 34 personnel, and Tyson Jackson is really the only guy in this draft that can help them right away.

keylime_5
04-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds like if the Chiefs take Curry instead of Jackson, then Cleveland will take Jackson. Jackson should be a top 5 pick when it's all said and done. If he can be a Seymour type player he's worth a top 5 pick. If he's only a Marcus Spears type not so much. I think he'll be a lot like Trevor Pryce. He's very athletic, doesn't look as stout as Spears, he's more trim, I think he'll be a better pass rusher in the NFL than Spears.

ironman4579
04-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Not a smokescreen since no one else wants him as bad as the Chiefs need him, and they know they're stuck at 3. No one wants that pick. No one. Not even KC. The Chiefs have ZERO 34 personnel, and Tyson Jackson is really the only guy in this draft that can help them right away.

I don't disagree since the only other team I could see even thinking about trading up for him would possibly be Green Bay, and that's a long way to come up.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I totally buy the idea that Tyson Jackson will be a better NFL player than college player. He just wasn't really ever able to put things totally together in college (in 2006, his pass rush was great but his run defense was lackluster and in '07 and '08 his run defense came around but his pass rush wasn't there).

Now, even buying into that idea, would I take him in the top 5? Not really. He's not really a very safe pick and I don't think he has the productivity either. His talent could make him a top 10 pick, but in a draft like this, I'm not entirely clear on the reason to his rise. It could just be some teams viewing him as a guy with a lot of talent and a good approach to the game who is likely to put it all together in the NFL. I don't know.

It's as strange a rise as I've seen, but while I might not agree with all the reasons for it, I certainly appreciate them.

Cigaro
04-24-2009, 07:50 PM

B.J. Raji? Jaron Gilbert? Ron Brace?

BigBanger
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
B.J. Raji? Jaron Gilbert? Ron Brace?
They obviously haven't shown any interest in Raji. Maybe they question his NT ability... He's the only other viable option.

Gilbert and Brace? Are they going to take either of those guys at 3? Or are they going to take either of them with the second round pick they don't have?

Like I said, Jackson is pretty much the only guy that can help that D-Line.

Cigaro
04-24-2009, 08:31 PM
They obviously haven't shown any interest in Raji. Maybe they question his NT ability... He's the only other viable option.

Gilbert and Brace? Are they going to take either of those guys at 3? Or are they going to take either of them with the second round pick they don't have?

Like I said, Jackson is pretty much the only guy that can help that D-Line.

You said Tyson Jackson was the only 3-4 prospect who could help right away in the entire draft. Brace and Gilbert may be second rounders, but they also could very easily immediately contribute.

GB12
04-24-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't disagree since the only other team I could see even thinking about trading up for him would possibly be Green Bay, and that's a long way to come up.
**** no. The **** going around that everyone suddenly loves giving him to us at 9 is ridiculous enough. We're not going to take him at 9, and theres not a chance in hell we'd trade up for him.

ironman4579
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
**** no. The **** going around that everyone suddenly loves giving him to us at 9 is ridiculous enough. We're not going to take him at 9, and theres not a chance in hell we'd trade up for him.

I completely agree. I just meant that GB would be the only team I could see that would have a need for 3-4 end in the top 10 other than KC and Cleveland. I don't think you'll take him at #9 because he probably won't be there.

quincyyyyy
04-24-2009, 11:09 PM
No biggy but this just urks me...you cant be a JAG. JAG stands for Just Another Guy...so saying he is going to be A Just Another Guy makes no sense. Just saying. I see this a lot.

JAG has developed into a word unto itself within our lexicon. So as a noun an article preceding it is appropriate. Or you could stop correcting peoples grammar on an internet message board. Those kinds of posters piss me off to no end. Just saying. I see you guys a lot.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2009, 11:23 PM
JAG has developed into a word unto itself within our lexicon. So as a noun an article preceding it is appropriate. Or you could stop correcting peoples grammar on an internet message board. Those kinds of posters piss me off to no end. Just saying. I see you guys a lot.

Wow, what nice guy. lol. Calm down there. I dont care if it has become a part of your lexicon. It's not actually a word. Meh, use it as you please but, it doesnt make any sense...unless of course you're saying he is go to become a Jaguar. ;) I dont typically fix grammatical errors or things of this nature, that is what Sniper is for. I just get a little urked when I see it used this way...most people dont even know the actual meaning behind the acronym, in my experience. No big deal, partner.

ChiFan24
04-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow, what nice guy. lol. Calm down there. I dont care if it has become a part of your lexicon. It's not actually a word. Meh, use it as you please but, it doesnt make any sense...unless of course you're saying he is go to become a Jaguar. ;) I dont typically fix grammatical errors or things of this nature, that is what Sniper is for. I just get a little urked when I see it used this way...most people dont even know the actual meaning behind the acronym, in my experience. No big deal, partner.

Irked.

I'm sorry, just thought I'd be the a-hole ;). Carry on conversing about this Tyreus Jackson fellow.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Irked.

I'm sorry, just thought I'd be the a-hole ;). Carry on conversing about this Tyreus Jackson fellow.

lol...I get that one myself. I always type urked...I dont know why exactly. haha. I did it twice you see? Like I said I dont fix grammatical errors. I just protect the usage of J.A.G.

I dont normally have a problem with you're. lol

the decider13
04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
lol...I get that one myself. I always type urked...I dont know why exactly. haha. I did it twice you see? Like I said I dont fix grammatical errors. I just protect the usage of J.A.G.

I dont normally have a problem with you're. lol

Actually...JAG stads for Judge Advocate General. Just putting it out there lol

I personally really like Jackson as a prospect, and really hope he ends up in orange and blue.

M.O.T.H.
04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
You still want Jackson if Raji is on the board as well?

You guys could always go with Marcus Thomas at Nose, as has been rumored...and I guess you guys do have Fields. I'm thinking Raji would be nice but, the good 5 technique guy is scarce in this draft. An interesting position to be in.

the decider13
04-24-2009, 11:53 PM
If Raji is still on the board, I think he is the no brainer pick. I think we have more possibilities at piecing together some ok D ends (Kenny Peterson, Marcus Thomas is rumored to be trying to play there too) than getting a decent NT. I just don't feel confortable with Ronald Fields being the starting NT going in to the season.

Dream picks at 12 ( in order)
Raji
Jackson
Orakpo
Jenkins

Getting any of those would make me a happy camper

ChiFan24
04-25-2009, 12:08 AM
And so nobody can say that I didn't actually contribute to the thread, I'm completely buying Tyson at #3. I was on the KC trade down bandwagon, but surprisingly enough Washington probably won't give up what it takes to get up there, and Cleveland at #5 might not be as desperate for Crabtree as I though they were. So if they're stuck at #3, and the options are Jackson, a defensive lineman who fits the scheme perfectly and probably give them Ty Warren-level ability, or Aaron Curry, the dictionary definition of a square peg in a round hole, they're going Jackson. Of course, I'd prefer B.J. Raji there, but I'm not about to argue with Pioli.

EDIT: also, am I correct in assuming avatars were removed because of the extra traffic tomorrow?

brat316
04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
because no one wants 05 to happen. Might as well take the player you want and reach for him even though other people think he is not worthy of the spot.

No one thought Ware or Merriman was worth top 5 pick.

M.O.T.H.
04-25-2009, 12:26 AM
I must admit, I am excited to see where these 3-4 convert teams go. It's always interesting to see them overhaul their defense in just a year. On the other hand it does suck that the 3-4 is becoming more popular and thus, Dallas' prospect pool becomes more shallow. But yeah, it's always fun to see how these things unfold.

I was actually hoping Marcus Thomas would get the nod at Nose tackle for the Broncos. In a Ratliff esque one gap penetrator type role...but, then you figure if they dont go Raji, Nolan does have that prior connection with Fields...and he may opt to stay with the more conventional usage of the 3-4 in his hybrid type defense. Although, he does install a lot of one gap into his variation...but he does love the "true" NT. An interesting development to witness indeed. :) Good luck, especially to KC and DEN who need a lot of work. I cant wait for tomorrow. I'm rabbling because, of my antsy-ness and boredom. haha.

quincyyyyy
04-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Actually...JAG stads for Judge Advocate General. Just putting it out there lol

I personally really like Jackson as a prospect, and really hope he ends up in orange and blue.

That would be real sad. First you trade a franchise QB then you pick A JAG super high. That might be the worst offseason in NFL history. Josh McDaniels would single handidly ruin your franchise.