PDA

View Full Version : A question about Peyton Manning and his no huddle...

d34ng3l021
04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
1. I was wondering if and how well Peyton Manning ran the no huddle as a rookie.

2. When would you say that the Colts became a predominantly no huddle team (I dont watch too many Colts games. I am assuming they were calling most of the plays at the LOS)

This is basically to see how his development compares with Matt Ryan. He was running the no huddle in his 2nd game and by the end of the season he was able to audible based on the coverages he saw. With all the weapons on offense and the effectiveness of Ryan in the no huddle, I think we will look to run more of it.

Bengalsrocket
04-24-2009, 09:19 PM
1. I was wondering if and how well Peyton Manning ran the no huddle as a rookie.

2. When would you say that the Colts became a predominantly no huddle team (I dont watch too many Colts games. I am assuming they were calling most of the plays at the LOS)

This is basically to see how his development compares with Matt Ryan. He was running the no huddle in his 2nd game and by the end of the season he was able to audible based on the coverages he saw. With all the weapons on offense and the effectiveness of Ryan in the no huddle, I think we will look to run more of it.

The No huddle is hard to run. There are two benefits of the no huddle from what I understand. The overall idea is to catch them off guard, first by leaving mismatches on the field (if your slot receiver is getting covered by a linebacker who can't keep up etc.). Also, it leaves the defense tired - and when they're tired, and don't know the snap count, it leads to bad timing which can cause them to jump early and give you 5 yards, or possibly worse, jump late and let a big play break open.

The downfall to the No huddle is that your team gets similar disadvantages. You're tired from non-stop playing, you can have a mismatch that is hurting a star player on your team (I'm thinking something like, your slot receiver and #2 have good match ups, but Roddy White can't get open because you're not making adjustments for him), etc.

I don't specifically remember Peyton running the no huddle his rookie year, but if he did I would say not much. I believe (and could very well be wrong on this) that it took him 2-3 years to start running it effectively. A lot of the colts offense hinges on the O. coordinator sending 2 plays into Peyton Manning's helmet so that he can decide on the line which play is best suited to create a mismatch. However, this is not the no huddle offense. Still though, I believe in 2004 (that big 49 TD year that Peyton had) is when you could kind of declare them as a "no huddle offense" (though they still used the huddle the majority of the team).

Cincinnati use to run it a lot, especially when Palmer was playing well. Most Cincinnati fans will agree that Palmer runs the No-huddle beautifully, and it feels like we always put up points whenever he does. I believe Palmer was running the no huddle his 3rd year in the league (remember, he sat on the bench for the first year though).

Matt Ryan seems as cerebral (if not more) than both Palmer and Peyton. I'm sure if they practiced it this off season, he could run it very smoothly. My concern would be the rest of the offense keeping up with him. The good thing for Atlanta is that Roddy White already seems to have great timing with Ryan, which will increase the effectiveness of the no huddle.

anyways, that's my 2 cents.