PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis signs with the Browns

BigDawg819
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791313

Well that certainly improves the Browns and opens the door for the McGahee trade for the Ravens....

The Unseen
03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Seems fitting, since he already owns alot of their records.

RWFender1
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
interesting turn of events. now it definately makes more sense for them to draft Brady Quinn with the 2nd overall pick instead of Peterson

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
How the hell does that improve them? It's hilarious, Jamal burns the browns one last time. I can't wait to see how much they paid for him, every penny one more than he's worth.

hugegmenfan
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
i would also say this probably means they r not drafting AD- its still very possible but they probably go Joe Thomas now

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
interesting turn of events. now it definately makes more sense for them to draft Brady Quinn with the 2nd overall pick instead of PetersonIs that to suggest that they trade up with the Lions? Or... what?

Please clarify.

Smooth Criminal
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't like this signing at all. Lewis is on the downside of his career and will not be productive. If they pass on AP because of this signing it will be a huge mistake.

Number 10
03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I love it when guys sign with teams in their division.

RWFender1
03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Brady quinn is who they should take now

etk
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
interesting turn of events. now it definately makes more sense for them to draft Brady Quinn with the 2nd overall pick instead of Peterson

They have the 3rd pick, & I thought Quinn was gonna be their guy all along.

TacticaLion
03-07-2007, 08:00 PM
They have the 3rd pick, & I thought Quinn was gonna be their guy all along.Many have thought that they'd take Peterson at #3... but now, with Lewis, it seems that they'll take Quinn.

Freddy G
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Pick is still AD, maybe Branch.

Drounghns will be cut and Lewis and AD will give us the RB tandem we need to be successful. ala: Maroney/Dillon

I hope we didn't pay too much because he isn't even close to what he once was.

Number 10
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Lewis did not sign with the Browns according to NFL Network.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
This is so confusing. All these reports that conflict each other. It seems every thread thus far has been a 'is it true or not?' feel.

Number 10
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
This is so confusing. All these reports that conflict each other. It seems every thread thus far has been a 'is it true or not?' feel.

Welcome to FA

RaiderNation
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
looks like either thomas quinn or branch will be the pick

BigDawg819
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
If John Clayton reports it its the truth....

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
All recent indications have pointed to them going with QB or Joe Thomas with that pick. This probably further solidifies that. They'll probably add a young RB in day 2 as well. Look for AD to drop a bit ... I'm not sold that Houston is in love with him ... so Atlanta could be sitting pretty (unless some team moves up - say ... Buffalo or Green Bay).

bored of education
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Droughns and lewis, interesting. get some linemen they will be ok

BigDawg819
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Not too mention I think this cements the fact that they will pick Brady Quinn now, plus the fact that the owner and the head coach were at his pro day.

BigDawg819
03-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Lewis did not sign with the Browns according to NFL Network.

Now Adam Schefter reports that Jamal Lewis and the Browns reached an agreement. Hope this quashes your concern. I hate Schefter, he "breaks" the news and hour after John Clayton. Clayton is the man and Schefter is a moron. I hope he dies...

D-Unit
03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I like the idea of Quinn in Cleveland.

keylime_5
03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
It's only a 1 year deal. The chances of us drafting Adrian Peterson weren't hurt at all, especially if we cut Droughns next week as expected.

I'm not saying we're not gonna pick Quinn anyway though, it could still go either way.

PoopSandwich
03-07-2007, 08:46 PM
This is a good signing, at worst we get a power back, at best we get a pro-bowler, we will see.

cunningham06
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Jamal Lewis was awful last year. He appears to have lost all quickness, burst, and agility. He still runs with decent power, but not having that same quickness behind it really took away from his running. That and he is a horrible receiver out of the backfield. Having a tandem RB system with Jamal Lewis in it is a horrible idea. Lewis should be nothing more than a short distance situational runner/ backup.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Maybe with Cleveland and Houston solidifying their Running Back situations, Adrian Peterson could fall to #10...

*offers a silent prayer*

Flyboy
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Maybe with Cleveland and Houston solidifying their Running Back situations, Adrian Peterson could fall to #10...

*offers a silent prayer*

Screw you. :)

cunningham06
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Houston's RB situation is not solid, we almost are, and the addition of Adrian Peterson would perfect it. If Adrian Peterson is available when the Texans pick they will pick him. You can quote me on that.

KILLERSANTA
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
This just F up my mock draft :(

princefielder28
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM

Hate to burst your ubble but it's the third pick

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
at best we get a pro-bowler, we will see.

Is that a joke? At best you get 4 ypc, which Jamal hasn't produced in 2 years.

steelcrew43
03-07-2007, 09:04 PM
scheftner is a has a wire tap on clayton

icantackleclaret
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
He inked a 1 year deal. I think Droughns is gone. I wouldn't change your mocks just yet, I still think we will take AD.

D-Unit
03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Jamal Lewis behind that OL is gonna be ugly.

keylime_5
03-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Someone in the media either Clayton, Schefter, or Cabot at the Cleveland PD said that Lewis struggled in 2005 because he missed the offseason due to jail and struggled in 2006 because he had bone spurts all year, and that he shouldn't have a problem this year. Hopefully he can churn out another 1500+yard/10+ TD season.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
double post.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Someone in the media either Clayton, Schefter, or Cabot at the Cleveland PD said that Lewis struggled in 2005 because he missed the offseason due to jail and struggled in 2006 because he had bone spurts all year, and that he shouldn't have a problem this year. Hopefully he can churn out another 1500+yard/10+ TD season.

Jamal had a serious ankle injury in '04, and hasn't been the same since. He's taken too many carries and had too many surgeries, his biggest problem though, isn't even physical, though he's lost all of his explosiveness. His biggest problem is that he has piss poor vision and piss poor intensity. He hits the hole as if caressing a baby, if that analogy can work at all. He dances around way, way too much. He is the embodiment of three yards and a cloud of dust. Even I held out hope that it was 'just an injury' and it was fixable, but last year proved, beyond any doubt, that Jamal will never regain any pre-'04 form.

WMD
03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Adrian Peterson is still gonna be their guy.

PoopSandwich
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Is that a joke? At best you get 4 ypc, which Jamal hasn't produced in 2 years.

No, at best we get a pro-bowler (If he returns to the form of 2 years ago)

I'm not saying he will be a pro-bowler.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
No, at best we get a pro-bowler (If he returns to the form of 2 years ago)

I'm not saying he will be a pro-bowler.

He was a probowler once, not 2 years ago, but three. So if he returns to his 2000+ yard season's form, then yeah.

PoopSandwich
03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
He was a probowler once, not 2 years ago, but three. So if he returns to his 2000+ yard season's form, then yeah.

Yeah, and to clear it up its not what I expect, its deffinetly what I hope for though.

Ravens1991
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
with that o-line and Jamal recent production at best getting 40 YPC is stretching it.

jriles0522
03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
with that o-line and Jamal recent production at best getting 40 YPC is stretching it.

I'll take 40 YPC in a heartbeat. Touchback, we get it at the 20, two handoffs to Jamal, TD baby.

Number 10
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
If it really is just a one year deal, that is a great signing for the Browns.

DChess
03-07-2007, 09:53 PM
this is the worst news ever. the browns now may take brady quinn, and he is defitanly not wortht he third pick. i dont want our franchise to be set back five more years, by making stupid descions, we need an impact player, anybody but quinn

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
If it really is just a one year deal, that is a great signing for the Browns.
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder if any of you are paying attention at all. This really means nothing except it gives them further stability. They didn't pay a lot for him, and they could still easily draft AP and have him share the load his rookie season.

Man_Of_Steel
03-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Might be Jamarcus and not Quinn. Its not far fetched that the Raiders take Johnson and the Lions take Thomas. Take your pick Cleveland.

ks_perfection
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
The Browns did the Ravens a huge favor. Lewis has been washed up for years and with him gone the Ravens offense will be alot better.

JoeMontainya
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
"with that o-line and Jamal recent production at best getting 40 YPC is stretching it."

Our offensive line is arguably better than the Ravens now. Since you lost Ogden and Malitolu, our LT, LG, and maybe C are better than yours. Most likely our RT is also better.

Its a known fact that Lewis struggled last year because of the bone spurts, hes heald now, why cant he have a solid year? Obviously he will be motivated.

Also I would take the Browns current offense, If we get Brady Quinn over the Ravens any day.

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
"with that o-line and Jamal recent production at best getting 40 YPC is stretching it."

Our offensive line is arguably better than the Ravens now. Since you lost Ogden and Malitolu, our LT, LG, and maybe C are better than yours. Most likely our RT is also better.

Its a known fact that Lewis struggled last year because of the bone spurts, hes heald now, why cant he have a solid year? Obviously he will be motivated.

Also I would take the Browns current offense, If we get Brady Quinn over the Ravens any day.

Dude you are rediculous. JO is not gone and Mulitalo was not a starter last year. Bone spurts? Nice. Of course he's miraculously healed after three terrible years.

21ST
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
too bad he will probly end the year on IR with a knee injury, but i hope he does well

JoeMontainya
03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
bohleive - McGahee is much better? Cant catch, cant block, comes out on third downs, said publicly he doent like football and does it to get paid, wont work out in the offseason anywhere near the rest of the team, is a locker room cancer, averaged less yards per carry than JL, and tries to take everything outside, congrats.

At Least jamal rushed for 1000 yards last year.

Lewis was obviously better than what we had, and we only have him for 1 year, so whats the big deal?

Bohleive
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
bohleive - McGahee is much better? Cant catch, cant block, comes out on third downs, said publicly he doent like football and does it to get paid, wont work out in the offseason anywhere near the rest of the team, is a locker room cancer, averaged less yards per carry than JL, and tries to take everything outside, congrats.

At Least jamal rushed for 1000 yards last year.

So it's about McGahee now? And yeah, McGahee is much better. Please debate that. Everything you just stated you took from a bitter Bills fan. And no, Jamal had a lower ypc avg last season.

PalmerToCJ
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
As a non-biased fan and you're both rivals. McGahee isn't great for the Ravens offense IMO but he's sure better than Lewis.... Lewis is done, he was the big weakness for the Ravens last year.

omecool20
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
it is a win win for both. He is only getting a year's contract. I think this gig is his last chance saloon. To prove that he is still a viable player.

PACKmanN
03-07-2007, 11:36 PM
so how much is he making?

niel89
03-07-2007, 11:41 PM
3.5 mil for 1 year

BigDawg819
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I still say that the Ravens need to address RB in the draft and stop this nonsense with Willis.

Spectre
03-08-2007, 12:31 AM
This doesn't change the Browns' chances of drafting Peterson.

In essence, all we're doing is subbing out Droughns for Lewis (which is an upgrade).

No big deal here as far as I'm concerned - Peterson will just take over when Lewis' contract expires next year.

Caddy
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM

In essence, all we're doing is subbing out Droughns for Lewis (which is an upgrade).

No big deal here as far as I'm concerned - Peterson will just take over when Lewis' contract expires next year.

A two pronged attack of Peterson and Lewis would work quite well for a season in my opinion.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:20 AM

thats how i see it, plus i really like the two back system, and it works well if you have a rookie, benson, maroney, it doesnt really wear out the rookie back, and doesnt put too much pressure on them. deftinaly a good move if they take peterson

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Michael Turner is going to be a Brown. A 1 year deal? Michael Turner say hello to Cleveland.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Michael Turner is going to be a Brown. A 1 year deal? Michael Turner say hello to Cleveland.

what makes you possibly say that? we would have to give up alt to get him, and the browns are in no postion to trade picks, especially after they picked up a previous 2000 yard back, and the top RB in the draft avaliable when we pick.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:38 AM
what makes you possibly say that? we would have to give up alt to get him, and the browns are in no postion to trade picks, especially after they picked up a previous 2000 yard back, and the top RB in the draft avaliable when we pick.

Turner is going to be unrestriced in 2008, the Browns have no RB in 2008, Turner's skills and style fit what Romeo's scheme prefers.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Turner is going to be unrestriced in 2008, the Browns have no RB in 2008, Turner's skills and style fit what Romeo's scheme prefers.

we will have a back, his names adrian peterson, plus even if we didnt get him, we wouldnt spend money on a free agent HB two years in a row.

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:47 AM
we will have a back, his names adrian peterson, plus even if we didnt get him, we wouldnt spend money on a free agent HB two years in a row.

It was a 1 year deal... so you'll need to.

And Peterson at number 3 will cost more than Turner in FA...

Non_Sequitur
03-08-2007, 01:52 AM

Oak- Jamarcus Russell
Det- Joe Thomas
Cle- Calvin Johnson
TB- Alan Branch
Ari- Levi Brown

EdReedUnstoppable
03-08-2007, 01:54 AM
I think the Browns got a good pickup here, Jamal needs to get away from Baltimore and I think he still has something left to give. And if we pick up Willis thats not an upgrade over Jamal, IMO its a downgrade at least Jamal can break some tackles and tote the rock 30 times a game if need be.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Oak- Jamarcus Russell
Det- Joe Thomas
Cle- Calvin Johnson
TB- Alan Branch
Ari- Levi Brown

if that does happen, then arizona will take a DE

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:55 AM
I think the Browns got a good pickup here, Jamal needs to get away from Baltimore and I think he still has something left to give. And if we pick up Willis thats not an upgrade over Jamal, IMO its a downgrade at least Jamal can break some tackles and tote the rock 30 times a game if need be.

ahha you really hate that willis pick up dont you

keylime_5
03-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I still think we'll draft Adrian peterson. Lewis is just an upgrade over what Droughns was supposed to be this season, and next year he will be playing somewhere else as a backup or short yardage back. If we draft Quinn I think we were gonna draft him even if we had Droughns instead of Lewis

portermvp84
03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Does this mean since they signed Jamal Lewis they'll draft Brady Quinn or Calvin Johnson?

PoopSandwich
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Does this mean since they signed Jamal Lewis they'll draft Brady Quinn or Calvin Johnson?

I wish I knew that answer lol.

JoeMontainya
03-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Noone will know until draft day so speculation is pointless. Everyone thought Phil would take Ngata last year, and when he was there for us at 12, we traded down so...

LEGALIZE_THESHIZZLE
03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
he's got that big old voice

lod01
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791313

Well that certainly improves the Browns and opens the door for the McGahee trade for the Ravens....

You kidding? It's rare when a team signs a free agent and INSTANTLY becomes worse off. Cleveland did that with Tippy Toes Lewis.

He will be lucky to average 3 ypc in 2007.

keylime_5
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Tony Grossi of the Cleveland PD said that the Browns are still leaning towards Peterson, but that Quinn and Thomas are still in the picture.

What makes you think of Johnson as a possibility, they don't want a WR, they want either a QB, RB, or OL, everybody has known that for like ever.

BlindSite
03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Interesting pickup, Jammal Lewis probably has something left in the tank. He's not a bad guy in the locker room and he's determined to do well wherever he is. I just hope Romeo Knows what he's doing, if he passes on someone the fans want and they have a losing season he's ass is gonna be looking for a job.

JoeMontainya
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Jamal Lewis said in a call in interview that he had surjury on his leg to fix the bone spurts, and that he will be 100% by the season. he also said he is as determined as ever to prove to Phil Savage that he can succeed and make the Browns win. he said his leg feels alot better and he will return to his old speed. He talked about how much the injury effected him and his cutting ability etc last year and said hes real excited to come back full go.

Im exited for him. He also said that the Browns told him they arent done improving the OL, and it will be addressed again before the 2007 season.

niel89
03-08-2007, 07:51 PM
well best of luck to jamal. we just have to crush him when it comes time. :D

jkpigskin
03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
jamal only can run BIG against the browns... now they he is on their team... he has noone to run over

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Tony Grossi of the Cleveland PD said that the Browns are still leaning towards Peterson, but that Quinn and Thomas are still in the picture.

What makes you think of Johnson as a possibility, they don't want a WR, they want either a QB, RB, or OL, everybody has known that for like ever.

id expect to hear alot of reports out of cleveland that they are in love with johnson and would be tough to pass him up, it only be smart to rave over him that way knowing if he's there tampa may be sweating at the chance to miss out on him, so maybe they feel the need to jump up one slot, or maybe cleveland really does see how special johnson can be, and go for a qb later

Non_Sequitur
03-09-2007, 03:07 AM

Hmm...

maybe that their only two legit passing targets are oft injured and always double covered.

Johnson would run the show.